No, I've not done anything regarding the Howling Stars (nothing specific relating to planets, etc.) The main thing I want to do is to come up with a decent name for the Castigators' local forgeworld. Nothing I've brainstormed yet seems to fit. I'd like it if some of the random conversions I do can be explained away as being "XXX-Pattern equipment". :)

No, I've not done anything regarding the Howling Stars (nothing specific relating to planets, etc.) The main thing I want to do is to come up with a decent name for the Castigators' local forgeworld. Nothing I've brainstormed yet seems to fit. I'd like it if some of the random conversions I do can be explained away as being "XXX-Pattern equipment".

And don't forget about Legio Lux! :)

No, I've not done anything regarding the Howling Stars (nothing specific relating to planets, etc.) The main thing I want to do is to come up with a decent name for the Castigators' local forgeworld. Nothing I've brainstormed yet seems to fit. I'd like it if some of the random conversions I do can be explained away as being "XXX-Pattern equipment". :)

Skathia is a good name.

For the name of a Forge World I must propose a mythological name that hasn't yet been used by GW: Hephaestus (I give the latinized version of his name since it fits better with the 40k'verse than the Greek one).

Of course, using such a name directly can be a "bit risky" if GW one day decides to use it too... So you may want to use a slightly "diagonal" reference to the lame god of Forges, using one of his nicknames: Mulciber ("maker of iron") or Amphigyeis ("who limps with both legs")...

I'd go with Mulciber myself :tu:

Hey Molotov, I'm not sure if I've shown this to you before or not. I touched up a Castigators Banner for Dawn of War a few months back by adding a background flag, winged skulls in the corners and the Castigator symbol in the top left.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v401/Angel_Kairo/Warhammer%2040K/DoW%20Banners/Castigators_Banner3.png

This is a synopsis of a campaign I just played through. Castigators came in first! Although I was the msot experienced so I dont think it was that fair, but they still pulled their own admirably. Sergeant Solemnas is a beast needless to say. Third Squad was murder on those Orks. Captain Sirius was sadly lacking though, he died alot...

The Scouring of Lacion

The Adeptus Astartes are the most capable fighting force in the galaxy, capable of conquering worlds with one hundred men and one battleship. They are the glue that binds the Imperium together and protect it from its many enemies. The Astartes are not always fighting in Segmentum altering campaigns and are sometimes called upon to liberate worlds from Xenos and Traitors in their own territory. Such was the case with the Lacion sub-Sector in the Ultima Segmentum, the force of Warboss Gutzob had grown larger than the local defense forces could resist, and the Orks eventually expanded out into the sub-sector in a green tide the sector was not ready to crush. After sending for aid from all corners no less than two Astartes Chapter’s answered their plea, The Castigators and the Crimson Knights. The Castigators were the first to arrive and quickly took the Capitol of Lacion Primaris as the headquarters of the operation. When Captain Tomas of the Crimson Knights arrived he met with Captain Sirius and the two warriors began planning how to simultaneously defend the sector and drive the Orks back and eradicate them utterly.

The Crimson Knights would station a squad garrison on Lacion Primaris while the remaining Astartes Forces would begin taking back the Sector one planet at a time. The Castigators were charged with securing the planet Toth first. On Toth Greenskins were crushed by a token force led by Third Squad Leader Sergeant Solemnas was able to defeat the Ork Warboss in charge of the defense of the planet. From here the Castigators were to hold until the Crimson Knights liberated the two planets that would enable them to move on towards the planet Fordun, which had mysteriously fallen out of contact. Fearing more Ork conquest the Astartes pushed on at full strength, only two recorded engagements saw the Castigator withdraw before they could be overrun but luckily casualties were light. When they arrived at Fordun what they found was worse than they could have imagined.

A Renegade Iron Warriors faction known as the Hellhammers had take Fordun as his prize after being cast from the Maelstrom by Lufgt Huron himself for failing to capture a local Hive World. The Hellhammers had initially sparred with the Orks but now the two forces had joined in the face of their annihilation. The Siege of Fordun was fierce, Dreadnaught Godslayer fought in single combat with the foul Daemon Prince and did slay him after he felt the wrath of not only Godslayer’s Multi-Melta but the full firepower of Devastator Squad Asturias. As the battle came to close Tactical Squad Solemnas again proved their worth by charging forward and seizing the gate controls and the Genoratorum that controlled the gates to the Fortress allowing for the Armored Spearhead of Crimson Knights to rout the Hellhammers.

