Good question. The Backpack is supposed to carry the energy source for the PA and without it the PA should be pretty much impossible to move for the wearer normally.

backpack

Backpack

are the primarch armors actually power armor? 

Plenty of models out there with power armour and no backpack. It can be 'powered armour' without specifically being "power armour".

Magnus, the Emperor, Witch Hunter Tyrus, Terminators, etc, are all examples of 'powered armour' that doesn't have a backpack.

Maybe the power cells are built in. 

Edited by Xenith

Yeah it could always been some kind of mastercrafted armour that doesn't follow standard designs. Or just the artists not knowing about the purpose of said backpack and deciding to leave it out because it looks better. ^^

I’m curious to know (and haven’t been able to find out yet) how Sanguinius compares to other primarchs in the 30k setting.

Does he stack up well in terms of a combat powerhouse with the best as well as Provide good synergy?

Edit: based on the leaked rules

Edited by Silverson

I’m curious to know (and haven’t been able to find out yet) how Sanguinius compares to other primarchs in the 30k setting.

Does he stack up well in terms of a combat powerhouse with the best as well as Provide good synergy?

He's top tier for sure. High WS, A etc with excellent wargear. Good & relevant buffs around jump packs and combat. Shooting is meh but not many Primarchs shoot too well (however Mortarion, Ferrus & Vulkan get decent ranged attacks).

His only weakness is his relatively frailty after the first round of combat, where his 4++ with a re-roll becomes just a flat 4++.

Sadly but he is not even in a top-3 list.

He will be outright dead versus Horus and Leman Russ due to WS and to-hit negative effects (And that is a weak pre-daemoned traitor Primarchs versions!)

Also he will loose to Magnus because he is overpowered as hell because magic (and again -1 to-hit).  

On a bright side - Angron and Fulgrim is no danger to Sanguinius, which makes him top-middle class fighters (which is a shame for a combat oriented Primarch)

His set of rules really breaks my heart. Especially fact that he has no +1 to wound bonus for red thirst (well he is no pesky legioner astartes d~oooh) he has no hit and run (which could at least give him a kite tactic against Horus and Russ making him technicaly winner).

And his bonuses for Legion... using jump pack in move and assault phase? Well... ok I'll count that as re-roll charges for jump packers. What else? Nothing? What do you mean nothing?

No scatter deep strike for unit he attached to? Wow, even Dante could do that.

So basicly - as fighter he is like 8.5/10, as general he is 3.5/10.

Can BA army be good without him? Absolutely. In Fact - new units Paladins/Dawnbreakers looks so good they probably could do Sanguinius job instead.

Edited by Omega-soul

• 3 weeks later...

we have a couple of names from "The Passing of Angels"  Alepheo Commander of the Second Seraphic Host

also something from it, if the writer had access to Malevolence or if it's in some GW/BL/FW meta hand book thingy, the commander of a Destroyer force (maybe a unique ROW) is the Dominion of a Destroyer host.

There's also mention of a Shar-General Galen (Female commander of an attached Imperial Army force or non space marine BA auxiliary force) and a (maybe) new type of aircraft "Lightning Crows" possibly a bomber

Also explains where the Destroyers silver death-mask helmets come from 

Hurry up Book 8 already. Jeeze.

I'm guessing it will be out the same time as the other books were, the lack of books at the open day seems to be a someone forgot to special order in some advanced copies from the printers in China, so mid March for those with pre orders and late March for the rest of us.

• 2 weeks later...

Well, without Hit&Run (unless you take him in an Angels Wrath list), the sword is better since the spear is only S6 after the first round of combat whereas Rampage (iirc) and Shred the S+1 Blade Encarmine gives is always-on.

Unless youre consistently fighting Mechanicum or, soon to be, T6+ Multiwound Daemons, at which point the spear is better.

That's true. Though I suppose you'd want him to be fighting the big nasties with that kind of weapon and his charge bonuses!

Seems like a good Primarch to run solo where possible, drop him with a bodyguard to soak hits then let him run free.

I almost feel like youd want to run Angels Wrath RoW over any others just for the simple fact that he'd get Hit&Run (if he even can) to make the most out of his high Init and the Spear.

For the benefit of those of us who aren't in the know, why does he benefit from an Angels Wrath list? What about the other two (DoR and the themed one?)

He can benefit from the other ones its just that Angels Wrath specifically gives Jump Infantry Hit & Run.

In Day of Revelation (the excellent one), Sanguinius benefits from:

• Turn one Deep Strike (and he + his unit won't scatter due to his own rules)
  • Pinning on his ranged attack
  • 5+ cover save (basically irrelevant)

In Day of Sorrow (the terrible, unplayable one), Sanguinius benefits from:

• Literally nothing. Only Legiones Astartes (Blood Angels) are affected by the rules.

Glad the memory of this "random guy on B&C" that 1d4chan had quoted was not wrong :teehee:

Anyways, couple things I noticed since I got a glimpse at the Weekender:

-he gains +1I and +1A in the first turn of combat, not just if he charges. Even better with more utility, especially if people try to charge you the turn you DS.

-6's To Wound w/ Spear do double wounds

So....you can hop over a unit and do S6 AP2 Ignores Cover hit, then re-roll Charge in for S10 AP2 auto-hit, then do a minimum of 7A attacks at any of the following stat lines below, hitting anything in the game not-named-Russ-or-Angron on 3's, all while getting a 83% chance of deflecting anything AP3 or worse and a 75% chance of deflecting anything AP2 or better.

Hidden Content

Spear of Telesto

S: +3/User AP1/2 Melee, Two-handed, Instant Death, Master-crafted, Wrath of Angels (6's To Wound do 2x wounds). On the Charge/not charging

Moonsilver blade

S: User AP3 Melee, Master-Crafted, Blind, Duellist's Edge (+1I in Challenge), Moonsilver (wounds against daemons/psykers counts as 2x wounds)

Blade Encarmine:

S+1 AP2 Melee, Rampage (+D3 attacks if outnumbered), Shred (re-roll failed To Wound).

Honestly, the Spear is going to be what you see the most of because of the insane power it gives; S9 AP1 Instant Death and 2 wounds on 6's will nuke almost anything, and even other Primarchs/Eternal Warriors will be sorely hurting.

That being said, I'm actually kind of thinking I might go Encarmine Blade as the go-to since it's such a utility weapon and he can break off and solo anything other than Sigismund or another Primarch/Greater Daemon with it.

I think the Moonsilver blade is actually hilariously effective against Angron, since Mr Angry only has a 3+ save and could be hit with Blind LOL.

Edited by Indefragable