The Renascibilitas Crusade [Redemptor WIP]

Marshal Mattias

Thanks for the feedback :) Answers are as follows-

Hehe, yeah with all the scattered bits in the photo, it does seem like he just threw a bit of a tantrum! :P

The legs/torso/arms/sword/left shoulder are all the 'Shadow-Captain Solaq' figure from the Ravenguard box a while back, now re-packaged in the 'Company Command' box. The rest is bits-box-bash. The cloak is conveniently part of the torso, so adding a 3rd party pack was simple.

Glad the landraider is still going down well - the pintle-mounted ZEAL is my favourite bit too :) Actually haven't gotten around to the naming yet, need to experiment with some Latin again!

As the Chaplain on the Land Raider is clearly Grimaldus (the servitors bear relics from the Temple of the Emperor Ascendant), how about "Shrine to the Emperor Ascendant", "Pulpit of the Emperor Ascendant", "Memorial to the Heroes of Helsreach" (nicknamed "the Memorial" to distinguish it from the hive and the battle), or something in honor of the Black Templars who fought beside Grimaldus in that battle?

Priamus is freaking awesome looking! I also like what you did with Nerovar. Is that Cador with his sword up?

I still have two of my command squad to do...sigh...

Thanks! I've always wanted a kind of 'charging champion' figure so Priamus and the company champion bits were the perfect excuse! Nerovar was another 'concept' I've had knocking around forever and finally got to have a go at. And yeah, that's Cador. I figure any ex-Swordbrethren still keeps a blade handy and would handle it like a master swordsman. He has a bionic arm and eye too, plus a Crux shoulder pad etc ;)

Modelling these guys has been a heck of a lot of fun - I'm excited to paint them next! I look forward to seeing your finished squad too ;)

@Bjorn:

:) The chaplain is out of the HH box set. He came with the awesome flanged-mace style crozius - I just snipped the top a little and added the Orb from the Templar upgrade sprue.

Edited by Marshal Mattias

So, with a new landraider crusader (on-sprue rather than off-eBay for a change), I'm wondering what to do with it? I thought I might attempt a big over-sized white cross up the side and across the top of the hull. I've seen plenty of Templars (Honda for example) who have achieved impressive results using masking/spray techniques. I'm hoping I can pull off something using spray cans rather than an airbrush of course. I might have some chains left over from my last 'raider too, so I can bling-it-up a little.

On a secondary note, my buddy wants to set up a 3k game for Friday evening! That's the largest force I'll have gotten on the table top myself, and of course it won't all be painted unfortunately. I'm thinking about a Landraider Spearhead, combined with a Skyhammer (currently unbuilt!) and a Ravenhawk Assault Group, plus a CAD. Maybe that's a bit too much? I'll play around with points and stick it in the army list forum.

I think I'm likely to play against a Guard army, maybe tyranids? Either way I'm probably going to put together the same list (ie something fun as hell to play!)

I've done rattle can and airbrush before for white over black and both work well. Masking tape and newspaper are great though, especially if you're using a spark can since over spray sucks.

3k is a lot of points on the table, I'd try to get some support for your Skyhammer. With that many points it would be nice to give them some additional pod units for support or something scouting close enough to help (Shadow Force comes to mind). You really don't want to see them drop and burn just to see them get wiped out soon after. $.02

Hmm. Maybe I've not gone hardenough on my Skyhammer? Unfortunately I don't have quite the requisite models to turn it into the 'meat' of the list ;)

The list is here if you have any feedback:

http://www.bolterandchainsword.com/topic/326989-black-templar-3k/

On a secondary note, my buddy wants to set up a 3k game for Friday evening!

Apoc is like ZEAL, once you've experienced it, everything else pales in comparison.

Something to think about, once you get to the Apoc levels of play, it becomes less about what you bring and more about how you use it. A moderately crafted force that knows what it wants to do will trump a bunch of pretty toys wandering around. Mobility becomes very important as you are usually fighting for or to objectives.

So think about how you play, what works for you, and what you would like to accomplish regardless of who or what the opponent is.

...and yes, people will be very concerned about three vindicators. :)

We set up a 6'x4' table with a large ruined block on a hill at one end, and a medium building on the opposite flank. There were a lot of smaller ruins/walls scattered about. We rolled for sides and the (Traitor ;) )-guardsmen got the long side with some good cover at the edge of their deployment area. They set up an aegis defence line to turn the centre/left of their area into quite the fortified position. The Tank Commander in his Vanquisher sat with his squadron-mate, a Leman Russ, in the centre area. The warlord was leading his forces from within a chimera behind the aegis as well. Out on his right side near the large buildings, two Knights deployed side-by-side, one with battle cannon/gatling and one with melta cannon/chain sword. Both were packing missile pods on the carapace. The Knights and tanks were well-bubblewrapped by plenty of guardsmen packing meltas, plasma guns, las cannons and missile launchers. The opposite flank was secured by large squad of ogryns, some with slab-shields, and with a couple of priests for buffs. A nearby unit with a filthy witch was on-hand to throw out forewarning 4+ invulnerable saves, and prescience to the las-cannon teams.