Unfortunately, Warsmith Varithrax and Warboss Gutzob were not among the slain. The Warsmith retreated to his personal Thunderhawk and burned for vacuum as soon as the Genoratorum was taken and Warboss Gutzob was seen climbing into the sewers. It remains to be seen if these enemies will surface again.

Edited by Marshal2 Crusaders

Hey Molotov, I'm not sure if I've shown this to you before or not. I touched up a Castigators Banner for Dawn of War a few months back by adding a background flag, winged skulls in the corners and the Castigator symbol in the top left.

Thanks! It's always nice to see people find the Castigators interesting enough to do things like that. If you've any pictures of the banner in-game, I'd love to see them.

This is a synopsis of a campaign I just played through...

Awesome, awesome. It's cool to see the Third Company doing so well. I'll hopefully be able to incorporate the Lacion campaign into the timelines. Are the Crimson Knights canon?

With regards to the forgeworld, I was thinking 'Mutara', in honour of the Nebula from The Wrath of Khan. It also fits very well as 'Mutaran-Pattern', something that is important to me.

KHAAAAAAAAAAAAN!!

I swear I just heard something... :lol:

In other news I've been working with Marshal2 Crusaders to detail some of the squads of the Third Company, and we've gotten quite far towards naming all the Company's squads.

Something that popped up in my discussions with Varen was the idea that an Ork Waaagh! had attacked Mutara, and that Caphius had been responsible for organising the defence of the Forgeworld. I'm keen to show that Orks can be a powerful force when organised, and that Caphius had to use all the skills at his disposal in order to dispatch them. It's also a chance for a massive scrap, with the Castigators conducting boarding actions to cripple and slow the Ork fleets before they reached the forgeworld. There's also a shedload of irony in Caphius having to defend the Adeptus Mechanicus (those tech-lovin' heretics!)

A bit of an idea dump here, stuff that needs sorting out but I need to get it online:

Castigators Timeline, 749-999.M41
YearNotes749.M41The War for Sadizar IX: At the behest of Inquisitor Krymlic, the Castigators exterminate a heretical cult on the hive-world of Sadizar IX. It is eventually discovered that a Tyranid Broodlord had infected the hive. Two squads of the First Company's Terminators, are deployed into the underhive. The Chapter fights terrifying battles in cramped tunnels, accessways, vents and ducts but emerges victorious.797.M41Death of Third Company Captain YYYYYY. XXXXX becomes Captain.815.M41Death of Fifth Company Captain Midian. Escalus becomes Captain.845.M41Death of Third Company Captain XXXXX. Sirius becomes Captain.856.M41The Belaxalar Xenocide: The world of Belax was stark, with an atmosphere high in gaseous ammonia and low in oxygen. Elaborate crystalline cities dominated the landscape, inhabited by the Belax, a young and belligerent race with advanced technologies. The Belax utilised birthing chambers, fluid-filled tanks that could hasten the development of the young. The technology had even been used to improve upon their anatomy, breeding warriors with armour plates, poison sacs, spiked knuckles and other such martial modifications. Vicious wars between the nation-states of Belax were not uncommon; indeed the only thing capable of uniting the disparate peoples of the Belaxalar would be an Imperial invasion.

Captain Caphius, at the behest of Chapter Master Avitus, conducted a Xenocidal campaign against Belax so that the Adeptus Mechanicus could conduct mining operations upon it. The Second Company fought a ferocious war against the Belax, before emerging victorious. By the time the Second Company left Belaxalar, all of the Belax had been utterly wiped out. The Adeptus Mechanicus abandoned the world less than a decade later, after finding that the ore extracted from the planet was not of sufficient quality to merit excavation.

