3 hours ago, phandaal said:

Maybe he did die, but then he got better.

I know this was a joke but a marine as old as Dante having a near death/after death experience could be a very interesting character development. Especially if you wanted to give him a new source of vigor to keep fighting.

1 minute ago, Silas7 said:

I know this was a joke but a marine as old as Dante having a near death/after death experience could be a very interesting character development. Especially if you wanted to give him a new source of vigor to keep fighting.

Yeah, he could really decide it's not his time if that happens at a crucial moment.

Maybe tie it in right afterwards when he's feeling fresh guilt for what happened in the book series.

Edited by WrathOfTheLion

I vaguely recall the other reason Dante kept his lid on was how aged and decrepit he thought he looked, feeling that people would lose respect for him compared to the invincible primarch face. Not to say that was really true because im sure we have all for a worse impression of our own faces :D But crossing the rubicon might refresh his skin and give him the confident boost to go bare headed :P 

#positivity!

1 hour ago, Warhead01 said:

Not a fan of this pose was not a fan of the previous pose.  Is it Dante? Yes. But is that the death mask? and wasn't he asked to not use it any more? Over all underwhelming. Would not be in a rush to add him to my Primaris BA's, well not at full price and not with my own money.  

I've forgotten, are Primaris actually bigger in the lore? I know that one of the new implants makes them tougher/stronger. Has anyone read what a failed Rubicon crossing looks like? Who's to say that Dante's physical proportions have actually changed.

22 minutes ago, Silas7 said:

I've forgotten, are Primaris actually bigger in the lore? I know that one of the new implants makes them tougher/stronger. Has anyone read what a failed Rubicon crossing looks like? Who's to say that Dante's physical proportions have actually changed.

He is beefy for sure. But I think there could be more to it than crossing the Rubicon. Maybe it's also the clearly fancy armour and maybe he needed a bionic lung or something extra given his age. I'm unclear on how a first born crossing the Rubicon would grow larger from the experience but who can really say one way or the other on that. 

I don't hate him I'm just not thrilled with the pose. Makes me think the artist didn't know what to do with the lower body or it was design by committee. 
I do like the jump pack and hope that means Primaris Jump infantry are also on the way. I'm not playing currently but I could see adding in more new units if and when they are available. We'll see. 

They do get taller in the lore, even if they become Primaris by crossing the Rubicon. There is a story about the Wolfspear in that Successors book, and they get visited by two Space Wolves, one who crossed and one who did not. The one who did cross the Rubicon is the same height as the Wolfspear Primaris Marines.

3 hours ago, Orange Knight said:

And yet people also lost their minds when Marines were given big, brutal, boxy missile launchers?

There's no winning with some, let's be honest and say that lol

Yeah cuase those weren't brutal at all, They slapped some armored core anime missle pods on a wierd looking gatling micro missle luancher looks like it lept straight from the pages of a 90's comic book. Looked like it should be chromed and wielded by Will Smith and Tommy Lee jones in thier fight against rogue space aliens. Eradicators are brutal, big guys with a big gun and nobody complained about them not even me. lol

43 minutes ago, Warhead01 said:

He is beefy for sure. But I think there could be more to it than crossing the Rubicon. Maybe it's also the clearly fancy armour and maybe he needed a bionic lung or something extra given his age. I'm unclear on how a first born crossing the Rubicon would grow larger from the experience but who can really say one way or the other on that. 

I don't hate him I'm just not thrilled with the pose. Makes me think the artist didn't know what to do with the lower body or it was design by committee. 
I do like the jump pack and hope that means Primaris Jump infantry are also on the way. I'm not playing currently but I could see adding in more new units if and when they are available. We'll see. 

They describe the process in the book where Mephiston crosses, they like literally cut bones in half to extend them.

something I believe is actually done today.

2 hours ago, Magos Takatus said:

I'm certain the 2nd edition Eldar Codex was released before the Angels of Death Codex. My friend was running around with an Eldar army before I was able to get some pocket money to spend on Mephiston. He had Ragnar Blackmane before I could answer back with my own characters. I'm fairly sure the Chaos Codex was after that lot.

