Which in itself raises another interesting issue - his obsession with Lycidius. I'd always assumed that Caphius formulated his obsession whilst he undertook his year's service in the Librarium. I'm not quite sure how he would've gotten the Hero's Mantle, though...

Well, the 5th edition rulebook states that in 801, the Astronomican flickered, sending thousands of ships across the Imperium off-course. Perhaps we can have Caphius waylaid for a while. I have had ideas for a Castigator being 'becalmed' within the warp-squalls of the Howling Stars. It might figure into my calculations.

The Doldrums scene from Master and Commander comes to mind.

... What I'd suggest is that you eliminate the 420.M41 date and just say he was inducted into the Chapter in 367.M41 before becoming a Captain on or around 455.M41 (A slightly more respectable 88 years). Ironically, that means he was a precocious and young Captain - just like Anteas, whom he gives a rough time!

As people often do when they see alot of themselves in someone younger ;) .

Now that I have all of my resources (minus Codexes) I will try to resume work on the third company fluff. Specifcally Sirius' actions against the Tyranids. To start I have one question: Have we come up with a name for the Tyranid Menace in the Howling Stars? I was thinking Hive Fleet Ammit, the Egyptian personification of Divine Retribution. Or since I belive it was decided to be a Kraken Splinter, Hive Fleet Hydra impliing again multiple tendrils but instead of them being led by lesser creatures they are led by Hive Tyrants, again alluding to the fact the each of the Hydra's head was intelligent and independent.

Now that I have all of my resources (minus Codexes) I will try to resume work on the third company fluff. Specifcally Sirius' actions against the Tyranids. To start I have one question: Have we come up with a name for the Tyranid Menace in the Howling Stars? I was thinking Hive Fleet Ammit, the Egyptian personification of Divine Retribution. Or since I belive it was decided to be a Kraken Splinter, Hive Fleet Hydra impliing again multiple tendrils but instead of them being led by lesser creatures they are led by Hive Tyrants, again alluding to the fact the each of the Hydra's head was intelligent and independent.

I especially like your second idea of naming the bulk of the Tyranid splinter fleet, though the name 'Hydra' seems a bit basic.

I'm not too sure, I'd have to look into it further. That said I had an idea playing off of the Hydra route of the Hive fleet's name, that it is a tendril of the original fleet. We could always use the idea of Cerberus, the multi-headed dog which guarded the gates of Hades, to prevent those who crossed the river Styx from ever escaping. (Taken from Greek and Roman mythology) We could somehow replace the river Styx with a counterpart in the 40k galaxy. Perhaps the Castigators themselves and other defenders of the Howling Stars could be seen as a Cerberus-like figure, guarding the Imperium against the Tyranid menace and the hive mind.

Therefore Imperial scholars have named the fleet 'Cerberus' in recognition of the hive fleet's identity and threat to the Imperium. The one thing I do like more about Hydra is that it seems to be a more vile and offensive creature, when compared to the three-headed watchdog. Either way it isn't too much of a problem. ^_^

Edited by Darth Potato

Oddly enough, after 34 pages of replies, If he hadn't planned to use that symbol all along...he probably knows about that by now....

(And I'd change you're signature sharpish too...)

Edited by Luku

After Caphius's first mission to search for survivors from the Black Consuls. He began to question the actions of his parent chapter and his homeworld beliefs. He went to the chapel to reflect and found himself standing before a statue of Lycidius. His reflection took him back to the time of his service with the Librarium. That his when his path and obsession with Lycidius started. He might have asked the chaplains for the Hero's Mantle and was told that he could only have it when Lycidius himself found Caphius worthy. So Caphius takes the 2nd on a crusade to prove his worthiness, while studying on info on Lycidius molding himself to try to become Lycidius's heir. Maybe taking the crusade along the path of worlds that Lycidius himself went.

What do you think?

Have you played any games with your gaming group lately? How have the 5th company faired in battle? I see that now you might want to map the Howling Stars?

Darth and Marshal2, What about using the name of the mother of all monsters? I can't remember the name, but it was the creature that gave birth to all monsters that plagued mankind.

This is one of the best IA's on the B&C, the only one that's better would have to be SCC's Brazen Claws. And they're a GW chapter, so they have SOME pre-established fluff. I really want my DIY renegades to reach this level. The Liber Traitoris is somewhat lacking. ^_^

You've also taught me this: Drawing Space Marines is one thing. Drawing them well is something entirely different. Did you draw Ancient Rhetoricus and the Chaplain or did somebody else? 'Cos if you did, they're both amazing ;) .

