Wraithwing’s Deathwolves - A Space Wolves Painting Blog

Wraithwing

awesome as always

I love your work man. I can never get that colour scheme to look as good as yours does. Two thumbs up

Cheers guys, thanks for the kind words. They stoke the fires of motivation! 

And now for something completely different:

gallery_5348_11506_109609.jpg

Armies on Parade display board WIP.

Was hoping to get a LOT more done today, but my daughter was up in the night with a stomach bug, so have been running on half power today.

Hopeing to get the quadrant around the outside done tomorrow, and the board primed and basecoated.

Here's an earlier shot of whats going on the board:

gallery_5348_11506_123232.jpg

The finished product will have more trees, and I'll be painting it to match my bases.

Cheers,

WW

Thanks for the positive comments guys!

The thought occurred to me that in all my excitement over Armies on Parade, I forgot to post photos of my latest unit, the Wulfen:

gallery_5348_11506_305135.jpg

gallery_5348_11506_50385.jpg

gallery_5348_11506_147010.jpg

gallery_5348_11506_77843.jpg

gallery_5348_11506_51497.jpg

gallery_5348_11506_16956.jpg

I'm quite pleased with how these guys turned out. I screwed up the first coat of primer I used on them, and had to strip them, and it really demotivated me with this unit. I've had quite wall to climb to get them finished, and AoP provided the push I needed. Now that I've finished them, I really love them, so will be painting the second pack ASAP.

Cheers,

WW

• 3 weeks later...

Depends if you tell us that you got a new thread. I can't wait to see what you do with the content. What's in the big black box?

Together with a BoP Box I take a guess: The Father of Heroes himself...

Over the last few days, I've been trying out a test scheme for my Heresy Wolves.

I like the darker grey, but as you can probably tell by now, I'm a sucker for the 2nd ed blue grey.

As such, I've tried to replicate it for the heresy, like this:

gallery_5348_11506_22941.jpg

gallery_5348_11506_18101.jpg

gallery_5348_11506_47885.jpg

gallery_5348_11506_2530.jpg

OK, where to begin.

Weirdly, I'm not feeling this colour scheme compared to my 40K wolves, which I just love. Something feels like it is missing, and I just can't put my finger on it. Maybe it's the lack of wolfy bits that is putting me off? Also, I feel as though the gold doesn't work well with the blue/grey.

A couple of things I have done differently with this scheme over my normal Wolves:

First, I've used Agrax as the shade, instead of Nuln, as I wanted the armour to have a dirtier, grittier feel.

Secondly, I've used Reikland Fleshade to shade the gold, and then highlight with Auric Armour Gold. Previously I've used Agrax to shade the gold.

Like I said above, I just can't put my finger on what is not working with this scheme for me. I really want to break the Heresy mold and move away from using dark grey.

What do you guys think?

Cheers,

WW

I might have some shadow rey at home..need to check the old pots.

I loved it far more than the newer blues.

I would suggest going with something like sycorax as the highlight for the golds. I also personally start off with balthasar gold for mine as I like the darker look;

I think you need to introduce another colour like a red as Wispy suggested to break up the wall of blue grey.

Or some knotwork ;)

I might have some shadow rey at home..need to check the old pots.

I loved it far more than the newer blues.

I would suggest going with something like sycorax as the highlight for the golds. I also personally start off with balthasar gold for mine as I like the darker look;

I think you need to introduce another colour like a red as Wispy suggested to break up the wall of blue grey.

Or some knotwork :wink:

You know what, it might have to be knotwork. 

What colour though? Gold?

Archived