899.M41Death of Avitus: Chapter Master Avitus is killed in battle. Before he dies, he names First-Captain Quintilius as his successor. 4th Company Captain Ostorius becomes First-Captain, Timon becomes Fourth Company Captain.900.M41The Garrett Insurrection: The entire Chapter mobilises to prevent the Word Bearers from activating an infernal device as the 'Eternal Engine'. Ancient Constantine unfurls the Crimson Standard of the Castigators and the Master's Household deploys into the fray. The Castigators, holding true to the Emperor's light, descend upon the Word Bearers, determined to punish them for their blackest heresies. After a week of fierce fighting, the Third Company stand ready to assault a breach in the enemy lines. Chapter Master Quintilius orders Constantine and a portion of his Honour Guard to fight at their head. He decrees that the battle would be won when the Crimson Standard is planted atop the broken bodies of the Word Bearers.

The breach was a swirling maelstrom, a seething press of bodies. Blood was a fine mist in the air, split only by the sound of blade against blade and the screams of the dying. Casualties on both sides were high, but the Castigators would not relent until they achieved victory. Ancient Constantine was wounded many times before succumbing. Blood poured from his injuries; it was clear that although he was grieviously hurt he would not give up. Raising the standard high, he roared his defiance and led the renewed assault. The Castigators fought determinedly against the Word Bearers, eventually achieving their victory. As Constantine lay dying, he passed the standard into the hands of Rhetoricus, one of his Honour Guardians. Rhetoricus was installed as the Chapter's Ancient, embodying millennia of unbroken tradition. Many of the Chapter's most dedicated and devout have borne the Crimson Standard into battle, through death, destruction and despair upon a thousand worlds. To the Castigators, it is a point of pride that the standard has never fallen to the ground, passing directly from one warrior to another.

The pride the Castigators took in thwarting the Word Bearers was far greater than it could've been against any other force. No Space Marine ever feels so alive as standing victorious over their fallen Brothers, and the enmity between the Castigators and the Word Bearers is great indeed.

923.M41Death of First-Captain Ostorius. Fifth Company Captain Escalus becomes First-Captain, Cascarus becomes Fifth Company Captain.939.M41The Zarath Strand Reprisals: The Fourth Company aids the Thousand Swords and the Judicators in crippling two Ork Waaagh!s threatening a vital Imperial shipping route. In a ferocious boarding action, the Castigators dispatch Warboss Grimskar. The Castigators withdraw, leaving the Thousand Swords to eradicate the last vestiges of Ork resistance.985.M41: Warboss Duffdreg da Destroya rises to prominence among several Ork clans within the Howling Stars. Duffdreg is distinctive in that he is an albino - the primitive xenos believe that his white skin marks him out as the chosen of their Gods, and unite behind his singularly bellicose vision. Rallying his forces, entire worlds fall in a few short weeks. The Castigators move quickly to halt the Ork threat. The Second Company fought valiantly, scoring victory after victory. The Ork forces retaliated, bringing their full force to bear. The Second Company advanced on Duffdreg's forces, combat-squads using their flamers to scour the aliens from defending positions before closing into combat. Few of the Company emerged unscathed from the campaign. Caphius himself was grievously wounded, but refused to allow the Apothecaries to tend to him whilst the xenos forces still posed a threat to the citizens of the Imperium. The Warboss managed to elude the Castigators, escaping into the warp. All the same, however, his assault upon the Howling Stars was over, and that was considered victory enough. Still, the Chapter would swear fell oaths of vengeance against Duffdreg, determined to crush him should their paths cross again.987.M41The War of Woe: To avenge the losses eighty years earlier, a force of Word Bearers under the command of a Dark Apostle known only as 'The Father' engineers a plot to trap and destroy the Castigators. The Fifth Company suffers heavy losses, including the death of Captain Cascarus, but with the aid of the Space Sharks, the newly-installed Captain Anteas is able to thwart the Word Bearers. Believing that the Father wishes to recreate the Eternal Engine, the Fifth Company fights against a daemonic incursion to avenge the fallen - only to find that the Apostle only intended to inflict heavy casualties on the Castigators and mire the Fifth Company whilst a heavy raid was conducted by the Black Legion against the planet of Vatrax.989.M41Commander Quickblood: Acting in conjunction with the Ordo Xenos and a strike-force of the Deathwatch, the Fourth Company under Captain Timon strikes at Tau space. They are opposed by Shas'O Tash'var Raal, known as Commander Quickblood.990.M41The Achenite Apostasy: Fifth Company thwart a heretic insurgency on the world of Achenar. Assault Sergeant Atellus executes the Planetary Governor and finds out that under ancient laws, he had become his inadvertent successor. Atellus quickly abdicates his position, though his Brothers are sure not to forget his acute embarassment.992.M41The Second Tyrannic War: Hive Fleet Kraken // Captain Sirius focuses his attentions upon on the Tyranid menace, a continuation of the Third Company's prior actions against Genestealer cults within the Howling Stars.994.M41
  • The Oubliette: The Third and Fifth Companies fight in the defense of an Inquisitorial citadel besieged by a splinter of the Iron Warriors legion engage led by Warsmith Ares Vrolok. Cast out from the Iron Warriors, Vrolok had fought for ten thousand years to further his own aims, leading those loyal to him on a rampage across many worlds, gathering renegade Marines to his cause. Vrolok attached and besieged the Inquisitorial Fortress-world of Tynax after hearing rumours that precious STC fragments had been recovered by the Inquisition. An avid technophile, Vrolok was determined to have the fragments for himself, and assaulted Tynax. The Fortress was defended by a small contingent of Adepta Sororitas, attached to the personal retinue of Inquisitor Lord -------.

