Deployment of the Spectral Sicarii (homebrew RG)

thewarriorhunter

Nice app! Mine is somewhat limited so I dont use it as much as Id like. Although it looks like yours is desktop only?

Id go Hellblasters, assault marines or cataphracti!

Edited by duz_

You can use it on mobile, it a website - not an app. There might be an app but I've never looked. I use desktop because my PC is right there and I can look at it at work when I'm not working...

Hellblasters - I've thought of that. Get some plasma love in there.

Assault marines - maybe. I have a squad of 5. The ones in question were an ebay lot that are going to need a lot of work for cleanup but being able to beef my 5 man squad up to 10 might be nice.

Cataphractii.... no. :) I have one unit done and it killed me painting them. Those last 5 need a lot of work for custom pads and I don't have the patience for that right now. If I'm going to paint up an elite unit the next one will be my VV. That would require a lot of of magnetizing because I'll have to do that for weapon options because I hate myself... the + of getting them ready is I could run them as assault if I wanted... that might be an option...

Welp... looks like my questions was answered for me, and it's not 40k.

A guy I've been talking to and getting to know went all in on the Kingdom Death 1.5 Kickstarter. Long story short is I'll be assembling and magnetizing the minis for him. In exchange I get to know him better, most likely call him a friend/gaming buddy, and he's going to throw some 40k stuff my way. It's a nice break from Power Armor and the game itself looks and sounds amazing. I'm going to work on the Prologue figures and hopefully have them done in a week or two so we can play.

I'll post these pics and nothing more since it's not 40k but I'm excited about this and wanted to share:

ygUnOqE.jpg

lN6t984.jpg

Race - I'm sure you'll see this since you comment: Can I post work on these minis in the context of tutorial/product recommendation? (it will be light/sparse) The figures have some gaps and other issues that will need work. I've got some things I want to try to make these look better once painted. Am I allowed to post that since it's applicable to 40k, although it won't be done on a 40k model?

Made some progress yesterday, some for me, some for my kids.

My buddy gave me a huge bag of old, beat up minis he no longer wanted. The idea was me to pick through and take what I wanted and give the rest to my kids to paint since they like to do that. I also had the lot of Aeldari bikes and skimmers that needed paint stripped since I'll be using them for bases. Here's the pile after sitting sim Purple Power for two weeks and getting scrubbed off in my sink:

OUs7VVg.jpg

And here it is after I organized it all. One extra skimmer because it wasn't painted so it didn't need to soak:

6XvpXak.jpg

ueGuJLy.jpg

mRkiy1q.jpg

From all of that I pulled the metal figures for me (separate post about those because I have some questions) and 5 of the best figures. I'll probably cut them apart because I want the legs. Torsos are gunked up or have no backpacks. I have plenty of those but I need legs to make more models.

I put together 14 guys for the kids so they're happy. With the load outs of power axes and dual pistols I guess they're a VV squad and then 4 models for a tac squad:

Lq2y0vC.jpg

e0pTLqD.jpg

Gave them a light layer of primer and they're ready to be painted up!

OK, metal model question: What do I have here?

YXmSAEb.jpg

Specifically, is this a chaplain?

VLsEhvY.jpg

I'm thinking of building a couple of these up into sgts or Lts since they have a little more decoration than some of my models, and it'd be a nice throwback since they're so old (1994 on one of them). I'm really interested in what I think is a chaplain because I've wanted a model for that but haven't ran across one yet. I'm thinking of magnetizing the backpack so he can be on foot or a jump pack, and I'll have to make a crozius for him.

Top left: Vet Sarge. Used to have a power axe in the right hand and the left was plastic.

Top right: Assault Squad Vet Sarge. Power fist left hand, plastic right.

Bottom left: Blood Angel Death Company chaplain. Bolter/Crozius. Ironically the model that represents the artwork from the old angels of death book(seen here: https://tinyurl.com/ybo9zyau)

Bottom right: Biker torso with plasmagun.

And now for the fun part, I own every single one of these, which dates how long I've been playing ;)

Edit: in the top photo the rest are all death company pewter with the blood drops filed off.

