Night Lords 18th Battle Company (Treadhead)

Wow man... wow.. seldom have I seen so many masterpices in one army. Damn I don't know where to start.. I love every single one of the convertions and your style with lots of stuff is great without going OTT, I really can express how inspiering these are.

The use of bitz from so many different boxes makes them exceptionally good and the dynamic posés combined with unique convertions (such as the oblits) will sure inspire and set a new trend of converting á la Dan

Well Saved all the pics in a folder and will use it as inspiration for comming minis, just wanted to thank you for sharing and for being a great source of inspiration. Keep it up!

Hey guys!

Thanks for all the great replies. Reading such motivational stuff from outstanding hobbyists is very inspiring.

After a long weekend out of town i decided to get back into the groove with a new weapon team. Within minutes i was carving gouges out of my fingers and drilling holes into them. It took me a little bit more time to get back into things but i really like the end result of this team. I modeled it to be the second member of the elite special weapons scouting teams. Each two man team is made up of one member of each legion to further their expertise in any given situation. I gave them all the tactical bells and whistles i could find.

I'm using 1mm plasticard and some rod in some hidden places.

Less talk more models? Nobody reads the text anyways... :(

gallery_31335_1757_12435.jpg

gallery_31335_1757_5538.jpg

gallery_31335_1757_14107.jpg

gallery_31335_1757_10792.jpg

gallery_31335_1757_4553.jpg

gallery_31335_1757_34548.jpg

Next up on the agenda is re-doing my zerk squad. I'm going to use my old one as a pre-heresy night lords squad. They won't find much play time after they've been replaced. A shame ;)

I'm thinking about doing the zerks along the lines of how i did my wraiths. The wraith squad was built around an idea. Skeletons are scary, ghosts are scary, and monsters are scary ;)

I want to make the zerks look like Night lords, who want to look like beasts. Werewolves, and varghulf looking disguises. it should fit their theme as being Zerks like wraiths fit plague marines.

What do you guys think?

For your 'zerks, the obvious thing would be stylized fanged skull-masks and big Khorne-ear batwings, but that's too easy. I like where you're going with the werewolf idea - maybe crib ideas from assorted werewolf and vampire legends? And definitely go full-body with whatever stylization you go with. A scary werewolf helmet is one thing, but what if the dude in question is wearing furs and skulls and so forth? Maybe he has huge knives embedded in the paws of an animal pelt that he wears stretched over his hands. You want those hapless Imperial citizens terrified, thinking that the monsters of legend have come to devour them!

And there are tons of monsters to choose from. Cerberus, the three-headed dog that guards the gates of Hades? What about Medusa (for a cute little Alpha-Legion tie-in, what with the numerous snakey heads :()? Sea serpents, devils, the undead, chupacabra, the Black Dog, golems and dybbuks, the possibilities are nigh-endless!

Furs, totems, and claws are pretty much where i was going. I hate to do it this close to the space wolf release though. Their bits would be a perfect application but i think it'd be the easy way out. I may be doing a lot of sculpting to get them done right.

Maybe i'll do a mix of deamon/beast squaddies. Furry deamons, scaly beasts. I'm going to take a couple days to collect ideas, make bodies, and order bits before I start churning them out. I don't want to replicate some marines I've already made. Most of them could be thrown into a squad and called zerks pretty easily. I have to make something new

Bar = Raised

You could do the Native American idea of skin-walkers, which would make sense, as it goes a lot along the idea of the traditional Viking Berserkergang. Becoming the totem animal by wearing it's skin. With the new Space Wolves box, you have a lot of wolf skins in there, but I'd go more with bears or whatnot, as they are more powerful animals. Just an idea I'd pass along, look up Skin-Walker if you get a chance. Cool lore.

These look awesome, for the Berzerkers have you ever watched the Antonio Banderas movie 13th Warrior, the enemys in that dress like great bears it could give you some ideas, i have always wanted to start a WHFB army of Marauders in the same style.

Keep up the great work

Cheers

Once again, great work. Take all the time off you need. Sometimes it helps to recharge a little.

have you got some Chaos Warhounds or Dire Wolves? Those kits might be helpful with the furry beast idea.

Biohazard has a good point with the Wendol in the "13th Warrior" (from Michael Crichton's book "Eaters of the Dead" - great book) using cave bears as their totem.

I can envision lots of wrist blades, and predator poses from this bunch.

I'm leaning towards huge and brutal beast marines. Predator poses is something i've wanted to do for a while. I think i'm going to concentrate on raw strength and brutal power. While most of my Night Lord force is tactical and of sound mind i want the zerks to be huge, angry, brutal machines. Striding towards their enemies arrogantly and butchering everything in their way.

I rented a couple movies tonight. I couldn't get a hold of 13th warrior. I got pathfinder, and a couple other movies with some potential. I also put my bits order in today and sometime next week i should have the first marine done shortly after.

Cav i actually ordered a while box of chaos warhounds. What i don't use i'll stick into my Vamp counts army or something. It looks like an awesome box

Pathfinder does have some brutal imagery that could fit pretty well in the whole Berzerker theme. Cant wait to see what you come up with

Hopefully this link works its a pic of one of the Wendol to give you an idea

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/a/a1/Wendol.png

Edited by Biohazard

Finished some initial work on my first Zerk Counts as. I ironed out some fluff for them in my head while i was carving away too. I didn't want to post this guy until he was finished but I'm so darn happy with him i couldn't keep him off the boards. I tried a lot of new stuff with him and all the results have been pleasing.

This is my Keeper of the hatred. He is the senior Dark Chaplain to my detachment. He is not a chaplain of the dark faith, or the emperors word. He is a chaplain of hate and purity. He keeps the legion sane and directs their hatred towards the fall of the imperium. He is the word who you must silence to follow the dark gods in my war band. Those who attract the eye of a chaos god and want his favor have to kill him in combat. Those who fail surrender their souls not to the gods, but this avatar of hate. He conditions them to direct their attention towards utter destruction of the companies enemies.

Before any of you freak out about a chaplain in the Night Lords. Consider Chaplain Iktinios of the soul drinkers preaching freedom from tyranny to his men (along with something else :tu: ), and the dark chaplains of the word bearers who preach the book of lorgar. I wrote this fluff for the Night Lords, and have built a model. If you disagree with the fluff feel free to write your own. Please do not waste your time trashing mine. :nuke:

Fluff disclaimer over, Model time.

gallery_31335_1757_42845.jpg

gallery_31335_1757_4555.jpg

I wanted to make sure he was HUGE

gallery_31335_1757_6388.jpg

Like i said he's not totally finished. I'm still waiting on all my bits to come in and i should be making progress early next week.

Thanks for all the inspiration on beast/animal lore. I'm using a ton of it and these guys are much easier than the wraiths were because of it.

Thanks for looking!

Dan

NICE!!

And I totally dig the background story. Screw the chaos gods (and the fluff =][= folks), your guys just Hate, EVERYTHING!! it's a nice change of pace from the norm with chaos space marines. And gets back to the roots of the Night Lords.