The Castigators' Third Company assaulted the Iron Warriors in an effort to delay the traitor Marines. Whilst battle raged, elements of the Fifth Company helped organise a rapid evacuation of the Fortress, ferrying the STC fragments to safety. The Techmarines hastily rigged charges within the fortress, designed to annihilate intruders. The Castigators retreated as soon as the relics were safe - the Captains knowing that the Space Marines would only dash themselves to pieces if they resisted the Iron Warriors for too long. After the battle, Captain Anteas received the Sword of Sorrows from a Canoness of the Adepta Sororitas.

• The Fifth Company is blown off course after departing Tynax, and put in at Karthagot Nova for repairs, becoming the first Castigators in millennia to visit the Thousand Swords' homeworld. While there, they are invited by Chapter Master Zeuxis to join in the extermination of a Dark Eldar kabal.

995.M41The War for Maethax: The Second and Fifth Companies engage Word Bearers on Maethax, a densely populated world in the northern reaches of the Ultima Segmentum. A dark and troubled world, Maethax's numerous manufactora produced weapons and other materiel for local Imperial Guard forces. When the Castigators received news of an armed insurgency on Maethax, they dispatched the second and fifth companies to respond. If the production centres of Maethax were disrupted, forces for sectors around would be compromised. When scouts uncovered evidence that the Word Bearers were involved, the campaign became even more vital to the Castigators. This marked the third time in a century that The Father had assaulted the Castigators in order to further his own inscrutable aims.

After a ferocious six-month campaign, the Castigators were triumphant. The battles on Maethax had been bloody; the Fifth Company participated in bloody street-fighting to recapture the city of Bacchat. Bacchat was a dismal place, blanketed by the roar of machinery and sporadic showers of acid rain; nevertheless, it was a vital strategic point, and the Castigators fought mercilessly to reclaim it - an attitude that won them the campaign. At the height of the campaign, Captain Anteas avenged the death of Cascarus by killing the Father. After the battles for Maethax, the second and fifth companies returned to Losanco triumphant. Having dealt the heretic sons of Lorgar a blow that would surely be felt within the Eye of Terror itself, Captains Caphius and Anteas were lauded for their strategic acumen, and began the process of rebuilding their Companies from the reserves.

