[DH1e] The Damocles Contingency (OOC)

Mazer Rackham

No mate, you're overcooking it :wink: - it's just 20 for the whole car, 2-12 occupants (including the guard), just 20. 

The swiss seat is 5 per head, but it's waaaay faster. And exceptionally trouser bagging, but if you have the stones, you can jump stops. :pirate:

The car ride will take longer, and mean whoever takes the money will know your exact destination.

So It's you, Nicios and Restal in the car, Falk and Bardas going to hotwire a brain magnet?

Edited by Mazer Rackham

The clerk is exceptionally thin, with an oddly bulbous head. His pate is protected by some kind of hiver cap, a flattened wedge of cloth tapering towards the front.

"Aye up, lad. Linger theyer fer five minutes of th' Emperor's hour. Twenty Pieces please. Una'll look after thee."

:laugh:

I'd like to clarify before it becomes a thing that Reynard saying t' instead of to wasn't an attempt at a Yorkshire accent, it was just to show that he isn't enunciating as precisely as he usually does...

Edited by Lysimachus

40 minutes ago, Lysimachus said:

I'd like to clarify before it becomes a thing that Reynard is a lifelong fan of, and devoted Fred Dibnah impersonator, (SNIP) enunciating as precisely as he usually does...

"Dos't thee liyke that?"

Spoiler

Nicios will take a Toughness (Simple) Advance for 250XP (total spent 1700), bringing him up to 31 (finally above 2 TB!) and do a quick Heal on himself (roll of 6 to manifest, roll of 4 for hit points) bringing him up to full. He is now ready-ish.

Quick question: how fast is the lift we are using? Most Hives are around 10 miles tall, right? And the journey - not all the way from the bottom to the top, I'm guessing maybe about half that so say 5 miles? - takes 4 hours? That means the lift is travelling at around 1.25 mph... :huh:

Sorry, just trying to get a picture in my head of how fast we're going so I can imagine what might be jumping aboard and what we can do about them... :biggrin:

Yes, it's doing roughly 2-3 mph, which is about right for safety speeds for stopping and such on a 12-person lift, (especially one 10,000 years old) as well as the cable length and strain. If it was a high-speed lift, that would be doing 6mph. Anything could intercept the car at these speeds, with relatively minimal damage.

Unless it fell several yards, at which point someone's knees are through their teeth.

Sorry to hear that Tro, hope you feel better soon!

As to the situation in the lift, I don't really fancy our chances against two Malcadons…

Anyone think it's worth flashing a badge here? Spoilt brat Nobles are probably more easily intimidated by the thought of the Inquisition than their parents would be? And we are considering walking in and ordering the Governor to stand down, so this would just be doing things a bit earlier than planned? We might even be able to order them to get us past security and into the Governor's Palace!

Might not work, but worth a try? Even if it doesn't, it might make them pause for a minute and we go back to trying to fight/kill them?

Edited by Lysimachus

Hope you feel better soon, buddy @Trokair:thumbsup:

As to the Malcadons, they are just punk kids, hence their gear isn't full spec, and this isn't Munda, so it's a sort-of in-house copy. Still dangerous, though.

You're free to tackle them/try other avenues any way you like.

EDIT: I'll expand on this a bit to give some options.

• The lift does pass different stops. It would be possible to hit the emergency release and stop the lift car to escape onto a random floor.
  • You can also use the emergency contact vox to describe what is going on and summon help, holding out until it arrives.
  • The lift is a constructed of a plasteel cage, which provides reinforcement struts on all corners and in the middle of each wall and roof. This means that the panels are just thick-gauge steel, and therefore thinner.

Hit me up with any further questions and feel free to strategise before it all kicks off.

In organisational/logistical news, since we are a couple of players down, I MAY open up recruitment again to try and get a spare body or two into the game to take some of the heat off, as things are only going to get more intense from here. I'm willing to take comments on that.

Edited by Mazer Rackham

On 12/3/2022 at 11:04 PM, Mazer Rackham said:

In organisational/logistical news, since we are a couple of players down, I MAY open up recruitment again to try and get a spare body or two into the game to take some of the heat off, as things are only going to get more intense from here. I'm willing to take comments on that.

Forgot to say, but personally I'm totally cool with that if there are people that would like to join in?

@Mazer Rackham - Perhaps you could ask Kelborn. He posted recently in the new player roster thread.

1 hour ago, Lysimachus said:

Forgot to say, but personally I'm totally cool with that if there are people that would like to join in?

Agreed, I've got no issues putting a few more bodies between the enemy and Nicios' (now slightly less) squishy body.

Just to check, are we not subordinate to Valkyrie?

If it's up to us which way to go, I still think we have two options; up into the Spire to see Aldario or just below us is Canthus' territory.

Valkyrie's point about her having the cover story of going into Canthus to hire mercenaries could be workable?

Also, I was thinking. GM said if we were going to see Aldario we should probably take Nicios. That suggests there is a psychic danger at the top. What if Aldario is the Dark Sister? It would certainly make sense why the Dark Sister is angry with Dreyfuss for experimenting on the people of the Hive - they are her subjects?

24 minutes ago, Lysimachus said:

Just to check, are we not subordinate to Valkyrie?

Yes and no. I knew I mentioned the terms are interchangeable, but technically as Acolytes, you are junior, since she is a Throne Agent. However, I chose Valkyrie here because in character she's a bit friendlier, and open to discussion, and I can let the Players drive.

On the mend, will try to catch up tonight, but first I better take care of my treasure hunters, I left them on a dark and stormy night.

Agreed. If Mazer thinks we need some cavalry to save us then by all means let him  get us some cavalry. The more the merrier.