Codex Next Week

lonewolf81

Just curious, if we got what BA And DA got (Primaris plus upgrade sprues) + a couple Primaris characters (like a Primaris Wolf Lord and a Priest of some sort), would you would be okay with that?

I know some people expect Leman Russ himself, but I'm feeling cynical and setting my expectations lower.

I personally think what we get as far as models should be close to the BA and DA ranges, maybe Russ, and likely some added weapons to our kits. I expect Helfrost of some sort; I would like Grav, but it's not the near-game-breaking undercosted superweapon of one-shot any and all TDA and equivalents it once was.

I also like the idea that all Space Marines, Loyal and Chaos, all need playable and reliable Marine Tactical equivalents to get more out of the game. Unit sizes are too swingy these days; if a five man unit better survives getting shot up on the whole than a ten man unit, that is a basic rules mistake that needs to be revisited.

As far as personal taste, I would love to see some of my ideas at least considered; I maintain no illusions that most of my ideas are not likely playable in a fair environment. Then again, I am possibly overcorrecting for internal confirmation bias. I do greatly respect the need of GW to make sure Space Marines, Loyal and Chaos, are not too good. There is however, the decided possibility that in this drive to keep C/SM from being too good, both army ranges are not good enough, at may stay that way for some time.

Just curious, if we got what BA And DA got (Primaris plus upgrade sprues) + a couple Primaris characters (like a Primaris Wolf Lord and a Priest of some sort), would you would be okay with that?

I know some people expect Leman Russ himself, but I'm feeling cynical and setting my expectations lower.

This is what I have grown to expect. I have tempered my expectations in the last few months. Anything more than what you suggest would make me very happy.

I just want a decent faction that I can use any of the range. We usually have a good codex. But the problem is power armor codexes have not been good this edition. It is the edition of the horde. We do have fenrisian wolves to fill that void if we want to go mono codex.

I guess I'd be okay with it since i wouldn't really have a choice. I will say I'd be much more likely to just download a PDF of the codex if it that happens. Whereas I'll gladly buy it if it looks like some effort has been put in.

BT sure as hell aren't the melee guys. That's BA.

BT is in a weird place.

BT are in a place between retcon and GW simply making them codex compliant it feels.

I am not going to debate if SW are melee or not. We are unique in that every company has it's own style. If we are mid range then you just killed off companies like morkai and deathwolves. If we are melee we kill the Ironwolves.

No worries, Primaris ironwolves inbound.

I hope not. I already have a full armoured great company. I don't want to replace it all with primaris marines. Though I would mind adding a few to my existing company if they went a mixed route with it.

I hope not. I already have a full armoured great company. I don't want to replace it all with primaris marines. Though I would mind adding a few to my existing company if they went a mixed route with it.
If it was primaris iron wolves, it would be basically new great compaby named in their honour. Hard to get around the Iron Wolves behing dead woth whatever you do unfortunately.

just something to keep in mind.

I always viewed the spacewolves as the test bed GW yses for future astares in rules and form.

I honestly, would love a true mixed squad.

wolfguard squad with primaris, and old marines.

just something to keep in mind.

I always viewed the spacewolves as the test bed GW yses for future astares in rules and form.

I honestly, would love a true mixed squad.

wolfguard squad with primaris, and old marines.

I approve that. I want those new mixed units for my Black Templars!

If it was primaris iron wolves, it would be basically new great compaby named in their honour. Hard to get around the Iron Wolves behing dead woth whatever you do unfortunately.

I just found it gauling that GW took the Ironwolves from obscurity to giving them rules, and good rules at that, and left it long enough for people to build forced based around those rules, then just killed them all off less than a year later. Just felt like a massive money grab. Why not just introduce them in the story, as they knew they would be killed off again later anyway.

I'm not overly attached to the Ironwolves name, I just like playing mechanised wolves, astartes in tanks is awesome. But if the new company of mechanised wolves is a primaris great company that means everything I already bought is essentially worthless as all the mechanised rules will be for that company.

I'd love to see new rules for a mechanised great company, but if they do in a generic way so those of us with existing Ironwolves forces can still use their collections of minis, that would be great.

Hi all, and first post. 

I've been a wolves player since the 4th edition, with the old 3rd ed dex. I took a break after 5th and have now returned to see what's up. 

I find it odd they've added Wulfen before the return of the 13th company. The old favourite fan theory was Russ would return with Bulveye at the head of the 13th. I find their addition as "mainstream" units odd and think GW missed a good opportunity there. 

Does anybody miss the old Leman Russ exterminator? With autocannons getting a boost this edition it would be nice to see it return with 6-8 S7 D2 shots. It was a unique unit, without being over the top in theme. It did kinda suck back in the day with only 2 shots though. Could be good for your Iron Wolves @Yojo ninja. 

This is the trick GW have to pull off now - keep people like yourself with large armies happy, playing the game and spending money - but also sell to the new generation coming into the hobby who have not yet invested in 'old' marines armies so they can sell them the new hotness of 'bigger, better' marines :)

Hi all, and first post.

