Wraithwing’s Deathwolves - A Space Wolves Painting Blog

Wraithwing

Wraithwing,

I'm also working on converting Drenn, and it's good to see him with other arm options. I also used that same TWC for my Iron Priest and gave him two bionic front legs. Great minds thinking alike and all that...

Keep it up, brother!!

End of Line

The Grey Hunters are lookin' awesome, and if your March was slow, then you're still doing better than my year. ;)

Great looking pack of Wulfen, and I like the Iron Priest on TWC, good inspiration and now I'm off to check Fyth's thread.

Edit: It's early, I can't spell...

Finally, I took a leaf out of Fyth's book, and converted my Iron Priest to ride a Thunderwolf:

gallery_5348_11506_98656.jpg

Super easy to do, and managed to keep all the cables and pipes intact.

Cheers,

WW

Great conversion. I had a lot of trouble with mine, on account of having to sculpt a saddle that went missing (also made things hard on myself by re-positioning the arm)

So the first half of my second Grey Hunter pack is now finished:

gallery_5348_11506_90642.jpg

gallery_5348_11506_58561.jpg

gallery_5348_11506_88614.jpg

I lost a bit of momentum with these guys, so I'm glad they're now finished. I can reward myself with painting a more interesting unit, perhaps my Wulfen, or a vehicle/character.

C&C is, as always, welcome.

Cheers,

WW

• 1 month later...

So, things have been a little quiet on the Space Wolves front for the last month or so, mainly due to a few other projects, but mostly real life getting in the way.

To keep things going, and provide some motivation, here's a pic of the painted Wolves I have so far in the cabinet at my local Games Workshop:

gallery_5348_11506_287047.jpg

I've never had miniatures on display in the store before, so quite chuffed about that!

Currently on the painting table is another pack of 5 Grey Hunters, and a pack of 5 Wulfen.

Cheers,

WW

• 2 months later...

So, long time no post!

Life has been very busy over the last few month, so much so that I haven't been able to update this thread, though I have still been slowly chipping away at my Wolves.

I even got my first game of 40K in in about 6 years, which was a victory for the Wolves, so I was very happy about that.

That game has provided a little more motivation to get the army finished, and to add a few more units. One of the units in question is a Wyrdstorm Brotherhood.

Heres the first member, a kitbashed Rune Priest:

gallery_5348_11506_12611.jpg

gallery_5348_11506_128060.jpg

gallery_5348_11506_56486.jpg

gallery_5348_11506_47037.jpg

I'll only be running two Rune Priests for now, both on foot, in a Drop Pod with a unit of Grey Hunters, but in bigger games, I will likely expand this to three, with the third on a Bike accompanying my TWC.

Anyway, please let me know what you think!

Cheers,

WW

Love the pose of the Rune Priest. Me and you are in the same boat gaming wise :( I have not had a game since the start of 5th before our current dex. 

Extra motivation for me to model/paint and force my way into some gaming. 

Can't wait to see more. 

• 2 weeks later...

Oh heck!!! Now I really want to make a Rune Priest like that.

That model is epic!!

You... Must... Paint... It!!

Hehe, cheers buddy. He's in the queue, and I'm working on another rune priest converted from the plastic librarian with the staff, so will likely paint them together.

You should be glad you magnetized those shields on the wulfen.. worst thing to paint around ever.

I love your painting. It's so clean and one of the few of the blue grey scheme that I thoroughly enjoy looking at.

High praise indeed. Thanks dude!

• 3 weeks later...

So, by way of keeping this project thread going, and as a way to keep me motivated, I thought I'd post up a picture of what is currently on my table for the Space Wolves:

gallery_5348_11506_58065.jpg

We have:

• 5x Wulfen, first pack of two. These have been primed for ages, but finally starting to get some paint on them.
  • 5x Grey Hunters. These are the second half of the first pack I painted up. Again, basecoated for ages, but making more progress.
  • 5x Skyclaws. At assembly stage, part of the Greatpack tax.
  • Wyrdstorm Brotherhood of 2 Rune Priests. The one with the staff is supposed to be finished for a local painting competition, but not sure if I'll get him done in time.
  • 1x Drenn Redblade, converted into the leader for my third, as yet unbuilt, Grey Hunter pack.

Aaand just in the background, some Deathwatch dice and datacards for my next project...

So, lots on the go. Hoping to make much more headway with the Wolves over the next few months.

Cheers,

WW

Great work on the pair of Rune Priests!

Thanks bud!

Made some more progress on the Rune Priest with Staff tonight. Need to get him done by tomorrow night really:

gallery_5348_11506_138158.jpg

gallery_5348_11506_9540.jpg

And a somewhat blurry photo of his head:

gallery_5348_11506_6250.jpg

Quite pleased with the way he's gone so far. The arms and staff are not yet glued in place.

C&C is welcome!

Cheers,

WW

If that's your entry, I feel bad for the competition[/quote

Funnily enough, my Rune Priest won!

I'll be entering Armies on Parade with this force this year, so I've been planning my board in my head.

• 3 weeks later...

Armies on Parade is fast approaching, so it's full steam ahead in getting the portions of the army I'm displaying finished.

Still to do is finishing off 10 Grey Hunters, as well as 5 Wulfen, and painting 2 Drop Pods.

Here's where I'm at with some free handing for the banner for Harald's Great Company:

gallery_5348_11506_1041011.jpg

Cheers,

WW

So, after these guys being built and base coated for months, I finally got my butt into gear and got some more Grey Hunters painted. These will be going in my Armies on Parade entry:

Melta Pack:

gallery_5348_11506_181640.jpg

gallery_5348_11506_76598.jpg

gallery_5348_11506_116054.jpg

Plasma Pack:

gallery_5348_11506_4672.jpg

gallery_5348_11506_14381.jpg

gallery_5348_11506_188417.jpg

Still need to add the grass tufts and snow to the last pack, but I need to varnish them first.

That's 20 Grey Hunters finally completed!

Next up, Wulfen and Drop Pods.

C&C is, as always, appreciated.

Cheers,

WW

Archived