Vairocanum's Projects (9/28/2020 Dark Mechanicus Cultist)

Really like the blood angel man! Was dubious of the Stormcast legs at first but I think you have managed to pull it off.  

My suggestion for a new project is I would love to see you do a veteran Blackshield astartes from the HH in pariah power armour, a lone wolf astartes who refuses to stop even though his comrades are dead. Keep up the good work man, and whatever you come up with next will be great!

Thanks Kordhal! The Blackshield sounds like a fantastic idea! I couldn't find images on pariah power armor in particular so I'll just be doing a mix of power armor and try to make it look more different. Thanks for the suggestion!

The seals and tassels under the armpits need to go - they simply don't work ergonomically. I get that they're covering up gaps and imperfections with the casting and kitbashing, but you'd be much better off using putty to fill those gaps in in a manner that is more realistic (i.e., sculpting in the undersuit). Alternately, you need to replace them with stuff that flows from over the shoulder pad, such as a cape/cloak, seals, or something else.

And something is off with the positioning of the legs. When swinging a weapon from overhead, you're far more likely to see one leg leading and the other back, with the rear leg serving as leverage. The current positioning of the legs makes it look more like he's posing for a picture. Another problem is that the torso is straight and the shoulders are squared. It just doesn't look like a realistic action pose (unless he's set to execute a bound prisoner by beheading). Also, the tabard in the front and the tassels are hanging straight down while the other fabric elements in the rear are flowing to the model's left. I suppose it could be argued that the metallic fetishes hanging from the tassels are heavy enough to make them hang straight down, but it belies the sense of motion that the model should convey, especially since he's posed at the apex of a sword swing.

The Grey Knight picture you linked includes many of the elements I've suggested, though that Grey Knight is in a defensive pose rather than an offensive one (so he's leaning back rather than forward).

Thank you so much Brother Tyler for the detailed info :biggrin.:! It's this kind of constructive criticism that helps me create a better model. I've taken your suggestions and redone the model, I've also written a blurb about why the model ended up that way in the first place. 

I'm afraid I have to agree with Brother Tyler here. The placement of the purity seals looks very strange and the conflicting sense of movement/stance is quite clear.

You've selected some great bitz to use with the model, but I've found from experience that really you have to push your sculpting, especially with soft armour, to make some really dynamic poses when you are changing the stock positioning to this degree.

Thanks Capt. Jack! Hopefully my revised version will have addressed the problems in the previous version. I still can't sculpt the soft armor that cleanly so I still need to practice .

i like the idea here bro, but ti'm not  sold on the armpit purity. leave that to old spice and move those fancy markings elswhere :biggrin.:

Thanks PeaceCraft, "armpit purity" gave me a good laugh :tongue.:. They have been moved on the revised version and hopefully look better now.

Have to agree with Brother Tyler & co, the torso and head should be aligned with his foot work. Though the besagews you can easily change to look like purity seals, which would look fine, I think.

Other than that, your work is truly splendid, great eye for bits and posing, your new khorne lord being my favorite.

Cheers,

Yves

Thanks for the high praise Jüffös! Glad you like the Khorne Lord! Hopefully the revised version of the BA captain looks better now.

Some Russian sculpting place took MadScuzzy's art (that you linked to in your previous post) and made bodies/shoulder pads for Mk. 16 armor:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Set-of-5-Dornian-Heresy-Ultramarines-MK16-Damocles-pattern-power-armor-/141923378012?hash=item210b4ae35c:g:eCgAAOSwl9BWLUib

Well I completely forgot that those existed, would have been great to reference while sculpting. Thanks a lot for sharing Kurgan, I might pick up some of these later on!

I love the idea, but when I saw the execution of the idea - pun intended? - several items popped up that I wanted to address... and then I read Brother Tylers comment. He said it all. 

Love to see this idea rebooted, though, as you're more than up for it in terms of skills! :thumbsup:

Thanks Augustus! In the revised model you'll be able to see actual execution haha :wink.:.

Yes. Bits shopping is a wallet hazard. It makes me do a lot of self reflection before I check out because how did I rack up $XXX? And why are there land raiders? So I feel yeah.

