[HH1.0] Sons of Horus Tactica

Dorrance

Go full justaerin in dreadclaw, flanking veterans with combi weapon, Horus in justaerin blob with primus medicae, some contemptors or leviathans in pod and even some deathstorms so that more of your other pods can arrive on turn 1. Null deploy and play with your oponent's feelings. You can even pick the Long March if you wish so. Edited by The Traitor

You could drop 1 Vet Squad, in it's place buy two of the fancy Drop Pods, have a third outflanking or simply starting on the table.

I wouldn't change the Deredeo or Vindicators.

The same as @Charlo plus volkite support squads with cc weapons, they're still quite effective at removing infantry but I beleive that less expensive than reavers.

Ah yes... They are pretty brutal with SoH.

3A on the charge as they get a pistol, plus merciless fighters - all after a BS5 barrage of S5 Deflag shooting.

I'm always torn on the caliver vs culverin decision. Calivers are scoring and 100 points cheaper, culverins have 2x as many shots and longer range.

Well Culverin are good place to chuck Malaghurst if you are taking him. 

Perhaps re-jig the list as Primarch's chosen?

Outflanking Veterans in Rhinos? Or the more expensive SoH Fast Attack slot Drop Pod?

Chosen is a tough Rite since even dedicated transports count towards the ratio. Isn't he SoH Anvillus 15 points cheaper because it lacks inertial guidance?

Also, this is a frequent point of consternation, but per AoD rules null-deploy lists lose automatically.

Edited by Terminus

I believe someone asked this very question to Bligh and he responded it was a typo and the rules are meant to be like in the 40k book, whatever that's worth (prolly nothing lol).

Here, our organizer allows it like the rulebook, but I understand how this is annoying because its looked at differently everywhere.

IMO, I would rock calivers instead of culverins because heavy slots are precious and you can get cooler things there then heavy weapon marines.  30 inch range is sufficient for the most part and they are scoring as noted above.

I usually take a heavy support squad with culverins when I play SoH and they always work out great for me, to the point that I'm thinking of getting a secong squad. That said I don't have many other HS choices for them to compete with, but I see how that could be an issue.

Well, depending on the Legion, taking heavy support squads may be worth it.

For example, as Alpha Legion, since I can give them a bunch of special rules to either get ideal deployment or boost their usefulness against many vehicles by giving them tank hunter.  Sons of Horus can make them relentless in their deployment zone where the extra range is welcome.

The difference in damage output is pretty tremendous.

I believe someone asked this very question to Bligh and he responded it was a typo and the rules are meant to be like in the 40k book, whatever that's worth (prolly nothing lol).

If it's a typo, it is a damn persistent one. They printed the rule in Books 1 through 4, changed it to the 40K version in Book 5, then reverted to it in book 6. Every single red book, both before and after Book 5, have had the "at any time no models = lose" clause.

Hi Guys! :smile.: I have been playing Iron Hands for awhile now, but I have always wanted to build a loyalist SoH/ LW list around Loken. So far I have just a tac squad painted up. 

What would everyone recommend for a player that wants a good list but more of a fun list. I am not a power gamer, but I would like to not get tabled first turn.

I have a wide range of unpainted models so options are available. I like the Spartans, Leviathans, contempters, termies, laser vindi and fire raptor, however I am looking for any and all suggestions. 

Thank you :smile.:

Edited by Demonknight

Hi Demonknight,

Everything you listed off sounds great and would be a welcome addition to your force.  Heresy is pretty balanced for the most part and as long as you don't take 6 to 9 quad mortars, you should be good to go with just about any decision you like.  Depending on your points level I would recommend the following template to help get you started.  SoH are more elite and gain benefits from them. They have many ways to unlock vets, so stick with those and avoid tactical blobs.  Taking more boots on the ground is fun but good!

1000pt to 1500pt games - Delegatus with Chosen duty, Vet troops
2000pt to 2500pt - Maloghurts is great as it allows you to take the Long March and have Vet troops.  You can put him in a unit of termies in a Spartan to keep him safe and give the termies fearless. 

