[DW] Blackthorn and Swordhand: OOC Thread

Commissar Molotov

I've noticed that too with the general Astartes advance table - there does seem to be some needless (and senseless) duplication.

Mazer - what is the point of making Cadence your signature wargear? Surely the Heavy Bolter is part of a Devastator's standard equipment anyway? I'm all for fluff, but it seems like you're hampering yourself unnecessarily. 

Trust me I had a looooong think about it and the reason is partly identified by Steel, below. Don't fret GM, method in the madness :smile.:

By taking it as signature wargear, he might have enough to up the 'quality' of his heavy bolter, I don't think it's enough to get it to master crafted (+10 to hit for weapons) though...

Correct(ish).  At this level it does nothing, but at Signature Wargear (Master) at Rank 2 I can apply a trait to it, Core, p126 and upgrade it into Exceptional Quality which makes it Reliable and adds +1 to damage if I have Respected Renown, for a total of 30 Requisition of the 40 Req limit. 

The problem with it is that Signature Wargear must always be "same item" to take advantage of the bonus traits so it's choose Heavy Bolter and make it awesome, or don't and diversify.  It's good fluff wise - Cadence is supposed to be well made after all! It's not too gamey.

Master Crafted increases the damage to +2 and the weapon never jams or overheats.

I would always get the +10 BS if I chose to apply it just for the Rank 2 Advance.  Just having Cadence in the Squad can give +1 Cohesion!  To be fair I was tempted to take Trade (Armourer) so I could fix her as well, or even ask Mol (nicely!) for an Elite Advance like Technical Knock, but this route is much better and cheaper overall.

Besides, the Heavy Bolter is one of the best ranged weapons in the game - it's disgusting. :happy.:

MR.

EDIT: Other considerations that played a part in it - my Squad mode gives me Bolter Drill, so +1 to RoF but only Bolt weapons.  What's a Marine to do?

Edited by Mazer Rackham

Pitching this in :

First, please note that the first Tech Use above is Tech Use + 10 ...since the Techmarine gets it for free at start and it's from the IH advance table.

New XP could be:

Toughness (simple ) 200 XP, taking it to 53

WS (simple) 500 XP , taking it to 51

Tech Use +20 500 Xp

300 to go.... maybe raising Int (simple) to 46 (200XP)?

Of course there hasn't been much actual Tech Use ... maybe use the 500 Xp to get another level of the Flesh is weak (IH advances)?

Thoughts?

I am conscious that there needs to be more circumstances in which skills come into play and I will be trying to do thatm some of it, I think, needs to come from players asking to use the skills. Still, it is a point well taken.

Mazer - see above for the spoiler tags.

To be fair, I'm planning something similar for Tyber, it's going to involve his arming sword... Provided CM would allow it of course. The plan is to take it from where it is now and slowly apply master crafting to it as well as a power field down the road.... The power field is something that as I got Tyber close to Respected, I was going go have him ask Sabaan if he could apply or show Tyber how to apply (and walk him through the steps) a power field generator to it.

I'll get there, just a few skills and talents I needed to buy first.

Edit:

Oh nifty, I hadn't read that little side bar before in page 147 of the core book, that's pretty slick that Melee weapons gain an +5 / +10 to WS on top of the damage modification from craftsmanship.

Edited by Steel Company

I am conscious that there needs to be more circumstances in which skills come into play and I will be trying to do thatm some of it, I think, needs to come from players asking to use the skills. Still, it is a point well taken.

Mazer - see above for the spoiler tags.

Mol:

Looks good GM :thumbsup:

I plan on using my new found tactics once the assault is planned.

MR.

Edited by Mazer Rackham

I am conscious that there needs to be more circumstances in which skills come into play and I will be trying to do thatm some of it, I think, needs to come from players asking to use the skills. Still, it is a point well taken. .

No complaints here....just looking at what seems reasonsble. Security is surely helpful, but apart from the training gug on the Voice of Thunder I see little justification. ..... I could make a pitch for Pilot, though. ;) But It's pretty expensive for a somewhat occasional skill.

Gaining Hatred ( Tyranids) would be possible ( from the IH advance) ..... seems a bit cheesy, though...

A good moment for tactics - Recon and Stealth? :p

IIRC, if you take them again, you get to level that skill up (i.e. get a +10 or +20 bonus to the roll).

The +10 and +20 are separate advances. Author was probably just playing it safe as a lot of DH stuff had to have starting skills errata-ed for the characters where they were optional or traded out by kits.

