++ The Harrowing - An Alpha Legion Community ++

Sviar

I've been using a double BC array leviathan backed up by a warpsmith in my alpha legion detachment and the thing is stupidly killy and resilient. Haven't lost it yet. Hell ork heavies can't even hit it if they moved (or advanced with assaults).. had that happen yesterday. 

New intel guys, the FAQ is live:

https://17890-presscdn-0-51-pagely.netdna-ssl.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/08/40K_8th_ed_Update_Codex_Chaos_Space_Marines_ver_1.0.pdf

The two most important things for us that I can see:

Princes benefit from Legion rules. So extra survivable Princes for us

They changed the champion war gear options to the same as the loyalists. So now we can get combiweapon plus power weapons combo's

My secret hope is that tournaments will ease it on the WYSIWYG for now, by large because of all the Codex to come and likely changes to come. From my experience the rule always has been more restricting than anything else, though thats just my opinion. By large because to me it gives the suggestion that an opponent should be capable to figure out whats going on without communication, something I think never really works out well. Informing what is going on is key.

Now there is just one thing that bothers me a little and that is their approach to the conversion policy. I hope we can get some awnsers on that aswell. Im not so much talking on wether or not to use those datasheets but to actually be consistent with their approach. Instead of presenting conversion options for datasheet A but remove datasheet B because its a converted model... 

Though I think we will get clearity on this later. Im quite certain that GW has recieved their questions about that because well, converting is awesome and shouldnt in any way be removed from this hobby I feel.

Ugh. Thats cool but now I'm pissed! I JUST finished remodeling all my champs from combis/PW to legal. Lol some things never change.

Yeah, my Havoc Champs are all pure bolter because of how the Index and Codex worded that.  So now I need to pull them apart and give them chainswords as an "in case of emergency" measure...

Ugh. Thats cool but now I'm pissed! I JUST finished remodeling all my champs from combis/PW to legal. Lol some things never change.

Yeah, my Havoc Champs are all pure bolter because of how the Index and Codex worded that. So now I need to pull them apart and give them chainswords as an "in case of emergency" measure...

Can't you just glue it to their backside, like it's maglocked?

Don't MK3 armor sprues have chainswords and pouches to glue to the waist?

Yes they do. At least the ones from BoP.

What are our thoughts on princes in Alpha Legion?

I think they are far more useful and powerful than they were last edition. Whenever I ran my prince I found he got focus fired pretty quickly and spent most of my time jinking him to get a cover save.

Now though, characters in general are far more survivable, as I found out the hard way yesterday.

I played a game against someone's ultramarines, including Robby G. To my horror, I found that RAW my melta death squad could not shoot at big blue because there was a dread locked in combat with my helbrute 2" away. Pretty much nobody could actually shoot at Robby despite him waltzing out in the open, simply because of my opponent's canny positioning.

I'm feeling like I want to break out my prince again, knowing that he might actually be able to make it to melee now.

As for loadouts I'm feeling:

• Wings (duh)
  • MoS
  • Elixir
  • Twin Talons
  • Maybe warpbolter
  • Probably diabolic strength for powers but maybe warptime if the enemy is running some threats that I want to dodge.

All in all, he's pretty killy. 9 attacks at strength 10(!!) between diabolic strength and the elixir, all of which are hitting on 2+ with re-rolls. I'm pretty this loadout could delete a Primaris squad in a turn or two. Very fun to play around with.

daemon_prince___alpha_legion_by_llmonste

Mmmm...I'm feeling like converting this bad boy up...

@Juggernut: I knew I wasn't making it up, haha. I do wish they would make a few bolters with pistol grips still. Found a few from some old sprues and I think I stumbled on some treasure!

@TheMelancholic: I wanted to keep warp stuff, aside sorcerers, out of my AL army but I am thinking of a list with two khornate, two talon, winged princes. Going to give them a whirl at this weeks coming game.

Don't MK3 armor sprues have chainswords and pouches to glue to the waist?

Yes they do. At least the ones from BoP.

What are our thoughts on princes in Alpha Legion?

I think they are far more useful and powerful than they were last edition. Whenever I ran my prince I found he got focus fired pretty quickly and spent most of my time jinking him to get a cover save.

Now though, characters in general are far more survivable, as I found out the hard way yesterday.

I played a game against someone's ultramarines, including Robby G. To my horror, I found that RAW my melta death squad could not shoot at big blue because there was a dread locked in combat with my helbrute 2" away. Pretty much nobody could actually shoot at Robby despite him waltzing out in the open, simply because of my opponent's canny positioning.

