Night Lords 18th Battle Company (Treadhead)

Here's the 2nd melta for 2nd squad

gallery_31335_1757_18615.jpg

...Also here's a guy who gets some attention when i can give it. some say he's a pretty fun guy to be around. He will be wearing dark blue instead of red.

gallery_31335_1757_189.jpg

Just when you think this thread can't possibly get anymore awesome, you pull off this Melta conversion! :) B)

This Champion/Lord/Character/whatever conversion looks pretty special too :)

Outstanding work B)

gallery_31335_1757_7168.jpg

Okay, working on modifying this model to a deamon prince for the Night lords i'm making. i'm working on adding some old power armor where i can fit some and i just finished the chest about 2 hours ago. problem i've just run into, hindsight being what it is, is that the edges of his power armor go all the way up into his armpits. That is somewhere he doesn't want armor.

How soon can i go back and cut into this greenstuff? should i wait a day to let it dry completely? or should i tear all of it off and start over using some better GS (the stuff used here is the ribbon type, very inconsistent).

Advice needed, and appreciated!

DJ

How soon can i go back and cut into this greenstuff? should i wait a day to let it dry completely? or should i tear all of it off and start over using some better GS (the stuff used here is the ribbon type, very inconsistent).

If you let it cure completely, it'll be easier to trim away. However, every time I've tried to correct my GS work with knife and file, I've been disappointed. For me, the best route is generally to just start over once I've thoroughly botched a layer of putty and it's hardened too much to rework.

been loosing sleep over these guys lately. My fluff/counts as, depicts my Plague marines as marines who appear more like wraiths, ghosts, and specters instead of angry bat-like marines with a grudge. When i paint them the scheme will be a very crisp white in contrast to the dark blue, I'm thinking of giving them a green tinge to make them look more ghostly.

the champ

gallery_31335_1757_383.jpg

standard trooper

gallery_31335_1757_21141.jpg

I don't think these guys will get good reviews. The dryad helmets can give off a feminine look that doesn't really fit in. The hooded marine is meant to have a mask, or altered helmet. The corpse cart rider is not his face, it's meant to scare. I added some 'fluttery scraps' to his armor to give the impression of an apparition or ghost. I think it is a scheme i will carry over to the whole squad.

They don't look like traditional night lords, so this is a very daunting project for me. They are forcing me out of my comfort zone.

let the critisism flow (I really need some outside perspective) :)

You need lead foil. :lol:

Get it off of wine bottles and so forth. You can tear it to get ragged, ripply edges, and while it's flexible, it's stiff enough to stay where you put it.

I really dig the idea of doing plague marines as spooky ghostly chaps. That seems like the best possible way to integrate them into a themed Night Lords force. For their paint job, maybe add bluish-purply tinges intead of green to the white, to help tie them to the Night Lords look? You could even have the Night Lords lightning tracing along their armour with really faint glazes of purple and blue.

is the lead foil going to flake off or stay pretty rigid?

should i hit it with some superglue or just paint it, and will the paint hold.

You're right that would probably be cheap and extremely effective, i just want to know that it will hold up. While this army is going on display it is also my everyday butt kicking army. They will see abuse.

I like the idea about trace lightning underneath. blue or purple may work better than the green, i dunno yet. Will have to do some test models when everything is said and done.

Edited by Dan The Deamon

The lead foil won't flake, and I'm pretty confident that paint will adhere just fine. However, it isn't terribly stiff, it'll stay "bendy", and I don't think superglue will help.

However, you could very easily cut the shape you want, check it to make sure it'll fit, then take it off and lay it flat and spread a thin layer of putty (green stuff, milliput, I think even bakeable modelling clay could be okay but would require some superglue sealant), then while the putty is still flexible place the cape back in place on the model. Sounds like a lot of steps, but there's pretty much no real sculpting involved, and the putty would harden up normally to give you a nice durable cape.

Another option might be to put it in place and give it a few thin layers of Future floor polish ("Pledge With Future Shine"). You can find that stuff at Wal-Mart or anywhere like that, and it cures to a nice, smooth, rock-hard gloss.

I think the Dryad head actually looks really cool. Or if anything, use the Bloodletter heads, they're fashioned in a similar way. Good job thus far, though. The second Marine DOES look like Mumm-Ra... so that should be his name, lol.

I like the robed head.. it does of course just look like his face though. Not sure other then paint how you could show its a mask. I do think it looks good though. I think it looks like a face casue a helmet head is bigger then the hood head. So you automatically know that theres no helmt being worn.

The dryad head on the other hand has some problems if your going for perfection. Firstly the eyes dont match up to where the helmet lenses are. Second it seems seperate from the rest of the head, maybe if you could green stuff the mask to it extends down around the vox grill? Both of these guys still look awesome though, I would just leave them as is personally.

Yeah yogi i noticed the eye thing moments ago. It's too late to change anything now and I'm pretty happy with his helmet. Let's just say those are the ocular sensors which feed the marines helmet vision. I originally had the dryads mouth open and hallowed out so you could see the vox grill, then i had an xacto mishap and lost the lower jaw. This helmet is a result of a mistake!

In the end i like it more. It defines the helmet for what it is by keeping some of the marine helmet showing. Whereas the last dryad marine i made kept things very ambiguous

gallery_31335_1757_15920.jpg

The mask/face. I didn't want to make a whole squad of dryads. I tried something new and while i think it's a good conversion, fitting of the squad, it doesn't portray the mask effect i was going for. I believe when i paint him i will have to pay special attention to the face. I think if his face matches the armor, and the eyes are painted as lenses i may get lucky. Otherwise he looks like a ghost, i still win. : )