The Renascibilitas Crusade [Redemptor WIP]

Marshal Mattias

You mean this shape? :fakenopic:

It's a good shape.

Yeah, it was weird - yesterday the link wouldn't work, today it works even though I haven't changed it... Something was wrong with my photo bucket library for some reason. Anywho, now it works - so thanks to whoever it was that did the orb-crozius as I have 'borrowed' it ;) Just need to add some chains and he will be ready to rock!

Hehe, yeah, I was just looking at that crozius with its little spike-ball at the top and thinking... "It's just not quite right..."

Considered leaving off the second wing-pieces and adding a a large flat cross to each side (ala Grim's) but it felt wrong - the four-pronged thing is quite a distinctive look for this guy and I didn't want to lose it!

Hehe, yeah, I was just looking at that crozius with its little spike-ball at the top and thinking... "It's just not quite right..."

"It's an Orb, but it could be...holier..."

Just wish I got the bugger when he was going for like $10 on bitz sites now.  I coulda beaten you to it...and then never gotten around to painting him :P

.....judging from how the sword dread is modelled, I'm gonna come out and say it.

"No,no,no... it's not a Dread CCW Fist. It's a Dread SHIELD BASH. The flamer is just there to burn the corpse after I cave your skull in."

Hehe, yeah, pretty much!

I'm hoping that the weaponry is ambiguous enough to claim whichever loadouts I want really - the sword could be a Dread CCW, or maybe claim it as the armour-piercing chain fist? The the shield could be either a CCW or claim it as a siege hammer - bet you'd be pretty concussed after a hit from that! As it happens, the shield is simply gripped by the fist holding it, so it can easily be removed if necessary.

Looking good!

I need more Holy hand grenades in my life, they seem Ideal in most situations!

Sadly I have used my BaC chaplain with the NL's legion so it won't get a similar look.

I haven't used the crozius yet though so there is still hope left for another zealous chaplain on the way (if only they were as good in game as the models can look).

Keep it up Brother!

Dry-fitting my apothecary. I've had images in my head of the Helsreach command squad since I first read the novel, but never got round to picking up the box. Now I'm getting to play around dry-fitting and kit-bashing!

My 1st take on Nerovar, with a place-holder head for now:

http://i1287.photobucket.com/albums/a628/matzeke/BC337515-8E55-434F-9BD2-166F84A51071_zpsrbsut3f8.jpg

Dry-fitting my apothecary. I've had images in my head of the Helsreach command squad since I first read the novel, but never got round to picking up the box. Now I'm getting to play around dry-fitting and kit-bashing!

http://i1287.photobucket.com/albums/a628/matzeke/BC337515-8E55-434F-9BD2-166F84A51071_zpsrbsut3f8.jpg

" Well there's not much I can do here!"

looking good! I found it far better to characterise and kitbash the command squad because they can end up looking super vanilla otherwise.

One suggestion if possible would be to use a front chest piece where that helm is now and make it appear like the apoth is about to collect some gene-seed goodness!

(obv add in the rest of the marine is there aswell, there might not be much space but with cutting and some strategic rubble it could turn out well)

Thanks, glad you like it :)

I'm slightly conflicted on him, actually. Part of me wants him to be quite passive; in my head I picture him as he is portrayed at his weakest moments, faced with the death of his friends and comrades, struggling to find the strength to carry on. His helmet is on the ground in front of him as he teeters on the edge of a critical moment.

On the other hand, I worry that this might not transition well to the tabletop - a more active pose might allow him to look more like he is working in the midst of battle. I was fiddling with a 'wounded marine' style of objective marker; a deathwatch marine, injured but still fighting back. A 'working' appthecary would look great alongside it for display, and could equally look like he is tending to a leg-wound or something of his squad mates for an actual game.