My bad, the Eldar Phoenix lords pre-date Dante, Corbulo, and Tycho's models by 2 years. , along with the space marine Bike and Attack Bike models, all came out in 1996, and Warp Spiders and the Phoenix Lords are from 1994, with the falcon and vyper releasing in 1997. They, along with the Space Wolf Rune Priest in terminator armor (late 1993) indeed being the oldest model still in use in modern 40k, with the BA  special characters in close 2nd place.

Good lord, that helmet is awful. It looks like he's wearing a stick-on mask on the front of a primaris helmet :biggrin:. I giggle every time I tab back to look at it. The halo sat over the head didn't work on the Imperium magazine captain, it doesn't work here either. Just looks clumsy and worse, destroys the traditional Sanguinary Death Mask look. His calves are huge, so big that they look more like oedema than muscles. The flared knees normally look fine, but here they are really jarring and break up the flow of the muscularity of his legs.  I'm not a huge fan of the grav fins they love slapping all over jump packs nowadays, but that's not a deal breaker - it does add to the overall disappointment of this model though.

And what on earth is going on with his pose? He looks like he's either leaping back into flight, or landing after a jump. But the parchments on his left suggest horizontal movement, the loin cloth just looks like it's getting tangled around his leg, not flowing with his direction, and the parchment/trinket haging from his inferno pistol suggests a static pose. Just an overall confusing suggestion of different directions of movement there.

The rest is fine. Honestly, if his helmet wasn't so bad I think I'd be fine overlooking everything else (apart from the weirdly contradictory movement flow, but that can be easily fixed). Thankfully, head swaps are easy, but it seems a real shame to get a completely new resculpt of such an iconic character, and slap a head from the decade+ old Sanguinary Guard kit on it. Or maybe just resculpt the sides of the head so the mask extends back to meet the primaris ear flares, rather than it being a completely different element.

Don't try to fix what's not broken GW. You did a fantastic job with primaris Grimaldus, Azrael, Tigurius, Helbrecht, Ragnar & Mephiston (and Crowe, even if he's not a primaris update) - all you needed to do was the same thing with Dante. Sadly, this one is a little bit :cuss:.. I can't believe I'm saying this, but I prefer the original despite the fact that it's ancient, tiny & the sculpting is objectively worse. I hope the rest of the BA update doesn't follow suit, or I'll be saving a lot of money instead of adding to my BA (perhaps a boon given the current economy).

1 hour ago, Emperor Ming said:

Crossing the Rubicon must be safest procedure in the galaxy:ermm::laugh:

I think it's dangerous like fighting an ork nob with a big choppa is dangerous. I couldn't do it and even an 'ordinary' space marine might die, but a legendary hero of the chapter could be expected to rise up and overcome.

I don't much like the pose but good to see a primaris jump pack.

I agree with others that leaks that just spoil an imminent reveal are kind of useless, although if it was really a warehouse mistake that is funny.

8 minutes ago, LittlePlasticHomies said:

Totally sick update and gives me a lot of hope that the jump marines won’t have the goofy moon boots on the inceptors.

Fingers crossed those models are also flight stand free.

oh god no, please give me a good flight stand instead of forcing me to use some random bits of terrain. i'm tired of models standing on :cuss:.  either give me some good flat footed goodness or give me a decent flight stand.

Regarding the helmet and the mask - When I was watching Valraks feed it was mentioned that it might be because it is (has to be) the original Death Mask, which is smaller than the current helm. Therefore, on the Primaris helm it looks smaller. A decent enough explanation if true.

Overall, I really think this is a best case scenario for a Dante update.

BUT, personally, I'm not a fan of the head. As others have said, It does look like an easy swap, so not a big deal.

I'll prob order another copy of the finecast model tonight just to cannibalize it for a proper Death Mask of Sanguinius.

May also see what it looks like with a regular jump pack.