Legions Imperialis: The Great Slaughter

Table of contents from the video:

Screenshot_20240211_191821_YouTube.thumb.jpg.cb5ee7b67f0f850eced67d7f8cfc81c0.jpg

For the 22 cards 10 should be the units in the preorder, another 4 will be the units in the fast attack box, SA are also getting artillery and transport detachments in the book so medusa/basilisk (assuming only one card) and dracosans.

That's 16 cards. Assuming the infernus is a heavy armour and the valdor is a battle tank (infernus is a low in HH while the valdor is not) that would fill all the categories seen here.

That leaves 6 more cards. I also expect all the drop pods versions in here since they got an image in the reveal article  which would be another 4 cards which leaves two for the vanguard formation and the drop pod formation known from the WD battlereport. So these should be all the rules we are getting from the book. But then there are also new SA formations in the above image? so maybe the formations aren't counted on the 22 cards which would mean another two units. Maybe Stormhammers and Proteus Land Raiders? That would mean everything revealed until now has rules in the book which would make sense.

So five more boxes (2 droppod versions, fast attack, dracosans, artillery) plus the core box tanks and the missing flyers/titans should be next

Edited by Matrindur

The 4 kits they are releasing will be very good for the game, another transport, some more fairly beefy tanks, and a bunch of support assets for both sides.  This means more anti-air potentially on the table, more anti-superheavy/knight/titan weapons that aren't on a knight/titan and just generally more variety to lists.  If only I could believe it will be in stock for more than an hour at best.  Personally I want a box of each less the Malcador variants since they aren't necessary for the project I am doing.

Does anyone know if Dark Sphere do a pre-register for these kind of releases? Or just the boxset type ones? There’s nothing on their FB page yet. 

I find their list setup, much less stressful. 

32 minutes ago, Arendious said:

Glad to see this out! Though, I'll freely admit to hoping for more formations for each army - two pages each translates to 2-3 formations, based on the examples in the core book.

They've previously confirmed a Drop Pod Assault Formation for Marines, as well as Mechanised Infantry, Artillery Company and Super-Heavy Company for Solar Auxilia.

I wouldn't be surprised if we saw some kind of 'Terminators With LRs/Spartans' and 'Fast Attack' Formation for Marines as well, but that's just guessing on my part. 

Edited by Lord Marshal

Ya while happy they're realising both new rules and some new/outstanding kits, I'm a little frustrated. It's a hard sell to people without access to printers; you can't get the main battle tanks (Preds, sicarans, Russes, non-specialized malcs) still, and stuff is split into really inconvenient amounts (marines 2 of each rapier/tarantula/dread loadout). Not even counting supply issues for what's been actually released for sale either. 

I was really hoping for more coming in a book that amounts to planned, ready at launch dlc. Like, more of the missing detachment slots to open the game up and provide the full potential of the formations (so pioneer isn't always strictly better than sub cohort). Guess we'll get to wait another 3 months for sabres or scorpii or whatever. And then who knows how long for the models.

5 minutes ago, SkimaskMohawk said:

Ya while happy they're realising both new rules and some new/outstanding kits, I'm a little frustrated. It's a hard sell to people without access to printers; you can't get the main battle tanks (Preds, sicarans, Russes, non-specialized malcs) still, and stuff is split into really inconvenient amounts (marines 2 of each rapier/tarantula/dread loadout). Not even counting supply issues for what's been actually released for sale either. 

I was really hoping for more coming in a book that amounts to planned, ready at launch dlc. Like, more of the missing detachment slots to open the game up and provide the full potential of the formations (so pioneer isn't always strictly better than sub cohort). Guess we'll get to wait another 3 months for sabres or scorpii or whatever. And then who knows how long for the models.

Fully agree. I finally broke down and agreed to let my buddy print a bunch of things for me because I was sick of waiting. I’ll still get plenty of use out of the printed stuff, mainly Armigers because I’m not paying GW’s ludicrous price for theirs. It just sucks that we have to resort to this. As-is, he’s going to print me Warhound weapons because GW won’t re-release the original version and the new weapons are kinda trash barring the Swarmer. 

We’ll be forced to PO as much as we can next weekend because god only knows when we’ll see any of it again. 

Just now, VanDutch said:

Weirdly My FLGS has said they can pre-order the new models, but not the book or cards. Not sure I remember that ever being a restriction GW ever put in place before.

