++ The Brotherhood of Dust - A Thousand Sons Community ++

The game is very smooth. The Rubrics were taking 4+ Invulnerables (re-rolling 1s with Exalted nearby) vs. the Primaris Hellblasters. He had to overcharge them to get more damage but even then it was still 5++ re-rolling 1s.....

Hey Arch, how were the rubrics getting 4+ Invulns? does All is dust count towards Invulns?

Thanks!

Yes, it says "saving throws" if I recall correctly.

Awesome, that was my initial reading as saving throw is a general term and armor, invuln etc are specific types of saves though on other forums folks were crying foul when i brought this up so I thought I would wait for a consensus or official word.

I too am getting over the break up of 7th Ed psychic phase and our reduced role and accepting that the game was rewritten and all things are subject to change.

It was weird at first going from a SOT sorc that had some nice powers to only having mini smite (which is one example) a good spell though after seeing other armies i play or have like Harlies, Nids and Craftworlds still retain their spell lore I was like "we got shafted" and could not understand why. But it is what it is and I got exactly what I asked for earlier in this thread, some diverse utility spells so it's just a matter of understanding new battlefield roles and cross functions. It also might mean a new evolution of the psychic phase when our codex drops.

Of course I really wanted treason and Baleful Devolution which went to demons (so crude Lord Tzeentch, so cruel!!) Lol.

Hey, so, hypothetical question:

Ahriman and an Exalted are on the table across from some dude. The Exalted Sorcerer is closer to the enemy unit.

Can Ahriman be targeted?  My guess is yes, but just trying to get used to the way they worded the Character rules.

The rules state that character can only be targeted if they are the closest visible enemy unit to the shooting unit. So a character who is closer must be targeted before a character who is further.

At archaeinox: have you used the soulreaper on scarab occult terminators? If so, do you think it's worth the points? I figure on the SOT's it's worth 17 points as you give up a 3pt Infero combi-bolter for it.

At archaeinox: have you used the soulreaper on scarab occult terminators? If so, do you think it's worth the points? I figure on the SOT's it's worth 17 points as you give up a 3pt Infero combi-bolter for it.

I have not but my guess is no. I think that I like the level of effectiveness the Scarabs are at for 249pt with just the missile rack.

The Missile rack is just so flexible for split fire rules, but I do like the Soul reaper personally. Maybe more so now than in 7th. I see it as a good split fire weapon to finish some baddies off.

The question I came up with when list building is the Hellfyre missiles.... we know for some reason Astartes Termies in 7th could fire a missile AND the stormbolter but Chaos Termies could not. How will this work in 8th?

I would think that it also really comes in handy after you destroy the first unit you deep strike on and then are stuck at longer-range due to the abysmal movement speed. Do you think there are any times when you wished that you had it?

@ Prot: Actually, this far I haven't seen anything that says any models with more than one weapon can't fire all of them... case in point, cypher has no explicit rule that says he can fire both pistols, just one for firing after advancing. In addition, I've not seen a any rules that differentiate vehicles as a whole from other models other than specific data sheets!! To be fair, I've mostly just skimmed the rulebook so far though.

Edit: Page 179 explicitly states that if a model has more than one shooting weapon they can fire all of them at one or more targets in the shooting phase!!!!!!!!!!

@ Prot: Actually, this far I haven't seen anything that says any models with more than one weapon can't fire all of them... case in point, cypher has no explicit rule that says he can fire both pistols, just one for firing after advancing. In addition, I've not seen a any rules that differentiate vehicles as a whole from other models other than specific data sheets!! To be fair, I've mostly just skimmed the rulebook so far though.

Edit: Page 179 explicitly states that if a model has more than one shooting weapon they can fire all of them at one or more targets in the shooting phase!!!!!!!!!!

great news..Thanks for answering that. It gives another little notch to the Missiles while retaining the ability to split the individual shots, they won't waste bolter shots at missile targets.

You guys check out the faction focus today on our favorite faction?  I saw Arch did and posted some pics.   Lots of talk on the 40k board about not having are own spell list.  GW promises more goodies for all factions in codexes.

