[HH1.0] Sons of Horus Tactica

Dorrance

Horus really should be deepstriking with his Justaerins.

I don't think Abaddon is necessary as a HQ if you're taking Horus. Perhaps run him as a generic Praetor equipped with Paragon Blade, Power Fist and the Cataphractii primus? That would actually be a more powerful cc character!

So one squad of 10 Justaerins; 5 with twin Lighting Claws, 3 with Power Fists and 2 with Chain Fists in a Spartan alongside Abaddon/Praetor.

20 Reavers in the other Spartan.

The other 10 Justaerins should be equipped combi weapons, 10 Combi Plasmas or Combi Meltas. CC weapons should be cheap Axes and a few Fists thrown in. They deepstrike turn 2 with no scatter alongside Horus and remove a unit from the table. This would actually create a pretty tough army.

Do you have the latest rules for the various units?

Thank you! 

In general let me be more specific (these are the models I have): 

Disregarding the points what would be the optimal setup using these guys? 

HQ: 

Abaddon

Horus

MoS or Maloghust

Troops/FA: 

10x Reavers (3x PF, 1x PW, 1x hand flamer, 2x plasma pistol)

10x Reavers (3x PF, 1x PW, 1x hand flamer, 2x plasma pistol)

10x Reavers (2x meltagun, 3x combi melta, 1x hand flamer, 1x power fist) 

Elites/Troops: 

10x Justaerin (?)

10x Justaerin (?)

Contemptor (Lascannon and power claw meltagun) please CC

Contemptor (I am thinking double kheres) please CC

Dedicated transports: 

2x spartan 

1x rhino

1x dreadclaw 

I would highly appreciate what tactics to use in general as well as (RoW), also the loadout on the contemptors. 

I really like to have symmetric units so for the Justearin (the two man squads to be identical in loadout. I was thinking originally: 

10x Justaerin (Multi melta, 2 combi meltas, 1 combi plasma and CC: 2 with dual lightning, 3 with power fists, 1 chainfist, 4 axes (fluffy) ) 

10x Justaerin (Multi melta, 2 combi meltas, 1 combi plasma and CC: 2 with dual lightning, 3 with power fists, 1 chainfist, 4 axes (fluffy) )

I would appreciate any help in the above (is a chainfist necessary)? and how to modify, I also have some thunder hammers, power weapons, mauls, 2x autocannons etc...

Thank you !

Edited by Vect

It really depends on what you like the look of compared to ingame efficiency, for example the Multimelta on the Justaerin is expensive, probably won't ever get more then one shot off and doesn't benefit from Death Dealers...but it is unique to the Justaerin and looks cool.

My basic load out for them would be all combi-melta, 2-3 chainfist and as many powerfists I could afford, if short on points then some would get a power axe.

^ Sage advice here.

Definitely consider running "The Long March" - it's a great RoW.

Kheres Contemptor-Mortis' are very good, and great value. If you have the slots and the points, go for that loadout (they're one of the best anti-air Dreadnoughts too).

Veterans are a great unit (better than Reavers now). Both Horus and Maloghurst make them Troops, so in smaller games you can rely on Mal to enable them, whilst Horus can enable them in larger games. Marksmen is awesome (with an Outflanking multi-melta Rhino) and so is Machine Killers (with some meltaguns, combi-meltas and melta bombs). IMHO, you should definitely use your Reaver models as Veterans.

Abaddon is pretty sub-par as a character, but he does allow his Justaerin unit to Deep Strike. He can be your Compulsory HQ in those larger games (riding in 1 of your 2 units loaded up with combi-weapons). :)

thank you for all of the great input!

I must say that the last time I played a 40K game was at the end of 5th, sorry for all of the questions.

How are veterans better? Is it that much of a difference? 

I will soon create the modular list to be CC'd. I will post the link, and create a thread in the army list section of HH

Thanks

EDIT: Where can I find the long march RoW? I have looked through the books and cant seem to find them? 

Edited by Vect

Don't equip multi Meltas on the Justaerins, they are very expensive.

Also don't mix plasmas and Meltas in the various squads.

The ROW mentioned is not necessary for your army. Which books do you actually own, you seem to be missing rules?

Also how many points are you looking to play?

Edited by Ishagu

The Justaerins alongside Horus are very effective at arriving, destroying something with shooting then getting locked into assaults.

It's best if your weapons match so you focus on a specific target type. You'll only fire the Combis once, then you'll likely be in combat for the rest of the game.

If you have the two latest red books, only use the rules from those as they have the updated profiles and rules for the various units.

I gave some suggestions in your armylist thread Vect.

