Dreadnought looks fine, or at least he would if he didn't have that stupid turret.

Lieutenant looks pretty good! Just a simple character model with options. I dig it.

Desolators are...horrific. Like, shockingly bad. The weird gatling-missile-launcher is bad enough on its own, but combined with the slap-on missile pods up top? Good lord. Plus, between Suppressors (Swooping Hawks), Eradicators (Fire Dragons), Assault Intercessors (Striking Scorpions) and now these (Dark Reapers), the Space Marines are getting plastic Aspect Warriors before the Eldar.

Going against the grain, i actually don't dislike the desolators. Im not going to go out and say they're perfect, but I actually quite like the guns. every gun in 40k is impractical to some degree(with the possible exception of lasguns), being way too bulky and heavy for anyone to realistically use in combat. The devestator grav cannons are far more ridiculous than these IMO. They're bulky enough to feel like heavy weapons, but not aboslutely ludicrous like some older guns. I particularly like the superkrak missile loadout, the silhouette reminds me particularly of the BFG from the recent doom games. i like the targetting arrays on their backs and thetargetting optics in the center of the gun itself.

All that being said, the belt feed is kind and the whole reloading situation is the weakest part of the kit. They really should've given them a full backpack with extra missiles and an autoloader system of some sort.

The Lietenant is quite nice. My favorite part in all honesty is that he doesn't have the same old same old winged skull, but an actual Aquila for once. Emperor be praised.

Lastly, the Brutalis dreadnought. Im not overall a huge fan of the Redemptor chassis; i find the body too wide and the limbs too thin, proportionately speaking. the Leviathan and the Contemptor remain the peak dreadnought design. That being said, I really like the Brutalis. The heavier fists and additional lag plating do alot to address my issues with the default redemptor, making the proportions feel alot nicer. Not perfect, still has too much gut, but better. As a BA player, i am in love with the talons. Im curious about the profile differences to makes the talons unable to take the bolt rifles while the fists can; considering the current redemptor fist stats, they're going to be pretty insane. The stubbers are fine i guess, but i would have happily traded them for a shield generator or something similar. The booby multimeltas more than make up for it though.

Going to make a call: The Brutalis Dread will be a better shooting platform than melee one, outperforming the Redemptor as a shooting dread. Calling it.

You can't just jam 2 heavy weapons like that on mounting points like THAT and think "mhmm, yep. Side-armaments". It looks so forced.

2 hours ago, Marshal Reinhard said:

Quite clear that they were going for an homage to this when they designed the desolators gun. At least the sergeant's version.

SM1.jpg

Credit for remembering this piece of art goes to Xenith

I'll be honest, considering the context this art was used in, (the creation of a space marine) I always assumed it was some sort of mental medical equipment.

I don't like the new Intercessors holding awkward missile guns; looking at other minis they previewed, they look uninspired to me. Was expecting more, I don't see me owning them, no matter how good they could be.

The new dread looks fine, but I still feel disappointed, I was expecting a more "Brutal" design, not a redemptor with claws and some more armor plates.

Multikit  LT. looks great!

8 hours ago, Special Officer Doofy said:

I do not watch their streams (the whole reason I joined this forum was to just find out from fraters like you guys and ask questions), so the dreadnaught and Missle guys are just upgrades to existing kits?

Having looked again I believe I’m wrong 

Edited by WARMASTER_

3 hours ago, Marshal Reinhard said:

Which is why its belt fed, right? But I tire of this.

Not to pile on here but “belt fed” energy weapons are very much established the Moritat with Volkite Serpenta’s being a good model example 

341626A6-0FD1-4C6B-9EC3-A436694D3A85.png

Edited by WARMASTER_

If they were Gravis, maybe, but the guns are for a 34mm game at 28mm. Ridiculous tubes. Underslung's OK. 

Brutalis is fine, but the top stubber- why is a 12 year old big gun fetishist designing their minis now?

