[HH1.0] Tactica Chainaxe: World Eaters

LongGone

side bar - you guys that have tacked on chainaxes to the bolter marines from B@C, how did you model that? Just stick them on their legs or backpacks like they are maglocked?

I used the B@C marines but have so many spare chainsword, grenade etc. wielding arms that I just snip the weapon and hand off and replaced with a FW chainaxe. My despoilers now all hold pistols, combat knives, or knuckle dusters in addition to their axe.

I did originally think about just sticking an axe to the backpack or leg but it looked weird and didn't seem right. Much better to be actually holding them.

I agree, my only worry is that my inexperience in altering arms could damage an otherwise good model. Especially with the way the bolter arms are.

Yeah I wouldn't try and alter the bolter holding arms. I didn't risk that either, just glad have such an insanely extensive bits box!

side bar - you guys that have tacked on chainaxes to the bolter marines from B@C, how did you model that? Just stick them on their legs or backpacks like they are maglocked?

I used the B@C marines but have so many spare chainsword, grenade etc. wielding arms that I just snip the weapon and hand off and replaced with a FW chainaxe. My despoilers now all hold pistols, combat knives, or knuckle dusters in addition to their axe.

I did originally think about just sticking an axe to the backpack or leg but it looked weird and didn't seem right. Much better to be actually holding them.

I agree, my only worry is that my inexperience in altering arms could damage an otherwise good model. Especially with the way the bolter arms are.

Yeah I wouldn't try and alter the bolter holding arms. I didn't risk that either, just glad have such an insanely extensive bits box!

I have a lot of CSM bits, may have to get matching arms from Anvil or something. I could go ahead and grab piles of chainaxes as well.

I have a lot of CSM bits, may have to get matching arms from Anvil or something. I could go ahead and grab piles of chainaxes as well.

Yeah CSM bits might work too. Afterall you are cutting off the hand and weapon so would barely notice the CSM-style couter. As long as you replace the CSM bolt pistol with a 30k variant I think you'll be good to go. Or just give him two close combat weapons like a real pit fighter!

Yeah CSM bits might work too. Afterall you are cutting off the hand and weapon so would barely notice the CSM-style couter. As long as you replace the CSM bolt pistol with a 30k variant I think you'll be good to go. Or just give him two close combat weapons like a real pit fighter!

Only problem I can see with using CSM bits other than the different hands, is that even Berzerker kits cone with a limited number of chainaxes. I am thinking Anvil is the way to go. Vanguard arms for MkIV and later, maybe medieval arms for MkII and MkIII.

Anvil chain axes are the best bet for sure.

Having real problems uploading pics from this phone (even at the lowest setting, this produces a file too large)

When doing close combat weapons, or just having a variety of arms from. B@c I basically did the following:

1) take a standard space marine arm from any of the 40k plastics. Chaos, tactical, assault etc. Doesn't matter really. The best ones are the ones with a good angle built into the shoulder, like the devastator sergeant, or many of the raptor Arms.

2)cut the arm off, immediately after the elbow joint. Feel free to leave a small lip. The arm should now be just shoulder, upper arm and elbow.

3) do the exact same with any given bac arm.

4) position the b@c forearm on the 40k shoulder/elbow etc. Glue when happy with the fit.

It's not perfect, but I got a lot of variety with my alpha legion with little fuss.

Not a clear pic but you can see with quite a few marines pictured, and especially both the hq units at the front. All mk4 plastic arms combined with regular 40k.

med_gallery_92853_12010_70531.jpg

You can also just use b@c bits, by making the incision above the elbow, to twist one of the standard right handed bolter arms into a much different pose.

You can see an example of that in this pic;

gallery_92853_12010_114680.jpg

Pardon me for polluting this thread with filthy alphas :p

Edited by Robzilla

Anvil chain axes are the best bet for sure.

Having real problems uploading pics from this phone (even at the lowest setting, this produces a file too large)

When doing close combat weapons, or just having a variety of arms from. B@c I basically did the following:

1) take a standard space marine arm from any of the 40k plastics. Chaos, tactical, assault etc. Doesn't matter really. The best ones are the ones with a good angle built into the shoulder, like the devastator sergeant, or many of the raptor Arms.

2)cut the arm off, immediately after the elbow joint. Feel free to leave a small lip. The arm should now be just shoulder, upper arm and elbow.

3) do the exact same with any given bac arm.

4) position the b@c forearm on the 40k shoulder/elbow etc. Glue when happy with the fit.

It's not perfect, but I got a lot of variety with my alpha legion with little fuss.

You can also just use b@c bits, by making the incision above the elbow, to twist one of the standard right handed bolter arms into a much different pose.

