The biggest problem I have with Sanguinius is that he is tuned version of a current 40k Slamguinius captains. If you want him to kill that thing over there - no problem he will kill it (if that thing is not a Russ/Horus/other tanky primarchs) but that's all - he'll die doing it.

I find it particularly amusing that a complaint about Sanguinius is that he would likely die trying to kill Horus. 

He is meant to be horus' equal pre hours power up to be fair. The only one that the others believe could beat sanguinius is angron if he isn't being hampered by the nails.

Sanguiniua isn't as bad as people are making out. A couple of super small tweaks would sort him out. He's just not quite worthy of a 485 points cost when characters like Russ are 30 points cheaper. Or angron is only 10 points more.

I got my Limited Edition base for Sanguinius today.

My favorite detail of the entire model now is the fact that Sangy is gripping the daemon's right* horn with his left hand, thus rotating the daemon's head 900.

...he basically broke it's neck with a single twist and the sword/spear stab is just for fun.

That's Ahnold-with-no-shirt-challenging-the-Predator levels of bad- :cuss.

*so "port" side, to use nautical terms

Ka'Bandha

Miasma of Rage:

Ka'bandha, and any models within 12", adds +1 to the result of any rolls made to determine how many attacks it is granted by the Rampage special rule...

guess who has Rampage from the Encarmine Blade?

Eternal Rivalry:

If any enemy army includes Sanguinius, Ka'bandha gains teh Preferred Enemy (Sanguinius) and Hatred (Sanguinius) special rules and the following Secondary Objective is placed into effect:

If Sanguinius is removed as a casualty while it is fighting in a Challenge against Ka'Bandha, the Daemons of the Ruinstorm player scores 2 Victory points -- this is in addtion to any points scored for Slay the Warlord. However, if Ka'bandha is removed as a casualty while it is fighting in a Challenge against Sanguinius, then the Daemons of the Ruinstorm player instead loses 1 Victory Point.

Edited by Indefragable

My favorite detail of the entire model now is the fact that Sangy is gripping the daemon's right* horn with his left hand, thus rotating the daemon's head 900.

...he basically broke it's neck with a single twist and the sword/spear stab is just for fun.

That's Ahnold-with-no-shirt-challenging-the-Predator levels of bad- :cuss.

So the model is up for purchase on site?

That's Ahnold-with-no-shirt-challenging-the-Predator levels of bad- :censored:.

Not yet, it seems. I attended the HH Weekender and was able to (pre)Order it. Just arrived yesterday (Weekender was first weekend in February...)

That's Ahnold-with-no-shirt-challenging-the-Predator levels of bad- :censored:.

FW has put up an article with release set for this Friday 29th March

They took the Angel thing and not only ran with it, but then got in a taxi to the airport and flew 3 times around the globe with it, for a Primarch that whole heatedly embraced the imperial truth and unification to the point of fanaticism it seems odd at best, at worst a complete rewrite of what Bligh had planned including the single page descriptor of the legion (the one on the red page at the start of the legion write up). We have Sphere's and Power's and Virtue's with ranks taking their names from types of angel's or are at least obviously inspired by them.

What happened to sang being worried about his wing's being a mockery of the imperial truth and in a way hating that he has them because he see's himself as even more distant from humanity then his brothers, nope it's angels all the way 

We start out, out SW-ing the pre-Russ SW's and out WE-ing the post Angron WE's on the no one want's us near them because we are the slaughter everything in sight legion without regards to order's or plans (in fact Imperial officers were expected to just let them do what ever they wanted and deal with clean up as best they could) that can't handle tactics beyond squad or company level at best while leadership is handled by might make's right.

Then Sang turns up and out RG's RG on the strictness in the chain of command. renames everything so it has something to do with angels, with no reference for that decision as far as i can tell, no hint that it came from The Blood, no nothing (at least in the part's i've seen). 