I agree about the pose too for the BA. He is sweet but with some tweaking he would be phenomenal. Even more so with a victim beneath him reaching up for mercy that isn't going to come,

Thanks hushrong! I'm the same way for bits shopping except instead of land raiders its dreadnoughts for me. I took your idea for the victim underneath but changed it to feeble opposition rather than mercy. Hope it looks better now :smile.:.

So last week I definitely screwed up the truescale BA Captain so this week I decided to redo the model based on the great suggestions from everyone. I was pretty busy last week and did not really have much hobby time so I rushed this model (never a good idea), and put the model together in one day. I didn't focus much on anything other than the arms so the rest of the model was pretty sub par. Reading Brother Tyler's comment a lot of things made sense and I wondered why I posed it like that in the first place. I think I subconsciously thought of this Star Wars poster and just left it as it was.

Anyways, I've redone the model now giving it better motion and fixing the earlier problems. Since he's got his shoulder's squared I decided on making it looking more like an execution rather than mid duel cause I quite liked the original legs and didn't want to re pose them more dynamically. I didn't want to make his victim a CSM because I don't have much parts left for true scaling so I need to conserve bits and wasn't sure how to covert IG into Chaos so I ended up going for an Ork Boy. Didn't have the legs to use on him unfortunately so I had to sculpt my own (which doesn't look that great, but its just a random casualty so I'll leave it as is). I added some long flowing purity seals to add to the sense of motion and moved the tassels to the back side. It's sort of hard to tell in the picture but the head IS inclined slightly downwards but not fully. I figure since the victim is an ork boy he doesn't need to even give his full attention when killing it. As usual if you've got any suggestions on future projects you'd like to see I'd be happy to hear them, thanks for looking and C&C is appreciated!

http://i.imgur.com/QmddpAg.jpg

More Views (Lots of images):

http://i.imgur.com/qvcJryj.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/T2wz8aR.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/9TkuJu6.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/eJSFWCh.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/uJo6UXT.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/Pw0NRVY.jpg

Edited by Vairocanum

The 2.0 variant of the BA Captain looks phenomenal, and the sense of motion conveyed in the model much more natural! The addition of the orc on the base is a really nice touch!

Thanks Kordhal! I'm much happier with his motion as well, wasn't sure what victim I should put on his base but settled for an ork as it fit most cleanly on the base.

Tilt his head a little more to his right and you're golden.

Phenomenal, dude.

Cheers,

Yves

Thanks Jüffös (or would you prefer Yves)! The head wasn't really noticeable until that close up picture so I didn't notice it got tilted. Glad you liked the revised version!

Much better, such an evocative pose.

Thanks Pearson73! I'm glad you like the new pose, constructive criticism really does help create better models!

Lovely. Any given sunday....

Have you tried to turn the sword around, pointing downward? Coudl look awesome with the screaming ork.

But i have to copy it nontheless.

Thanks Mikhal glad you like the new version! I actually did think about flipping the sword, but since the victim is just an ork boy I felt there wasn't really any need to go all out to stab him as a simple decapitation would be faster. I am looking forward to seeing your version for wardens of light!

So this week I decided to follow Kordhal's suggestion and create a 30k Blackshield in pariah power armor. I actually didn't know much about 30k blackshields so pariah power armor was interesting for me. He is true-scaled because I felt he looked a bit too stubby. I tried to mix armor marks and changed from the standard shoulder pads. I left the GS work rough to  make it look more like battle damage. The GS under the shoulder pads were an attempt at chainmail, not that happy with the outcome so I'll probably re do them after I've done some more practice. This was a fun and straightforward build, if there's anything you think I should add to him feel free to throw some ideas at me. Also if you have suggestions on future projects I'd be happy to hear them, thanks for looking and C&C is appreciated!

http://i.imgur.com/HaAdvyD.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/JZS3y3G.jpg

Edited by Vairocanum

The reworked BA captain is great! You've definitely knocked it out of the park with that guy.

I am also excited about the Blackshield. They are such a unique force to make your own. Yours is coming along nicely!

Thanks hushrong! Glad you like the updated BA captain, the C&C I got from everyone really helped in getting it right the second time. Blackshields are definitely cool, but I usually prefer the Deathwatch version and this was my first 30K version so I think this guy might get a rework eventually as well.

