Legions Imperialis: The Great Slaughter

I would have been pretty miffed if they decided to set LI in the 41st millennium while Titanicus was set in 30K, this invalidating all of my Titans and Knights (which by 40K would be extremely corrupted). Not only that, but if they followed the lead of AI we wouldn’t even see Chaos. That’s still a head scratcher to me…

It has always confused me why GW never took the Horus Heresy and did a Great Crusade supplement.  Sure a few factions don't make sense, and maybe Eldar are a bit weird, but I don't believe there isn't a market for Astartes Legion vs Ork Waaagh  You probably won't even need to release any new models for it, other than making sure people have access to MkII and MkIII power armour.

6 minutes ago, Black Cohort said:

It has always confused me why GW never took the Horus Heresy and did a Great Crusade supplement.  Sure a few factions don't make sense, and maybe Eldar are a bit weird, but I don't believe there isn't a market for Astartes Legion vs Ork Waaagh  You probably won't even need to release any new models for it, other than making sure people have access to MkII and MkIII power armour.

The Great Crusade is a perfect place to do a slow roll of Xenos factions. Do Orks to test the waters, then see if you can fit Eldar into a few boxes. Leave Primaris in 40K. Once this comes out we will know how they’ll be doing supplements for Battlefleet Heresy as well. 

I suspect its all licencing based stuff causing the issues tbh.  (Not a lwyer myself but based on decent explanations ive heard/read)

SGS is operating primarily within the "spin off" IPs like 30k, Warhammer, Necromunda and Blood bowl so anything they make is going to use them rather than AoS or 40k.

Then once a system/setting is locked into one IP they want to minimise crossover (For other reasons too!) so if they do a Necromunda licensed computer game or poster series, whatever then the licensee cant expand too far off that. So like, a Great Crusade expansion for 30k would indeed be awesome (Its still my preferred Heresy setting tbh) but then it properly adds Orks and Eldar to the game as battle factions and its all slippery slope.

Baaaah.

2 hours ago, Noserenda said:

I suspect its all licencing based stuff causing the issues tbh.  (Not a lwyer myself but based on decent explanations ive heard/read)

I think it probably has more to do with approval processes and how long it takes to do things. For example, and this is likely what happened with Aeronautica, the Eldar stuff for instance probably has to get approved by the 40k design team. Eldar in particular, likely by Jes Goodwin. That takes time, where you have to email some people, who have to do their normal work and have responsibilities they're supposed to be doing, and so it probably takes them a while to get to it. If they want something changed, then you have to change and do that all over again. That kind of process is quite cumbersome, so they may have decided to just avoid it.

I mean, it's been covered before, but adding 40k to epic is just unfeasible at this point. The amount of units and releases they would've had to do to get even close to a complete-ish roster of armies/options would take decades. With all the constant rage of people's specific niche group not being added during that time. 

Especially when looking at how they're struggling to fill out the 2 armies we got now.

SGS games don't get the allocations/resources that the mainline games get, and with that comes the freedom to be more "offbeat". As the investment risks are lower when these games flop. 

Setting it in the HH makes the investment lower, attracts an audience that has been loyal and known to heavily invest in that specific setting and makes it easier to create a "complete" roster of armies in the setting. Making for an overall far wiser investment instead of another long running productline that needs 100s of different SKU's to function properly as a product.

The fact that they can't even keep the initial launch in stock shows it was probably the right choice. It's almost an ideal situation for a seller; it's being sold as fast as they can make it.  

(side bar: the "why doesn't epic go 40k" is starting to become the "Primaris Argument" of Legions Imperialis topics at this point imho.) 

Edited by Matcap86

Looking at how poorly balanced Legions is (and with just 'human' factions) does anyone have any confidence that a new ruleset with alien factions will come even close to the previous versions of the game or community editions, as a balanced and fun gaming experience?

It's quite obvious to me Legions has been designed with resources stretched thin. Some very, very basic imbalances which would have become apparent with even minimal playtesting, and bits of the game that just don't work (and show to me a minimal understanding of what the made the previous games 'tick'). As much as I still enjoy the game, it's despite these things.

So in a roundabout way I am saying; if you want to play aliens, play a previous or community version of the game (or look at @apologist's version on this forum). You'll almost certainly get a better version of the game, one that has been properly playtested and balanced, for free, and without sitting there like Timmy at Christmas waiting for Scrooge to chuck a half-eaten piece of chicken gristle out of his window at you. :biggrin: (And which in all likelihood might not even ever arrive anyway).

It looks like they amended the way you resolve weapons against voids, which is nice.

I do kind of wish they included tanks, but I suppose it shouldn't be hard to do that on your own. And maybe it's for the best - I'm remembering how annoying PPC carriers in Battletech are.

Ya it's a little wild that they split the void shields rules into post launch dlc after years of them...just functioning that way with the exact same models.

Also kinda funny to see them trying to amend points for certain weapons, maybe they should have been priced individually in the first place or something? 

1 hour ago, tinpact said:

It looks like they amended the way you resolve weapons against voids, which is nice.

I do kind of wish they included tanks, but I suppose it shouldn't be hard to do that on your own. And maybe it's for the best - I'm remembering how annoying PPC carriers in Battletech are.

Hey, I have no problem if someone wants to field their tanks against my Titans. Can’t imagine it would be a long game lol

So I messaged my FLGS as soon as the pre-order was announced on Sunday, to let them know what I'd like to order from them Saturday. They've messaged to me today to say that GW have only allocated them one copy of the Great Slaughter book to the store for this pre-order. 

:blink::ohmy:

If it's similar at other FLGS, could be tricky to get hold of this supplement - good luck out there, frater..! :mellow:

5 hours ago, firestorm40k said:

So I messaged my FLGS as soon as the pre-order was announced on Sunday, to let them know what I'd like to order from them Saturday. They've messaged to me today to say that GW have only allocated them one copy of the Great Slaughter book to the store for this pre-order. 

Same here (South West UK). I messaged straight away and when they contacted GW first thing on Monday the Astartes Support box was already sold out, only one book per retailer etc. 

Well that’s just great, amazing job Geedubs…

I’m beginning to wonder if the same manager who made them kill off Epic despite it being popular is now in charge of production planning and fulfilment. 

Guess I better read up on all the tips for fighting through the GW website on a Saturday morning.

Surely there is a mix-up here and the 1 copy only thing is actually just the store copy to keep behind the counter for when the store wants to play games of LI? 

It's nuts otherwise; they'd have been better off doing direct only in that case so the FLGS doesn't have to piss off all but one customer. 

15 minutes ago, Lord_Valorion said:

1 Copy only for FLGS is confirmed worldwide. I don't know what GW is doing here.

Wow who called all the stores worldwide to confirm this?

My FLGS still has my order for 2 books open, (1 for me and 1 for my brother) so unconfirmed over here at the least. 

59 minutes ago, Valkyrion said:

Surely there is a mix-up here and the 1 copy only thing is actually just the store copy to keep behind the counter for when the store wants to play games of LI? 

It's nuts otherwise; they'd have been better off doing direct only in that case so the FLGS doesn't have to piss off all but one customer. 

While unlikely I also wouldn't be surprised if having the book available to FLGS was a mix-up and it was meant to be direct only. After all the core book and first two card packs also where direct only