Edited by ltvyper

Thanks for the info, guys! I didn't see all the BA iconography before because I wasn't looking that close (so many models, rushed). The biker guys make sense.

I might still see if I can turn the chaplain into a RG chaplain. Remove the BA logos and add some wings and a jump pack... I've got time to think about it. Still not sure what unit I want to work on next.

I'm actually leaning towards 5 bolgun tac marines so I can fill those out a little more...

Vyper = old :lol:

Btw, the two half-dudes in the middle bottom row are from the bike squad set released during 2nd edition.

You and me both buddy ;)

Started playing this game when I was 15 using cutouts from the Citadel color catalog taped to washers. Many many moons ago (Back then the entire necron army was 5 units)

The more you order the cheaper they are die. I wonder if Chessex would do a huge order and then ship to each person? That would make it easier but still keep the cost per die down. If I recall shipping was a flat fee around $10.

How about regional hub members?

For example, I could take a bulk delivery for the UK/Europe based members, and we arrange shipping via that members funds.

I often decide things like this aren't worthwhile, mainly due to shipping costs from the USA to UK.

Therefore, if we regionalise it, it might help people?

Edited by Damo1701

I had some custom Raptors dice made an age ago and can support the positive experience and communication.

Frankly, I am thinking to go back for RG dice.

Or ... We make it a forum thing. If BT can do it, so can we right?

lets do this! and the Raptor dice were nice....I would love more 

The more you order the cheaper they are die. I wonder if Chessex would do a huge order and then ship to each person? That would make it easier but still keep the cost per die down. If I recall shipping was a flat fee around $10.

I doubt they will. I was able to get on an order from a FB group for Sororitas dice

I had some custom Raptors dice made an age ago and can support the positive experience and communication.

Frankly, I am thinking to go back for RG dice.

Or ... We make it a forum thing. If BT can do it, so can we right?

RB did you just volunteer? :biggrin.:

RB does not vounteer  he orders the peasants to do his bidding

I volunteered you, man ...

All in favor?

Board: "Aye."

The motion is carried.

Thanks duz_ :thumbsup:

:tongue.:

see

How about regional hub members?

For example, I could take a bulk delivery for the UK/Europe based members, and we arrange shipping via that members funds.

I often decide things like this aren't worthwhile, mainly due to shipping costs from the USA to UK.

Therefore, if we regionalise it, it might help people?

maybe we should do and interest thread

Dug through my bitz and primed stuff tonight and figured out what I want to paint next. I thought it was going to be five boltgun marines but after looking at what I have painted I had a few more than I thought. Ended up going with the following:

OWit16g.jpg

Left to right:

• One bolt gun marine so some of my original idea is there
  • Special weapon marine. I only have one so this will allow me to put a second one into a squad. The guns will be magnetized so I can switch out for whatever list I build.
  • Missile Launcher will allow me to fill out my 48" devastator squad (2 ML, 2 LC) with painted models
  • Heavy Bolter will allow me to fill out my 36" devastator squad (2 HB, 2PC) with painted models
  • Sgt because I only have two right now and one is for my assault squad. I don't have any combi weapons painted up so I'll do one of each and magnetize them.

Some of the weapons I most likely won't ever field in 40k. I bought B@C to get started in the hobby and the game is quite enjoyable. Painting up all of the weapon options will allow them to be used in that game. Flamers don't really fit my theme in 40k but in B@C they can be pretty destructive. I enjoy the game so much I really want to buy a second game just to be able to paint up the armies in Ultramarines and Word Bearers to play it as boxed.

I quickly cleaned up the 3D printed terrain I purchased a few months ago. I have a friend coming over tomorrow night to play B@C and the terrain fits the board pretty well. The 'defense line' is scaled a little large but it works. It's amazing how much the board is transformed by having the terrain to represent the block and cluttered hexes. I do think I need some more pieces to really fill it in, and I'd like some other varieties to mimic the differences in the board areas. I may try my hand and carving up some foam for the cave-like structures pictured on the board.

I'm hoping he enjoys the game, he said he played 40k a long time ago with other friends. I thought this would be a 'light' version of the game that we could both enjoy.