I've been a wolves player since the 4th edition, with the old 3rd ed dex. I took a break after 5th and have now returned to see what's up.

I find it odd they've added Wulfen before the return of the 13th company. The old favourite fan theory was Russ would return with Bulveye at the head of the 13th. I find their addition as "mainstream" units odd and think GW missed a good opportunity there.

Does anybody miss the old Leman Russ exterminator? With autocannons getting a boost this edition it would be nice to see it return with 6-8 S7 D2 shots. It was a unique unit, without being over the top in theme. It did kinda suck back in the day with only 2 shots though. Could be good for your Iron Wolves @Yojo ninja.

I've discussed this with several lore enthusiasts about the 13th, Russ, and the events that took place.

So the 13th never went into the eye. They chased the thousand sons into Magnus own psuedo-webway on Prospero. (Confirmed in Ashes of Prospero).

Onc there they were trapped and to them it's only been a short time. As the 13th turned Wulfen Magnus released them into real space in order to turn the Imperium against the wolves. (This was during the Warzone: Fenris and Wrath of Magnus events).

Now there was 2 thought trains about when Russ left. 1). Russ had taken the 13th and went into the eye. 2). Russ took his closest companions (except Bjorn) and went into the Eye, meanwhile the 13th went into the eye chasing 1ksons earlier. From what we see now is that it seems like the 2nd idea is now the more confirmed thought. Russ never took the 13th and only took his companions. Especially since Bulvye and Vigga Deathblow were found in the pseudo-webway on Prospero with some massive equipment (thunderhawk, mammoths, Spartans, etc). Now there may have been some 13th that never went into the webway and did go with Russ, it just seems most went into the webway.

Edit: To make it clear, 13th chased the 1ksons into the pseudo webeay lead by Bulvye and Vigga with him. Later Russ left with his closest companions leaving Bjorn behind.

Hi all, and first post.

I've discussed this with several lore enthusiasts about the 13th, Russ, and the events that took place.

So the 13th never went into the eye. They chased the thousand sons into Magnus own psuedo-webway on Prospero. (Confirmed in Ashes of Prospero).

Onc there they were trapped and to them it's only been a short time. As the 13th turned Wulfen Magnus released them into real space in order to turn the Imperium against the wolves. (This was during the Warzone: Fenris and Wrath of Magnus events).

Now there was 2 thought trains about when Russ left. 1). Russ had taken the 13th and went into the eye. 2). Russ took his closest companions (except Bjorn) and went into the Eye, meanwhile the 13th went into the eye chasing 1ksons earlier. From what we see now is that it seems like the 2nd idea is now the more confirmed thought. Russ never took the 13th and only took his companions. Especially since Bulvye and Vigga Deathblow were found in the pseudo-webway on Prospero with some massive equipment (thunderhawk, mammoths, Spartans, etc). Now there may have been some 13th that never went into the webway and did go with Russ, it just seems most went into the webway.

Edit: To make it clear, 13th chased the 1ksons into the pseudo webeay lead by Bulvye and Vigga with him. Later Russ left with his closest companions leaving Bjorn behind.

Does that fit though?

Ashes has what, 200-odd Marines under Bulveye stuck in a time lock for 10k years? IIRC Inferno only has around 600 of the 13th present on Prospero in the first place, minus inevitable casualties (and the 200 in stasis), that doesn't seem enough to provide the number of 13th Wulfen we see in Warzone Fenris (let alone the Black Stone on the Annulus). It sure appears that some/most of the 13th went into the Eye, just not at Prospero (because a bunch of them weren't even there).

Does Wrath of Magnus really have Magnus using the 13th as werewolf pokemon (didn't bother buying the second volume, bad story and no SW rules, not worth the cash imo), because I sure don;t recall that being mentioned in the first part of Warzone Fenris?

The head looks new. Like that bearded Deathwatch Wolf head with a short mohawk instead of bald.

(Which instantly makes it the best Space Wolves heads available)

The chestplate of the dude with the new head also looks to be new, it's got what appears to have totems draped on it.

Hi all, and first post.

Does that fit though?

Ashes has what, 200-odd Marines under Bulveye stuck in a time lock for 10k years? IIRC Inferno only has around 600 of the 13th present on Prospero in the first place, minus inevitable casualties (and the 200 in stasis), that doesn't seem enough to provide the number of 13th Wulfen we see in Warzone Fenris (let alone the Black Stone on the Annulus). It sure appears that some/most of the 13th went into the Eye, just not at Prospero (because a bunch of them weren't even there).

Does Wrath of Magnus really have Magnus using the 13th as werewolf pokemon (didn't bother buying the second volume, bad story and no SW rules, not worth the cash imo), because I sure don;t recall that being mentioned in the first part of Warzone Fenris?

Let's says that 100 turned Wulfen and were released from the webway, 250 are in the webway, 200 lost on Prospero, 50 lost in the webway and another 100 who didn't enter the webway and stayed with the legion. That easilly makes up 600 with some of the numbers being off.

Archived