++ The Brotherhood of Dust - A Thousand Sons Community ++

I have a couple Razorbacks and a friend is going to pick up the chaos Land Raider box at my store for me. So I will slap some 30k TS transfers on it like I did for my Rhinos and Pred then stuff some sorcerers in it. Also, that will bring me up to 4000pts once I get it painted up.

4000pt 8th ed fully painted batrep soon......

I was thinking about the warpflamers again and one thing I did not realize is that overwatch is a full D6 for flamers. That might be situational but still I worry about the local Nids and Orks which are actually played a lot here.

I feel like elite armies will be a good matchup for us but I still stand by my original statement about stacking wound modifiers against armies that don't really care and what's worse is both of those armies have access to Ignoring morale outright and getting into first turn CC.

One question about flamers I have not been able to figure out.... does anyone know how range works against a target? Say a target unit is 8" away but most of the squad is 9" away or more.... can the flamer wound those models as well or only models within 8"?

The Warp flamer might be something I feel forced to take,or just more Tzaangors which I really was okay with in 7th but love them now. In fact I'm just finishing my second 10man Tzaangor assault squad.

Prot, once a unit declades a charge you need to check range for the warpflamers

They work great. To give you an example I dove a unit of Rubric Marines up the center of the field. Took out the Primaris Hellblasters etc and some support units and all that was left was the Primaris Captain, a couple lieutenants, and an incessor squad. So he declares a charge with the lieutenant and I overwatch with 2 flamers and the aspiring sorcerer. Murdered.

He could have sent 3 other units in but that told him not to because of being able to overwatch multiple times.

The warpflamers can even dent a few wounds on dreadnoughts and the like when they charge us (big problem in 7th, not so much an issue letting them get in with us now.)

Nice. Okay well if you check range, then I also assume only models within range can die, and that should also mean the opponent cannot pick models over 8" away to die?

Also, I just found on eBay a bits company selling a Tzaangor bodies, so I bought 10 since I have lots of spare bases and I saved my pistol /sword sprues from my other 3 kits. ;) So I have a nice discounted shooty Tzaangor squad to work on.

I hope to have 30 cc and 10 ranged ones by the time all is said and done.

I also assume only models within range can die

3. Allocate Wound: [...], the player commanding the target unit allocates the wound to any model in the unit (the chosen model does not have to be within range or visible to the attacking unit). 

Looks like I need to get myself new tsons box and make all warpflamers then!! (I have 40 assembled rubric marines with bolters, I don't think I need any more of that variety!!) anyone have any suggestions on converting old metal personnel mounted heavy bolters to soulreaper cannons? I have 4 of those bits and enough spare rubric parts to make marines out of them.

But the flamers are so expensive! 

When our official codex drops i can imagine myself grabbing a squad full of flamers, if any only if, we have a reliable way of dropping down with a dreadclaw and getting within 8 inches of a unit.

Make 1-2 units just go bye-bye in one phase than have a unit that cannot be reliably charged due to so many flamers...

I'm keeping one unit of 10 unbuilt for a little bit just for that idea

I am still a bit confused as to how we can include units like Raptors etc. that are not listed as being a Thousand Sons unit. Can I just take a Patrol Detachment, fill it with TSons units (Rubrics, Exalted Sorcerers, SOT etc.) and still include vanilla Termis and Raptors in the same detachment if I give them the Mark Of Tzeentch and just say they are from the Black Legion etc.? Or do they have to come from a different detachment?

I *think* it works like this:

Matched Play? If so, everything in the army has to be the same faction

Thousand Sons army? Okay, Rubrics are Troops in all your detachments if you want.

Thousand Sons army? No raptors allowed. 

Fine, don't make it a Thousand Sons army... make it Chaos or Tzeentch... Rubrics are now Elites.

Now you can take Raptors.

If i am wrong in this order of operations, correct me, because I have been using this as an example.

See, this confuses me. To me it sounds like the TSons army list is just a list that says "hey, these units here can all take the Thousand Sons keyword, thus benefiting from the character buffs". So I would argue that I can include units not listed there, I just can't give them the TSons keyword.