You can see an example of that in this pic;

gallery_92853_12010_114680.jpg
Thats quite a nice looking snake man. I love the shine the Alpha Legion tend to have, it adds another level to their uniqueness. Edited by Unholyechoes

Greetings fellow crazies, I have an upcoming game (opponent tbd) and I am unlimbering my chainaxes in preparation.

My list plotting is a hybrid of nearly 50:50 Legion to Auxilia as I simply do not have the transport for a bigger Legion army.

World Eaters:

Chaplain with Artificer, Thunder Hammer and Refractor

Gahlan Superlak

2x 15 Inductii, chainaxes, power fist and artificer champion

2x Pimped Spartans

Auxilia

Tank Commander

Demo-Dracosian + Veletarii Friends

2x Vanquishers, pintles, lascannon, AC

Infernus with AC, chem munitions

Total 2.5k

Spartans disgorge crazies (super effective)

Vanquishers get tank hunters and vanquish tanks

Demo-drac and friend to soften enemies up and either provide close support to Infernus or cap objectives

Infernus to murder-melt any TEQ

Perhaps my AA is weak but #yolo planes cannot hit things with axes.

Totals at 2.5k

Thoughts/suggestions?

Thoughts/suggestions?

Awesome list. I love the chem Infernus both model wise, and the fact that it can melt anything with a face. The dual Spartans are a pain to deal with and are the best transport Inductii can have unless you have a pair of Storm Eagles. My only useful suggestion is if you can spare a few points, throw an Apothicary in with your Inductii. Where is the Chaplain going?

Each Spartan gets an HQ, though would there be merit in combining both HQs? I want to say only Apocs can join inductii? but I am half delirious with flu...

I cant see how I would spare the points for an Apothecary without impacting the efficacy of other units.

You are correct, Chappy can't join them. If you got rid of his upgrades, and kept him in a Spartan you could get them a medic. Whether he is a Chaplain or just a plain Centurion he is going to be quite lonely and fairly vulnerable. You could also just throw him into cover as deep in your dz as you can and hope he isn't noticed. Not a perfect plan, but if you think the extra bit of FNP is worth it, it is an option.

I am a little curious what the chaplain is up to in this list beyond being the cumpulsory HQ. Like Echos mentioned, he can't join the Inductii so he's going to be a little lonely.

Why not trade him out for a Delegatus and save a few points at least? That would easily finance the cost of an apothecary for the other Inductii squad.

Edited by Flint13

I might drop inductii so the Chaplain can roll with that squad. Rerolling hits over +1S worth it? They can also secure objectives, whatever those are :p

I am enamoured with him after the last game he threw down and killed a Contemptor and yelled "Come at me bro!" at Corax snd survived.

Edited by The God-Potato of Mankind

From my blog, He is Pit Warden Elafor

Legion Despoiler Squad "Mycaran Lions" led by Pit Warden Elafor, known as the "Blood Minotaur", a famous Pit Champion who become an unofficial enforcer of Pit "law". These enforcers were widely held to be the equivalent of what other Legions would call Chaplains, holding to them the practices and codes of the Legion - even if they were just how many fights you could enter per cycle. The Mycaran Lions dedicated transport has been the Spartan "Doom of Minoss" since the first century of the Great Crusade.
Edited by The God-Potato of Mankind

Yeah that's a really silly question, akin to asking "so about them chainaxes, thoughts?"

If you aren't mechanized or deep striking you have already lost or are your playing Zone Mortalis.

Edited by Terminus

Well, you need to use assault vehicles (phobos, spartans, dreadclaws, etc), otherwise an assault themed army isn't going to work.  You could certainly run a WE list while forgoing our close combat prowess but that doesn't really make much sense.  You could certainly try footslogging 20 man tactical blobs but with the abundance of large blast, high strength, low AP weapons in 30k i think you would get blown off the table pretty quickly.

I ask because I keep seeing everywhere (else) that unless you go all-Raider you're throwing the match since you can't assault out of Rhinos, and I'm too cheap (poor) to buy a ton of Raiders.

Bikes, Jetbikes, and assault marines are all viable options, terminators in Dreadclaws, all viable assault options.

If you were going to run WE without a bunch of inductii in raiders/spartans, I think your best bet is using assault marines for your main assault force. A unit of fifteen with 3 power weapons, an apothecary and a sarg armed with another power weapon would work out fairly well. A mechanized WE force without raiders/spartans unfortunately just isn't going to work, as WE infantry units need assault vehicles otherwise you're wasting their biggest strength. 

I feel like given the WE lack of concern for their own safety, a WE breacher would throw aside his shield in favor of wielding two axes. Get more blood flowing that way. That doesn't mean breachers were never used by WE, like all legions they certainly had breachers at some point, but I rather doubt they were fielded in large numbers. 

Plus tactics wise, breachers are not a great choice for WE, since they always want to charge so they can maximize their bonuses, yet breachers would rather stay put and receive a charge most of the time.