[HH1.0] Sons of Horus Tactica

Dorrance

Question on Justaerin heavy weapon loadouts. They can take multi-meltas, something other termies generally cant, but is it actually a good option? More specifically, I'm asking this in the context of a Black Reaving army (so they have Deep Strike) which contains 2 lascannon Preds, a Vindicator, 4 meltaguns in jump pack squads and 3 multi-melta attack bikes. Is it still a good option or would a heavy flamer be a better option? Aside from bolters/pistols the army currently has no dedicated anti-personnel weaponry.

I love melta weapons! The prevalance of Armoured Ceramite in 30k might lead you to think it's a poor choice, but sometimes people drop it to save points (or because they never face any melta weapons). But consider the fact that it's still a S8 AP1 shot - it'll murder any Marine that fails a save! :) And light armor is still very much at threat to that sort of weapon.

As a counterpoint, Death Dealers is a brilliant buff that doesn't affect heavy weapons, so it might be better going for combi-meltas.

It's way too many points, considering you'll probably get one opportunity to fire with the unit (then ideally they should be knocking heads together). With a bunch of combi-meltas making up the rest of the armament, it's probably not worth counting on that one multi-melta shot on subsequent turns. I kind of feel the same about the plasma blaster, and it's 10 points cheaper than the multi-melta.

Considering it doesn't get the bonus from Death Dealer and the majority of your unit will want to be close as well as having a huge points cost really makes the Multi Melta a pointless points sink. Maybe if it was 15pts people might take it but still you're forgoing Death Dealer which is godly for Justaerin.

Just another note on Justaerin don't make the mistake I did and give them Power Fists, they will be targetting elite infantry which is either 2 wounds or has a FnP in someway. Taking Power Fist negates this and lets face it you were striking last anyway

I take 1.5 Chain Fists in a squad of 5. This basically means that I either take 1 or 2 but definitely 3 in a 10 man squad.

I really don't see the point in a single claw, you get an extra attack but it's only worthwhile against Power Armour which a squad of 10 will smash through anyway on the charge anyway

Claws on Justaerins aren't necessary imo, as having two wounds means you probably won't lose models before you got a chance to strike.

In a big squad of 10, 5 with dual claws could be deadly however.

If you're putting that many points into Justaerin with claws, it's points that would have been better spent elsewhere if the goal is to kill units with 3+ saves, and it severely weakens the impact of your 10 man Justaerin squad if they are forced to deal with an equivalent elite unit. Death Dealers is too good to waste; everybody should have a combi-weapon.

Dusting off my SoH (my first 30k army, oh the nostalgia) I'm considering a bog standard Maloghurst&Co drop pod veteran list.

How would you kit out SoH veterans in pods? My current build is something like:

10 men, 5 Combi-Melta/Plasma, 2 corresponding special weapons as well as melta bombs, in a legion pod.

Comes in at 300 points per unit so a tad expensive, but they threaten almost any unit in the game. (Note that we've house ruled against the FAQ'd 1 grenade per combat)

Should I cut down on or alter anything? Also if running 6 of these units of which 4 drops down t1, should I go for 4 plasma and 2 melta teams or three of each? I'd also run 3 CML+2HKM javelins to help pop light transports turn 1, so far there'd be extra sources of AT.

Dusting off my SoH (my first 30k army, oh the nostalgia) I'm considering a bog standard Maloghurst&Co drop pod veteran list.

10 men, 5 Combi-Melta/Plasma, 2 corresponding special weapons as well as melta bombs, in a legion pod.

Comes in at 300 points per unit so a tad expensive, but they threaten almost any unit in the game. (Note that we've house ruled against the FAQ'd 1 grenade per combat)

Should I cut down on or alter anything? Also if running 6 of these units of which 4 drops down t1, should I go for 4 plasma and 2 melta teams or three of each? I'd also run 3 CML+2HKM javelins to help pop light transports turn 1, so far there'd be extra sources of AT.

How many points you playing?

I am going for a similar setup for Veterans, except in LR Proteus. Marksmen with half the squad given combi-melta/plas seems like a well rounded unit, everyone has a Sniper bolter for hunting MCs like Castellax etc and then the combis for vehicle or teq. The only thing I would suggest is a Powerfist on the Sergeant but if you are running them cheap don't bother with that.

Tybalt is a duelist character.  If he rends, he will auto kill his target (minus eternal warrior). I can see him as a fluffy choice for slay the warlord objectives....  but he will be out matched by a paragon blade (or equivalent) armed opponents and runs a serious risk of losing to 2+ power fists. I personally see him as a less effective Garro (as in a 2nd HQ choice for if you have spare points).

So I am getting close to doing my Armoured Spearhead Veterans who will be in Landraiders. Both squads will be half bolters and half combi-weapons, with a Powerfist Sergeant. My question is; What combi-weapon would you lean towards for a Veteran squad and why?

I am inclined to go for Meltas for the chance at Precision Shotting a Character with an Instant Death weapon, and for anti-Teq if required. Also, I like the melta not having Gets Hot.

Obviously all choices are valid dependent on the rest of your list and paired with Death Dealers I think they are even better value. Would love to hear everyone's thoughts

I mean, Sniper Combi-Flamers have some potential hilarity there. Especially with Overwatch

I wouldn't want to waste my single shot of combi power on the overwatch personally.

Unless it is a loophole and doesn't work like that :o