After seeing the set-up, I started to sweat a little! There was a lot of long-range heavy firepower and I had ended up without a lot of cover around my deployment :/

My list was tweaked a little from the last one I posted, but broadly:

Skyhammer with 15 devs, 4 multimelta, 1 heavy bolter, and a couple of combis. 10 assault marines with some flamers/melta bombs and an eviscerator.

Ravenhawk with combi-meltas, ironclad etc.

Spearhead with 2 crusaders and a redeemer.

Reclusiam command squad with power lances on bikes, apothecary. Las razorback.

CAD led by Grimaldus, with a 5/5 crusader squad (power sword) in LRC. Emperors Champion with another 5/5 squad (power maul) in the other LRC.

Terminator assault squad with four hammers in the LRR.

Vindicator squadron with a couple of dozer blades.

Stormtalon with missiles.

I deployed the land raiders further to the left than I wanted, but I needed to try and limit the incoming fire from the Vanquisher and Knights by using the larger building for LoS cover. The vindicators went alongside, again using what scraps they could for cover. The razorback and bikes went further out right to grab objectives.

http://i1287.photobucket.com/albums/a628/matzeke/E9B77DE5-E700-4514-A03B-48E599A37349_zpsagmmyvvi.jpg

[black Templar deployment]

We were playing Maelstrom mission 2, where we only generated tactical cards by holding objective points at the start of our turns. I tried to steal the initiative and to initiate a night-fight, but no luck - the Templars would have to weather a turn of serious shooting before they could even pop smoke!

The Knights strode out first, finding a slim angle to get some shots off at the landraiders and putting a hull point on one.

http://i1287.photobucket.com/albums/a628/matzeke/3805B5D3-ADBA-4BAF-B791-5EF866D38DC8_zpssaa7ntth.jpg

[the Knights move first after deployment]

http://i1287.photobucket.com/albums/a628/matzeke/3A776FB1-9B02-45F3-A038-93AB76B8D50B_zpsbmf7ij4s.jpg

[Enemy lines in turn 1]

The Vanquisher unbelievably missed with every shot, despite the many orders being called across the guard lines. All the missiles/las and the rest managed to knock 2 points off a vindicator, wrecking another, and put a second point on the damaged landraider. On the whole, it was better than I expected!

My turn, and I left the Skyhammer in reserve until I could position better. The redeemer made a flat-out bee-line for the large building, and the other two moved up outside before popping smoke. The vindicators pushed forward and the only one which could fire did so - between cover saves and the buff from a mysterious objective, he only tagged one lowly guardsman :/

The bikes and razorback grabbed an objective and fired to some small effect against the ogryns and guardsmen on their side of the table. I picked up a point for grabbing the objective with the LRR.

http://i1287.photobucket.com/albums/a628/matzeke/DE3A5659-FC57-4ED5-897A-42A64E0ECF83_zps50bs34zd.jpg

[the table after turn one]

Turn two, and the stormtroopers arrive in my backfield - two melta squads landed behind the vindicators and a large plasma squad dropped near the bikes. The Knights split up and came round either side of the building to close in on the LRR. The ogryns pushed up and most of the rest of the army stayed in position. Shooting dropped the LRR to its last point, and finished off the vindicator squadron. Smoke saved my other two landraiders from trouble when the Vanquisher finally hit something, as he either failed to damage or was saved against. The bikes lost a squad member to the plasma troopers.

The chain sword knight made it into contact with the redeemer and tore a hole in it, forcing the terminators out. First blood went to the enemy, but he couldn't tackle his objective (scour the skies) until my reserves arrived, meaning he still hasn't picked up a tactical point yet, making it 1-1 going into my turn 2.

The Skyhammer and Ravenhawk assault group both came in together, but the Stormtalon didn't make it yet.