The rest checks out. Same faction? Yes, everything is from "Chaos Space Marines". Thousand Sons? Yes, I just give the Rubrics the TSons keyword and now they are troops. 

I *think* it works like this:

Matched Play? If so, everything in the army has to be the same faction

Thousand Sons army? Okay, Rubrics are Troops in all your detachments if you want.

Fine, don't make it a Thousand Sons army... make it Chaos or Tzeentch... Rubrics are now Elites.

Now you can take Raptors.

If i am wrong in this order of operations, correct me, because I have been using this as an example.

That's how I understood as well.I think you need to stick to one faction in your Detachments, and then get the bonus or rule for that Faction.

So I agree, using "Chaos" as a faction is the only way to get both Raptors and Thousand Sons in the same list at the cost of not really getting any benefit from "Thousand Sons" Detachment bonuses.

But it is NOT a Thousand Sons army! You said it yourself: The thing that defines your army is from which FACTION it is. So a Thousand Sons army is just a CSM army with a specific LEGION keyword. It doesn't say anywhere that I can't take any other legions if I take Thousand Sons units.

But it is NOT a Thousand Sons army! You said it yourself: The thing that defines your army is from which FACTION it is. So a Thousand Sons army is just a CSM army with a specific LEGION keyword. It doesn't say anywhere that I can't take any other legions if I take Thousand Sons units.

Right, it's not a Thousand Sons army.

Some units have multiple faction keywords. You pick one. Thousand Sons? Every unit in your detachment has to have key word Thousand Sons. Chaos? Every unit has to have keyword Chaos.

So the other way would be to have one detachment with all keyword Thousand Sons and a smaller detachment Keyword Chaos and then your army has both.

Thousand Sons? Every unit in your detachment has to have key word Thousand Sons. Chaos? Every unit has to have keyword Chaos.

So couldn't I just make a big detachment with all chaos units but still give the units in the Thousand Sons list the TSons keyword, thus making Rubric Marines troops? It doesn't say that all units in a detachment must come from the same legion...

Ok so this is how is it. Now lately I have been seeing things differently then most but here goes. Every must have at least one faction key work that it shares, be it chaos, Heretic Astartes, or <Legion> if you choose Heretic Astartes then everything has to at least have that.

There are no real benefits to <Legion> other than aura buffs. You can add anything not on the TS Army list but it gains nothing from the aura buffs unless the buff works on a different keyword like demon princes and warp talon the first buffs the "demon" keyword the latter has it.

As far as Rubrics go in the reveal they showed it as <Thousand Sons> and a troops choice, but the Index lists them as <Legion> and an elites choice. So I think it goes like this

Rubric marines <Thousand Sons> are troops

Rubric marines <Black Legion> are elites

That being said, if we get our own TS faction codex things not listed on the army list most likely won't be included

As far as Rubrics go in the reveal they showed it as <Thousand Sons> and a troops choice, but the Index lists them as <Legion> and an elites choice. So I think it goes like this

Rubric marines <Thousand Sons> are troops

Rubric marines <Black Legion> are elites 

Yup. And the list with all the Thousand Sons units merely allows those units to swap <Legion> for <Thousand Sons>. So may make an Heretic Astartes army, get some Rubrics, give them <Thousand Sons>. Now you take some Raptors, however, since they aren't on the TSons army list, you can't give them <Thousand Sons> but something like <Night Lords> etc. They can still share the same detachment as they are both Heretic Astartes units but only the Rubrics will be able to benefit from an Exalted Sorcerer's aura etc.

So problem solved, I think. Looks like I can take vanilla Termis and Raptors etc. alongside my Thousand Sons after all. :D

So is it just me or is the heldrake much perfect for taking out reletively fragile, high damage output targets. Move 30", baleflame-on, then charge with 4 S7 D3d attacks! I also think primaris marines should learn to fear the turkey!!

Thanks for the breakdown sir.

Another quick question probably all ready answered.  If my exalted sorc takes a disc and loses the infantry key word does he also lose the ability to buff infantry while on disc?

Also what does the demon key word do?

Thanks!

Archived