997.M41
  • The Pursuit of Melchor: Anteas and the Fifth Company attempt to hunt down the Black Legionnaires that raided Vatrax. Pursuing Melchor to a desolate world within the Tau Empire, Anteas was unable to prevent him descending into a subterranean crypt and retrieving a daemon-axe known as Soulrender. The Fifth Company is forced to retreat in the face of overwhelming Tau forces, and leaves the traitors and the xenos to do battle.
  • The Undertaking to Sirroij: Master Quintilius dispatches the Third Company to the world of Sirroij after the Castigators receive word that the planet's promethium miners had lain down their tools. The Castigators had somewhat of a stake in Sirroij - the planet's mines provided the Chapter with much of its promethium requirements. Industrial disputes on Sirroij could compromise the Castigators' ability to wage war. Captain Ramus, the Chapter's Chief Victualler, was tasked with resolving the Sirroij by any means necessary. To achieve those ends, the Third Company and Captain Sirius were to support him.

998.M41The Fourth Company is lured back to Tau space, where Shas'O Tash'var He'yth Mont'da R'myr - Commander Darkspear - attempts to avenge the death of his mentor, Commander Quickblood.999.M41The End Times: As the new millennium approaches, Doomsday Cults begin to spring up across the worlds of the Howling Stars. Governors place their PDF forces on alert. The Warp becomes tempestuous and difficult to navigate.

An Eldar Craftworld is seen with increasing regularity across the Howling Stars - auguries suggest it may well be the Craftworld Kuraan-Baal.

Rumours circulate that The Father has returned to the mortal plane as a Daemon Prince - that his death at the hands of Anteas has only furthered his aims.

News reaches the Castigators that Abbadon the Despoiler has assaulted the Cadian Gate and unleashed his Thirteenth Black Crusade.

Chapter Masters of the Castigators, 749-999.M41
NameFromToNotesQuintilius899.M41999.M41Current Chapter MasterAvitus???.M41899.M41None at present

First Company Captains of the Castigators, 749-999.M41
NameFromToNotesEscalus923.M41999.M41Current First-CaptainOstorius899.M41923.M41KIAQuintilius---.M41899.M41Became Chapter Master upon death of Avitus

Second Company Captains of the Castigators, 749-999.M41
NameFromToNotesCaphius---.M41999.M41Current Captain

Third Company Captains of the Castigators, 749-999.M41
NameFromToNotesSirius845.M41999.M41Current CaptainCaranatus797.M41845.M41KIATyranus---.M41797.M41KIA

Fourth Company Captains of the Castigators, 749-999.M41
NameFromToNotesTimon899.M41999.M41Current CaptainOstorius???.M41899.M41Became First-Captain in 899.M41

Fifth Company Captains of the Castigators, 749-999.M41
NameFromToNotesAnteas987.M41999.M41Current CaptainCascarus923.M41987.M41Killed by Word Bearers, 987.M41Escalus---.M41923.M41Became First-Captain in 923.M41Midian---.M41---.M41Interred within Dreadnought, ---.M41

---------

The Castigators Chapter, 999.M41

Chapter Master's Household

Chapter Master Quintilius

Ancient Rhetoricus, bearer of the Crimson Standard

Honour Guard, led by Seneschal Acerbus

Reclusiam

Chaplain Renatus, Master of Sanctity

The Forge

Atellus, Master of the Forge

Librarium

Senior Epistolary XXXXXX, Chief Librarian

Apothecarion

Apothecary-Primus XXXXX

Chapter Fleet

• Battle Barges:
    • Sacred Endeavour

• Holy Enterprise

[*]Strike Cruisers

• Inviolate (Captain Mithras)
    • Thrice-Blessed Sword
    • Defiant
    • Ascendant
    • Radiant Light (Helmsmaster Carcus)
    • Assorted escort vessels

Company I

Captain: Escalus

• Titles: First-Captain, Regent of Losanco
  • Heraldry: A clenched fist holding a whip.
  • Wargear: Power sword (Purgator)

Company Standard: The Crux Terminatus, with the Chapter Symbol in a circle at the centre

Company Chaplain: Coratus, 'Karakalla'
Command Squad:
Squad I (Terminator): Battle-Sergeant Caius
Squad II (Terminator): Battle-Sergeant Fautor
Squad III (Terminator):
Squad IV (Terminator):
Squad V (Sternguard):
Squad VI (Sternguard) 'Paragons': Veteran Sergeant --------
Squad VII (Sternguard):
Squad VIII (Sternguard):
Squad IX (Vanguard):
Squad X (Vanguard):
Squad XI (Vanguard):
Squad XII (Vanguard):

