[HH1.0] 30k Space Wolves tactics

Volth

Yep, that's what the game comes down to: What will we have fun playing with? Plus with the Mastodon you can always smack your opponent on the head if he's too WAAC.

If you ask me what LOW would Russ look sexy with:

- Mastodon

- Falchion

- Thunderhawk (but i'll wait until they release a new one)

- Stormbird

- Cerberus or Typhon as long as he's riding in a Spartan

My biggest issue with the Mastodon is I would want to take Russ at that high of a points level and put him in it, obviously that creates issues with them both being a LoW :sad.:

Edit: didn't realize the Onslaught force org has two LoW slots! Well never mind ;)

Edited by ronin_cse

I think the only way to play Russ really is Grey Slayers, Speaker of the Dead, Wolf-Kin, Russ in a Kharybdis, and splitting them up once you deploy. Or, Russ, the Wolf-kin and a Speaker of the dead in a Dreadclaw. Due to his rules Russ is actually better of being in combat by himself. 

I will be running Russ with his Wolfkin+speaker in a dreadclaw (bloodied claw RoW) when I want to run him. When I get him I will definitely playtest this.

The other (way cooler, but  NO way competetive) option is just varagyr spam Pale Hunters lead by Russ and Red-blade and outflanking Russ.

I generally don't feel like super heavy LoW choice + Primarch is really an effecient investment. It leaves me feeling like my army is ridiculously small.

I will be running Russ with his Wolfkin+speaker in a dreadclaw (bloodied claw RoW) when I want to run him. When I get him I will definitely playtest this.

The other (way cooler, but NO way competetive) option is just varagyr spam Pale Hunters lead by Russ and Red-blade and outflanking Russ.

I generally don't feel like super heavy LoW choice + Primarch is really an effecient investment. It leaves me feeling like my army is ridiculously small.

Definitely can leave a small feeling model wise but a lot of the low tanks are really what you get when you combine a bunch of vehicles anyways. If you were spending 500 points on killy tanks a lot of the time a good low choice can do the same. But it defintely leaves a small feeling when you think about it.

I'd also really love to see a functional Russ and Varagyr pale hunters list if someone can get one to work I'd really like to try it.

Edited by Purge the Daemon

The other (way cooler, but NO way competetive) option is just varagyr spam Pale Hunters lead by Russ and Red-blade and outflanking Russ.

Definitely can leave a small feeling model wise but a lot of the low tanks are really what you get when you combine a bunch of vehicles anyways. If you were spending 500 points on killy tanks a lot of the time a good low choice can do the same. But it defintely leaves a small feeling when you think about it.

I'd also really love to see a functional Russ and Varagyr pale hunters list if someone can get one to work I'd really like to try it.

I'll be doing some list-building with the idea and fully intend to proxy battle the idea. I have alot of ideas I want to test out lol

Agreed. That's why hell be in my Mastodon with the Wolf kin, then I'll have Hvarl and 5 Varagyr and 15 grey slayers (or 14 + Speaker of the Dead) and they'll have the ability to assault from it at different targets and operate independently.

Damn guys massive shocker from over heresy30k. A member shared fw answers to questions that are clear cut and not a 'that's how we play it' or 'roll a dice'.

I'll share the full answers later since I'm out but here's the link:

http://heresy30k.invisionzone.com/index.php?/topic/9661-forgeworld-answers-via-mail-about-inferno/&do=findComment&comment=180641

Affecting us in particular:

- Huscarls can take Great frost blade

- No, never a terminator can have hit and run from the Pale Hunter row, any unit with at least one model in Terminator armor of any kind loses the ability

- And wait for this.,, the Kharybdis is not classed as a drop pod so we can take it in the Pale Hunter Row. That's a shocker imo and gives significant more flexibility to the rite.

