Wraithwing’s Deathwolves - A Space Wolves Painting Blog

Wraithwing

those bloodclaws look fantastic!! they really do.

and great work on magnetising the dread! bet it was a real chore but worth it in the end defnately.

Thanks Amarog!

Yes, it was a pain, and the longest time it's taken to assemble a miniature, but as you say, worth it!

I always start out thinking "I'm going to magnetize this model", but then I get to that stage and say screw it and just build which ever version I want, then buy another kit... Not the most cost effective, I know... But now I can field Bjorn, 2 BlizzDreads, and Murder McBucket.

The Blood Claws look ace all based up as well, Wraithwing. The army is really coming together, and I am finding much inspiration in it as I move towards starting my own Dragongaze force.

End of Line

I always start out thinking "I'm going to magnetize this model", but then I get to that stage and say screw it and just build which ever version I want, then buy another kit... Not the most cost effective, I know... But now I can field Bjorn, 2 BlizzDreads, and Murder McBucket.

The Blood Claws look ace all based up as well, Wraithwing. The army is really coming together, and I am finding much inspiration in it as I move towards starting my own Dragongaze force.

End of Line

Cheers bud. Good timing with the Drakeslayers transfer sheet, eh?

Im in love with the look of your models. So clean and badass.

also, I almost cried at the amount of magnets you used. I've only tried my hand at magnetizing models, and dont want to imagine the work that beast caused you.

Thanks dude. Yeah, lost count of the times I glued magnets to myself. Worth it though.

Time for another WIP updates, this time my first pack of Thunderwolves! I wanted to paint each Wolf differently, yet try and maintain a cohesive paint scheme:

gallery_5348_11506_154860.jpg

gallery_5348_11506_20190.jpg

gallery_5348_11506_48541.jpg

Still a few minor details left to do, and the basing, but getting there.

Let me know what you think. Did I achieve my goal of a cohesive look?

Cheers,
WW

The wolves look amazing. Is this brushwork or are you using the airbrush on the wolves? Either way, it looks great and I'm incredibly jealous of your work rate!

Many thanks for the kind comments!

Yes, it's all brushwork.

Missed the last few updates, havent been online for a while, RL impacting on hobby again, sigh.

Wolves are simply stunning dude....can you provide a step by step to them please?

Which ones, the Thunderwolves?

What colors are you using for the armor? would like to know the basecoat and so on.....

Prime Chaos Black spray, then basecoat with The Fang spray (though brush on/airbrush The Fang is fine), then layer with Russ Grey (through an airbrush, using Russ Grey from the Air range), then black line armour panels and joints with Nuln Oil, then tidy up with more Russ Grey. The next stage is an edge highlight with Fenrisian Grey. 

Love these! Super clean look and great colors. I think the wolves will look cohesive enough but its hard to say without the riders. Should be good though since they will be a unifying factor.

Love your Death Wolves dude keep up the good work

beautiful work

Thanks all for the kind comments! :)

Cheers, 

WW

Missed the last few updates, havent been online for a while, RL impacting on hobby again, sigh.

Wolves are simply stunning dude....can you provide a step by step to them please?

I'll assume you mean the Thunderwolves.

For the grey wolf, base coat was celestra grey, with dawnstone used for the fist pattern, and then washed with nuln oil. I then drybrushed with celestra again. Then I did the final stripe down the back of the wolf in black, highlighted with grey.

The grey/brown wolf was based in dawnstone, then washed with nuln oil. Then a stripe of XV88 was applied as the first pattern, then Dryad bark as the final pattern colour. Then I washed it with agrax earth shade. Then I drybrushed the grey with administratum grey, and the dryad bark with gorthor brown. Then a final black stripe was painted down the back of the wolf.

The final wolf was based in zandri dust, and gorthor brown and dryad bark as the pattern. Then it was all washed in agrax earth shade. He zandri was drybrushed up with ushabti bone, and the Browns with their lighter counterparts. A final black stripe was applied down the back of the wolf, and highlighted with eshin grey.

The Thunderwolves are now finished, just the riders left to do:

gallery_5348_11506_154094.jpg

gallery_5348_11506_147016.jpg

gallery_5348_11506_154551.jpg

gallery_5348_11506_37686.jpg

gallery_5348_11506_58949.jpg

gallery_5348_11506_184589.jpg

gallery_5348_11506_29315.jpg

gallery_5348_11506_54540.jpg

gallery_5348_11506_8742.jpg

Just the grass tufts and snow to add, but will do those once the riders are on and the miniatures have been varnished.

As always, C&C welcome!

Cheers,

WW

Archived