'To Plunder the Stars Themselves' OOC Thread

Lysimachus

@Lysimachus: out of curiosity what sort of capabilities does our shuttle have, and how big is it? Does it have the necessary equipment to act as a carry-all or bulk cargo transport ship? For example: would we be able to, say, pick up and make off with a vehicle or similarly large object to bring home with us? Or is it simply a troop transport ship?

I'd say in terms of size, the shuttles are somewhere between a Stormraven and a Thunderhawk. Big enough for you and plenty of boxes of supplies/equipment. You'd get a Rhino sized hull up the loading ramp but once it was in, there wouldn't be a huge amount of storage space left?

Also, bear in mind if you want to bring the shuttle in, you need to do something about the Sisters' air defences (which are probably set on Automated as the Sisters are all outside - or dead). Maybe a quick trip to the Sanctum/Strategium? (i.e. control room!)

Edited by Lysimachus

@All: I think it might be prudent for us to attempt to trap or mine the main gate (time permitting) of the convent. Beyond that, we should maybe look for a vantage point or vantage points within their vehicle depot or entrance area or similar to establish overlapping fire and thus a kill-zone. We'd have to split into separate teams to accomplish something to this effect. Thoughts?

Edit: unless, of course, we simply want to try to loot what we can and then attempt to escape?

Edit 2: setting up a good enough booby trap at or near the convent entrance could possibly force them to enter on foot, which would be heavily to our advantage considering we just burned through our krak grenade supply (well played, @Lys).

Edited by Necronaut

Even if you can get the air defences switched off, your shuttle won't arrive before the Sisters do, so you'll at least need to hold them off for a bit?

If it helps you plan your next actions any, this pic shows the layout of the front entrance into the Convent House:

gallery_27610_17040_126571.jpg

So, double doors, low stone walls and stairs down to level of bridge, more stone walls along the bridge itself (wherever the braziers are mounted).

2 Pillboxes at the far end of the bridge and 1 on your side overlooking the bridge. Vehicle entrance is through the pillboxes, over the bridge and then left at the stairs and around to the left hand side of the main door (if that makes sense?)

You won't be able to blow the bridge out completely, it's too big and well made (plus the shuttle landing pad area is out of view to the left beyond the pillboxes).

My plan would basically be:

1. Send Svelk to the entrance to lay demo-charges

2. Send Traveller (and possibly Redcloak) to Strategium to establish control over base, disable AA support, determine key locations, etc.

3. Rest of Kill-Team to disperse and establish firing-zones based upon layout of base pulled up by Traveller and Redcloak.

We may need to stay nominally together as there is no way of knowing how many holdouts (if any) there are in the convent.

Edit: Thanks @Lys! So essentially Svelk would need to mine the bridge with the goal of disabling one or more of their rhinos to block the path. Then the rest of us could establish overlapping fields of fire from the pillbox in addition to having one or more people up on the wall above the main gate? Possibly leave a surprise in the opposite side pillboxes if there's still time, or at least disable the weaponry therein. Kind of a simplistic plan but we're short on time and simple is better.

Edited by Necronaut

That all sounds pretty logical to me!

Even though in-game you've only got a few minutes before the Sisters arrive, I'm going to give it a few days before I move you into the finale fight (as Alpha has only just come out of the last one!) but you can plan and post any narrative of where and how you want to set up an ambush, or places you want to visit within the House?

NB. There aren't any more Sisters within the structure, just a few serfs, techies, etc that will run and hide rather than fight!

In the meantime, I want to try to get Beta back aboard the Dagger and heading back to collect Alpha. Does anyone have any comments or questions towards Lang? What do you want to do with all the other prisoners that have seen you?

So what happened with Carlina's boss The Cannoness? Wasn't she supposed to be attacking us after the Sisters and the Morty had softened us up a bit?

Or did the Cannoness lead the force that went to Rolling Rock and Sister Superior Carlina was left behind as a token force?

Have we really taken over the Convent, it all seems to be a bit too easy. Apart from the final battle to come with the force from Rolling Rocks.

Edited by Machine God

Definitely possible I would think. It's unclear exactly what is inside of the pillboxes as far as static emplacements go (if any), and I would imagine raiding their armorium is our ultimate goal for lucre and materiel.

Edit: @MR, great post -- I lol'd at Orphiel's action and thought process.

Edited by Necronaut

Definitely possible I would think. It's unclear exactly what is inside of the pillboxes as far as static emplacements go (if any), and I would imagine raiding their armorium is our ultimate goal for lucre and materiel.

Edit: @MR, great post -- I lol'd at Orphiel's action and thought process.

@Necro - Thanks.

The 'pillboxes are shown on the map aren't really pillboxes just a circular wall, sort of like a tower with only a ground floor and no roof. Only cover from the front of arc that a person is facing and certainly no cover from a grenade lobbed over.

@BC: I would imagine the defences can read the difference between a 'friendly' and a target, much like the automated systems back on Elysium in ep.1? But shutting them off entirely might be possible?

As to the Armorium, yep it should be fairly well stocked with Sororitas' favoured weapons. You'd face the usual penalties for using weapons that are too small for Astartes but they're there if you want them.

@Necro/MG:

I was imagining what you can see as being the roof and parapet of the pillboxes, with a single level inside just below ground level? But obvs the vision slits only face outward from the front door, so anyone attacking couldn't use them (or at least could only set up on the roof?)

@MG: too easy, you say? Ask and thou shalt receive...

@Tro: yep sorry, I think you got in as I was typing... having reread I think it all still works ok though! :D

Edited by Lysimachus

probably still worth it if I can snag a multi-melta.

Where is the section that gives those penalties?  When I look in the core rulebook on page 146 it says mortals have issues with astartes weapons, but as long as astartes take a few moments to adjust things like trigger guards they can use mortal weapons.

@BC see p.161: "Poor Manual Dexterity: While protective, armoured gloves are not ideal for fine manipulation. Delicate tasks suffer a –10 penalty unless using equipment designed for Space Marines. Similarly, ranged weapons other than those of Astartes design are too small for an armoured Battle-Brother to wield at all..."

Edit: Actually that causes a little bit of a conflict/confusion based upon how you read the RAW on p.146...

Edited by Necronaut