1 hour ago, Marshal Rohr said:

If the command section is meant to represent Tactical and Line Command Sections that a huge kick in the balls. Unless there is a special weapon sprue coming for the companion options it’s pretty useless. 

On the bright side the weird magazine nutsacks are optional!

What I'm scared of is they are scuttling the companion sections in favor of a crappier squad. That will seriously nueter the armies potential. Companions fill the roles that are missing (CC veterans, Plasma Squads, Melta Squad dread hunters). Them using this as a catch all for the Legate command is a joke too. Why'd they even pull that unit from sale that captain just isn't fancy enough to be called a Legate Marshal and that banner isn't cutting it either.

24 minutes ago, OttoVonAwesome said:

What I'm scared of is they are scuttling the companion sections in favor of a crappier squad. That will seriously nueter the armies potential. Companions fill the roles that are missing (CC veterans, Plasma Squads, Melta Squad dread hunters). Them using this as a catch all for the Legate command is a joke too. Why'd they even pull that unit from sale that captain just isn't fancy enough to be called a Legate Marshal and that banner isn't cutting it either.

They’ve been immovable about changing anything in the Liber so the Lifewards may just be a stop gap to use this box until the next wave of Solar Aux with a true Lord Marshal model. 

40 minutes ago, Marshal Rohr said:

They’ve been immovable about changing anything in the Liber so the Lifewards may just be a stop gap to use this box until the next wave of Solar Aux with a true Lord Marshal model. 

I hope so. Im starting to worry about the Legion command squad now. I really hope it's not just a plastic upgrade sprue and has actual artificier armour bodies instead of just some loin cloths and special helmets.

In fact, the Tactical Command Section kit includes enough parts to build an extra Companion model – so if you have a spare base lying around, you could make a whole Line Command Section even without the Legate Marshal.

Why not include it then GW? Its a single base, that would cost you nothing

8 hours ago, Lord Marshal said:

So they finally made their minds up about it being a dual-kit for both Line Command and Tactical Command.

I have to say, I'm surprised. I think the kit works fine for a- well, Line Command Section, but it is a notable downgrade from the resin kit, especially the Legate/Lord Marshal. I know sacrifices were inevitable going from resin to plastic, but the resin Tactical Command just oozed character and with their lack of talking about it being a dual-kit until now, I fully expected a standalone plastic Tactical Command which more closely resembled the resin one.

You:

Nh6AocTtiNhqshyO.jpg

The Guy She Tells You Not To Worry About:

gw-99550105393_4.png?ex=65ef5308&is=65dc

Worth mentioning they've referenced a new unit coming in Bacon-Gammon at the bottom of the article, "you can also promote them to a personal Lifeward Section, entrusted with the Legate Marshal’s safety (and their spare weapons). You’ll soon find rules for these personal protectors in The Battle for Beta-Garmon."

How exactly these guys are meant to differ from a Companion Section is anyone's guess. WS5/BS5, Retinue and Cohort Vexilia/Command Vox? 

I'm not sure why they can't just keep the resin squad in circulation. It's not like Horus Heresy is trying to completely separate itself from it.

Why do they always have to cut so much out when doing these "remakes"? It's why I always get in a sour mood around them.

Even the other members were really neat models.

Had a real naval vibe.

image.thumb.png.8eb68d79c8d0e75bf3902e8a36327047.png

image.thumb.png.c77495ec983c195779c14e0b92fe1ea1.png

They both should have existed.

The other guys in the resin command squad are Velatarii and there is also a Veletaris Command section in the rules right? What are the chances they also release a Velatarii command squad that has an alternate build for a Legate commander with accompanying squad that is closer to the resin version?

Normally I would even say WarCom got something wrong and they meant Auxilia Marshal when they wrote Legate Marshal. As that one would be a direct upgrade to the Auxilia Captain in a Tactical Command Section so would fit the model we got here way better. But since the Thunder Hammer shown in the image is only available to Legate Marshals that's not the case.

Really strange how they mirror the resin squad perfectly for Legions Imperialis but then change it this much for the HH plastic release

Edited by Matrindur

31 minutes ago, Matrindur said:

The other guys in the resin command squad are Velatarii and there is also a Veletaris Command section right? What are the chances they also release a Velatarii command squad that has an alternate build for a Legate commander with accompanying squad that is closer to the resin version?

Normally I would even say WarCom got something wrong and they meant Auxilia Marshal when they wrote Legate Marshal. As that one would be a direct upgrade to the Auxilia Captain in a Tactical Command Section so would fit the model we got here way better. But since the Thunder Hammer shown in the image is only available to Legate Marshals that's not the case.

Really strange how they mirror the resin squad perfectly for Legions Imperialis but then change it this much for the HH plastic release

That doesn't stoke enthusiasm, as the Veletaris were the biggest downgrade of the release. (or at least "aesthetically controversial" if you don't agree that they look bad)

As for Imperialis, they likely just didn't have the new command squad sculpted when they were making imperialis ones. 

2 hours ago, Orion said:

As for Imperialis, they likely just didn't have the new command squad sculpted when they were making imperialis ones. 

What I'm surprised about is exactly that these two apparently weren't sculpted together. There are just some strange inconsistencies that I didn't expect for the same army released at roughly the same time just in different scales. 