If the Kharybdis is true, how would you guys feel about this Pale hunter list:

Night of the Wolf (2500)

Vlka Fenryka

The Wolf-kin of Russ 100

Bjorn Ironside (Hvarl Red-Blade): Rite of War (The Pale Hunter) 210

Speaker of the Dead: Artificer armour; Great Frost blade; Melta bombs 130

Hunters of Kattegat (10 Veteran Space Marines): Veteran Sergeant (Artificer armour; Power weapon); Warrior's Mettle; 9 Veteran Space Marines; 4 × Power weapon 220

Legion Rhino Armoured Carrier: Dozer blade; Pintle-mounted multi-melta 55

Raiders of Hedeby (10 Veteran Space Marines): Veteran Sergeant (Artificer armour; Power weapon); Machine Killers; 9 Veteran Space Marines; 5 × Combi-weapon; Power weapon 240

Kingslayers (5 Varagyr Terminators): 5 × Second Frost blade (axe, claw or sword); 4 × Power fist; Chainfist 300

5 Deathsworn: Rad grenades 290

Legion Land Raider Proteus: Hull-mounted twin-linked lascannon 210

Legion Kharybdis Assault Claw 235

Leman Russ 455

Turn one the Proteus with Deathsworn and speaker scouts forward while he kharybdis with Russ, Wolf kin, Hvarl and Varagyr drop in the face of the enemy.

Turn two Russ and the Wolf kin charge something and Hvarl and the Varagyr something else (with chainfist and armorbane they can tackle some armor too). The Deathsworn disembark and take cover behind the Proteus while the two vet squads in melta rhinos come from outflank and hurt something.

Turn three all charges and the Kharybdis takes off to tackle anti air with its ten missile shots.

I could drop the Deathsworn and Proteus for something more gamey but in this list I manage to field in 2.5k all out Legion specific units and I feel it can take care of most stuff.

If the Kharybdis is true, how would you guys feel about this Pale hunter list:

Night of the Wolf (2500)

Vlka Fenryka

The Wolf-kin of Russ 100

Bjorn Ironside (Hvarl Red-Blade): Rite of War (The Pale Hunter) 210

Speaker of the Dead: Artificer armour; Great Frost blade; Melta bombs 130

Hunters of Kattegat (10 Veteran Space Marines): Veteran Sergeant (Artificer armour; Power weapon); Warrior's Mettle; 9 Veteran Space Marines; 4 × Power weapon 220

Raiders of Hedeby (10 Veteran Space Marines): Veteran Sergeant (Artificer armour; Power weapon); Machine Killers; 9 Veteran Space Marines; 5 × Combi-weapon; Power weapon 240

Kingslayers (5 Varagyr Terminators): 5 × Second Frost blade (axe, claw or sword); 4 × Power fist; Chainfist 300

5 Deathsworn: Rad grenades 290

Legion Land Raider Proteus: Hull-mounted twin-linked lascannon 210

Legion Kharybdis Assault Claw 235

Leman Russ 455

Turn one the Proteus with Deathsworn and speaker scouts forward while he kharybdis with Russ, Wolf kin, Hvarl and Varagyr drop in the face of the enemy.

Turn two Russ and the Wolf kin charge something and Hvarl and the Varagyr something else (with chainfist and armorbane they can tackle some armor too). The Deathsworn disembark and take cover behind the Proteus while the two vet squads in melta rhinos come from outflank and hurt something.

Turn three all charges and the Kharybdis takes off to tackle anti air with its ten missile shots.

I could drop the Deathsworn and Proteus for something more gamey but in this list I manage to field in 2.5k all out Legion specific units and I feel it can take care of most stuff.

If you take Deathsworn especially with rad grenades you defintely need to maximize models they gave a 50 points starting cost for no sergeant or anything. The other issue is that 5 of them dis way to fast as they are essentially paper so you need models around to assure you actually so anything. I'd honestly save them from 3k or more when you can go 9 with the slayer. Also the proteus is awful for Deathsworn as its not an assault vehicle.

For the rest of the list you are running 0 anti air and 0 anti armour outside of the Kharybidis unit. I'd defintely try get something more on the table a single as if you deploy a singer Lange Raider and 5 guys you are a single drop pod or lucky shot away from tabled turn 1.

I honestly can't think of much as anything that's anti armour will come out if fast attack as the Kharybidis brings no firepower. But most of the things there need to be reserved and you lack board presence. There just isn't much that fits in maybe if you upped it to 3k and put a spartan and lighting in that might help.

At 3k Maybe run a priest 5 terminators in a spartan you could even put Hvarl here to give it more punch or the drop pod is fine. And then add a lighting.

That way at least you have something on the board though even a spartan can die in a turn. But you also bring some more anti tank with the lighting and quad lascannons.

I think the Kharybidis while it sounds cool doesn't really fit pale hunters simply because we need to bring fire support but the Kharybidis is expensive and offers none.

Hey hey, I was right about the Kharybdis not being classified as a drop pod.