I knew I needed to get rid of the Knights above all else, so the Devs, Sternguard and Stormraven came down in a carefully chosen layout to split the directional threats towards both Knights. The tactic worked pretty well - the D-sword knight used his shield against the Stormraven, but the sternguard stripped 3 points with combi-meltas. One set of melta Devs got a clear shot at the second knight, hitting and taking a hill point with all three shots. Not to be outdone, the other Melta squad fired through the shield and achieved the same, wrecking the walker!

http://i1287.photobucket.com/albums/a628/matzeke/8F84BCD0-A06C-488B-91C3-D4CD04386A48_zps7qlw6gmc.jpg

[an appalling photo, showing a large gap in the top left where a knight just got wrecked, and the terminators stood where their landraider used to be moments before!]

http://i1287.photobucket.com/albums/a628/matzeke/7BCBF97B-7A99-4890-A748-DFCE84AC5A57_zpsuugytsqc.jpg

[note the way the pods, combat squads, raven and sternguard deployed. Most units had a clear shot at either knight (one was stood on the corner of the building top left of photo), meaning the angled-shields were neutered heavily]

The heavy bolter and friends started clearing out the bubblewrap units.

The flamer assault squad landed and targeted the Vanquisher, burning a bunch of guardsmen who happened to be in the way ;) The eviscerator squad scattered and ended up back in ongoing reserves. Grimaldus brought his landraider up to the corner of the medium building to fire on the ogryns, but only managed a couple of wounds through a 4+ invulnerable (pesky witch!) The other raider rolled forward a little and deployed their unit ready for a charge, which they would unfortunately roll short on!

The command squad on bikes pulled a 180* and shot/charged down the two stormtroopers units behind them, eliminating both by separating the chaplain on his own to tackle the smaller squad, while the champion challenged the sergeant in the other unit and won. This stunned the enemy, who was sure my zeal would get the better of me and expected a charge into the ogryns! I actually played the objectives for once, blocking the plasma squad with the razorback and preventing a line breaker/objective steal by the troopers. The Terminators bellowed a war cry and charged the knight! The Lightning claw guy clocked a D-weapon to the face, but the others managed... Just 2 hull points! Not bad, but not enough to fell the beast... A lucky stomp roll killed 3 more terminators without any saves allowed :( Now I know how stomps work, I'll position my assaults much better next time! One plucky terminator remained...

http://i1287.photobucket.com/albums/a628/matzeke/D96AAA8B-A43F-4E83-BA1B-2F835868DD10_zpsvowswnvi.jpg

[You can do it, buddy!]

The assault squad made their charge into the Vanquisher and managed to wreck it with krak and melta!

This round I picked up a point for an objective again, and one for my bikers' challenge.

Enemy turn three, and the game was looking close!

The knight and terminator remained locked in combat, failing to wound each other (even tanning a stomp!) while the assault squad was brought down to two men from massed fire. The Devs lost a few bolters/sergeants to vengeful shooting, but held their ground with the heavy weapons. A neophyte from the deployed crusader squad jumped on a krak missile to save his squad, while nearby a series of tankhunting/prescience buffed meltas managed to blow apart Grinamdus's precious zeal-wagon!

http://i1287.photobucket.com/albums/a628/matzeke/2AECB61A-8018-4D54-AC9A-0C88A47F3AF3_zpsygn4yhwl.jpg

[Grim might be in trouble, but those assault marines are having a good day!]

More shooting whittled them down to 7 men, before the Ogryns made a long-range charge into combat. As the combat started, Grim challenged the Bonehead leader and showed him how if a collapsing temple can't squash Grim, neither will and ogryn ;)

The rest of the squad wasn't so lucky, being reduced to an initiate and his neophyte. The heroic initiate tanked 8 armour saves to protect his neophyte from the AP4 mauls! Two weakened squads of guardsmen charged my surviving 2 assault marines, trying to finish them off. The MVP marines burned 3 on the charge, and butchered another 5 in close combat without breaking a sweat thanks to counterattack. Then the ran-down the last guy as he tried to run ;)

My turn three, and stuff got real...

The Stormtalon arrived and took advantage of a rear-armour shot against the enemy warlord's chimera (he span it around for those earlier melta shots) and wrecked the vehicle.

The surviving LRC and devastators began massacring the entire left flank of guardsmen and scored some hull points on the Leman Russ. The raven deployed the ironclad and picked up the sternguard, and positioned for a shot at the leman russ as well, taking a hullpoint too and wrecking it. The two assault marines burned a command unit and missile teams, and charged in as well to eliminate two more squads! The crusaders and EC charged into the ogryn fight to support/rescue Grimaldus. The bikes risked dangerous terrain to make their charge into the same mob.

http://i1287.photobucket.com/albums/a628/matzeke/BDA68500-C76F-4686-8E9E-FFAA68F85FC9_zps9r4opd09.jpg

[oh, the humanity!]

The ironclad charged into the knight, but both mechs unbelievably failed to damage each other, as did the terminator, who also survived another stomp!

