Deployment of the Spectral Sicarii (homebrew RG)

thewarriorhunter

Started on my captain tonight. This is the first model I've painted that comes in so many pieces... not sure what I'm going to do when I start my knight army...

I'm added some brass etch to my captain to help him stand out from the rest of the Calth models:

Hidden Content
yfLWqxk.jpg

And here's the fruits of my first session. Base coat is done and the first wash is applied to bring the grey down to a black. I also got the first layer of the blue/grey color I use to base the white.

Hidden Content
QWF6Cqk.jpg

More work done tonight. It's amazing how much more relaxing painting one cataphractii model is as opposed to five in a batch...

Back of the torso is done:

Hidden Content
uCUeJHn.jpg

And I got a little excited tonight... I was looking at the weapons I previously painted to match scheme and then I remember this is a captain! He needs bling! So now I'm painting a bright combi weapon for him. Going to keep the receiver gold with the barrel being steel. I was thinking of adding another color but I think it would clash with the rest of the weapon/model. I think keeping the color on the cape will be good enough.

Hidden Content
PFOXhJh.jpg

So I'm nitpicking lore here... but the rule book picture is a little annoying since the skin tone is wrong... unless Primaris RG are no longer subject to the gene seed mutations that affect skin color?

Hidden Content

KillTeamLaunch-July5-CoreBook9ec.jpg

I think the Primaris geneseed stock does not have the know defects or Cawl reversed them

Shouldnt his hair be black too?

I think it is black, but it's shaved so his skin is showing through. I use clippers and buzz my hair to the scalp roughly once a week, after a couple days my head looks like his.

Got some painting done tonight. Doing the gold trim and some other small details that I won't be able to get too when my captain is assembled. His gun is done for now but it does need some edge highlighting. I want to get him assembled and ready and if I have time I'll do the edge highlighting before the event, otherwise I can come back and do it. I did get the muzzle burn on his combi-melta done since that would have run the risk of bleeding over to the bolter portion of his gun.

Hidden Content
Nqe1CQr.jpg

Hidden Content
SWByEc6.jpg

All of the gold trim is going to need at least one more coat. Then I'll probably get the leather done, then the studs everywhere, and lastly will be the cape. I need to start working on his base as well. Not sure what I will do but I want some dead Aeldari under him so I'll have to look and see what bits I have for that.

I found a really cool mini-photo studio on Thingiverse and decided to print it out. I had to make a few changes so it would fit on my 3D printer and with the first run I'm happy with it. I am going to make a different platform so the minis sit a bit lower and the camera is angled 'down' slightly.

Here's the setup. I am going to add a few more sheets of paper (the stands are what is printing in the background) and a couple more lights to help with shadows but this is functional:

Hidden Content
jwUCPXF.jpg

And what it produced. My Cataphractii Sgt:

Hidden Content
RA9M6ar.jpg

Hidden Content
lSvTgsn.jpg

Hidden Content
R2rg99a.jpg

Very nice my man. Inspiration to up my game when I start taking real photos. I was skeptical the flashlights would give the right light but that’s excellent work.

Very nice my man. Inspiration to up my game when I start taking real photos. I was skeptical the flashlights would give the right light but that’s excellent work.

I do have LED light not pictured, it's my painting lamp and it is the main source. The two LED flashlights are to help with eliminating shadows. I think adding a couple more to bounce light off the back will help.

Huh, that a pretty neat gizmo there.

I wonder if my local library could make that ...

If they have a 3D printer I'm sure they could. I've decided to ditch the turntable as it's not as smooth working as I'd like. I'm going to be printing a smaller stand that will allow me to adjust the height of the model to better fit the picture. Here's a link to the files if you do want to see what your library could do: https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:1085472

A minor deviation from my RG but is power armor related. My wife played Betrayal at Calth with me over the weekend and said she enjoyed it. While playing I was cringing every time we rolled dice on my table. I also didn't like that all of the components were in sandwich bags and bouncing around inside the box.