Don't get me wrong there's some fantastic stuff in their, like the legion while fighting on Terra amassed religious groupies until the big E banned religion and the BA's turning around and slaughtered them without batting an eye lid or that Sang uses spies and assassins (ok prospero burns says all the legions have them, but this book tells you straight up that they are there) 

I really like it this way. Also I’m pretty sure they would not have rewritten what Bligh wrote. From my understanding they took and used all of his notes.

Also, I don’t think RG wanted to be the most strict. RG’s system is far more Flexible than the BA’s. Believe it or not, the BA’s way is not a very good or flexible way in the field, and so it makes sense RG isn’t as strict.

Edited by Arkangilos

TBH i think my main issues with it are I wanted something different, i wanted to see how The Blood influenced the Legion and Sang, with maybe a more Tribal feel to the Legion (like the hint that the first Chapter is made up only of people from The Blood, ok we don't even have chapters any more, and Raldoron lost the thing about being the first BA to get the Rank of Chapter Master before the Council of Nicea)

new head canon Virtue's, Sphere's and Power's are just translations from the Baalite names (a future form of Hebrew and other middle eastern languages, since i don't think any other Legion has that) used by the Blood and could have also been translated as Paragon (of), Encompassing (group) and Strong (at) since that's pretty much how they are used by the BA's

Well considering it wasn’t until Sanguinius was reunited with his legion that his legion became angelic, it stands to reason he brought it all from the Blood.

I just wish this came out before Swallow’s Fear to Tread so he could have used it and made a far more interesting chapter.

Edited by Arkangilos

I wish there was more cross referencing between FW and BL too, I know BL is an as it happens series while the FW black books are semi historical but FW shoe horning stuff in just for the sake of it, like suddenly Custard guard with the BA's on Signus prime as an excuse to re-release an army list that could have had a PDF errata release

I wish there was more cross referencing between FW and BL too, I know BL is an as it happens series while the FW black books are semi historical but FW shoe horning stuff in just for the sake of it, like suddenly Custard guard with the BA's on Signus prime as an excuse to re-release an army list that could have had a PDF errata release

It doesn't feel like Custodes are being shoe horned in. The Heresy was a massive war, much bigger than the BL books can describe, even after 50+ books. The BL books focus on specific people for dramatic purposes, while the FW books give a wider analysis of the events that took place, and FW has always been fantastic at that. They've always been great at adding more context to this universe.

The Sons of Horus being on Prospero, the story of a contingent of Raven Guard fighting on Terra during the siege. None of those stories feel like those legions have been shoe horned in because FW always gives a proper well written justification for them. Granted, I get the fact that you're not a fan given that you call them Custard guard, but like the other stories they aren't shoe horned in. 

Besides, Fear to Tread was a awful cartoony goofy book. The further FW stays away from it, the better.

Edited by m0nolith

Not read the book yet but what I’ve heard so far is unexpected, I expected them to be all sane and noble pre Heresy and The bloodthirsty madness to come after the Heresy. Not to say that’s necessarily a bad thing the little I’ve heard sounds interesting so I’m hopeful.

One thing I’m glad of is the Forge World writers seem to have not worried about staying to close to the Black Library portrayal of the 9th, in my opinion swallow dropped the ball with the 9th and the rest didn’t even bother to pick up the ball. So I can live with a few inconsistencies if it gives the 9th more personality than the Black Library writers did.

My one concern so far is pre Primarchs there’s to many no discipline kill them all types with us being last and so looking unoriginal.

It doesn't feel like Custodes are being shoe horned in. The Heresy was a massive war, much bigger than the BL books can describe, even after 50+ books. The BL books focus on specific people for dramatic purposes, while the FW books give a wider analysis of the events that took place, and FW has always been fantastic at that. They've always been great at adding more context to this universe.

