30k Hobby Chat

On 1/28/2023 at 7:40 AM, Xenith said:

How are you finding the heavy flamer sponsons on the preds? If they gained like torrent 12" for being vehicle mounted, I'd be all over them, however having to be that close to shoot makes me avoid them. 

I have to take them to count as Troops for Covenant of Fire, and I take them as Troops because my Heavy Support is filled up. I think Salamanders are the only legit legion that can make use of the sponsons because I use them to ram infantry and trigger Wall of Death rolls, which Dragon's Breath flame weapons get d6 instead of d3 hits. It's fun, but your mileage may vary, and flame templates are not good this edition.

1 hour ago, arnesh88 said:

I have to take them to count as Troops for Covenant of Fire, and I take them as Troops because my Heavy Support is filled up. I think Salamanders are the only legit legion that can make use of the sponsons because I use them to ram infantry and trigger Wall of Death rolls, which Dragon's Breath flame weapons get d6 instead of d3 hits. It's fun, but your mileage may vary, and flame templates are not good this edition.

That's a really cool tactic!

But ya, sucks about Heavy.

On 1/30/2023 at 4:16 PM, Dark-Storm-01 said:

Here's a question for you guys.

With my RTB01 Imperial Space Marines.. I have just enough chain bayonets to do 1 full 20 man squad or 2 squads of 10.

Is it worth rolling them into 1 full size squad to use as a bulk soak-up squad etc

Just rebased the 2nd lot of 10. I have plenty enough models left over can do another 14 I think from what I have left on the sprues + a bag of them spare. Unfortunately I don't have enough of the original missile launchers or flamers to do more than a 5 squad of heavies/support - which isn't worth it as can use the modern Mk6 models for this.

BTW yes, I know one is misisng his arms, they came off while rebasing them lol

edit: if I do it as a full 1 man squad then will replace the 2nd sergeant

Very cool!  Id model them as a single squad myself, If only for the chance to run such a cool looking unit in one place on the table.

You could still give yourself the option of two squads by modeling the second Sergeant as a more basic unit leader, or, If you have a spare basic marine you could always slot him in as a replacement, or just run a squad of 19 if you group them.

As for bayonets, i tend to model 5 of 10, this lets me easily play them as 5-with bayonets, say they represent the whole squad has them, or say they are just for show and none have them. Its a bit easier to 'pretend' a whole squad has or doesnt have equipment of only some of them are modelled with it, but my opponents are not so strict with WYSIWYG for such minor items.

Edited by dickyelsdon

16 hours ago, arnesh88 said:

Are we talking flame templates on vehichles or in general? Cause deep striking flamer and heavy flamer squads from a guardian of the Crimson king RoW is pretty brutal!

56 minutes ago, Dont-Be-Haten said:

Are we talking flame templates on vehichles or in general? Cause deep striking flamer and heavy flamer squads from a guardian of the Crimson king RoW is pretty brutal!

A bit of both. Deep striking flamers is one of the most effective uses of flame weapons, but not all armies have easy access to it. Most legions would have to rely on the Drop Pod Assault or the Underworld Assault to do so, which can be very limiting to build around or really expensive money-wise, and the targets you fire at with templates can (and commonly) take Augury Scanners. For armies that don't want to pigeon-hole into deep striking, you then have to deal with Reactions. Movement reactions make it easy to scoot just outside of range of a template, and some armies can even use a legion reaction to counter-charge movement or shooting phase, and most units that carry enough templates to matter are not good in melee. Also, the Heavy sub-type will render them ineffective, and the two most common Heavy sub-types are Cataphractii terminators (popular) and Heavy Support Squads (popular and very difficult to reach). Finally, template weapons usually are not strong against space marines, because they will almost always get their armour save, and sometimes you have to get past FNP from an apothecary.

Adding it all up, it's an uphill battle, and it's mostly because they're common issues to come up against. While I am taking a decent number of flame weapons in my list, it's mostly for narrative games. If I wanted to be more challenging for some of my friends, they're one of the first things I gut, even as a Salamanders player.

Edited by arnesh88

You could always just flat out some rhinos or take an infiltrating/scout pathfinder put them in a squad of flamers, in a rhino with heavy flamer and be able to do whatever you like with that unit on turn 1. Infiltrate, then scout, disembark walk up and BBQ anything you want.

This is specifically if you want to utilize template weapons. Who cares about a scout Centurion, it's a 70 point tax to give your infiltrating and scout to a unit of your choice.

It’s one reason I think the new exemplary battle salamanders are so good. You have combi-flamers that are extra strength and no longer one shot. If the pesky enemy moves you can still bolt gun them. If the pesky enemy charges, you are still 2W, 2A with a possible WS buff. What’s not to like? Maybe that will be my Rewards of Treason choice …

Will have to check out the Ashen Circle and Pathfinder, did not realise torrent/confer infiltrate.

10 hours ago, Vostroi said:

I thought  you couldnt shoot in a turn your vehicle used ram

You can shoot, but it's only Snap Shots, regardless of whether they're defensive weapons or not. "Ramming Restrictions" section. And Wall of Death is triggered during Overwatch or when making Snap Shots with Template weapons.

So I am thinking of dabbling in 28mm as a next project and have just got the AoD rulebook for a very reasonable price (goodness me that is one big book!)

Legions-wise I have narrowed it down to:

Iron Hands - post Istvaan as a guerilla force, don't like just black so lots of damaged/rusted armour, scavenged bits, jungle bases for some colour (think Damnation of Pythos but without the rubbish ending! :biggrin:)

Blood Angels - I love red! Thinking a 'Signus Prime' setting. Some Daemon bits & colour on bases. loved the art piece in the Heresy art books of the Beakie marine wrapped in a chaos spawn.

Sons of Horus - a scouring-era force. Always liked the idea of the broken community of marines trying to fight their way across an Imperium that wants to kill them after the death of their leader. Mix in some chaos 40k marine bits, a few spikes (but not too many) lots of battle damage.

Note I have no real idea about the game yet and am just trading in concepts! With theme basically 'legions that have taken a pasting' :happy:

19 minutes ago, Pacific81 said:

So I am thinking of dabbling in 28mm as a next project and have just got the AoD rulebook for a very reasonable price (goodness me that is one big book!)

Legions-wise I have narrowed it down to:

Iron Hands - post Istvaan as a guerilla force, don't like just black so lots of damaged/rusted armour, scavenged bits, jungle bases for some colour (think Damnation of Pythos but without the rubbish ending! :biggrin:)

Blood Angels - I love red! Thinking a 'Signus Prime' setting. Some Daemon bits & colour on bases. loved the art piece in the Heresy art books of the Beakie marine wrapped in a chaos spawn.

Sons of Horus - a scouring-era force. Always liked the idea of the broken community of marines trying to fight their way across an Imperium that wants to kill them after the death of their leader. Mix in some chaos 40k marine bits, a few spikes (but not too many) lots of battle damage.

Note I have no real idea about the game yet and am just trading in concepts! With theme basically 'legions that have taken a pasting' :happy:

iron hands we dont see enough of them :D

Just looking through the AoD book and it's a mightily impressive tome and nicely produced, but one thing that stands out is the almost complete lack of artwork; very, very little apart from a few Primarch portraits at the start of the book. It's quite disappointing, as nice as it is to see painted miniatures I always found artwork fires the imagination and creativity when looking at that sort of thing.

It's something you see in more small scale historicals soft-bound books which are produced non-professionally and where they can't afford artwork to be commissioned. Especially considering the absolute mountain of artwork from the Heresy TCG alone, I can't understand why it isn't bursting with it.

Edited by Pacific81