Codex Next Week

lonewolf81

Well, I think nobody should feel dissapointed if the codex doesn't include Russ.

The new system of datasheets and keywords allows to release units after releasing the codexes. Because it only need to say "Leman Russ is a LoW option for a Space Wolves army" or something similar, and he will have keywords and rules for Space Wolves and Imperium, so it is not necessary to be included on the codex. He can be in a campaing book or even include his datasheet in the box.

We all should accept that could be the new method... releasing units, even special or unique units via datasheet on box. I think in Eisenhorn, but it is also rumored for Abbadon and his bodyguard.

That could allow releasing new products with no need to rewritte the codex. There will be more FAQs and Chapter Approveds so there are many options and probabilities

Don't expect Russ to drop with a codex without ceremony.

It will be part of a campaign.

Mortarion dropped with the DG codex and no campaign connection so there is precedence.

The Death Guard Codex was accompanied by a completely new army of models. That's a totally different situation to the Space Wolves, sadly.

My bet would be on a release similar to the BA or DA...Primaris upgrades and SW specific Intercesor kits along with a Lieutenant. If I had to guess on a "new" kit it would be a Long Fang like Hellblaster unit or special HQ unit. I do not think Russ will be dropping with the Codex like mentioned above. Having him return as a campaign supplement with significantly more fanfare (and profit) makes more sense to me. That all being said, I am no where near an expert on these matters, just looking at the last SM releases and making some assumptions.

Please prove me wrong GW, please.

If we were going to get the same treatment as the DA and BA it makes no sense that we’ve been held back for so much longer, they might as well have released all 3 at once and be done with it.

Except that it's an entirely different book, with different fluff, background, rules, characters, models, units, etc. You might as well say that Space Wolves should have been released alongside Death Guard because the two armies both use power armour, or at the same time as the Age of Sigmar Warriors of Chaos book because they also have warhounds.

We don't "deserve" new units or models any more than any other army at the moment and, although there could well be a specific reasoning behind the release order from GW, it's worth remembering that somebody had to have their Codex released last. Just because not every single Codex was released at the exact same time doesn't mean that suddenly we get special treatment over and above every single other faction.

Nobody has been given new models except where there has been an entire new faction introduced.

I'm psyched for the new book, the new rules, the development of the story and so on. I'm also psyched for how the army develops in the future in terms of new releases. I absolutely 100% believe, however, that the two are going to happen at very different times.

just as an FYI.

space wolves already have their primaris upgrade sprue.

its the current space wolves upgrade sprue, it has the shoulder pads for the gravis, it has a special backpack, and weapons that fit like all the other primaris upgrade packs.

The current upgrade sprue is for power armor, and gravis is much closer to TDA in size. I think we will be getting a new upgrade sprue that will have both PA and TDA/gravis shoulder pads on them, or just TDA/gravis.

The current upgrade sprue is for power armor, and gravis is much closer to TDA in size. I think we will be getting a new upgrade sprue that will have both PA and TDA/gravis shoulder pads on them, or just TDA/gravis.

MIssed the humour in Triszins post?

Primaris use SM shulderpads and the hands are broadly a similar size, so the frost axe and sword would not look out of place on a primaris. The head would be a good fit too

Hence, we already got our primaris upgrade kit :D

I think that GW missed an opportunity that I hope they fix in the codex. They have Wolf Lord (alongside Wolf Priest for confusion) and the insanely cumbersome Wolf Guard Battle Leader, that use rules called Jarl of Fenris and Huskarl to the Jarl. So why not just call the units Jarl and Huskarl? Gets more Norse flavor and makes less confusion. Of course, around the uninitiated I will still have to call them Captain and Lieutenant just like I have to call my Long Fangs "Devastators" (twitch).

My wallet tells me we don't need any new models. But if we get an index rebound into hardcover after all this time it will be lame and frankly unfair. It sucked for BA and DA. But at least they didn't have to wait so long...and I agree that if that happens for us, they may as well have released it then. We may not be entitled to more models, but we are entitled to new rules, real ones, that give us a tangible gameplay difference from Space Marines, which we currently lack. *Every* faction is entitled to that because we pay real money for it. Not every faction has gotten that treatment, true, but they should have. SW deserve a robust codex just as much as Space Marines, Tau, and Grey Knights deserve an update rather than the rebound indexes they got.