Now to a question of my own...I have a tournie coming up, I have been told it is supposed to be more narrative driven than super gamey. I basically have the list sorted but I have one tiny tweak I would love some opinions on, the Master of Signal will be attached to Mal and stuck inside the Damocles. So that is two orbital bombardments I can use....BUT for the same points I could swap the MoS for a 5man Volkite Caliver squad, still attached to Mal and still placed inside the Damocles. The MoS blast has been very hit or miss for me so I am considering the Support squad because it gives me 4 extra bodies to protect Mal, they may have a longer impact on the game with the 30" range guns and that's another scoring unit if I split Mal off from them at some point in a game.

++ Legiones Astartes: Age of Darkness Army List (Age of Darkness) (2505pts) ++

+ HQ (370pts) +

Damocles Command Rhino (110pts) [Hunter-killer Missile]

Legion Centurion (120pts) [Artificer Armour, Melta Bombs, Refractor Field]
Consul [Master of Signal]

Maloghurst the Twisted (140pts)
Master of the Legion [Armoured Spearhead]

+ Troops (910pts) +

Legion Veteran Tactical Squad (455pts) [5x Combi-weapon, 9x Legion Veteran Space Marines, Marksmen]
Legion Land Raider Proteus [Dozer Blade, Hunter-killer Missile, Twin-linked Lascannon]
Legion Veteran Sergeant [Artificer Armour, Power Fist]

Legion Veteran Tactical Squad (455pts) [5x Combi-weapon, 9x Legion Veteran Space Marines, Marksmen]
Legion Land Raider Proteus [Dozer Blade, Hunter-killer Missile, Twin-linked Lascannon]

+ Heavy Support (795pts) +

Deredeo Pattern Dreadnought (220pts) [Aiolos Missile Launcher, Twin-linked Heavy Flamer]

Legion Predator Strike Armoured Squadron (360pts)
Legion Predator Tank [Dozer Blade, Executioner Plasma Cannon, Hunter-killer Missile, Lascannons]
Legion Predator Tank [Dozer Blade, Executioner Plasma Cannon, Hunter-killer Missile, Lascannons]

Legion Sicaran Battle Tank (215pts) [Dozer Blade, Hunter-killer Missile, Lascannons]

+ Legion +

Legion Astartes [Traitor, XVI: Sons of Horus]

+ Lord of War (430pts) +

Questoris Knight Styrix (430pts) [Hekaton Siege Claw with twin-linked Rad Cleanser]

Created with BattleScribe

• 1 month later...

Let me pose a hypothetical question to you fine folks..

If you had any amount of money and wanted to build a 2500 point Horus list, a list with Horus as the Lord of War and make it scale able to 3000 points what would that list look like?

That is my way of saying.... Can someone help me build a 2500 - 3000 point list that is competitive and uses Horus..

So far it looks like...

Horus

Malo

10 Justerian

10 Vet

10 Vet

are normally the core. 

I am open to Orbital Assault or the Reaving.. I sold enough of my Magic the Gathering collection to build a dream list and I intend to do just that, but I want to make sure I get something that can win.

I would probably go with one unit of Justaerin with Horus deepstriking while drop podding a bunch of Veterans and a Leviathan or Cortus dreads, Maloghurst doesn't really bring anything to a list like this as he is no good for assault and Horus already unlocks Veterans as troops.

Something like this:

+++ New Roster (2482pts) +++

++ Legiones Astartes: Age of Darkness Army List (Age of Darkness) (2482pts) ++

+ HQ (137pts) +

Legion Centurion (137pts) [Cataphractii Terminator Armour with Combi-bolter and Power Weapon, Combi-Weapon, Thunderhammer]

Legiones Astartes [Legion Specific Rules]

May be upgraded to one of these Consul roles: [Chaplain]

+ Troops (1425pts) +

Justaerin Terminator Squad (585pts) [2x Chainfist, 10x Combi-Weapon, 10x Justaerin Terminators, 8x Power Fist]

Legion Veteran Tactical Squad (280pts) [4x Combi-weapon, Legion Drop Pod, 9x Legion Veteran Space Marines, Marksmen, 2x Power Weapon]

Legion Veteran Tactical Squad (280pts) [4x Combi-weapon, Legion Drop Pod, 9x Legion Veteran Space Marines, Marksmen, 2x Power Weapon]

+ Heavy Support (420pts) +

Leviathan Siege Dreadnought Talon (420pts)

Leviathan Siege Dreadnought [Cyclonic Melta Lance, Legion Dreadnought Drop Pod, Leviathan Siege Drill, Phosphex Discharger, 2x Twin-linked Volkite Caliver]

+ Legion +

+ Lord of War (500pts) +

Horus the Warmaster (500pts) [Primarch]

Master of the Legion [Orbital Assault]

Rule of cool wins everyday for me though, so if you love the look of Reavers then use the models as Veteran stand-ins, and Horus always looks good with a big squad of Justaerin. The Chaplain is there for the compulsory HQ and will help with the To Hit re-rolls for the first round of combat while also mashing up stuff with the Thunderhammer, which will also be good vs multi-wound targets that your Justaerin might face. The Leviathan is another really cool model and hard as nails, so drop him first turn behind some armour and cause some havoc.