I say I am over it but it still gnaws at me a bit that nearly every other faction kept its spell list 'cept us or that there seems to be nothing that distinguishes us as top psychers except for Maggie and Ari.

Again, hoping the a new dex will expand our lore, I am sure it will.  The only reason I can think that we were given generic spells is that our codex will tie into an evolving of the psychic phase.

I'm fairly certain that a Chaos Legion Codex must be on its way to the printer pr editor. It wouldn't make sense to have the rules for Nurgle done and in book if at the time the remaining legions weren't being worked, or nearly done.

I'm just hoping that we all don't have to wait for a individual codex per legion for our rulea. I'm hoping for one Traitor Legion style release with a Triumverate set.

Hmmm, you think we will get lumped into a Traitor Legions style release for 8th?  Might be right as there might not be enough for a proper dex.  The Harlie dex barely scraped by as a full dex.  Much like Knights I expect or Astra Stormtroopers or whatever they are called.

That makes more sense than a 1k sons dex or an Alpha Legion dex.

@Skerr

It is difficult to tell what GW are thinking. If history is to be followed CSM will just have one large book, but AoS i have seen they sell all sorts of faction specific books once the big indexes were released.

@Raven1 and Skerr

I'm fairly certain the first Chaos "dex" will be a Traitor Legions type release. Why I think this is the following:

1) This would provide the most broad stroke adjustment to CSM. It would provide an impartial release avoiding talks of favouritism towards any single legion.

2) Traitor Legions style releases is the ideal avenue for undivided model releases as it is unbiased, except maybe a campaign book. Seeing as CSM could use some light upgrading/new kits this type of book would be a great companion.

3) Following the same logic as above, a Traitor Legion release would show an impartial view of CSM while releasing a Chaos Triumverate. A new Abe along with others (Bela or new characters would alsp be great) would make sense if they used characters with no specific legion loyalties.

4) This would be the easiest way to release Legion specific disciplines or strategems while remaining impartial to avoid Chaos from the fan base.

I think dexes for specific legions are definetly on the way but I think this is the safest, and most effective release for GW to fill the gap.

Yep, again overall ecstatic about our army overall. On today's faction focus Frankie specifically said Armor Save when referring to SOTs and All is Dust but it might have been on oversite on his part.

Arch, looking forward to hearing more experiences!

The wording of all is dust is fairly clear, "saving throw."  Last I checked Invulnerable saves have always been "saving throws."  and still are in 8th.

The page in the rule book referencing saving throws doesn't even bother to make the distinction since FNP is now gone (and it was specifically called out as NOT a "saving throw", but an "additional roll" in 7th ed) that Invulnerable saves are referenced as a "save" several times.  It says "You may choose which save you may take" in the blurb to the right regarding invulnerable saves. 

I see a *ton* of the various gaming communities debating this.....why do so many people have issues with it? Its pathetically obvious what the intent is... (or perhaps not, given the debate lol)  To me its a matter of basic reading comprehension. (not to be rude)

But it does say that Invulnerable saves are indeed a saving throw. And until I get an FAQ direct from GW saying "hey it doesn't benefit from all is dust" then I am going to play it as if we have a 3+/5++, and a 2+/4++ situational (or in the case of SOT, 1+/4++ situational).  I think judging by how the units are designed that actually was the intent, thats why we dont just have a 4++ anymore, it was intended to become that way against D1 weapons to make us incredibly resilient vs weaker guns, and okay vs bigger guns. 

I agree it is clear and also perhaps if you do not play 1k sons you might be more prone to argue against it.

Frankie's specific use of "armor save" instead of saving throw set a few nay sayers off. Don't see it being a problem in my club.

Also I have been wracking my head trying to figure out how in 8th our psych gifted legion has that feel from a mechanics pov. And realized it is by sheer volume of Smiters and Deny-ers not special rules gimmicks and shenanigans.

The loss of mechanics like bonus vs perils and large diversity of spells was jarring and I was looking for something tangible to replace those distinctions. No unique Lore seemed a slap in the face but the more I look at it like this, along with a new streamlined rule set the more it makes sense.

A little offence, move shenanigans and divination buff is right up our alley.

Archived