I was correct about the 1K Sons termies having to roll their powers as well! Woohoo, 2 for 2!

Edited by sturguard

Hey hey, I was right about the Kharybdis not being classified as a drop pod.

I was correct about the 1K Sons termies having to roll their powers as well! Woohoo, 2 for 2!

I mean these are only email replies and if you read all of them some are ridiculous such as Magnus cannot be hit at all witchfire not being addressed Sekhmet gaining power fist and lighting claw for free. I really doubt any of these are useful.

I'd also take them with more salt than the dead Sea.

Edited by Purge the Daemon

I am inclined to think the drop pod ruling and and terminator ones will stick (I am not sure about the Magnus one)- to be honest, all of them are common sense to me.

Look people squak about not taking Sekhmet termies if you cant choose your powers and that Legion ones with a ML1 upgrade are better. I call BS on that. You dont take the Sekhmets to get some psychic powers, you take them as batteries for your praetor (IC) Legion termies are 200 with a ML1 upgrade, Sekhmet are 255. So what are you getting for that extra 55 pts-

1. 5 extra wounds

2. the ability to have a +1 invul save

3. +1 extra ML 

4. The ability to take a RoW which you reroll your psychic dice each turn

5. Force weapons

6. cheaper combi weapons

7 Asphyx Shells

Now are all of these things huge on their own, no, of course not, but I think they are well worth 55 pts. If you chose to take a 6th-10th terminator its a no brainer as they are the same cost as legions.

Warriors Mettle- we knew that was going to happen- you stick a character in there, you lose it. Nothing surprising

Hit and Run- again, I think we knew it was their intent NOT to give terminators Hit and Run, so they arent going to allow you to take a IC in power armor to give it to them.

Quite frankly all of them seem common sense answers to me, even the Khrarybdis. There is no drop pod in its name. All the other types/styles of drop pods say "Drop Pod" in their title.

As far as folks accepting it- well, this is the GW we live in now. Rules/Supplements are pushed out as quickly as possible, they want folks to play their own way anyhow, in my book its as good as a published FAQ. Let's face it, tournament directors are going to make their own decisions anyways.

Damn guys massive shocker from over heresy30k. A member shared fw answers to questions that are clear cut and not a 'that's how we play it' or 'roll a dice'.

http://heresy30k.invisionzone.com/index.php?/topic/9661-forgeworld-answers-via-mail-about-inferno/&do=findComment&comment=180641

- No, never a terminator can have hit and run from the Pale Hunter row, any unit with at least one model in Terminator armor of any kind loses the ability

- And wait for this.,, the Kharybdis is not classed as a drop pod so we can take it in the Pale Hunter Row. That's a shocker imo and gives significant more flexibility to the rite.

Until it's in print it's not legit, regardless of how we like or dislike it.

Until it's in print it's not legit, regardless of how we like or dislike it.

And thank goodness for that.

Has anyone come up with anything that looks good at the 3k level using one of our rights.

I've tried looking at some footslogging lists but they are defintely not usable without havrl and even then I feel they are just to squishy unless the entire board has los blocking terrain.

I've also tried looking at Varagyr lists but they don't seem to good still they feel really points heavy but then way to prone to being shot without transports but taking both means no fire power.

I've been able to work Pale hunters out at 3k but that's with imperial knight support.

I personally refuse to footslog anything and take Russ to circumvent the grey slayer tax ( as it has been interpreted by my gaming group that Russ provision trumps the legion org one. )

Two to three units of vets are surprisingly good with hit and run.

This is the list I will he taking this weekend.

Red Blade

Praven

W/ AA, Volkite Charger, GFB

4 Vorax

W/ frag grenades

Caster of Runes

Master level 2

10 grey slayers

W/ gfb and 2x combi-melta

10 grey slayer

8 vets

W/ power axe, 4x combi-plasma

Rhino

W/ multimelta

8 vets

W/ power axe, 4x combi-plasma

Rhino

W/ multimelta

Jav

W/ cml,hb

Jav

W/ cml, hb

Lightning

W/ 2x kraken rounds, ground tracking, servitor

Sicaran tank of some kind

Typhon

W/lascannons

That is 2500.

This is the list I will he taking this weekend.

Red Blade

Praven

W/ AA, Volkite Charger, GFB

4 Vorax

W/ frag grenades

Caster of Runes

Master level 2

10 grey slayers

10 grey slayer

8 vets