Edit: Lieutenant is nice

Edited by BrainFireBob
Lieutenant comment

9 minutes ago, Karhedron said:

No they aren't, they are completely new kits, not add-on sprues for the existing kits.

9 minutes ago, Lord Nord said:

That's completely wrong. But only ALL of it.

Having looked again you might be right actually… silly me! I’ll take the L

7 minutes ago, Captain Idaho said:

When GW sees the feedback from social media on the new Desolation squad:

"Make them Damage 6 and 3 shots."

Still wouldn't buy any, although I suppose my ML-Devs might get some time of the shelf for the occasional count-as game. ^^

I've been perusing the Internet and I must say the community has drained much of the joy I had at this reveal.

The weapons for the Desolation squad are different and new from things we've had in the past, and sometimes it takes a while for people to get used to new things, but my goodness the hate has been comically overblown.

It's a Marine with a big gun - that's all. Are these the best looking guns? No; their silhouette and profile doesn't match more traditional weapons that we're accustomed to, but the discussion about the unit's potential performance, how it slots into armies, etc is completely drowned by the same parroting comments. I keep returning to the topic hoping the conversation has moved on. Silly me.

The Scout models in the Firstborn range are pretty grotesque to my eyes, and I never used them as a result. No one has to buy or use these models.

Edited by Orange Knight

9 minutes ago, Orange Knight said:

I've been perusing the Internet and I must say the community has drained much of the joy I had at this reveal.

The weapons for the Desolation squad are different and new from things we've had in the past, and sometimes it takes a while for people to get used to new things, but my goodness the hate has been comically overblown.

It's a Marine with a big gun - that's all. Are these the best looking guns? No; their silhouette and profile doesn't match more traditional weapons that we're accustomed to, but the discussion about the unit's potential performance, how it slots into armies, etc is completely drowned by the same parroting comments. I keep returning to the topic hoping the conversation has moved on. Silly me.

The Scout models in the Firstborn range are pretty grotesque to my eyes, and I never used them as a result. No one has to buy or use these models.

Maybe the problem isn't only about how childish, unbelievable, and comical they are.  But more that the mk. X armor was the only good looking primaris model in the range.   Honorable mention to the redemptor being okay, but many of us were hoping for more good looking mk. X... and this...  well a heavy bolter is literally a chain fed missile launcher...  too much vapid marvel movie influence.   

It feels like this was done to make sure they sold separate kits.

Edited by farfromsam

4 minutes ago, Orange Knight said:

I keep returning to the topic hoping the conversation has moved on. Silly me.

It's been ~17 hours since they were shown. I don't think it's unreasonable for people to still be having initial reactions to something less than a day old. Maybe by next week things may have 'moved on' to how these would fare in game, bearing in mind that we only have leaks so far as to what the profiles and abilities of the squad and weapons are and nothing official from Warhammer Community yet.

I think I'd like the Desolators quite a bit more if the tubes were like a third the length and correspondingly a bit thinner. The weapon systems/packages on their own are cool enough, but they are not very well in scale to the grunts carrying them. The opportunity to give us a new shoulder-mounted multi-missile launcher unit is thus lost for a generation.

Ho hum, my Primaris are Scars successors so I wasn't likely getting any anyway. The Brutalis is worthy, though.

Cheers,

The Good Doctor.

Edited by Dr. Clock

10 minutes ago, Orange Knight said:

Maybe the design is just not what the community, having followed the journey of the Grim Dark 41st millennium, accepts or wants in Space Marines or the Imperium. Tau maybe, but the aesthetic doesn't match the Marines.

It's a news reveal about the new models ultimately. I wouldn't worry too much. If you start a thread about the Tactical application of these models, I'm certain the topic would be held to that as opposed to how much scorn they get about being awful models.

10 minutes ago, Orange Knight said:

Yeah but most Space Marines fans don't much care if people criticise Scouts or anything else. In fact, a poor model is a poor model.

People hate on Centurions all the time, I'm part of a minority (maybe?) who like them - it doesn't bother me at all that people don't like them.

It's ok for people to like and dislike different things :smile: