[HH1.0] Tactica Chainaxe: World Eaters

LongGone

Delicious.

I plan on doing a PotL list with 10 Cataphractii, Gahlan, Praetor in a Spartan and 10 Veterans with plasma guns, mixed power weapons in a Phobos.

All supported by two multimelta attack bikes, 10 volkite culverins, Deredeo and 3 quad guns.

Should be able to goomba crush near anything....

Edited by The God-Potato of Mankind

IDK, Flint probably has a better idea of this after (hashing it out with her a bit) but I'm partial to either: Angron & Surlak both in a Claw. Together. Alone. Or, failing that, a CC unit that Can sweep: Command Squad (optional Tartaros) or Vets would be my pref. If he's in a Spartan, then Inductiis.

Having Surlak and Angron solo means that they're Majority Toughness 6 with a 4+ FNP meaning that, short of massed S7+ and Ap3 or Lower, getting wounds through will be an ordeal. IE: it takes over a hundred Bolter Shots (on Average) to get a wound through.

• 3 weeks later...

So, riddle me this fellow chainaxe fetishists...

I've got a list with a drop pod levi, inductii in a land raider, and my HQ/despoilers in a spartan.  I want to add some red butchers to it.  What sort of delivery vehicle would you suggest for them?  My first thought was a dreadclaw, obviously, however that puts them coming in on turn 2 and assaulting turn 3, which seems a bit late in the game.  I could always bring them in first instead of the drop pod levi, but that means i miss a whole round of shooty shooty from the levi and the butchers still can't do anything the turn they arrive.

Maybe another land raider?

I do dread, kharybdis, anvilus.

You could do levi, butchers in anvilus, tac squad in anvilus (they can act as a late game objective grabber)

Otherwise, I chuck butchers in a spartan with my hq as I like Angron in despoilers

Edited by Fangbanger

IDK, Flint probably has a better idea of this after (hashing it out with her a bit) but I'm partial to either: Angron & Surlak both in a Claw. Together. Alone. Or, failing that, a CC unit that Can sweep: Command Squad (optional Tartaros) or Vets would be my pref. If he's in a Spartan, then Inductiis.

Having Surlak and Angron solo means that they're Majority Toughness 6 with a 4+ FNP meaning that, short of massed S7+ and Ap3 or Lower, getting wounds through will be an ordeal. IE: it takes over a hundred Bolter Shots (on Average) to get a wound through.

Aren't they both ICs? I don't think they can join together, but I'm just a Dark Angel ;)

I am kind of thinking both from a list perspective and what to buy next perspective. I have a land raider, spartan, and rhino for transports. I also have 3 tac squads, Khârn, Surlak, Angron, and red butchers (the later 2 bring xmas reinforcements).

I suppose I could get the dreadclaw for one of the tacs and pile all the ICs and butchers into the spartan...hmm...

IDK, Flint probably has a better idea of this after (hashing it out with her a bit) but I'm partial to either: Angron & Surlak both in a Claw. Together. Alone. Or, failing that, a CC unit that Can sweep: Command Squad (optional Tartaros) or Vets would be my pref. If he's in a Spartan, then Inductiis.

Aren't they both ICs? I don't think they can join together, but I'm just a Dark Angel :wink:

IC's have always been able to join together to create a unit though...

Aren't they both ICs? I don't think they can join together, but I'm just a Dark Angel :wink:

IC's have always been able to join together to create a unit though...

lol I'll have to check the wording, but maybe I'm just stuck in a weird edition or something. I thought they were able to join a unit, and by unit I thought they meant a non individual one. I could totally be off here

Pg 166 of the BRB real quick so that we can end this tiny bit of OT:

Literally the first paragraph:

"Independent Characters can join other units. They cannot, however, join units that contain vehicles or Monstrous Creatures. They can join other Independent Characters though, to form a powerful multi-character unit!"

I am kind of thinking both from a list perspective and what to buy next perspective. I have a land raider, spartan, and rhino for transports. I also have 3 tac squads, Khârn, Surlak, Angron, and red butchers (the later 2 bring xmas reinforcements).

I suppose I could get the dreadclaw for one of the tacs and pile all the ICs and butchers into the spartan...hmm...

Butchers in LR

Angron, surlak and tacs in spartan

Wouldn't use Khârn with Angron as he's a bit poo with out the Gorechild.

Compulsory HQ I always find a pain to fit in anywhere but just a cheap barebones compulsory can be thrown in the spartan too or Chaplin if not running bezerker (but why would you not!?)