For what it's worth, Siege of Cthonia for 28mm 30k was Direct Only, so LI splatbooks being the same wouldn't be a big shocker after that. 

2 hours ago, Joe said:

I really wish they had not stopped listing the trade prices on the trade website. 

As there's now two topics. Here as well, prices in Euros:

Astartes Support: 40,-

Solar Auxilia Support: 40.-

The Great Slaughter Book: 40,-

Spartan Assault Tanks: 40,-

Malcador Infernus/Valdors: 40,-

Cards: 15,-

Edited by Matcap86

14 minutes ago, Matcap86 said:

Astartes Support: 40,-

Solar Auxilia Support: 40.-

The Great Slaughter Book: 40,-

Spartan Assault Tanks: 40,-

Malcador Infernus/Valdors: 40,-

Cards: 15,-

So I think the €40 would be the equivalent of £30 - to be honest, what was expecting :smile:

11 minutes ago, firestorm40k said:

So I think the €40 would be the equivalent of £30 - to be honest, what was expecting :smile:

For what it's worth the Rhino's and infantry boxes etc, are also €40, so whatever those are in pounds will probably be the pricing. 

On 2/11/2024 at 2:49 AM, Mandragola said:

And setting LI in heresy just seems weird too. The original reason for the heresy was that they only had to make one figure range if they did a civil war. But they *have* made two ranges for LI. I don’t have anything against the solar auxilia exactly but they’re hardly as interesting a faction as orks or eldar would have been. It feels like a deliberate choice to limit the scope of the game and prevent future expansion, which I can’t rationalise. 

I think the heresy still makes sense though.  I saw a list of 40k factions the other day, and counted 26 of them (including the various marine chapters with their own rules).  Excluding them would still leave about 20.  Whereas even if all the various 30k armies eventually get an LI release, you'd have about a handful (just marines, SA, mechanicum, militia, titans/knights, and talons, i think).  And all of them except for talons of the emperor can be played as loyalist or traitor

4 hours ago, BolterZorro said:

Is the book paper only or will there be a ebook too?

I am pretty sure they said there would be an ebook version before.  Since here is an ebook for the core rule book,I would expect expansions to follow as well.  At least I certainly hope so as I don’t want to have to carry around an entire library

11 minutes ago, Aarik said:

I think the heresy still makes sense though.  I saw a list of 40k factions the other day, and counted 26 of them (including the various marine chapters with their own rules).  Excluding them would still leave about 20.  Whereas even if all the various 30k armies eventually get an LI release, you'd have about a handful (just marines, SA, mechanicum, militia, titans/knights, and talons, i think).  And all of them except for talons of the emperor can be played as loyalist or traitor

Given all the complaining about how the armies were not even complete when LI released, I can’t imagine what people would say if it had been Epic 40K.  Imagine 4 armies with half as many units as they have now.  And then all the people that did not get their army released.  Rebuilding 40K epic would have to be from the ground up and would take a ton of model resources and rule support.  How long would people want to wait for their favorite faction and having more than 6 or 8 types of units for each army.  Each side in LI really only got about 16 units, if they had not had titans and aircraft it would be even worse for army options.

I dont think we could judge a proper version of epic by the current release, i mean its clearly gone wrong several times, i dont think they planned for this level of incompetence :D 

But yes, even if they focused on say, Orks and Space marines only at the release of Epic it has the potential to get the full range down the line, a stunted Heresy version never has that potential, nothing to look forward to if you want those factions, well aside from printing them and playing a different version of epic, which coincidentally is also still the best way to play Epic Heresy too because this launch has gone so completely wrong. :( 

Surely they would have gone down the same route as AI if they had gone for a 40K setting.  Start with one pair of factions, say Marines and Eldar and give them 6 months before the next pair.  I do wonder if the failure of AI may have made them nervous to make LI a 40K game whereas HH based AT was a success.  Would explain the odd squatting of a majority of the AI line.

One thing I do worry about here is the way the rules are being split across campaigns.  Already to play the full range of Malcadors you need two books and that is just variations on a tank.  It needs to be army lists split by faction not campaign or you have the real issue of needing 4 books just to play all the units you want whilst also carrying around rules for factions you don't play and campaigns you've never touched.  Every time I think I'll dip my toe on LI issues like stock and the way the release is being formatted make me think again.