On a more cheerful note, GW might give us quite a bit more than expected, as well.  My other army is Deathwatch, and most of us laughed at the idea of SIA on Stormbolters.  That it'd be super broken, and GW would never give us that.  The most we hope for was maybe a slight point drop, some deep strike options aside from beacon(and even then we knew we were getting a little crazy in our wishlisting).  Probably just our reroll 1's to wound vs <target type> rule, some rehashed C:SM strats, a few more relics and warlord traits.

Instead we got a hefty points drop across the board, SIA on Stormbolters, Efficient Primaris KT's with multiple viable options, some nasty strategems and relics, the list goes on.

So while maybe we'll get a Codex: Grey Knights, and struggle with stupid expensive models that just dont do enough.

But we very well might get significantly cheaper Wulfen or TWC, or more wounds, or fixed STR on TWC, significantly better scouts, crazy army-wide benefits, Strategems to make us the premier melee powerhouse to rival Banana Bikes, or even to pound them into dust with our giant hammers wielded from wolf-back.

We'd better lower our expectation. We haven't seen any solid evidence indicating new SW models. The return of Russ would be a big incident of the Empire. Before Guilliman and Mortarion returned, GW released a lot of rumor and video. Both of them got screenshots in rumor engine. Nothing happened to our Primarch yet.

"Codex will be absolutely packed with new content" is meaningless. GW made similar statement during releasing DA and BA. It can always refer to PSM, CP and Great Company rule. Let's wait and see. I hope "the wait will be worth it" wouldn't be a joke.

Actually neither Guilleman nor Mortarion (nor Magnus, but he kind of predates the RE) were ever part of the rumor engine, and Guilleman dropped quite unexpectedly and was only revealed/hinted officially about a month before his release, there were rumors from rumor mongers before that yes.. but these same rumor mongers already mentioned russ coming back then (but alot said guilleman would be first.)

The week before Gathering storm II got released there was no clear sign Guilleman was coming, no hints in Gathering Storm I even.

I think that GW missed an opportunity that I hope they fix in the codex. They have Wolf Lord (alongside Wolf Priest for confusion) and the insanely cumbersome Wolf Guard Battle Leader, that use rules called Jarl of Fenris and Huskarl to the Jarl. So why not just call the units Jarl and Huskarl? Gets more Norse flavor and makes less confusion. Of course, around the uninitiated I will still have to call them Captain and Lieutenant just like I have to call my Long Fangs "Devastators" (twitch).

My wallet tells me we don't need any new models. But if we get an index rebound into hardcover after all this time it will be lame and frankly unfair. It sucked for BA and DA. But at least they didn't have to wait so long...and I agree that if that happens for us, they may as well have released it then. We may not be entitled to more models, but we are entitled to new rules, real ones, that give us a tangible gameplay difference from Space Marines, which we currently lack. *Every* faction is entitled to that because we pay real money for it. Not every faction has gotten that treatment, true, but they should have. SW deserve a robust codex just as much as Space Marines, Tau, and Grey Knights deserve an update rather than the rebound indexes they got.

The Codex is written along the lines of standard low Gothic wording rather than the actual language used by the Wolves.

Hence why it’s called Space Wolves (a term which they hate) and Lords rather than Jarls.

It would be great if the wording was updated but that’s never been the way the Codex work for any Factions. The novels are from the point of view of the Wolves so use a different language.

I like Greyhunters/Blood Claws/Longfang dynamic but i would love a switchover to Varyag, Huscarl, and Jarl for Wolf Guard, Battle Leaders, and Wolf Lords. I thought it was a big positive that they were integrated into tbe index.

I never really considered that, to be honest, but now that you mention it I absolutely love the idea.

I think I'll start referring to my Wolf Lords and WGBL as Jarl and Huskarl - really no idea why I didn't think of that before!

I had decided to use Norse titles in replacement for a lot of my SW's.

Wolf Lord - Jarl

Wolf Priest - Speaker of the Dead (stole from 30k, godi would be the Norse term but seemed out of place as Rune Priest could use it too)

Rune Priest- left alone

Iron Priest- left alone

Wolf Guard Battle Leader- Skutilsvein (alternatively Huskarl Leader, and Skutilsvein goes to Wolf Priest and Godi to Rune Priest)

Wolf Guard - Huskarls

Lone Wolf- Thegn or Thane

If you guys have better suggestions I am more than open. Just thought it might help those.

