Night Lords 18th Battle Company (Treadhead)

Why not have one in a knife fight pose, ie, bolter with a strap behind him, knife in his right hand, left hand taking a defensive position.

Another knife based one could be the Night Lord reaching for his target for a stealth kill, left arm stretched, hand open, while the right hand is taking a knife out of its sheath.

A sniper could also be nice, using the kneeling legs and a modified bolter would make for an impressive Night Lord. Remember, Night Lords excel at terror and terror is as much about what you can't see as what you can.

I like the ideas about the knife fight marine, and the stalking marine. Those will be two base guys. Thanks for the inspiration! :)

I'm thinking about making the icon different in many senses to anything i've tried before. I've done the flag/standard idea, i've done the radio/auspex idea. I'm thinking this time it might be a lone night lord butchering some poor imperial civilian on a termi base. What do you guys think?

The sniper idea; I've had a sniper rifle sitting on my desk for a couple months now and I've been dry fitting it to every marine who's received my attention. The only problem I've run in to is that while 9 guys out of my squad will be running forward blazing with bolters, and pistols, one lone guy will be in a good shooting position and will look too stationary. I tried fitting it into the oblit weapon teams but might just have to put it into play somewhere else in my army. Whether it be havocs, plague marines, thousand sons, Whatever i can counts as. Don't worry though, After reading Soul Hunter and my own experiences in the military, i can't wait to fit one in.

Hey Dan,

When I copy your auto cannon, it's going to be the "DtD" pattern auto cannon.

A few ideas for you to ponder,

Icon Bearer: continue to think "outside the box" the Icon doesn't have to be a GW provided bit. Depending on which faction Alpha Legion / Night Lords you chose to carry it, use their Fluff for the Icon. Heck, the thing doesn't even have to be a banner/standard if you don't want it to be. Do you think either of those two legions would actually carry a big stick into battle, just to motive the fellas. Maybe the Skeleton of one of the sorry loyalist SMs they sacrificed to the Warp, and now it's a focal point /gateway for Warp goodieness (teleporting, gifts of the gods, etc.). Strap that to the back of a backpack, or on top, so the enemy can see it too.

Regular guys:

o Think about guys concentrating on engaging the enemy, deliberate aiming; weapon up, in tight, sigting in the loser he's about to blow away.

Add a chainsword bayonet conversion, to show the CCW.

o Maybe, a two bolt pistol guy (kind of an old Dark Angel Fallen, Cypher pose), Bolter slung.

o Maybe a guy kneeling down ripping the head off a loyalist scum, taking his trophy as he clears through the OBJ. I don't think your guys would GO Back for a trophy, once they move through, IT IS CLEAR, never go backwards kind of guys. So ya gotta get those skulls sometime, right. Maybe that's the new guy detail, bring up the rear, and pick up the heads.

Meltgun:

o A tank hunter, sneaking around, using cover-n-concealment, to get into position to hit the weak spot in the enemy armor. Moving, bent low, weapon at the ready. Maybe kneeling, peaking around a corner.

Just a few ideas from my foxhole in Hawaii. Hope they help stir the juices.

The sniper idea; I've had a sniper rifle sitting on my desk for a couple months now and I've been dry fitting it to every marine who's received my attention. The only problem I've run in to is that while 9 guys out of my squad will be running forward blazing with bolters, and pistols, one lone guy will be in a good shooting position and will look too stationary. I tried fitting it into the oblit weapon teams but might just have to put it into play somewhere else in my army. Whether it be havocs, plague marines, thousand sons, Whatever i can counts as. Don't worry though, After reading Soul Hunter and my own experiences in the military, i can't wait to fit one in.

Maybe not so much a sniper, but a designated marksman. ;)

Try to loosen up the kneeling pose so it's less like he's settled into a shooting position, and more like he's just very briefly taking a knee to give a little covering fire while his squaddies advance.

James i read "DtD" about 6 times before it made any sense. I LOVE it. I'm sure you've noticed the parts made to use it, and will probably make it better. :D

These idea's you guys are giving me are great. Things have been stirred up. Might take me a minute to finish this new guy, but i promise he'll be worth it.

Edited by Dan The Deamon

Dan,

I'm doing a very similar technique for Actual/True-scaling my Marines. (Both Chaos and Faithful, both DIY Chapters.) Anyway, I was wondering if you could fill me in on how you're sizing your spacers? In particular,

1) What thickness plasticard/sheet styrene are you using?

2) Are you cutting the sheet styrene, then attaching it to the marine, and then filing it down until it "blends into" the marines limb? Or are you filing it down first and then attaching.

Also, any other helpful hints would be appreciated. I currently have 2 CSM's finished. (Meaning the bodies and poses are done, but they still need paint.) I'm working on an entire chapter, so it's become quite the undertaking.

Thanks.

I think a cool Icon idea would be maybe a pole with corpses of enemies on it. Seems like something the night lords would do for terror. Also maybe some cloaked alpha legion infiltrators. Maybe a nightlord cutting the throat of a guardsman or even throwing a guardsmen head with a melta grenade inside.

HAHA guardsman head with a Melta bomb inside. I like that one.

I've started two models Simultaneously. I'm there is some waiting time required when i space them out so knocking them out in one sitting is rather difficult.

I have a feeling the icon will be a hit. Plus i'd rather the guardsman be screaming in terror then dead. Seems to scare the rest more that way :)

Semnos i haven't ignored your request. I'm gathering pictures and measurements while i make these two. I'll get your info up soon.

Edited by Dan The Deamon

Of course if you really wanted to be twisted, you could make an objective counter with a guardsman boobytrapped, thin wire, wrapped around his hands and neck, connected to explosives. He moves, he goes boom, his friends try to help him, he and his friends go boom.

Another pose you could try is that of a Night Lord (or an Alpha Legionaire even) emerging from the shadows about to attack the enemy. The easiest way I can think of this, is to use the biker arms, and having the Chaos Marine holding onto a piece from the cities of death sets. The only problem with this is you could end up with a Chaos Chimp rather then a vicious killer from the shadows.

That's what they are there for. Speed bumps until more adequate units can have time to organzie a proper fight :lol:

By the way, lovely models. I'm sure i'll steal some ideas from here and there in the future.

I give you brother "Deaem"

Cookies if you can guys where his name comes from.

gallery_31335_1757_38344.jpg

This is the first model in my army to be bare headed. I made sure he carries his helmet with him though. :P

The gap between wrist and hand will be green stuffed when the glue dries.

Next up, I don't know yet!

Superb and awesome like all the rest :) realy nice and spooky in a fitting way too... simply love all your models!!

gorgeus wicked....

p.s id love too se some more progress on your vissious Nightlords lord with the wing´s... some spiked and trophy decorated shoulderguards?

cheers mate