++ The Murderers' Call - A Night Lords Community ++

Flint13

Well I managed to find five of the old raptors on eBay for 24 bucks, little bit steep just for a set of five backpacks, but I suppose people have paid far more for far less in this hobby.

Life's hard out there for a renegade I tell ya.

Hello my dearest psychopathic kin, I have a couple of questions for you all, or at least the more heresy inclined :biggrin.:

Starting a NL 30k force, and having read through our RoW (seems good, and a good place to start) I was wondering if volkite is the main thing people outfit the three Terror squads with, and if we are allowed to take Mechanicum allies? It says no to fortifications, and other astartes, but not to mech that I can see.

Volkite is more or less mandatory. I can say from glorious experience, that 20 S5 re-rolling 1s to hit and wound (prefered enemy infantry is delicious) with deflagrate is beautiful to see. And the added bonus of charging with them straight after.

Personally I find the RoW too restrictive what with the requirement for an extra Terror Squad, only 1 HS slot with all those lovely tanks and the changes to Night Fighting with 7th Edition. It could work out decently if you load up on Rapier batteries/Contemptors and drop a tank squadron of some sort in the HS slot, not to mention bikes/jetbikes for FA.

And yes it's no allied detachments at all, so that's Legions Astartes/Solar Auxilla/Cultists/Knights/Mechanicum

Well I managed to find five of the old raptors on eBay for 24 bucks, little bit steep just for a set of five backpacks, but I suppose people have paid far more for far less in this hobby.

Life's hard out there for a renegade I tell ya.

I feel your pain: I just paid $24 just for a chain link bullets for my deredeo. Totally worth it though!

• 2 weeks later...

---I am Brother Nocturn, and I stand in midnight clad. I command the survivors of the 10th of our father's companies, The Crimson Sons!

http://www.bolterandchainsword.com/topic/313757-the-night-is-dark-and-full-of-terror-the-blacknight-gallery/

Welcome to the club, Nocturn. Looks like you have an awesome start of a Istvaan 5 massacre on your hands between the Night a lords and the Salamanders.

I'm away from my PC at the moment, but I'll add you to the roster as soon as I'm back in ^_^

---I am Brother Nocturn, and I stand in midnight clad. I command the survivors of the 10th of our father's companies, The Crimson Sons!

http://www.bolterandchainsword.com/topic/313757-the-night-is-dark-and-full-of-terror-the-blacknight-gallery/

Welcome to the family. The 10th company however, is under the command of Captain Malcharion at the time of the heresy, following his internment in a dreadnought, Sergeant Vandred Anrathi rose to command of the 10th Company, then finally leadership fell to Talos Valcoran after Vandred's death in M41 after the invasion Villamus at the hands of Huron Blackheart. 

This is all history laid out in the Night Lords trilogy by Aaron Dembski-Bowden.

Edited by Brother Heinrich

Now now, not too fast there, Heinrich! We've long established that companies don't necessarily stay operating as a coherent unit, especially since there's about 10,000 years of infighting. Brother Nocturn's 10th company might as well be an off-shoot of the 10th following Vandred's ascension. We've had three 8th companies for ages, so why can't we have a second 10th?

A bit of a shameless plug here, but if there was ever a place for shame, it wouldn't be in the CSM forums.

I've written a list based on the current codex. I know i'm limiting myself quite a bit by my choices but i'd like to keep it as thematic as possible while retaining effectiveness.

Please have a look and let me know what you think: http://www.bolterandchainsword.com/topic/313870-1850-night-lords-list-ave-dominus-nox/

Now now, not too fast there, Heinrich! We've long established that companies don't necessarily stay operating as a coherent unit, especially since there's about 10,000 years of infighting. Brother Nocturn's 10th company might as well be an off-shoot of the 10th following Vandred's ascension. We've had three 8th companies for ages, so why can't we have a second 10th?

True enough, disregard then. Man I've been in the eye far too long....

Edited by Brother Heinrich

• 2 weeks later...

I was hoping you all could help me with something. My Curze is currently awaiting a paint strip, but the one thing I don't feel I'll be able to do well is the head. And also, I just feel helmets make sense.

So, I need to find a sufficient helm for the Haunter. This unfortunately means marine heads will be waaaay too small. So far, the only descriptions of his helm describe it as a skull faced/shape.

Any ideas for a starting point? (And BTW, my gs skills are poor)

@Slipstreams I'll see how that goes if I can prise my contempor head off. Only thing I'm scared about is whether it would seem too large. The head might work on pert due to him wearing TDA, but with the high collar and all...

@Augustus now...this is where I wish I hadn't used my sev head on sev :/ however on the other hand, I'm nervous this head will be too small, lol. I'll see how it goes

Ugh, I had the same issue waaaay back when I painted my Kurze as well. I have this thing with unhelmed marines (where I hate them). I mean, it's a goddamned warzone... you don't want to get shot in the face.

I had someone suggest a Thallax head which I think could work and be the approximate right size. It would have a cool, dark eldar vibe to it.

Either way, post pics! ^_^

How about a Centurion head? they're in between a Space Marine and a Contemptor head in size, and look menacing enough (though a little bulky. But hey, you can try, right!).

Helmetless marines are a bravery thing, Flint. Back in the day there where guys who showed their bravery by charging into battle dressed in nothing but one or two war axes. Also, perhaps the helmet was damaged and they're better off without it, in terms of practicality. With 40K technology, anything could be a reason for dispensing of the helmet: a broken visor, rebreather, or connector ring (making it unable to turn), perhaps a dent made it uncomfortable or even impossible to wear? Who knows. ;) 

The only thing Graham McNeil and I ever agreed on is that marines that don't wear helms get shot in the face.

But I see your point.

i don't think a helmet would even make a difference if a 40k or 30k weapon hit you in the face:wink:

and yes i'm on the helmet off side :thumbsup:

Edited by Wicced

Against Bolt rounds it would totally make a difference.

I don't expect a helm to bounce heavy caliber rounds, but that's not what helms (or really any body armor) is for. It's to protect from glancing hits, shrapnel and small caliber weapons, just like modern military combat armor.

No offence Flint, but a bolt is a high caliber round lol.

That said, I prefer helmets because they look nicer than the real heads and they just make sense in the background.

That said, their overall effectiveness is highly dependent on the author. Sometimes they deflect the majority of energies from a bolt so that its like just getting punched. Then you get instances like in Dead Sky, Black Sun where it's just enough protection that you have a chance of survival if you get relatively immediate medical attention. Then you get the novels where an overloaded lasun shot will completely vaporise a helmet. And then yoh get the ones where an air-propelled needle will punch through the eyepiece, travel through the entire eye organ and then pierce the brain behind, killing the Space Marine. Which really does not make sense since the eye piece should be the eye lense, a multi-spectrum visual sensor, an armored layer, a video screen for the Marine to watch, and then the Marine. I mean seriously, that better be one heck of an air gun.

But I degress. Helmets look better, but their usefulness is debatable.

That said, I am very pro-helmet. Because I'm lazy. :D