Psychopomps (photos before farewell!)

Kierdale

Thank you Noctem and SanguiniusReborn.

I had considered doing his wings multi-coloured but had dismissed it, already having used various pastels on his body and I put the first coat of Gauss Blaster Green on the 'feathers' last night, but your post now made me reconsider it and I had an idea. If I'm going to do them multi-coloured then I don't want them pastel, but 'normal' paints would be...well, too normal, and day-glo is something I want to avoid as it would detract from....everything.

Then I remembered those three soulstone paints GW brought out. That I could go for.

In the fluff pieces I've written for Inspirational Friday I do have a former assault company captain whose nickname is 'The Peacock'...

Kismet, perhaps!

And 'kismet' might be a good name for that Daemon blade.

Anyway, perhaps I'll get the blue/green/red gemstone paints (and Runefang Steel as I'm still using an old pot of Mithril Silver which has seen better days and has never covered very well) this weekend.

Thanks for the idea!

Stormhost. That's it. I can't remember the names of all these newfangled paints!

If I were to do gradation down each individual feather, Leadbelcher through Runefang to Stormhost, and put the gem paint on top, do you think it would show up?

I'll be buying the gem paints tomorrow or Monday.

I got a lot of other progress done on the Raptor Peacock lord but also took a step backwards: I had his head almost done but I wasn't happy with the tattooing so I had to strip all the paint and will start that piece again.

Oh, and I resurrected my terrain and objective markers thread because I'm board!

An experiment on a spare blade, using Mr.Crystal Color XC04 Amethyst Purple - a thick pearly paint with a purple sheen. I had to apply it thickly too as...

A. diluting it with thinner made it break down and cover hideously...and later turned white.

B. I discovered after buying it it's supposed to be put through an airbrush :D

med_gallery_63428_9407_25245.jpg

And the other side

med_gallery_63428_9407_46793.jpg

What do you think?

Yeah, Mr Color paints are definitely meant for airbrushing. That's quite a nice effect you have there but the paint does look a smidge thick.

I'd suggest a basecoat of silver and coating it with either FW Eidolon Purple or Badger Ghost Tint Purple- both are technically meant for airbrushes but work just as well by hand (they're water based acrylics).

I've been painting and repainting hellblades :D I've tried a lot of different colours, paints and techniques (even painting one side one scheme and the other side differently just to save time). Nothing worth a photo though.

I have a couple more to try tomorrow but am considering trying a red blade like I gave my naga-sorcerer:

gallery_63428_9407_23909.jpg

The photo doesn't show it much but I used Tamiya Clear Red and gloss varnish so it looks crystalline and has some depth. I should be able to do it better now.

Some more playing about to do tomorrow :)

Anyway, here he is at the moment:

med_gallery_63428_9407_409127.jpg

med_gallery_63428_9407_574376.jpg

med_gallery_63428_9407_752962.jpg

med_gallery_63428_9407_577083.jpg

And there'll be a severed Harlequin arm on the ground in front of him.

Thanks.

med_gallery_63428_9407_223528.jpg

That's a quick snap to show the blue gem paint after about three coats.

To be honest I'm not keen on it.

On small pieces like gems I think the paints may work (though I'll keep to doing gems the old way to be honest) but on larger - particularly flat - surfaces i find them difficult to use.

Kudos to Slipstreams on his far-better-than-my use of the paints.

I have other ideas for these wings, so in the Simple Green they go!

This proving to be the most difficult mini I've ever painted :D

I think Squigsquasher has the truth of it.

I pulled out my Tamiya Clear Blue and Green to experiment with them (having bought them a while back but not used them much) and, with a little Tamika Acrylic Thinner, the result was much smoother than the GW gem paints on flat surfaces.

med_gallery_63428_9407_337126.jpg

med_gallery_63428_9407_231354.jpg

Note that's not how I intend to paint the sword, I just had it lying about.