The Blackshield from last week will likely be reworked at some point when I can come up with some more ideas on how to alter it. Not much budget for the new Dark Imperium set at the moment (I want to do some more Death Guard!!), hopefully will be able to pick it up in August. I'll probably be revisiting my old DG army and try to get them slightly more similar to the new style. Anyways for this week I built this Inquisitor after seeing some amazing inquisitors from Timotheus. I am pretty low on non astartes bits but I managed to acquire a genestealer cult torso locally. I tried to make my own gunblade type weapon for this inquisitor cause I don't like the Custodes version that much and made it so that it shoots energy based projectiles instead of standard bullets. I also armed him with a stub carbine so he can shoot bullets as well. When my budget permits I also would like to get some more bits to create another INQ28 warband led by by a Dark Mechanicus Magos. Right now I'm also dryfitting some parts to try and make a female inquisitor using the Sisters of Silence, although I might be late in updating next week cause I need to cram for some midterms. If anyone has ideas for future projects I'd be happy to hear them, thanks for looking and C&C is appreciated!.

http://i.imgur.com/t6PdXpN.jpg

More Views:

http://i.imgur.com/gAjn7aq.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/btUWVTt.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/QUfjYlp.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/2pQL1N6.jpg

Edited by Vairocanum

The Blackshield is fantastic man, loving your interpretation of pariah armour! The Inquisitor is also looking super cool, where did you get the hooded head from?

Thanks Kordhal! I wasn't sure about the pariah armor at first but it turned out ok, but I am going to re work the model at some point I think. Glad you approve of the inquisitor, the head is from the DA Deathwing Terminators sprue.

That's a good bash of kits on the inquisitor. I've got no critiques on him I just want to see him painted up.

Thanks hushrong! I it turned out decent given my limited selection of bits as well haha. And to get something painted up, one needs to own paints :whistling:. I still haven't had the chance to replace my old paints which never made it through my 4 year hiatus. I don't have a huge budget and the lure of new plastic is way too strong especially with  box sets like BoP and the new Dark Imperium. I might be able to borrow some paints from a friend some time during the summer but can't make any promises cause even when I do have paints I paint extremely slowly.

Other than angling the pistol arm out to the left ever so slightly I've got nothing i terms of C&C, that's a great inquisitor.

Thanks sock! Good point on the pistol arm, I'll see how easy it is to take off his arm first cause I actually put too much glue on that arm :wacko.:. Glad you liked the inquisitor!

This thread is officially a year old now and I can honestly say that I came back to the hobby at an awesome time. Over the past year I've gotten to catch up on a lot of Horus Heresy lore, see the return of Primarchs, and even see the start of 8th edition. But most importantly, I've gotten the chance to interact again with such an awesome online community! With heaps of inspiration throughout the whole forum, and fantastic C&C to help improve my own models, thank you B&C community for being THE BEST warhammer community online! It's been a fun year and I'm really looking forward to the next!

And since it'd be a shame to post without any extra content here is a gag model I made years ago after reading Betrayer by ADB:

http://i.imgur.com/YvJa26v.jpg

Edited by Vairocanum

Love the Inquisitor, although I would like to make two small suggestions, if I may:

One, I think he needs a smaller pistol (or maybe just getting rid of the barrel would already solve the problem). But I think something short and brutal looking would complement the blade in his right hand far better.

Two, I cannot help picturing him with a flowing cape or billowing robes trailing behind him, so that's what I would add to the model to make him look less like a grunt and more like a powerful individual and leader of men -- after all, he already has that ostentatious =][= symbol behind his head ;)

In any case, keep up the excellent work! :)

That is a very snazzy looking inquisitor!

I must ask, how many molds you use for the little details you add?

Thanks Capt. Jack! I have bought one pack of instant mold which comes with 6 sticks of plastic. They are malleable after submerging in hot water and are reusable so I can just make whatever mold I need at the time so I don't actually have an actual number of molds I have. Basically one small drawer full of those molds in a multi drawer storage cabinet. Alternatively there's a japanese product called oyumaru which is the same product basically and might be easier to get in China.

Love the Inquisitor, although I would like to make two small suggestions, if I may:

One, I think he needs a smaller pistol (or maybe just getting rid of the barrel would already solve the problem). But I think something short and brutal looking would complement the blade in his right hand far better.

