38 minutes ago, OttoVonAwesome said:

You know they have never actually said that Solar Auxilia cohorts don't still exist in the 41st millenium. Never said what happened to them only that the Imperial Guard became the more standard formation after the heresy. To me it implies that there are still worlds and systems out there capable of raising regiments of Saturnyne equipped guard they just aren't common. I imagine you'd see them in the fleets of Rogue Traders, Terra and Ultramar.

I think there's definitely enough wiggle room there to make the case!

I also think the Elucidian Star strider KT looks similar enough so you might be right in that direction too!

I doubt Solar pattern units survived the post heresy reforms, they are essentially replaced entirely by storm troopers after all. That said, half the point of the Imperial guard is that there are no defined uniforms or real organisational patterns, you could use the SA models as a 40k Guard regiment super easily.

1 hour ago, TheTrans said:

Any else love paying 20 points for a single lascannon shot hitting on 4s... meanwhile the contemptor/castra pays 20pts for 2 shots hitting on 2s... how's the balance yeah? 

You seem to have omitted the cost of the chassis there. The aethon is 70 points plus las for 90 points. Lastemptor is 195... The aethons are also incredibly durable for their points in an army of humans. You've taken one weapon arguably very out of context. The Aethon also comes with a missile array as standard too.

22 minutes ago, 01RTB01 said:

You seem to have omitted the cost of the chassis there. The aethon is 70 points plus las for 90 points. Lastemptor is 195... The aethons are also incredibly durable for their points in an army of humans. You've taken one weapon arguably very out of context. The Aethon also comes with a missile array as standard too.

Ok...every BS4 Lascannon vs every BS3 lascannon then mate, there you go..

Also..cavalry...can we take them in ZM where they are most needed. 

Definitely a use for these nice looking troops in 40K, It may be  just me but the green on the SA armour looks really bad :sick: as in it clashes and does not look great...  Is that scheme from way back or is it new?... I could think of so many better colours to use on them !! 

M. 

++EDIT++ sometimes GW picks the worst schemes for some factions/models...:confused: and then other times they hit right outta the park :woot:

Edited by MithrilForge

1 hour ago, TheTrans said:

This is nothing new when it comes to older warhammer rulesets. Points costs of things varied alot depending on what they are mounted on or what army they are in. I'm not entirely sure what the logic is but there is a method to it. It is definitely strange though since armour tends to pay less and the average for a lascannon for both Auxilia and Legions is about 10 points. Simply could be just to discourage people from taking the option to me it seems kinda silly to take the lascannon on a sentinel when I have tarantula's, rapier carriers, Carnodon tanks, Malcador/Annihilator tanks, Thunderbolts and Lightning fighters. The point of sentinels is that they aren't very static so the Incinerator and Melta lance options just look alot better in my eyes.

21 minutes ago, MithrilForge said:

Definitely a use for these nice looking troops in 40K, It may be  just me but the green on the SA armour looks really bad :sick: as in it clashes and does not look great...  Is that scheme from way back or is it new?... I could think of so many better colours to use on them !! 

M. 

It's an older scheme and yeah prolly the least eye catching one.

I mean, at least there's another source of ap2 for the army, and a rather durable chassis to jam it on.

But, pretending that it was actually a good unit, all it would have done is take the place of the rapiers or russes. It doesn't actually improve or change the options available; mass infantry and take quality heavy weapons in the heavy support slot.

And unfortunately, it's not that good. Despite having a really good statlines for 70 points, 90/95 points for a single bs3 melta or lascannon shot and the large blast is painfully bad. You look at a javelin paying 95 for two bs 4 lascannons and a heavy bolter, or 100 for two twinlinked bs 4 missiles and a multimelta, in the fast attack slot. But we can also just look at the laser destroyer rapiers to compare within the solar aux heavy support slot. Or the quad launcher rapiers if you want to go anti infantry.

If vehicles were a much bigger problem then the armourbane sans-melta would probably do a lot of work to reverse that. 

Also, kinda funny the militia sentinels are 5x more bulky than the heavy ones...