Wouldn't something like Thegn/Thane make more sense for WGBL (as I think FW did in Inferno)?

Huscarl would make more sense for WG, as they were the retainers/elite warriors, rather than commanding nobles.

I always thought thanes would operate separately and closer to a Jarl than a Huskarl would. They would be trusted with special missions or objectives. It fit Lone Wolf more to me.

Wouldn't something like Thegn/Thane make more sense for WGBL (as I think FW did in Inferno)?

Huscarl would make more sense for WG, as they were the retainers/elite warriors, rather than commanding nobles.

I always thought thanes would operate separately and closer to a Jarl than a Huskarl would. They would be trusted with special missions or objectives. It fit Lone Wolf more to me.

A Thane is a minor noble (equivalent to the son of an Earl IIRC) so would suit a WGBL rather than a Lone Wolf. A Thane is a leader whereas a LW is just seeking a glorious death, he has no intention to lead others.

Wouldn't something like Thegn/Thane make more sense for WGBL (as I think FW did in Inferno)? Huscarl would make more sense for WG, as they were the retainers/elite warriors, rather than commanding nobles.

A Thane is a minor noble (equivalent to the son of an Earl IIRC) so would suit a WGBL rather than a Lone Wolf. A Thane is a leader whereas a LW is just seeking a glorious death, he has no intention to lead others.
I wasn't trying to match Lone Wolf to a thane but vice versa. Where would a thane fit into SW army. Norse really didn't have a equivalent of Lone Wolves except maybe a old man seeking death so he could go to valhalla. From my knowledge there is no equivalent in Norse words.

Though let's see how it works with your idea.

Wolf Lord - Jarl

Wolf Priest - skutilsvein or speaker of the dead

Rune Priest- Godi

Iron Priest- Left alone

Wolf Guard Battle Leader- Thegn or Thane

Wolf Guard - Huskarls

Lone Wolf- ???

I’m going to be a voice of dissent here I guess. I think the names are fine ho they’ve always been.

I 100% dread the idea of a huge mass renaming because I’d rather play games than explain my army 500 times because people are confused why something that’s been one way for 20 years changed.

Super hot take too, insisting that everything be that way is just as pretentious as the furry stuff is cringe.

Wouldnt a Rune Priest be a Gothi, the same name as the shamans of the tribes?

Bersirkir for the lone wolf and ulfhednar for the wulfen

Lol yes you are correct I misplaced it is all. I will fix it.

We don't know too much about Ulfhendar and most is just hearsay. What we do know (to my knowledge) Ulfhednar were mostly shock troops that flanked the enemy and charging in to take advantage of weak points. They were relatively less reckless than Berserkers, as Berserkers would be drugged and charge the enemy without care of the tactical value. Berserkers seem to be more Wulfen, while Lone Wolf would be more Ulfhednar as they have an objective, kill monstrous creatures. However this is all controversial. I can see less wolfy Wulfen being ulfhednar if you plan Wulfen non-canon like (outflanking, using them for very good tactical kills, etc). After all ulfhednar and the wolfy models go together so well. Really Wulfen is their own thing in 40k or maybe a person with Celtic or Germanic lore could shed light and have a better example for them. I see your point though.

Really cool discussion and great ideas, here are my five cents which is more just aggregating ideas already exposed.

Wolf Lord - Jarl

Wolf Guard Battle Leader- Thegn or Thane

Wolf Guard - Huskarls

Wolf Priest - Speaker of the Dead a type of Gothi

Rune Priest - Caster of Runes a type of Gothi

Iron Priest - Left alone

Lone Wolf - Barsark

Wulfen - Left alone

I like berserk for the lone wolf for his only purpose now is to die. His rules could change to reflect that.

Also does anyone know what is Kva the divided from the novel Wolfsbane? I've finished but can't ascertain if he's a rune or wolf priest. To be fair he looks like he's both.

I’m going to be a voice of dissent here I guess. I think the names are fine ho they’ve always been.

I 100% dread the idea of a huge mass renaming because I’d rather play games than explain my army 500 times because people are confused why something that’s been one way for 20 years changed.

Super hot take too, insisting that everything be that way is just as pretentious as the furry stuff is cringe.

agreed, the rule names should stay as they are now.

but that doesnt mean there couldn't be a blurb saying in the old tongue a wolf lord is  a jarl. and such.

Archived