The Sons of Horus being on Prospero, the story of a contingent of Raven Guard fighting on Terra during the siege. None of those stories feel like those legions have been shoe horned in because FW always gives a proper well written justification for them. Granted, I get the fact that you're not a fan given that you call them Custard guard, but like the other stories they aren't shoe horned in. 

Besides, Fear to Tread was a awful cartoony goofy book. The further FW stays away from it, the better.

Honestly i don't mind the Custodian guard, the only reason i call them custard guard is because they are yellow, ok gold but metallic ink in books is expensive, and it fits the name, and the reason FW hints at for them being there is good, Horus wanted rid of the them or Sang, Sang gets corrupted, the guard kills him - Horus wins, Sang is dead, remaining BA's are traitors and becomes a rallying cry to the other legions for how bad the big E really is and takes the blame for who started the heresy. Sang gets corrupted and kills the Guard - Horus wins, Horus gets another legion, Logar gets to act smug for a bit but you can't win everything, and less Guard to spoil his plans. It shows that Horus is doing the plans with in plans with more contingencies than a thing with a lot of contingencies. FW is showing how good at being bad Horus is without outright saying it.

But that doesn't stop them being shoe horned in, just means it's a well thought out shoe horned in, the only reason they are there is because FW needed to update them and wanted to charge for the update to improve sales, with a side order of we need to fill the page count, i have no issues with them for doing it, (and I hope they go into more detail to flesh out the shoe horning.) they are a company and need to make money after all.

As for Fear to Tread, that's something we can both agree on, it has it's good part's though few and far between, like Sang's temper or using officers to externalise different facets of himself to help control himself or the Flesh Tearer's butchering of the SW's with them and their shame at giving in to their fury but their honesty and honour in needing to inform Russ even if it means their death or Sangs, but then with how few books the BA's have been in our best representation is probably as cameo's in other legions' books.

Guess i'm just frustrated at the differences between BL's 30K law and FW's 30K law and inconsistencies in the portrayal of the BA's in general like Roldoron's rank changing since we now don't have chapters and the changes between book 7 and book 8, going from simply being known as the IXth legion with the first chapter known as the Hell Rider's to the whole legion having two prior alias' both now used as derogatory terms for the legion and sang pretty much ignoring that part of the legions past.

• 2 weeks later...

For those without the book:

300 companies of 500 marines, multiple companies are Hosts (Dante's title of lord of the golden host seems to be a throw back to the legion now)

Everyone up to Sargent is in the third sphere or Malak and don't seem to have any special rank names,

Consuls/Praetors are second sphere (un-named it seems)

Consuls seem to be called Virtue's as in Virtue of X (Virtue of Swords i guess for a company champion),

Centurions and lower rank Praetors are called Powers,

Company captain level Centurions/Praetors are Dominion's.

Host level Captains/Praetors are Archeins.

There seems to be some inconsistency in the naming, Raldaron goes from being called a captain to 1st captain when he should be called Dominion Raldaron or Archein Raldaron depending on how many companies are under his command at the time.

i retract most of my ire at the book now i have a copy to sit and read.

Chugging through the fluff myself. It's quite the read but glosses over lots of stuff. I wish they had more color plates for each of the units. We don't get any idea what the angel's tear or dawnbringers look like which is annoying from a "historical markings" perspective.

They probably didn't have models sketched out at that point. I say this because you don't see much about the Crimson Paladins either. 

Edited by Marshal Rohr

Chugging through the fluff myself. It's quite the read but glosses over lots of stuff. I wish they had more color plates for each of the units. We don't get any idea what the angel's tear or dawnbringers look like which is annoying from a "historical markings" perspective.

Yea that kinda annoys me, as well as there being less Marking Plates then the WS.

Here's hoping they offer the scenic base sometime later (Ala Fulgrim/Ferrus or Russ/Magnus).

I couldn't afford to get both this time around so missing out on the scenic base would make me sad.

Its not a permanent thing.

You will still be able to get it afterwards at events and at warhammer world, and by extension, ebay.