I guess I just can't quite make my kind up :/

Next: Early version of Priamus - he's getting kind of a half-cross in brass etch on the top half of his shoulder pads, and I was going for a kind of reckless overhead swing with both hands. It's brash, arrogant and powerful, just how I view Priamus.

http://i1287.photobucket.com/albums/a628/matzeke/48AF7828-C326-4EC2-A122-ECD023E4A0A2_zpsq1smtt59.jpghttp://i1287.photobucket.com/albums/a628/matzeke/B9A7D6CF-F67C-4A22-9B96-15A096B92353_zpsd4r5kkre.jpg

Edited by Marshal Mattias

Now that is where I disagree with you. Apothecaries are stronger, in a lot of ways than their fellows. All marines face death, but who gets closer to more death, more often than an Apothecary?

I am a military veteran myself, and have seen, and done some :cuss but my buddy Marvin is a US Navy Corpsman who has as much, if not more combat experience as I have. I have no doubt, at all, that he has more courage and valor than I do. It's easy to get fired up fighting the enemy, and let that and your training carry you through. Marv has to stay calm and collected regardless of whether or not all hell is breaking loose around him, and keep death at bay. He has to reassure a fallen brother, who doesn't know whether he will live or die. He has to convince that marine that everything will be ok, then Marv has to make it ok, regardless of the odds. Then again, sometimes the odds are insurmountable, and his best isn't good enough, and he has to deal with it.

Also, while all marines know war, and have empathy for what their brothers experience, with Chaplains filling in where they are needed most, but can even a Chaplain empathize with an Apothecary? Every marine he saves, is merely doing his duty, but every failure is a dead marine, and surely must weigh heavily upon him. And when have you ever seen an Apothecary with a bunch of honors? He is both medic and undertaker, and he goes about it diligently, no need for honors, or even thanks.

That's how I see it anyway.

Nice work on Nero and Priamus! I quite like them as they are now, I must say, especially the scowl on Nero's face that looks just dejected at the waste, which is fitting with how the character is struggling in the novel with the losses of his comrades.

Thanks for the feedback ;)

Yeah, the head was the best in my bits box and pretty close to the picture in my head, but I want a younger look, and less anger, more sadness. I'm glad you're getting that vibe from him though, that's what the whole body language is supposed to suggest :)

I don't disagree on the points about medics in combat either, but this particular scenario is a little different. Spoilers for 'Helsreach' follow (although in these halls, you may as well tell me you've never seen Star Wars :p )

Firstly, it's the character journey of Nerovar in the book Helsreach, so that's the man in reason for the unorthodoxy. Second, his crisis of faith is because: Space Marines live and fight for hundreds of years, on average. In Helsreach, 100 die alone in a matter of days, seperated from each other and divided up among the defenders like totems. Nerovar probably harvested geneseed from countless brothers before, but never on the scale of Helsreach. He was solely responsible for recovering anything possible from the 100 of his brothers who died in one long engagement. All the duties and reports were his alone. His superior was Grimaldus, who couldn't hide that he obviously perceived the entire affair as a pointless waste of his brethren. Nerovar watched as each of them died, meticulously preserving their legacy, all while knowing that he too would die there, his work meaningless. This weighs heavily on him, and comes close to breaking him. However, he finds his strength and in the end, he faces death unbowed, unbroken and (for a space marine) beautifully. In that context, I think the character works, and I really enjoyed his journey. That's why I particularly want to try and capture something of him at his most vulnerable, because it is arguably his strongest moment.

This looks familiar :wink:

http://reho.st/self/f45faa7e337a45350b8b00c291eb3c63b378c844.jpg

Nice! Gotta love a kneeling apothecary ;)

I have another set of these legs, so next up will be a champion of some sort. I'm going to go for something like this:

The idea is that my (increasingly large) selection of champions/castellans/swordbrethren will make for an interesting Honourguard as required.

I may magnetise jump packs for my my vanguard squad, as I also picked up some Anvil Industries cloaks, which I can try and fix to the regular packs. Then when they are vanguard they won't be in the way, but when on foot they can look more sword-brethreny (that's totally a word). So many magnets, when I take into account that sometimes I'll want stormshields for vanguard too!

First thoughts on Artarion, Grimaldus' banner-bearer.

http://i1287.photobucket.com/albums/a628/matzeke/B5C913F7-480D-45CF-BA41-05578A378D39_zpsthymmsgn.jpg

He took a sniper round to the face back in the day, which was aimed at Grimaldus. He now has basically a bionic mouth and scarring to the left of his face - this head seemed to pretty much nail that. His last stand sees him wielding a chainsword in each hand, so he carries one now and I'll be looking for a spare for him to carry about his person.