Solastion will spend the 1500xp he just got as follows:

Intermediate Intelligence Advance (500) going from 45 ->50

Simple and Intermediate Perception Advance (200 & 500) going from 40 -> 45 -> 50

Command (300 - Sanguinary Priest Advances)

I am conscious that there needs to be more circumstances in which skills come into play and I will be trying to do thatm some of it, I think, needs to come from players asking to use the skills. Still, it is a point well taken. .

No complaints here....just looking at what seems reasonsble. Security is surely helpful, but apart from the training gug on the Voice of Thunder I see little justification. ..... I could make a pitch for Pilot, though. :wink: But It's pretty expensive for a somewhat occasional skill.

Gaining Hatred ( Tyranids) would be possible ( from the IH advance) ..... seems a bit cheesy, though...

I dunno Xin, Security sounds plausible, upon which you will get +10 due to your exceptional bionics...Hatred though - doesn't your Solo Mode give you Hatred (Choose) against an enemy of the moment?

Speaking of which - doesn't our Oath actually confer re-rolls or +10 to willpower tests?  I done forgetted..? :(

A good moment for tactics - Recon and Stealth? :tongue.:

IIRC, if you take them again, you get to level that skill up (i.e. get a +10 or +20 bonus to the roll).

The +10 and +20 are separate advances. Author was probably just playing it safe as a lot of DH stuff had to have starting skills errata-ed for the characters where they were optional or traded out by kits.

I like the idea of our Sneakybois getting a chance to Sneaky-beaky, so yes, ideal opportunity :)

Whilst you're bob-on about the duplicates, I think what Dos is on about was unofficial clarification that if your starting kit had the skill and say, a purchase gave you the skill, like a Chapter Demeanour, (so twice), you got +10, but like you say, it's all down to the shoddy copypasta jobs that litter this book series that need errata'd. *Tuts*

MR.

Whilst you're bob-on about the duplicates, I think what Dos is on about was unofficial clarification that if your starting kit had the skill and say, a purchase gave you the skill, like a Chapter Demeanour, (so twice), you got +10, but like you say, it's all down to the shoddy copypasta jobs that litter this book series that need errata'd. *Tuts*

Similar to the [talented] trait.

Raven Guard is the sneaky chapter though. The best Atratus can get is +0 to his stealth (or +10 with talented), where Raven Guard would sit at +50 with free rerolls. Raptors chapter bonuses are all in the scope.

Enjoying putting my character together – stats and basic characteristics all sorted now; the main missing area is spending my starting experience. Any general advice on that?

On an unrelated note, has anyone made models of their characters?

Apologist: Keen to reply to you but unfortunately I can't reply to PMs on my work computer (it refuses to work) so I am unlikely to be able to fully reply until some time on Sunday. Please see below for spoiler:

You will start with 5000xp (your initial 1000 and then 4000 additional to take you one point into Rank 2)

- You will spend 300xp on the Gene-seed Deed that we discussed. That will give you +3 to one stat and -3 to another stat, and you will gain Medicae (+10) on top of the Medicae that you get as part of the Apothecary speciality.

I would recommend you check the "Protector of the Chapter" deed on P. 18 of Index Xenomortis, which ordinarily you wouldn't be able to take, but which I think works with what you mentioned about Clavigers and gene-seed. That would take 400xp.

You may purchase anything from the following places:

- Apothecary Characteristic Advances on P.69 of the DW Rulebook;

- Rank 1 Deathwatch Apothecary advances on P.69 of the DW Rulebook or P.23 of Index Xenomortis;

- General and Deathwatch Advances on P.20 of Index Xenomortis;

- From your Chapter advance table. This could be the Codex Chapter advances on P.21 of Index Xenomortis, if you think your Chapter is broadly Codex-adherent. Alternatively, there are Custom Chapter Advance Tables on P.40 of Rites of Battle. These allow you to skew your Chapter.

There are:

--- Strength of Arms

--- Death from Afar

--- Knowledge is Power

--- Command without Doubt

--- Behold our Wrath

--- Secret Lore

--- No Respite to the Enemy

--- Honoured Wargear

--- Daemon Bane

--- Xenos Bane

Of those, 'Knowledge is Power' focuses mainly on Forbidden and Scholastic Lore, and 'Secret Lore' seems to be more about Psykers and the Warp.

Also, you may pick off the Past Experiences if you want (or re-roll a couple of times and choose. A Tank-Gunning Apothecary sounds odd!)

Also, all - I do intend at a little later stage to offer Experience Points to any player who creates a model of their character, so keep that in mind!