1 hour ago, SkimaskMohawk said:

I mean, at least there's another source of ap2 for the army, and a rather durable chassis to jam it on.

But, pretending that it was actually a good unit, all it would have done is take the place of the rapiers or russes. It doesn't actually improve or change the options available; mass infantry and take quality heavy weapons in the heavy support slot.

And unfortunately, it's not that good. Despite having a really good statlines for 70 points, 90/95 points for a single bs3 melta or lascannon shot and the large blast is painfully bad. You look at a javelin paying 95 for two bs 4 lascannons and a heavy bolter, or 100 for two twinlinked bs 4 missiles and a multimelta, in the fast attack slot. But we can also just look at the laser destroyer rapiers to compare within the solar aux heavy support slot. Or the quad launcher rapiers if you want to go anti infantry.

If vehicles were a much bigger problem then the armourbane sans-melta would probably do a lot of work to reverse that. 

Also, kinda funny the militia sentinels are 5x more bulky than the heavy ones...

They are also infantry so technically can ride in transports.

7 hours ago, TheTrans said:

? Not sure what you mean here but please don't patronise me with "mate".

As for ZM why do you need lascannons? If you're looking at dropping enemy dreads then single shot weapons at that cost really isn't the way to go.

The Aethon is hot garbage. You get a durable chassis, but without line or respectable guns that does nothing for you. 90 Points for a single BS3 Lascannon is a Joke. The Missile Launcher is a Joke. The alternative Hunter-Killer Missiles will routinely encounter a lack of targets (paying 20 points for them also isn't good). 

The Meltalance looks interesting on paper but you, once again, get a single BS3 Shot for now 95 Points, while also moving this thing, which has no way to defend itself in Melee closer to the enemy. 

It is absolutely mind-boggling that anyone thought this would be an adequate of rules for this thing

The first how to paint video is up on the official channel. I find those usually give some better definition and looks on the model.

All in all my opinion improved on the front of the model and the helmet designs, removing the lamp will get it a lot closer to the OG look. But I feel like the backpack really is too much of a downgrade compared to the resin. I can understand people wanting something simpler to paint 200 of, but a single cog and an oversized airvent is not it for me. 

14 hours ago, TheTrans said:

Any else love paying 20 points for a single lascannon shot hitting on 4s... meanwhile the contemptor/castra pays 20pts for 2 shots hitting on 2s... how's the balance yeah? 

You're paying 20pts to upgrade a double heavy bolter, or an incredible gravis fist to two lascannons, or a multilaser to a lascannon. But we all know contemptors are OP. 

A better comparison would be against a HSS for the single culverin upgrade (+10/+5) vs lascannons (+20/+10). We know lascannons are probably underpriced on the HSS, yes remain 2x the cost of the culverin so this seems reasonable/in line with other things.

53 minutes ago, Astartes Consul said:

This being up presumably means we'll start seeing the kits painted up by various content creators in the next few days. Quite looking forward to how various people approach the kits, tbh.

On Saturday

2 hours ago, Xenith said:

You're paying 20pts to upgrade a double heavy bolter, or an incredible gravis fist to two lascannons, or a multilaser to a lascannon. But we all know contemptors are OP. 

A better comparison would be against a HSS for the single culverin upgrade (+10/+5) vs lascannons (+20/+10). We know lascannons are probably underpriced on the HSS, yes remain 2x the cost of the culverin so this seems reasonable/in line with other things.

The problem is the total cost per hit. 90 points for 0.5 lascannon hits is simply abysmal considering that the platform has no other relevant qualities.

But it's competing (and losing) with Vanquishers for the anti armour heavy support slot, so I don't think running them with melta or las is viable, even if it were 50 points including the weapons. 

Rhino popping with autocannons, or weight of fire anti infantry is the way to go. T6, 5 wounds, 2+ is annoyingly good as you need dedicated fire to remove it, or waste your volcano cannon on one, or weight of fire it down. Either way, something isn't shooting at your other stuff, or is ignoring this. 

It's a distraction mosquito. 