For example looking the the Leman Russ both the LI and the HH version have the new front subweapon design that replaces the cloth cover on the resin version with a new armoured cover. So obviously the same idea for both. But then the side escape hatches on the LI version are the same as the old LR with raised edges and a lowered center. Meanwhile the new plastic LR has the whole hatch raised on top of the armour panel.

Its like different people worked on the same model but some of them talked to the HH team about the changes and some just did their own things

Aesthetically, it is a bit of a downgrade for the Legate Marshall. But on the other hand, you can now build an HQ choice with more than one weapon option straight out of the box... Multi-part plastic kids with good posing, interchangeable parts and a lot of weapon options are good, aren't they? 

Also don't have my Liber to hand, so is the 'Lifeward' upgrade new? If so, I guess that's a hint that there will be at least some changes to established units in the campaign book.

11 hours ago, Matrindur said:

Why not include it then GW? Its a single base, that would cost you nothing

Yeah this is wild.

1 hour ago, Astartes Consul said:

Also don't have my Liber to hand, so is the 'Lifeward' upgrade new? If so, I guess that's a hint that there will be at least some changes to established units in the campaign book.

Look at the sentence after that ^^

you can also promote them to a personal Lifeward Section, entrusted with the Legate Marshal’s safety.

You’ll soon find rules for these personal protectors in The Battle for Beta-Garmon.

19 minutes ago, USNCenturion said:

Be nice if they could devote some resources to doing more sculpts and regiments for 40K guard… 

Anyone know how well these scale to 40K?

I dunno, but since all the symbology is way different, esp with the armour, they might look out of place as guardsmen:ermm:

A bit lacking in movement speed and the missiles are meh, but that Melta Lance? Strength 8 with 2d6 for AP, and a +2 on the pen chart for AP1 (if I remember all that correctly) is sweet

70pts isn't half bad, especially given SA's notable absence of a Dreadnought-esq vehicle until now. That Toughness 6 / 5 Wounds / 2+ counts for a lot when the vast majority of the list dies to a strong enough gust of wind. 

In terms of armament, I think the Volkite loadout will win out while making for a strong alternative to Carnodons. The Carnodon currently does well as an anti-infantry platform that doesn't evaporate to a Return Fire (rip Veletarii), but sacrificing the sponsons for a much, MUCH more survivable profile will go a long way. That, and the Carnodon is still a big expensive block of resin, whereas every new SA player will probably have some of these bounding around. The Missile Battery being Twin-Linked helps alleviate SA's notable lack of Nuncio-Voxes. 

The Melta Lance looks very good on paper - note it has Armourbane (Ranged) not (Melta) despite the name - but most SA players are already using Vanquishers for their anti-armour and the Aethon has no pre-game moves helping it up the board despite being a Sentinel. Being able to sit back and avoid being stuck in combat will be important, because it's melee profile is pathetic and will be locked-downpretty easily (even if it won't necessarily die). 18" is uncomfortably danger-close, especially when it's slow hunk of metal... that and, you know, Vanquishers exist.

The only real downside is that it sits in the already very contested Heavy Support slot. I get why, from a lore perspective, they'd want to put it there when the Hermes will exist, but I still would have preferred to see it in the far less utilised Fast Attack (especially when the Carnodon was moved there, presuambly for that reason).

Edited by Lord Marshal

34 minutes ago, USNCenturion said:

I’m thinking an aesthetic like the Jantine Patricians maybe. They may approximate a unit like Vostroyans minus the bearskin hats. 

I dunno, literally anything to break up the Cadian monotony (I love Cadians, just need some diversity in the line)

My plan is to use them as whatever other infantry I'm running besides Cadian; so probably just as regular "infantry squad".  Really they'll just be whatever infantry they need to be that's less numerous than what I'm using my Cadian models for, since I've already got 40+ of those.

I don't agree that symbology means much of anything; Solar Auxilia may not exist, but there's plenty of factions that you could paint these guys up as that they'd be close enough, or just go HomeBrew with them.  I think they'd look pretty snazzy in a black scheme as an alternate Lucifer Blacks, then maybe run them as Scions?  Could probably mix and match some Cadian bits to bring them into 40k a little more and it'd look good.

1 hour ago, DemonGSides said:

My plan is to use them as whatever other infantry I'm running besides Cadian; so probably just as regular "infantry squad".  Really they'll just be whatever infantry they need to be that's less numerous than what I'm using my Cadian models for, since I've already got 40+ of those.

I don't agree that symbology means much of anything; Solar Auxilia may not exist, but there's plenty of factions that you could paint these guys up as that they'd be close enough, or just go HomeBrew with them.  I think they'd look pretty snazzy in a black scheme as an alternate Lucifer Blacks, then maybe run them as Scions?  Could probably mix and match some Cadian bits to bring them into 40k a little more and it'd look good.

You know they have never actually said that Solar Auxilia cohorts don't still exist in the 41st millenium. Never said what happened to them only that the Imperial Guard became the more standard formation after the heresy. To me it implies that there are still worlds and systems out there capable of raising regiments of Saturnyne equipped guard they just aren't common. I imagine you'd see them in the fleets of Rogue Traders, Terra and Ultramar.