Secondly, here are Sergeant Bastilan and former-Swordbrother Cador. Bastilan has an easy, confident stance. He is a born sergeant - a Templar Knight who stands tall and defiant at all times, always quick to support his brothers.

As a former Swordbrother and one who fought alongside the Emperor's Champion for many years, Cador has the unmistakeable stance of a duelist. Despite his age and extensive bionics, he is a capable warrior who brings incredible experience to the squad, as evidenced by the many honours marked upon his armour.

http://i1287.photobucket.com/albums/a628/matzeke/BD3D43B8-4DBD-4A24-94E8-492DF6E8F112_zps9tqybxg7.jpg

http://i1287.photobucket.com/albums/a628/matzeke/A2C13896-02F4-424C-AA7D-58A9F29B4DBD_zpsc3njge6k.jpg

Lastly, my WIP of my new Marshal:

http://i1287.photobucket.com/albums/a628/matzeke/D04CDE89-23E2-4644-A953-F56F1F220660_zpsrtbhqefc.jpg

The plan is to magnetise the left wrist to facilitate weapon swaps. The combat blade is just for cool/fun right now, but would interchange with various pistols or a suitably epic storm shield.

The right arm is trickier - it may be very hard to magnetise that wrist without damaging the pose. I could do it at the shoulder easily enough, but I feel like the model would lose something if I swapped for a generic arm just for an alternative weapon. I will have to sleep on it.

http://i1287.photobucket.com/albums/a628/matzeke/A5CCDDFB-9FC3-4D84-946D-B7C4D3DA9FF1_zpsugsg9eiz.jpg

Nice work on the kitbashes!

Where does that sword come from on your marshal? It looks great and I didn't find it in my search for powersword bits..

I have to say, though, the pose of the marshal doesn't work for me. Something about the right elbow being up, the angle of the wrist.. I don't know, but it looks awkward. The rest of him looks great, and I quite like the combat blade. With a downwards chop on the right arm, he would look like he's ready to follow up with a knife stab.

The sword (and most of the model) is the 'Captain Solaq' who was part of the ravenguard starter kit from the Kauyon release, and is now bundled with the command squad. The pose in the photo is actually slightly wrong because the blue-tac has sagged a little - there's lots of pics online if you want to see the correct angle of that arm. I like the pose, which is why I haven't changed much (just head, pads and plasma).

Glad you folks like them so far though. Still need lots of gubbins added (holstered pistols/bolters/seals/whatever) but they're coming together in a way I'm pleased with:

http://i1287.photobucket.com/albums/a628/matzeke/44975BFC-EAF0-4DB2-934B-5B3E8FB87507_zpsguqr7z12.jpg

Lastly, my WIP of my new Marshal:

http://i1287.photobucket.com/albums/a628/matzeke/D04CDE89-23E2-4644-A953-F56F1F220660_zpsrtbhqefc.jpg

The plan is to magnetise the left wrist to facilitate weapon swaps. The combat blade is just for cool/fun right now, but would interchange with various pistols or a suitably epic storm shield.

The right arm is trickier - it may be very hard to magnetise that wrist without damaging the pose. I could do it at the shoulder easily enough, but I feel like the model would lose something if I swapped for a generic arm just for an alternative weapon. I will have to sleep on it.

The Marshall looks grand :smile.:

Like no-nonsense, tough as nails veteran swordsman 

About magnetizing, I would recommend the shoulder option, just make sure that whatever weapon you decide to put also has a backhand swing 

Where did you find that backpack? 

Edited by Brother Logan12

Yeah, it's just that I only had one of those shoulderpads left, and though I like the sword look best I might need to run him with a TH occasionally... Which would probably be best in his left hand, actually, with a stormshield in his right... Hmm, I'll play about with it. I could always just give him a more generic BT pad for his alternate arm...

The backpack was (i think) a MaxMini piece? They might even be listed in the BT resources under the 'alternative bits' list.