Hi Milosh,

Thank you for the advice. :) I am not a fan of multiple unit spam just fun games with good people so no worries on quad morters. Are tactical blobs bad in a SoH army?

I am looking to make a 2500 - 3500pts list. Maloghurst has good abilities, but (fluff speaking) I dont think that would mesh with my Loken theme. :) I really like the idea of running termies in a Spartan with HQ. If running a 10 man unit, would 5 pair LC be a good build? What about the others? 

I have 2 BoP box sets and was looking for the best way to build them for my SoH/ LW army. 

Blobs are all dependant on what you want the army to do.

If you want to make the most out of the SoH rules, then you want to be close and/or in combat due to Death Dealers and Merciless Fighters. The only way to reliably do this, however, is either by using a Spartan or Kharybdis to transport the blob. Otherwise, theyre just a slow fragile blob of template fodder.

Otherwise, you probably want to  decide on if you're running a RoW or not since the Long March and Black Reaving can change how you build your army up.

If you're looking at a Terminator unit, then they 100% want Ap2 weapons since they'll almost always will be fighting other 2+ saves (often with FNP) AKA other Terminators. if you don't want to run Horus, fair, but Justaerin Terminators with Power Fists, a Primus and Combi-Weapons (if you can afford it) makes for a very tough unit due to 2W, 2+/4++/5+ (FNP). That said, the 2 wounds won't count for much vs Instant Death weapons but it helps when fighting chaff units.

That all being said, since you want AP and to negate FNP where possible, the only weapons capable of giving you that are Power Fists, Chain Fists and Thunder Hammers. If you do take Justaerin, don't bother with the Multimelta despite how cool it might seem unless you're 100% dead set on having to have it. This means that Lightning Claws are counter-productive weapons and will probably neuter the unit moreso than help it.

Don't bother with Banestrike Bolts.

Otherwise, if you're not going the blob route, consider taking a RoW or Character that permits Legion Vets as troops and/or Legion Terminators.

To narrow your possibly unit serach, consider: 

HQ:

• Loken or Praetor/Delegatus  (in cataphractii if using Justaerin) - Use to unlock RoW if desired.
  • Primus Medicae
  • Chaplain (Zealot) or Forge Lord (Rad Grenades) - Optional or use as compulsory HQ if RoW is not desired.

Troops:

• Tactical Vets - Dependant on RoW
  • Legion Terminators - Dependant on RoW
  • Assault Marines
  • Tactical Squads - Either 10 men in a Rhino to serve as objective cappers or 19/20 men in transports joined by an apothecary to use as punchy tarpits / aggro objective cappers. Never take more than the absolute minimum required.
  • Support Squads - As points or list needs require

Elites:

• Apothecaries - Join to eligible selections as points permit such as Assault Squads.
  • Rapier Batteries - Solid options for dealing with a variety of threats
  • Dreads in pods - Usually anti-Av
  • Justaerin Squad in Kharybdis or Spartan.

Fast Attack:

• Non-Dedicated Dreadclaws
  • Outriders - Gear as list needs, usually plasma with or without power weapons
  • Primaris Lightning - Bunker Buster

Heavy Support:

• Leviathan in pod - Equip to either deal with AV or Toughness Values
  • Heavy Support Squad - Can be ok if using Long March for Relentless
  • Deredeo - Anti-Air / Anti-Medium AV
  • Medusa Artillery Squadron - if you really want/need S10 Ap2 Large Blasts
  • LasVindicators for ranged anti-AV
  • Sicaran Venator for Super-Heavy Stunlock.

Thanks for the sound advice Slips! :)

I am keeping Loken as one HQ choice, but the other is up for grabs. The more I look into Justaerin the more I like them. How would you equip a 10 man squad in a Spartan with Loken and (help) other HQ?

Tac Vets seem to be more point efficient then reavers. How would you arm them/ squad size? Transport?

The more I look at the rules I think I may just put Loken in a squad as a generic leader. I am planning on using Torgaddon proxying another HQ maybe even in terminator armor. 

What is the opinion on terminators? Justerian, or other types? Armament? 

Edited by Demonknight