7 minutes ago, Valkyrion said:

But it's competing (and losing) with Vanquishers for the anti armour heavy support slot, so I don't think running them with melta or las is viable, even if it were 50 points including the weapons. 

Rhino popping with autocannons, or weight of fire anti infantry is the way to go. T6, 5 wounds, 2+ is annoyingly good as you need dedicated fire to remove it, or waste your volcano cannon on one, or weight of fire it down. Either way, something isn't shooting at your other stuff, or is ignoring this. 

It's a distraction mosquito. 

The problem is that the cost of ignoring this thing is miniscule. It doesn't have the RoF to provide a credible threat against legion infantry and light vehicles are simply a rarity in this day and age (And better approached via lascannon).

22 hours ago, USNCenturion said:

I’m thinking an aesthetic like the Jantine Patricians maybe. They may approximate a unit like Vostroyans minus the bearskin hats. 

I dunno, literally anything to break up the Cadian monotony (I love Cadians, just need some diversity in the line)

21 hours ago, DemonGSides said:

My plan is to use them as whatever other infantry I'm running besides Cadian; so probably just as regular "infantry squad".  Really they'll just be whatever infantry they need to be that's less numerous than what I'm using my Cadian models for, since I've already got 40+ of those.

I don't agree that symbology means much of anything; Solar Auxilia may not exist, but there's plenty of factions that you could paint these guys up as that they'd be close enough, or just go HomeBrew with them.  I think they'd look pretty snazzy in a black scheme as an alternate Lucifer Blacks, then maybe run them as Scions?  Could probably mix and match some Cadian bits to bring them into 40k a little more and it'd look good.

Now I want to see what they look like with the lamp removed and using the Scion heads with berets.

I wrote up a not-now-that-hot take for Goonhammer, if anyone's interested.

I'm interested that so much of the chat here has been about the lascannon option. I agree that it's a pricey and inefficient option and it's one of the last things I'd give one of these. It's just very lacklustre. I think the volkite is nice if it's going to sit back and mess with enemy infantry, the flamer is the most fun option and the melta is very interesting. I know it's not reliable but imagine facing one of these - you clearly can't ignore the chance that it could pop your Spartan, but shooting it dead requires quite a bit of firepower.

Clearly, being a HS slot is a massive issue. It definitely doesn't compete well with vanquishers and rapiers. Actually I might be one of the few people who would prefer it as my main army is Raven Guard and, if I take the right RoW, the Aethon extends a 6" bubble of hatred. It could be genuinely useful to have this thing plodding around to make something like some contemptors or maybe a unit of Tartaros termies (I can't take Catas with this Rite) hate everything. It could even soak overwatch for them.

58 minutes ago, Mandragola said:

I'm interested that so much of the chat here has been about the lascannon option. I agree that it's a pricey and inefficient option and it's one of the last things I'd give one of these. It's just very lacklustre. I think the volkite is nice if it's going to sit back and mess with enemy infantry, the flamer is the most fun option and the melta is very interesting. I know it's not reliable but imagine facing one of these - you clearly can't ignore the chance that it could pop your Spartan, but shooting it dead requires quite a bit of firepower.

Clearly, being a HS slot is a massive issue. It definitely doesn't compete well with vanquishers and rapiers. Actually I might be one of the few people who would prefer it as my main army is Raven Guard and, if I take the right RoW, the Aethon extends a 6" bubble of hatred. It could be genuinely useful to have this thing plodding around to make something like some contemptors or maybe a unit of Tartaros termies (I can't take Catas with this Rite) hate everything. It could even soak overwatch for them.

My theoretical Penal Legion Solar Aux allies made by bashing necromunda weapons onto the new kits, for use with the RG rite, is getting closer and closer to a good idea.

7 hours ago, Mandragola said:

Shooting it dead requires one or two of the units most legion players use - a lascannon squad (or an autocannon squad dependent on the legion), or a sniper rifle recon squad. While they are much more expensive, these squads delete this from out of its range, then delete something else next turn.

It's - as with many auxilia options - much better against other auxilia and militia.