I decided to make a storage compartment/dice tray for the game and here's the design I put together in Tinkercad:

Hidden Content
CJm5DBD.jpg

The base (red) is on my printer right now, should be done tonight and then I'll print the lid (cream). There is an UM logo on the backside of the base. I thought it was a nice touch to put the faction symbols on it. When it's done printing I'll clean it up, sand it down a little, and then probably give it a quick and dirty paint job. There are holes on the top and bottom where I'll put 3mm magnets to keep it closed. The cards and dice will all sit in there and the cardboard chits will rest on top of those.

The symbols are arranged so that I know which way the lid fits. The box is 4mm longer in one direction, the eagle wings will always line up to the two sides that don't have chapter symbols. I plan on getting a bit of neoprene mat and lining the bottom of the base so it will serve as a dice tray when playing. I have a lot of printed terrain I put on the board to make it look more immersive so rolling on the board is usually not an option, and rolling on my table is loud and bouncy.

Sat down for a quick session with my captain last night. I got the final base coat on his cape done so now I can start shading and highlighting. I've watched several videos on cloth and am going to try to 'feather' the layers up. I've never really tried that technique so it will be something new for me to learn and give a go at. I also started on his base since my method requires a lot of steps with drying time in between them.

Basic mock up of the base. I want to try a new technique with my water effects. I watched a lot of really cool terrain videos put out by railroad guys last night. (If you want to be amazed go check out railroad hobbyists, they've been doing this way longer than wargamers.) My plan is to have water flowing down the base and be on two levels. It'll be a little cramped but I think I can pull it off. I built it up a bit to get the tiered levels and I want him to stand taller than my other cataphractii:

Hidden Content
pxJCUKq.jpg

Hidden Content
V4vnVsM.jpg

Hidden Content
dS69VME.jpg

And my favorite part because people think it's weird but it gives such amazing texure, the TP applied with watered down PVA:

Hidden Content
gYr656b.jpg

And I guess I am a scale modeler at heart. No one will ever see the inside of the torso because the helmet will block this but I painted it anyways:

Hidden Content
TWJWd7K.jpg

And here's the current state of my captain. There are a few parts of the gold that still need silver highlighting but then the armor will be done. I still need to do the leather but I am waiting to finish the cape first since there are leather tassels on the cape:

Hidden Content
GFs63y4.jpg

I think I've shared it before but here's an album to how I do my bases. You'll see the captain's start to come alive as I get further in the process. The texture of the TP lends itself really well to dry brushing and brings it to life so well.

https://imgur.com/a/bBvDn

Painted the cloak last night and I am happy with how it turned out. I've never done cloth before so it was a little scary trying something new. Overall I'm happy with it. I base layered Vallejo Black Red until I had a nice smooth finish, then washed with Nuln Oil (slightly watered down so I could move it around), then I slowly mixed in Vallejo Red to Black Red and built up the layers. This was a bunch of thin layers where I would mix in a little more red to the black red to bring it up. The final coat had a bit of Vallejo Carmin Red mixed in to give a final lighter layer and edge highlight.

The picture doesn't show the variance as much as I'd like but the idea comes across.

Hidden Content
YSiNvoW.jpg

Question: should I add some brighter red layers and maybe some muted orange highlights? I like where it's at and don't want to overdo it, but I'm not sure if it would benefit from a slightly brighter layer or two.

When he's done and assembled and I use my little photo plinth I'll ask again, hoping that the colors will show better there.

SIDE NOTE: At what post count do have to stop waiting in between posts? If I post somewhere and then come here to post I have to wait ~30 seconds before I can post again.

Leave it. especially since you like wher it is at.

SIDE NOTE: At what post count do have to stop waiting in between posts? If I post somewhere and then come here to post I have to wait ~30 seconds before I can post again.

I don't think it every goes away. I know other forums I am on it goes away as a supporting member, but those sites have other perks attached with being a supporting member and cost WAY MORE THAN they should.

Leave it. especially since you like wher it is at.

I don't think it every goes away. I know other forums I am on it goes away as a supporting member, but those sites have other perks attached with being a supporting member and cost WAY MORE THAN they should.

I *believe* B&C does not have such limits, per se. I don't think anyone can quickly post again as for of spam control.