The second assault squad made it to the table and engaged the enemy HQ squad, killing the squad mooks while losing their sergeant to the power weapon of the enemy warlord!

At this point, the game was over - I had picked up a few more tactical cards, while the foe still only had first blood. I now had his warlord at the mercy of the assault marine, while the rest of my Skyhammer was largely intact. His tanks were all dead and the ogryns were now outnumbered and faced with a whole mess of power weapons, while the witch had melted his own brain last turn and couldn't provide the 4+ invulnerable save. My flyers hadn't been touched by the Icarus gun thanks to careful positioning, and to cap it off, we played out the next round of combat with the knight, who was sucker punched by the ironclad and wrecked (his name isn't 'beast slayer' for nothing ;) ).

http://i1287.photobucket.com/albums/a628/matzeke/B6002081-003C-4E97-AE3C-C38F1DDDCB59_zpsy8cxpcy7.jpg

["Who're you calling 'Shorty' ya big red git?" *smash*]

I took linebreaker too and ended up 7-1 on victory points (not including the inevitable warlord-kill should we have kept playing).

A glorious victory for the Black Templars, and another world brought back under the armoured fist of the Emperor's most loyal sons!

Imperator Vult!

[sorry for any typos etc, this was written on a phone with a smashed-up screen and it's really hard to see!]

If you have any questions about the list/game, just ask!

Edited by Marshal Mattias

I just had that fridge-logic moment where I realised the ironclad should have been re-rolling to hit when he charged into combat with the knight, as he benefits from the Ravenhawk Assault Group special rule in melee as well... I missed all 6 attacks! Re-rolls should have brought it down in one turn of combat rather than two. Next time, man. Next time...

I just had that fridge-logic moment where I realised the ironclad should have been re-rolling to hit when he charged into combat with the knight, as he benefits from the Ravenhawk Assault Group special rule in melee as well... I missed all 6 attacks! Re-rolls should have brought it down in one turn of combat rather than two. Next time, man. Next time...

Have had that as well, battle will be done and dusted and a day or so later you're going "By the throne, I had re-rolls cause of X so Y could of done Z in faster"

I always forget things like hatred, master crafted and the like.

Excellent battle report and congratulations on your victory!

1. I had no idea that a 6 on the Stomp table negated Invulnerable saves. That's just brutal.

2. Favorite line:

As the combat started, Grim challenged the Bonehead leader and showed him how if a collapsing temple can't squash Grim, neither will and ogryn

3. So did you guys play Apoc or just a really big 40K game? Seems like the latter based on your report.

4. My Whirlwinds just love IG laid out in parade formation. That being said, you did an excellent job of assessing the threats and then countering them.

Very impressive generalship.

Cheers,

Thanks, you're too kind!

1) Yup, I knew from hearsay that stomp can be harsh, but didn't really know how it worked. I assumed each model under the template was 'rolled to wound' like normal. with a 6 being bad for an individual, rather than a single roll for everyone under the template! Note to self: do not bunch up under stomp templates!

2) Yeah, Grim did his thing really well - he buffed up those two assault marines who went on a rampage, he battered an enemy character in a challenge, and he survived against the odds. His leadership 10 was used a couple of times by units, but I still feel his warlord trait is a let-down. Also, if he could have brought his servitors, that squad would have been much better off - I really hope one day he will get to treat them as wargear again!

3)Yeah, we went with a standard 40k ruleset with Maelstrom of war missions. While my opponent has plenty of superheavy apoc-style units to choose from, I really don't - the spearhead was the largest thing I could find to field! He kindly refrained from bringing anything too heinous. I actually thought I was toast when I saw two Knights on the table - turns out they aren't so scary when they aren't in the Baronial Court formation ;)

Truthfully, I think he weakened them by putting them out on the flank, and they suffered when he split them up. Centre stage as an anchor for his lines, and I think they would have been much more deadly! I also got lucky in the face of the Vanquisher - by all rights that should have popped a landraider open with ease.

4) my list felt like it would really be at home tearing through ranks of guardsmen, but mostly it was stuck dealing with Knights, AV14 tanks and the unexpected ogryn deathstar! Then to really take the mickey, 2 assault marines singlehandedly wiped out dozens of the enemy each, without actually benefiting from 'suppressing fusillade.' Proving that my standard list design is way too heavily geared towards infantry-smashing - my distinct lack of ranged firepower was very nearly a crippling issue. Thankfully I managed to get away with the token stuff I brought. (Of the top of my head, I think I only had two twin linked las cannons, and some storm strike missiles, that could scratch AV at more than 24 inches! Everything else is pretty much optimal within 12"... Maybe I need to work on that :P