I'm feeling like I want to break out my prince again, knowing that he might actually be able to make it to melee now.

• Wings (duh)
  • MoS
  • Elixir
  • Twin Talons
  • Maybe warpbolter
  • Probably diabolic strength for powers but maybe warptime if the enemy is running some threats that I want to dodge.

All in all, he's pretty killy. 9 attacks at strength 10(!!) between diabolic strength and the elixir, all of which are hitting on 2+ with re-rolls. I'm pretty this loadout could delete a Primaris squad in a turn or two. Very fun to play around with.

daemon_prince___alpha_legion_by_llmonste

Imo Diabolic Strength is pretty wasted on him unless you go hunting monsters/tanks. S8 is plenty. Better take the Slaanesh power for some sweet 5+ FnP I'd say.

Anyway, 9 attacks hitting on 2+ and wounding on 2+ against 3+ armor means ~4 wounds after saves, so 4 dead Primaris only. ;)

So here's a question for the rest of the Legion. I'm planning on adding a Berzerker squad to my warband but I'm torn on how hoping them. Should I use the Legion colors? Traditional World Eater red? A mix?

Also, I had an evil thought of giving the Betzerker champ a chainsword and powerfist and then swapping the sword for the Blade of the Hydra... Nevermind, relics are for characters only.

So here's a question for the rest of the Legion. I'm planning on adding a Berzerker squad to my warband but I'm torn on how hoping them. Should I use the Legion colors? Traditional World Eater red? A mix?

Also, I had an evil thought of giving the Betzerker champ a chainsword and powerfist and then swapping the sword for the Blade of the Hydra...

If they are part of the Legion they should have Legion colors imo.

Maybe with a red tint to it, tho that could be kinda hard to achieve with anything that's not Iron Warriors. :P

What are our thoughts on princes in Alpha Legion? I think they are far more useful and powerful than they were last edition. Whenever I ran my prince I found he got focus fired pretty quickly and spent most of my time jinking him to get a cover save.

• Wings (duh)
  • MoS
  • Elixir
  • Twin Talons
  • Maybe warpbolter

They seem like a solid choice, any Daemon Prince for that matter! Its just that some DPs indeed do not gain anything in particular from the Trait. However any Daemon Prince that also has a Psycic power is a force to be reckoned with. 

One of the best things for our current DPs is indeed that for all intends and purposes they are incredible character variants with a ton of strong attacks, good defence and generally the costs you want for an allround powerful HQ. I feel that every Chaos Space Marine army should have one really. 

I believe that the Mark of Slaanesh Daemon Prince with Elixer for sure is the strongest option. A set of Talons is great and Diabolic Strenght really makes this one scary prospect. I think you can skip on the Warp Bolter. If you do not run another support Sorcerer then certainly Warp Time remains the prime pick for it. 

I love your conversion idea, I'd also point towards looking at some of Privateer Press' Legion models as possible parts to use for a Hydra. 

5724f69f77d71339ba3afa5f134dbaff.jpg

Also, I had an evil thought of giving the Betzerker champ a chainsword and powerfist and then swapping the sword for the Blade of the Hydra... Nevermind, relics are for characters only.

Man that was a cool idea! 

Legion colors and lots of blood splatter. (Tamiya clear red mixed with a tiny amount of black. Apply it via flicking off a tooth brush to make it look like a splatter). This way you can tell they are part of the Legion, and also that they are completely devoted to Khorne.

Man that was a cool idea! 

Here's a nice one for an Alpha Legion Warlord:

Chaos Lord

Replace Chainsword with Blade of the Hydra

Replace Pistol with ANOTHER CHAINSWORD!!

Take "Flames of Spite" Warlord Trait.

Use stratagems, Warptime, etc. to get your Lord and an Exalted Champion in the right position.

4 Attacks + D3 + 1 for additional Chainsword.

Hitting on 2+, rerolling

Rerolling Wounds

All Wound Rolls of 6 cause a Mortal in ADDITION to normal damage.

Add Veterans of the Long War for hilarious fun.

Nah, I'm sticking with Arkos.  I did find room for my Khornate character as an Exalted Champion though, and he's going to get the Hydra Blade.  Plus I've got three Sorcerers, one with each possible Mark, so that's five potential warlords to bounce "I am Alpharius" around.  No one is ever going to score Slay the Warlord on me.

Yea Arkos is a certified badass. He's marbo's hero. The wording on his sheet is largely irrelevant due to what he's really good at.. which is lone infitration and soloing firebase units with the option of summoning daemonic incursions. better.than.anyone.