Edited by Commissar Molotov

I'm planning on doing all the PC characters at some point, aye.

Me too or the closest I can get to creating them for Killteam :biggrin.:

@Mol: are there any homebrew rules for a Fragcannon? If so I would be very interested if I could have one of them instead of missile launcher :wub:

Edited by Reyner

Ah, thanks Mol. If it's more convenient to discuss another way (email, FB), that's fine with me. Thanks for the summary; I'll see what I can dig up. I think the main issue for me is not having the Deathwatch rulebook itself.

Here's my current thinking, for reference:

Skills and talents:

Hardy (-500 XP);

Awareness +20 (-1000 XP); 

Survival (-200XP); 

Protector of the Chapter (-400 XP); 

Gene Seed Anomaly (-300 XP) -T +Int; 

Bolter Drill (-1000 XP); 

That leaves me with 1600XP to spend; which I'd hope to spend on:

Sufficient fellowship increases to allow: Good Reputation (Deathwatch) (-800XP) – as per the Gatebreakers' background

The rules for stat increases aren't in the Index Xenomortis yet; but I vaguely recall the first advancement gave +5% for 200XP; and then it costs 500XP for the next +5% to the same stat. Is that correct?

Regarding the Chapter Trappings, I think the Claviger would be a good one. It's a ceremonial mace. While it could be used in combat, it's really more of a short stick that represents the Chapter's trust in the individual.

And as to Past History, how about:

Service in the Fleet? Fits better with the nature of the Chapter; particularly so for an Apothecary.
Edited by Apologist

I'm planning on doing all the PC characters at some point, aye.
Me too or the closest I can get to creating them for Killteam :biggrin.:

@Mol: are there any homebrew rules for a Fragcannon? If so I would be very interested if I could have one of them instead of missile launcher :wub:

We had an NPC with one, Thorvald... poor Thorvald, such an ignoble way to go...

Edit:

After much digging through posts, I found it (by going to Thorvald's character sheet)

Astartes Frag Cannon (man Portable)

Class: Heavy

Damage: 3d10+5

Type: Rending

Pen: 4

Range: 20m

RoF: S/2/-

Clip: 40

Special Qualities:  Blast (3), Razor Sharp, Scatter

Edited by Steel Company

I'd like too, just waiting on the placeholder by CM to be replaced so that I can craft what Tyber is going to be up to... More or less I'd like to know if Tyber needs to inform the Guard Captain of the need for twelve guardsmen (3 of them need to be able to operate 2-12) as well as letting our Interrogator know he is going for a ride he will not soon forget.

So, being back at home finally (yay!) and having had the time to actually read up in the sill set and descriptions, I think I am going with

Toughness simple advance, 200 XP, taking it to 53

WS simple 500 XP , taking it to 51

Int (simple) to 46 (200XP)

Security (400 Xp

Going by the description in the core book, this also conveys the Abiliry to seize up weak points of structures and coming up with a plan to counter them -it's called "Strategic Entry" in the book. It's fluffwise consistent with both the IH Calculus obsession and Sabaan's background in "Fleet Service" as it's probably an ability that comes in handy in breaching and boarding operations.

Like the Autosanguine, I'd argue that is not a "new" skill but something that just did not came up along the way.

That is 1300 Pts, leaving 300 Pts.... EDIT Awareness is 300 Pts. That would be worthwhile, I guess

Tacticswise.. have the Armoured Fist and diversion as well as Mole Squad ready, send scouts in first?

Edited by Xin Ceithan

I will recommend that Blackthorn, Cpt Haltreme and Ryken convene a war council in a safe muster area away from the slaughterhouse.  I will attempt to use my charm, tactics and a combat knife on fingers if that fails to suggest as follows.

We bomb the *&^% out the area around the place with the medusae as Blackthorn moves up to infiltrate at a safe rendezvous.  When the shelling stops, the PDF and I will launch a probing attack.  We will feign retreat and try to draw them out into a carefully prepared killing field.  Blackthorn goes in.  From probing and fighting we identify a gap in the defences.  We launch Operation: Boot to Face, into the gap and as Tyber starts punching, we advance to support him.

Once a breach has been established Tyber and I will relay onto Blackthorn's position to support.

All the while, Blackthorn will be making entry into the enemy stronghold.  We order the militia to give is 12-14 turns of combat and withdraw and drop the medusae on EVERYTHING.

We leave by the back door, thereby not risking any casualties from friendly fire and allowing us to redeploy to support the PDF.

Thoughts?

MR.