You've also taught me this: Drawing Space Marines is one thing. Drawing them well is something entirely different. Did you draw Ancient Rhetoricus and the Chaplain or did somebody else? 'Cos if you did, they're both amazing

I'm not sure who drew the Chaplain but I believe that Rhetoricus was drawn by Cpt. Tiberius.

Darth and Marshal2, What about using the name of the mother of all monsters? I can't remember the name, but it was the creature that gave birth to all monsters that plagued mankind.

Well according to Greek myth, it was the folly of a women named Pandora (who opened her box) that resulted in all the disease and hurt being set free on the world. So maybe Splinter Fleet Pandora (or a variation of it?)

Edited by Ferrus Manus

Pandora doesn't seem like such a viscious or evil name.

If I remember correctly, Pandora wasn't evil and she only opened the box due to her extreme curiosity. Thus letting all the evils of the world free and trapping hope inside.

So a Hive Fleet with the name Pandora sounds wierd, they accidentally rampaged and destroyed thousands of Imperial worlds?

Perhaps that monster from the oddysey? The one on the rocks that swooped its head down and ate his sailor guys? Can't remember the name srry :D

Or perhaps Hive Fleet Sangheli (the Covenant name for Elites, I know your not supposed to, but its a very distant relationship, also Elites are scary enough, now imagine them Tyranidified! ^_^

Pandora doesn't seem like such a viscious or evil name.

If I remember correctly, Pandora wasn't evil and she only opened the box due to her extreme curiosity. Thus letting all the evils of the world free and trapping hope inside.

So a Hive Fleet with the name Pandora sounds wierd, they accidentally rampaged and destroyed thousands of Imperial worlds?

Perhaps that monster from the oddysey? The one on the rocks that swooped its head down and ate his sailor guys? Can't remember the name srry :(

Or perhaps Hive Fleet Sangheli (the Covenant name for Elites, I know your not supposed to, but its a very distant relationship, also Elites are scary enough, now imagine them Tyranidified! :)

Scilla was the six headed monster which ate Odysseus' men in the Odyssey. However, I think Charybdis, the whirlpool which ate everything and regurgitated it a dozen or so hours later, would be an interesting name.

If you don't mind me throwing in my pennies, personally I think naming them after Halo Elites is rather clumsy.

Edited by KingHongKong

However, I think Charybdis, the whirlpool which ate everything and regurgitated it a dozen or so hours later would be an interesting name.

I really like that and I think it sounds cool enough; Hive Fleet Charybdis. What do you make of all this hive fleet naming madness, Molly?

Yeah Charybdis, sounds good cause it eats and regurgitates :) I couldn't remember what it was about other then a big whirlpool.

Like I said I just threw the Sanghelli idea out there cause i couldn't think of anything else :)

Just some points I thought I'd leave:

Karybdis is the moon where the fortress-monastery of the Iron Snakes is located. Very close to Charybdis so I don't know if that will have an influence on the name of the Hive Fleet.

The "Mother of all Monsters" you're looking for was Echidna. Other than being half giant snake, she was described as being quite beautiful. Also exceptionally evil. Sounds a bit like my girlfriend. *ehem* Moving on...

Typhon would be another option if you didn't mind it being Typhus's original name. He was the largest and ugliest of the monsters and had 100 serpent heads. Or maybe Argus, the monster with 100 eyes?

Karybdis and Charybdis are one in the same, and the name of the Iron Snakes fortress-monastery was news to me.

Argus was also Odysseus's dog renown for his patience, twenty years on a pile of crap waiting for Odysseus to return home just to keel over and die. So, I don't think that Hive Fleet "Patient" is all that hot.

Typhon would be another option if you didn't mind it being Typhus's original name. He was the largest and ugliest of the monsters and had 100 serpent heads. Or maybe Argus, the monster with 100 eyes?

I thought of suggesting Typhon too, but it solely reminds me of Typhus's original name so it wasn't as appealing as the other choices out there.

I'll have to join the "name throwing bandwagon":

What about the name of one of the Harpies? The screaming Harpies would fit better with the Howling Stars IMO :D

And Harpies and 'nids have a few common themes... Harpies were sent by Zeus to punish Phineas for his bad use of his talent of prophecy and "steal the food out of his hands before he could ever eat". The "unnamed" Harpies in several myths are likened to locusts, leaving nothing in their wake...

There is three named Harpies: Aello ("Squall"), who is also called Nicothoe ("Fleet of Foot"!), Ocypete ("Fast Flying") and Podarge ("Light Footed"), who is also called Celaeno ("Dark")...

I really like Nicothoe myself. Ok, it's not that "frightening" as a name, but the "hidden pun" is too good to pass :)

Edited by Nash Trickster