Two, I cannot help picturing him with a flowing cape or billowing robes trailing behind him, so that's what I would add to the model to make him look less like a grunt and more like a powerful individual and leader of men -- after all, he already has that ostentatious =][= symbol behind his head ;)

In any case, keep up the excellent work! :)

Thanks Kraut! For the first suggestion, I realize that the big gun is cumbersome but it's just my personal preference for big guns so I think I'll leave that one as is. As for the second suggestion I agree wholeheartedly, it's just that I don't have any cape bits that I thought would work nicely or flow well so I settled with a small fur pelt that isn't as noticeable from the front. As always thanks for the suggestions!

The Inquisitor looks awesome, the "gunblade" is a great idea, though I think I would have liked more to see him wield the shield he has on his back and the stub carabiner to rest on his belt.

Thanks Traitor! Glad you see you around the forums again! I wanted to have the inquisitor in full attack mode so I went with both offensive weapons. I was thinking of strapping several guns to his back at first but settled for a shield instead after.

So this week I made this female inquisitor. I'm not really that used to making female characters so I don't think it's as good as it could be but I do need to practice more. I thought having her dual wield ranged weapons would be a nice option and I happened to have some dark elf corsair bits and this is what I ended up with. Also gave her an axe for when ammo runs out. I need to redo the "I" on her head as it's a bit off center. Any suggestions on what else to add, what to change? If anyone has ideas for future projects I'd be happy to hear them, thanks for looking and C&C is appreciated!

http://i.imgur.com/dXt5Tna.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/ChUVxkq.jpg

Edited by Vairocanum

While she does look good, you definitely need to center the "I", and I would try to add two lines in the middle, as the Inquisition usually does. Also, seeing the asimetrical look of the model, have you considered adding a cybernetic eye? (in the opposite side of the skitarii bit of the back pack) I think it could fit nicely the overall aesthetic.

She looks Cool.

Thanks DSS7! Deciding what bits to use was tricky but I'm glad it worked out!

While she does look good, you definitely need to center the "I", and I would try to add two lines in the middle, as the Inquisition usually does. Also, seeing the asimetrical look of the model, have you considered adding a cybernetic eye? (in the opposite side of the skitarii bit of the back pack) I think it could fit nicely the overall aesthetic.

Thanks Traitor! I'll try to add the two extra lines as well (I'm bad at scoring in detail). Also the cybernetic eye is a great idea, I'll try some different types and add it to her.

Very nice! I already liked the first inquisitor and his lady friend looks even better. Maybe a minor quibble, but isn't her pistol (the one in her left hand) too long? It's almost as if she's carrying a shotgun one-handed...then again, that is pretty cool.

Thanks Isengrin, I took the bit straight from the empire pistoliers and they all have them holding in one hand so I hope its ok haha. Also yes, holding a shotgun one handed is certainly cool :yes:.

Damn. That girl inq is really cool. Bloodborne flair!!!

Thanks Mikhal! That's actually a great observation as I did reference some Bloodborne images, well spotted!

The inquisitors are looking great, the archaic weapons and greenstuff detailing really completes them.

Thanks Pearson73! Glad you liked the model, not quite used to building female models so glad it turned out ok!

I think she looks a bit more like a Rogue Trader than an Inquisitor at the moment (a good example of one, don't get me wrong). Do you have any inquisitorial symbols you could use as badges of office?

Thanks sock! You're right about needing more inquisitorial symbols, I'll definitely try and add some.

So it was Canada Day yesterday (150th Birthday), I'm still slightly hungover but had a great time. In lieu of Canada Day I have created a 40k Mountie! The traditional outfit of RCMP (Royal Canadian Mounted Police) looks like this, and my model was an approximation of the actual uniform. I thought about putting him on a horse, but didn't have any that fit him size wise. I'm fairly satisfied with how he turned out, although I think his hat could have been done better. Thanks for looking, and C&C is appreciated!

Important Edit: Feth you photobucket :furious:

http://i.imgur.com/ej9MiAF.jpg

More Views:

http://i.imgur.com/viX9vij.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/FJmn4ld.jpg

Edited by Vairocanum