so I think the box art for the legion imperialis leman russ is the 28mm resin with the new style front mount for the heavy bolter photoshoped on. it has the same track side design as the current 40k rus and the turret is the forge world model design and the bottom front edge has a roughness to it that I see in resin castings of that model that wouldn't make any sense if it was a 3d render.

last two things the front sponson has a different feel to the rest of the model like its base resolution is different (very subjective I know) and the new solar auxilia russ has substantially different side track designs.

most curiously is that the legions russ has the new solar aux front sponson design but it's hull and turret are spot on for the old forge world design. and I'm really curious when the two designs parted ways and why?

why does this matter you ask? it doesn't but find things like this fascinating.

Edited by Lurch119

Probably designed at different stages. I imagine the full solar aux one was done as a base for the legiones imperialis design then the main 30k one was altered after much like the assualt marines. Since one was realesed or at least teased many months before it stands that the legiones ones were finalized alot sooner as well.

12 hours ago, Doghouse said:

I regret researching these guys now, I'm completely sold on getting some of these at the absolute very least as allies.

Everyone should get these as allies at the least. Allies spice up lists.

• 4 weeks later...

Price (and I guess availability) depending, I’m probably gonna pick this up, it’s come at a good time with my payday this month having a load of back pay. 

6 minutes ago, Petitioner's City said:

I imagine it will be the same as the recent legion box? £130, was it?

I mean I’d love that, but it feels like there’s more in it (similar infantry, and then a dread and a tank vs the sentinel and 2 tanks). 

Facebook comments state that this is limited and a 2 week pre-order. I'm guessing they still need to clear a backlog so are spacing releases out, shame that we don't see the Malcador and the Velataris at the same time, but allows for people to save up for it.

1 hour ago, Fire Golem said:

I mean I’d love that, but it feels like there’s more in it (similar infantry, and then a dread and a tank vs the sentinel and 2 tanks). 

It is 25 Auxilia vs 30 Marines and special weapons. Assuming the Solar Aux sprues each have 5 fellows on them, it would add up to about the same amount of plastic, drop the special weapons, and 5 fellows for another vehicle. The Cadian sentinel got split across two sprues so the math all adds up. May be wishful thinking on my part though, I was bidding on the box being $210

11 minutes ago, Fire Golem said:

Saw these (USD) prices on Facebook. $210 I believe is what the Astartes battle group was? Very happy with that if so. 

IMG_8718.jpeg

All of those prices look very plausible.

I am thinking about grabbing one, though probably second hand once the fomo wears off for someone :D But ive been tempted to get back on my Guard tank project for a while and this covers the needed fleshsacks for troops :P Means i can run my SA as my Knight household troops or use these to make the army actual Solar auxilla :) 

Might grab one just to have a fancy Tank Commander and an alternate 20 scultps for whatever infantry I want to run instead of just non-stop Cadians.

The Sentinel is gorgeous to boot.  The other tank... I guess it can counts as a Chimera for my game?

Either way, great box at $210 (Which usually mean $170US at my local joint).