Or if you prefer Maloghurst then you could try a Veteran pod heavy list like this:

+++ New Roster (2498pts) +++

++ Legiones Astartes: Age of Darkness Army List (Age of Darkness) (2498pts) ++

+ HQ (140pts) +

Maloghurst the Twisted (140pts)

Master of the Legion [Orbital Assault]

+ Troops (1518pts) +

Legion Veteran Tactical Squad (278pts) [4x Combi-weapon, Legion Drop Pod, 8x Legion Veteran Space Marines, Marksmen, 2x Melta Gun]

Legion Veteran Tactical Squad (310pts) [4x Combi-weapon, Legion Drop Pod, 9x Legion Veteran Space Marines, Marksmen, 2x Melta Gun, 2x Power Weapon]

Legion Veteran Tactical Squad (310pts) [4x Combi-weapon, Legion Drop Pod, 9x Legion Veteran Space Marines, Marksmen, 2x Melta Gun, 2x Power Weapon]

+ Heavy Support (840pts) +

Leviathan Siege Dreadnought Talon (840pts)

Leviathan Siege Dreadnought [Cyclonic Melta Lance, Legion Dreadnought Drop Pod, Leviathan Siege Drill, Phosphex Discharger, 2x Twin-linked Volkite Caliver]

+ Legion +

Mal joins the 9 man Vet squad, you have 4 pods first turn and everything will be close ranged taking advantage of Death Dealers and maybe even Merciless Fighters if you get multiple squads into a single combat. Two Leviathans is a pain to fight aswell!

Edited by Rangaman

Rangaman...the lists probably work, but are super boring...like 40k meta boring :(

Your opponent will get tired of the Alpha strike list and so will you. Why not tone it down to two vet squads and run the new RoW? There's much more to the game then vets, leviathans, and pods. I'm not trying to pick a fight solely with you, but the list isn't really utilizing tactics...it's utilizing spam :/

Yea I wouldn't ever run a list like that, but Primalexile asked for a list with Justaerin, Vets and Horus whilst making it competitive. I've seen a whole squad of Justaerin annihilated by a single Typhon shot...I don't think I could ever consider a blob of them to be honest.

Well you could go ahead and specialize the Veteran squads and change the Leviathan for some Cortus dreads, but I think Orbital Assault thematically represents Horus' method of war quite well. At the same time you could run Primarchs Chosen and Outflank Veterans or Reavers, the Justaerin will still have Horus' deep strike and that would make some room for some tanks or whatever you have an interest in. Edited by Rangaman

I would make a list with Horus, a unit of Justaerins and a Primus Medicae as his bodyguards.

The Justaerins would all have Combi-Plasmas, Power Fists and a Chain Fist or two.

I'd include various ranged units to destroy transports and armour. I'm thinking 2 Deredeo and a squadron of two Vindicator Laser Destroyers.

I'd run a bunch of Vets in Rhinos, or perhaps a unit or two in a Drop Pod.

When Horus arrives there should be plenty of targets to shoot up with plasma or his orbital bombardment.

---

*Edit*

As for a Typhon destroying a whole unit of Justaerins, statistically he should only kill half of them :-P

This is also why I suggest efficient ranged firepower - chip that Typhon down! I normally destroy one, or a Knight, on the first turn.

Edited by Ishagu

The Primus Medicae may not be able to Deepstrike with Horus, RAW - he only allows "The Warmaster and any attached Terminator unit from his army may deep strike and will not scatter when doing so."

Depends if you could a Primus as an "attached Terminator unit"

I like it, it has a lot of potential... That said if you want to make Horus an important part of you list I would consider expanding the unit of Justaerin. I usually run him in a unit of 10 with a primus medicae and, even though they're not the most competitive thing to play, they surely are fun. Edited by The Traitor

Unfortunately the list is also illegal, since you can't take units incapable of deep striking in an orbital assault list. That means the vindicators and all the dreadnoughts have to go, so I think you need to go back to the drawing board for that list. 

Unfortunately the list is also illegal, since you can't take units incapable of deep striking in an orbital assault list. That means the vindicators and all the dreadnoughts have to go, so I think you need to go back to the drawing board for that list. 

Damn BattleScribe read it as legal. Back to the drawing board. Might just forgo Orbital Assault and put the vets in rhinos, maybe look at Primarchs chosen.

Edited by primalexile