Not to mention strategic placement of his BS 2+ cbmelta and of course psychological warfare. On further thought I'm not sure FW would ever want to give his LotF rule to alpha legion. 

You know what Arkos did for the first 15 of his 25 years in the legion? Counter intelligence. Arkos doesn't exist. there is no Arkos.

Yea Arkos is a certified badass. He's marbo's hero. The wording on his sheet is largely irrelevant due to what he's really good at.. which is lone infitration and soloing firebase units with the option of summoning daemonic incursions. better.than.anyone.

Not to mention strategic placement of his BS 2+ cbmelta and of course psychological warfare. On further thought I'm not sure FW would ever want to give his LotF rule to alpha legion. 

You know what Arkos did for the first 15 of his 25 years in the legion? Counter intelligence. Arkos doesn't exist. there is no Arkos.

Hilariously enough, if you choose "ALPHA LEGION" you can give Arkos Flames of Spite as his choice for I Am Alpharius so that he can throw Mortals on 6's to wound. His 5 attacks make that seem worth it. Drop Vets of the Long War when he rushes a target, just to be sure. Can do the same with The Faithless if they're run as Renegades, and the Advance/Charge bonus stacks so well with the Renegade Legion Trait.

Errrr, "I am Alpharius" states that the additional warlord trait is chosen at random.  It specifically uses the term "randomly selected."  So no, you can't choose what trait goes with "I am Alpharius."  And honestly, any of those traits works well for Arkos though "Eternal Vendetta" is obviously of the most limited use...

Errrr, "I am Alpharius" states that the additional warlord trait is chosen at random.  It specifically uses the term "randomly selected."  So no, you can't choose what trait goes with "I am Alpharius."  And honestly, any of those traits works well for Arkos though "Eternal Vendetta" is obviously of the most limited use...

Thanks. Sorry about that. I thought it was only random when you switched Warlords. They all function pretty well, yeah, depending on opponent, etc.

I certainly think Arkos is a solid choice but it really depends what you want. Personally I like the re-roll 1s aura more than the +1 to advance and charge, but that might just be because I enjoy shooty armies more than choppy ones. This also assumes that your opponent is cool with his buff applying to generic Alpha Legion or you found some way to get THE FAITHLESS keyword(s) on your units.

Hits kit is good, but a bit schizoid. The combi-melta means he wants to be close up to vehicles but his blade doesn't work against them. That said, he might make a decent monster hunter seeing as both melta and the Blade of Black Venom both work against them. In terms of melee ability, I think he's actually a bit choppier than a generic lord with his extra attack, even though he doesn't get the re-roll. A little less accurate with his gat though.

What you are really taking him for (or at least what would really take him for) is the extra CP and free infiltrate. -1 to hit (on top of the AL -1 to hit) is cool and all, but as a character in a legion with forward operatives its unlikely that he's ever going to be a shooting target for the enemy anyway (and if he is you are probably doing something wrong).

As a body on the board he's a little bit of an odd duck and I struggle to think of a good use for him. He can (as you have pointed out) probably solo heavy weapon fireteams like Devastators/Havocs/Dark Reapers as well as summon daemons (probably Bloodletters/Bloodcrushers) to attack the opponent from an unexpected angle. Another use might be having him posse up with a unit of forward operatives that wants to be in close range but not melee (Thousand Sons/Plasma Havocs/Plasma Chosen). There he can dissuade enemy assault units and poke at the enemy with his melta, though if you want a babysitter a generic lord would probably serve you better.

So if I field him (probably at some point) I'll probably be using him as a flanker looking for weak units he can pick off on his own and summoning daemons to provide sudden pressure to a part of the board my opponent wasn't expecting.

Also, does his -1 to hit apply in overwatch? I don't think so, as overwatch is an unmodifiable 6+ to hit for everyone IRRC.

This also assumes that your opponent is cool with his buff applying to generic Alpha Legion or you found some way to get THE FAITHLESS keyword(s) on your units.

As I've mentioned before, Arkos' FAITHLESS buff should apply to Alpha Legionnaires because your LEGION keyword doesn't dictate your Legion Tactics.  Follow me on this.  "Renegade Chapters" is a Legion Tactic.  According to Huron's datasheet, his LEGION keyword is "RED CORSAIRS," but Huron benefits from the Renegade Chapters Legion Tactic.  Ergo, your LEGION keyword is not linked to your Legion Tactics choice.  So you can utilize Arkos as an Alpha Legion HQ using the FAITHLESS keyword on your army and the Alpha Legion Tactic rules and benefit from his FAITHLESS Charge/Advance aura.

Archived