Company II 'FIREBRANDS'

Captain: Caphius

• Titles: Master of the Watch
  • Heraldry:
  • Wargear: Hero's Mantle

Company Standard: A twin-headed eagle tearing a snake in half

• Company Chaplain: Nicodemus
  • Command Squad:
    - Senior Veteran Sergeant Soren
    - Apothecary Janus
    - Standard Bearer Tyrus
    - Codicier Gavius
  • Squad I (Tactical) 'Witchbane': Sergeant Arius
  • Squad II (Tactical) "The Devout": Sergeant Pius
  • Squad III (Tactical) 'Rampagers': Sergeant Taurin
  • Squad IV (Tactical) : Sergeant Castus
  • Squad V (Tactical) 'Purifiers': Sergeant Lucan
  • Squad VI (Tactical): Sergeant Remus
  • Squad VII (Assault) "Crimson Hammers": Sergeant Brutus
  • Squad VIII (Assault) "Eviscerators": Sergeant Marius
  • Squad IX (Devastator) 'Siegebreakers': Sergeant Valerian
  • Squad X (Devastator) 'Merciless': Sergeant Korvin

Associated Elements:

Honoured Ignatius, Venerable Dreadnought

Company III 'LIGHTBRINGERS'

Captain: Sirius

• Titles: Master of the Arsenal
  • Heraldry: A Starburst
  • Wargear: Power sword (Lux Videbis)

Company Standard: A Supernova - at the centre rests a stylised steel skull

• Company Chaplain: Argentus
  • Command Squad 'The Patriarchs':
    - Senior Sergeant Tarandas
    - Apothecary Gratus
    - Lexicanium Licinus (attached from Librarium)
  • Squad I (Tactical) 'Torchbearers': Sergeant Meridius
  • Squad II (Tactical) '-': Sergeant Deiad
  • Squad III (Tactical)'Illuminators': Sergeant Solemnas
  • Squad IV (Tactical) 'Vanquishers': Sergeant Xerian
  • Squad V (Tactical) '-': Sergeant Barrus
  • Squad VI (Tactical): Sergeant Hiberus
  • Squad VII (Assault) 'Eagle's Claws': Sergeant Asprenus
  • Squad VIII (Assault)'Venerators': Sergeant Torquatus
  • Squad IX (Devastator) 'Hammers of Dawn': Sergeant Asturias
  • Squad X (Devastator) 'Iron Guard': Sergeant Eclectus

Company IV

Captain: Timon

• Titles: Master of the Fleet
  • Heraldry:
  • Wargear: Power sword (The Blade of Thorns), Combi-Plasma Gun (The Chastener)

Company Standard: The Downwards-Pointing Blade of Thorns

• Company Chaplain:
  • Command Squad:
  • Squad I (Tactical):
  • Squad II (Tactical):
  • Squad III (Tactical): Veteran Sergeant Acacius
  • Squad IV (Tactical): Sergeant Erastus
  • Squad V (Tactical):
  • Squad VI (Tactical):
  • Squad VII (Assault):
  • Squad VIII (Assault):
  • Squad IX (Devastator):
  • Squad X (Devastator): Sergeant Viator

Company V 'SHIELD-BEARERS'

Captain: Anteas

• Titles: Master of the Marches
  • Heraldry: A quartered shield bound by chains.
  • Wargear: Power sword (The Sword of Sorrow)

Company Standard: A whip striking

• Company Chaplain: Punitus
  • Command Squad:
    - Senior Sergeant Caetrus
    - Standard Bearer Bericus
    - Codicier Acastus (attached from Librarium)
    - Apothecary Decius
  • Squad I (Tactical) 'The Champions': Sergeant Tanthus
  • Squad II (Tactical) 'Traitor's Bane': Sergeant Optimus
  • Squad III (Tactical) 'The Gatekeepers': Sergeant Vitus
  • Squad IV (Tactical)'The Excruciators: Sergeant Meridius
  • Squad V (Tactical) 'Grudgebearers': Sergeant Phaedrus
  • Squad VI (Tactical) 'Honourbound': Sergeant Eleus
  • Squad VII (Assault) 'Conquerors': Sergeant Atellus
  • Squad VIII (Assault) 'Blooded': Sergeant Justus
  • Squad IX (Devastator) 'Thunderers': Sergeant Tibius
  • Squad X (Devastator) 'Levellers': Sergeant Aulus