I'm now scraping off the leadbelcher and GW blue gem from the wings. I'm going to redo them Runefang Steel, recess shaded Nuln Oil, then do each 'feather' starting blue at the top and turning to green at their edge (a little like I did on the blade there).

I did some more playing with blade colours, experimenting with Coelia Greenshade on a white undercoat, drybrushing white then a layer of Nihilak before or after adding veins/lightning.

med_gallery_63428_9407_127000.jpg

And another version

med_gallery_63428_9407_209804.jpg

I like the colour and hope to use it sometime somewhere, but have settled on doing the Peacock lord's blade red like the Naga sorcerer's daggers.

Sounds like a tutorial is brewing from this experimentation... ;)

For the Tamiya paints? I can do that :)

I have a Chaos assassin in bits that I've been meaning to put together and do as a XX Legion agent for a long time, and wanted to do basically this scheme on her bodysuit (blue from the bottom, green from the top) so perhaps I can do a tutorial with a blade, the assassin and whatever else I have to hand. A shoulder pad perhaps.

So...

Wings: peacock. TC-Blue to TC-Green.

Blade: red. Might throw that into the tutorial too since I'll be using TC-Red.

Plasma pistol:....still undecided. I might just go for copper coils with a little Nihilak.

Kierdale! Dude I missed almost three pages. I like the scouts and am looking forward to the speeder. That raptor lord is looking awesome. 

About Mr. Color paint. That's a lacquer based paint - not a normal acryllic - so you'll have to get a dedicated lacquer thinning agent to make thin Mr. Color. They´re great paints, once you get the hang of it. The swords are looking promising! 

I feel like your mini is missing yellow. So maybe if not as part of the peacock feathers you could use yellow on the plasma coil. :D

You really want every colour on there, don't you? :D

I'm not sure about yellow...I'll be having plasma weapons on other models in the army - surprisingly this is the first - and I'm not sure if it'll pop.

Green, perhaps?

And thanks, Augustus. The Land Shrieker will be next once the lord is done.

I'll check the Mr.Color rack at Yodobashi next time I can get there and see if they have a thinner. I'd like to make use of that paint on a model sometime if I can get it thin enough to go on with a brush.

I feel like your mini is missing yellow. So maybe if not as part of the peacock feathers you could use yellow on the plasma coil. :biggrin.:

You really want every colour on there, don't you? :biggrin.:

I'm not sure about yellow...I'll be having plasma weapons on other models in the army - surprisingly this is the first - and I'm not sure if it'll pop.

Green, perhaps?

And thanks, Augustus. The Land Shrieker will be next once the lord is done.

I'll check the Mr.Color rack at Yodobashi next time I can get there and see if they have a thinner. I'd like to make use of that paint on a model sometime if I can get it thin enough to go on with a brush.

Hey as long as I don't have to see and play with them every day I have no problems with following the mindset of how Emperor's Children are described in fluff! The more clashing colors the better! :D

med_gallery_63428_9407_77427.jpg

med_gallery_63428_9407_198688.jpg

Those photos were taken at 1am when I finished last night. It looked better this morning :tu:

I'm very happy with the result however I feel it could have been better if I had done each feature individually, blending the two colours while they were still wet.

I started a tutorial/experimenting thread: Here.

Thanks for the comments.

I need to do a bit of clean up on the pink of the wings and I'll be able to attach them to the raptor lord soon.

Just the sword, pistol and base to do then.

I'm already tempted to give him a personal bodyguard of similarly-winged warriors!

I'll check out Tamiya Clear Orange next time I'm at Yodobashi (appliance chain which also has a toy and hobby floor. Perhaps my favourite shop in all Japan) to add it to my collection. A blend from red to orange might be cool. Clear Yellow I perhaps don't need (although red through orange to yellow...!).

Why don't them make purple or pink? :(

I wonder if TC-Red mixed with TC-Blue -and likely a fair bit of thinner- would make a purple...

Anyway, I hope to get some more done this weekend.