Can put 2 small tac squads in rhinos then if you want to do it on the cheap or larger foot slogging squads (though not a huge fan)

Adding a 10 man inductii in a lr or 15 man in a spartan with apoth is juicy too give you 3 hard hitting assault units in av14

It's effective, but gets a tad boring after a while (hence why I run 2 Spartans and kharybdis now)

Still 1 dimensional though but depends what you are after

Edited by Fangbanger

I run one of the tacs as inductii now, they live in the land raider, one of them as despoilers with HQ+surlak in the spartan, and the other as vanilla in a rhino.  I'm not sure i want to put the inductii into a rhino, but maybe buy a dreadclaw for them and throw the butchers in the land raider like you were thinking?  Or buy another land raider i 'spose...i love my FW heresey land raider model.

Edited by Guiltysparc

Another lr is cool. Dreadclaw is cool too but ideally you want a third pod in there.

Having said that though, if you have an Armour heavy metal, butchers/inducti coming in turn 2/3 might not be a bad thing as they can get to the juicy bits by then

So I currently find one of my 2 big issues in my force is taking objectives and lack of firepower

I typically run:

Angron, Surlak, Butchers in a Spartan w flare shield Armoured ceramite

Praetor with relic blade and 15 despoiler in a spartan (as above) with apothecary

2 × 10 man tactical in rhino's

1 twin Kheres Contemptor

1 twin claw contemptor

5 cataphractii terminators.

I get 4 scoring units from that.

I usually play against emperors children and iron hands, said iron hands player, without fail, fielding a Typhon, 6 quad mortars with phosphex and a Venator. Usually popping rhinos with a Venator and spartans with the typhon and dropping 24 blast templates of st6 ap3 on the Marines that are left in the open.

So I'm looking at, dropping the terms and a rhino and maybe the claw contemptor, and throwing angron and gang in a kharybdis, chucking one of the 10mans up to 15, throwing them in the second spartan with an apothecary and throwing angron down first turn to rip a hole in my opponents arse whilst the rest of my force moves up.

A levi does sound tempting too, but doesn't fit the feel of my army for some reason.

Any advice ?

Having that many quad mortars is bent as :cuss, let alone with a typhon

You will still suffer the same issues with the kharybdis, it will go pop, then you have to take the template cheese

At least you can jink

Send inducti in the pod, angron in the spartan as at least he stands a chance then as they will have to deal with the special k first

Also, angron in Tactical, preator in butchers. Ron and the red bastards are too much overkill. Split him for 2 large threats rather than 1

Edited by Fangbanger

Cheesy crap like that can only be dealt with consistently with other cheesy crap, like a bunch of Leviathans dropping down, grav fluxing the quad mortars, and melta-lancing the typhon.

My preferred approach would be not to encourage that kind of escalation, and talk to the guy, but otherwise I would start with a Leviathan in DPP with grav flux. It can land and between grav flux and phosphex discharger do serious damage to a quar mortar squad, if not wipe it out. The Kharybdis can land behind the DPP for a 2+ jink to avoid being destroyed. Just don't leave the pod or the Typhon will run you over, and next turn if he doesnt run for the hills, the Leviathan can drill it to death, or otherwise go after the other quad mortar squad. Then your kharybdis unit goes after whichever is left over.

Yup, my bad on phosphex, simple confusion, still a dirt weapon. Aye, leviathan does sound like a really good call.

My gaming group runs on whatever works, his entire army is pretty fluff, he also runs 4 outflank melta cannon predators, unfortunately it all just happens to be horrendous to play against

Khârn is pretty boss, as he can take Gorechild (a Paragon blade with Armourbane), he has a nifty Warlord Trait, and he has Rampage & Precision Strikes. He also has WS7, at the cost of Ld9. If you run Angron, Khârn is much less useful (due to the loss of Gorechild) - better off taking a Chaplain or Forge Lord as your compulsory HQ.

When up against some serious firepower like you mentioned, you have to be smart about it. Typhon can be shut down by a Sicaran Venator. Quad Mortars die to grav-flux Leviathans (as per Withershadow's suggestion). Take his Venator out Turn 1 with some laser destroyer Vindicators, and then turn them on his MeltaPreds. :)

Just watched a batrep the other day and saw a leviathan take out a pair of knights without much trouble. If they make another HH boxed game, a plastic Leviathan would be an amazing addition. I would love to rock a pair of them in pods to be a scary distraction from rhinos full of chainaxe inductii. Edited by Unholyechoes

[snip]

General consensus that nobody runs Khârn? a praetor with mc relic blade, digital weapons and aa is tons better for 20pts extra right?

I run Khârn unless i'm running a super efficient list.  The praetor tribune is super points efficient and will be straight up better than Khârn for less points in most situations (1 more attack, 1 more LD, rampage/armorbane situations being the ones he is not better).