Company VI 'PUREHEARTS'

Captain: Ramus

• Titles: Master of the Rites
  • Heraldry: A heart wreathed in thorns
  • Wargear:

Company Standard:

• Squad I (Tactical):
  • Squad II (Tactical):
  • Squad III (Tactical):
  • Squad IV (Tactical):
  • Squad V (Tactical):
  • Squad VI (Tactical) 'The Crusaders': Veteran Sergeant Maximinian
  • Squad VII (Tactical):
  • Squad VIII (Tactical):
  • Squad IX (Tactical):
  • Squad X (Tactical):

Company VII

Captain: Lucien

• Titles: Chief Victualler
  • Heraldry:
  • Wargear:

Company Standard: An hourglass

Company VIII 'WINGED DEATH'

Captain: Tigris

• Titles:
  • Heraldry: A winged axe
  • Wargear: Power-axe (Victrix)

Company Standard: Crossed Swords

[*]Command Squad Tigris -

Edited by Commissar Molotov

Mol, i didn't see any of the 2nd company history. Did you not included it until we have it more narrowed down?

With the ork Waaagh! attacking Forgeworld Mutara. I have several ideas, but i need to know what Caphius had at his disposal. What companies were involved from the Castigators? What fleet assets did they have? Any Imperial Guard, Imperial Navy allies, or was this an in-house affair? What assets does the Legio "Lux" have? How many of each titian?

You're right - I haven't added in anything from our Second Company dicussions. In part that's because I don't know how to date it. We need to come to some consensus just how long Caphius has been Captain of the Second Company. Your thoughts here are welcome. Obviously he needs to have been Second Company Captain in 899.M41 when Quintilius was made Chapter Master and Orosius was made First-Captain over Caphius. Once there, we can start to work out some of the Caphian dates.

With regards to Mutara, it's likely Caphius would've had a number of Castigator Companies - perhaps 400 Marines. That lets the rest of the Chapter patrol the Howling Stars. They would've had a number of strike cruisers or battle barges. I can't be too specific (yet). It's possible some of the Navy would've been used. Not sure about the Guard, per se, though the defence forces of Mutara would've been mobilised. Skitaari, Tech-Guard, and the Titans of the Legio Lux. I'm not sure on the size of a Legio, though - I'll have to do some research.

We also need to decide the progression of the Waaagh - did it make it onto Mutaran soil? Did they attack any other worlds on their way to Mutara? (Likely - it's probably how the Imperial forces could tell where they were going.) How much damage did the Castigators do in their naval actions? All of that will determine what role Caphius had in the defence of Mutara.

Would the third have been there?

Also what Hive Fleet would Sirius be fighting? I dont really know where the howling stars are so I can't say shich one. it would be Leviathan for sure because they are as far away as the Tau. The new one Jormugandr might be a believable one since noone knows what the look like or where there are from.

Well, there's always the 'Splinter Fleet concept. As for the Tau, the Castigators are within reach of the Tau Empire, but they're not near Tau space. I made the concession to those people who play Tau players (I'm one of them) but it's important to remember the Tau are relatively insignificant - I saw that and I try to qualify my statement by saying 'relatively insignficant in 999.M41' - in the forthcoming millennia I can see them becoming the successor to the Imperium, but for now...? No.

We know that the Howling Stars are somewhere in the Ultima Segmentum, towards the Eastern Fringes but relatively central.

Edited by Commissar Molotov

Although the Imperium had survived another onslaught [Kraken] by the Tyranids, an unknown number of splinter fleets managed to push through the defences and now devour unexpecting worlds. Running battles with these splinter fleets have tied up the eastern fringe ever since Kraken first arrived.
Edited by Ferrata