7Iyq4tS.jpg

B@C last night was awesome! You've all heard of the legen of Horus' Heresy, yes? Well a lesser known story is that while the majority of the Raven Guard remained loyal to Emperor of Mankind there were still elements that believed Horus held the True Path. Most of these elements were destroyed during the assault on Gate 42 but not all. Last night's action was a retelling of the traitorous elements from within the 3rd company of the Raven Guard.

Jy2OXCx.jpg

X4OOphh.jpg

qxD6xPf.jpg

1dukKYS.jpg

Overall the game was awesome. My friend had a great time. It's the first time I've played a 'full' game in that all the elements were used (critical hits, cards, etc) since my previous games were against my son and all of that would have been a bit much for him.

The game started off with my traitor element swiftly cutting off the center of the cavern and taking a dominant position. With the help of the Chaos Gods my sgt cut down the loyalist heavy boltgun and meltagun in one swift attack. His sgt was bogged down in hand to hand combat among the rubble strewn cavern. By turn 3 I had a unit behind the safety of the blast doors while my sgt coordinated a final stand to inflict additional casualties.

The loyalist sgt and his unit eventually made it to my sgt and a brutal melee ensued. All men around them fell to pistol and blade as the sgts fought on, neither able to deal a death blow. Finally in turn 5 the traitor called upon the dark gods once more and slid a tainted blade (card ability) from his boot and found a weak spot in the loyalist sgt's armor. Before the blade could do its work the sgt called upon his final reserves and tactical training as an Ultramarine (card ability) and let out a bellow followed by a flurry of attacks that mortally wounded the traitor. Both fell where they stood as their men continued to struggle and rush to safety.

Turn 6 two ultramarines rushed the lone traitor missile launcher and slew him in hand to hand and then ran to safety as the last blast door closed behind them. Game ended in a tie with two models from each army in safety behind the blast doors.

Overall this was a FANTASTIC game. I had more fun playing this than any other game. It was a nail biter to the end and my opponent was a joy to play against.

This has me seriously contemplating getting out of 40k... I know... I thought the same thing...

40k is great, but it is a huge time suck between modeling/painting/playing. I love the idea of being able to pull a box off the shelf and everything I need is right there. There are a ton of games like B@C, Prospero, or Shadespire that will still give me hobby opportunities while shrinking just about everything else required to play. I'm not sure yet what I'll do but I am strongly considering selling off my 40k and focusing more on smaller scale tabletop games like the GW boxed games, Frostgrave, or some Kickstarter games that have caught my eye...

• 4 weeks later...

Well, it's been a nice break but I'm back. Taking a month off of anything really hobby related has been great for me. I did sell off a few things that I don't think I'll be doing anytime soon. In the mean time I managed to get a great deal on the characters from the Calth box. Since I was able to do that the two I had originally that I had started converting will be finished up for my RG army to provide a few more HQs. I also got a sweet deal on two squads of Mark IV marines just yesterday. With those I'll be able to complete the Calth box with WB vs. Ultramarines paint schemes. The extra minis will eventually be added in as RG when I slowly add to that.

I've also had a thought that maybe my RG will be an infantry only force for the time being. It would fit the lore of the detachment, especially since it's in the early stages of the mission. The reasons for this are somewhat financial... because I really want an airbrush before I start painting large flat panels like tanks and such. I have enough stuff that I could build out a 1k point infantry only list. Since I want to play for fun I wouldn't really care about optimization. I'm not going to be rushing to finish the army anytime soon as I want to start painting up Calth but I'll still be around.

• 3 weeks later...

Well, I'm still around but am dipping my toes in the pool of Chaos. Thought I'd share since I know I used to post a lot and have been quiet as of late.

Did up my first Word Bearer and this is all you'll see of this heresy here:

cKoKpPe.jpg

FHFbxJp.jpg

I'm really excited about what this year is already shaping up to be. A group of guys and myself are starting up a Mordheim campaign and I just ordered my minis for that. Getting to work on and paint such a diverse range of minis is really exciting. Once I get my warband and Calth painted up I plan on finishing my termy captain and chaplain that I started converting.

I also got in on the Badger birthday sale so it looks like an airbrush setup will be coming my way really soon!