Night Lords 18th Battle Company (Treadhead)

Darth,David, and bio. Thanks for the idea's on the combat shield. I think if the generator was still functioning it'd be sought after by someone with a little more pull in the company. Either that or this guy has bashed one two many of his brothers heads in trying to keep it from being stolen. Or the generator has stopped working and he just uses it as another weapon to block, and swing with. After each fight he lays another layer of armor down and fixes up the damage. I'm not sure which i'm going with, because it would definitely change what's on the front in my mind.

I like where your head's at. I would gouge up the shield with a file, then lay down bits of scrap plasticard, and decorate it with rivets made from assorted bits of plastic rod or wire or pins or all of the above to maximize the wackiness. If you don't have any thin enough, I've got that .020" and some .010" that I'd be glad to share with you next time we meet up. I dunno what you or Tom have going on this weekend - I've got to head to Commerce for a barbecue thing on Saturday though. If you want to drop me a line, I can bring some stuff along with me and pass it off to you.

Just a thought , why not have the shield with plenty damage and a few spikes or blades,but for the repairs he could use the bones / skulls of his fallen enemies as makeshift armour. Kinda like a wee tribute to the Blood God that he can bash more heads in with if he loses his giant blade.

Gangly shield marine didn't fit into the squad. He stood out too much so he was hacked up and redone. I still have plans for the shield but it will be in a more sinister fighting pose and I'm going to need to spend time on it.

I'm actually very happy with this guy now.

gallery_31335_1757_34459.jpg

Next is the marine who i built after reading Brothers of the Snake this weekend. That book never gets old. He needed to have a spear, but a little meaner than metal.

gallery_31335_1757_9664.jpg

I'm still waiting on some bits so i haven't done anything to the chest plates yet. I'm undecided what i want to do to them right now. I may go back after they are finished and sculpt some barbarian looking stuff onto them. The backpacks have been left of for now as well because i'm not entirely sure how to do them yet.

C+C Welcome

Well the way i envisioned this squad has changed a couple of times now. Originally i intended to make another aspect squad similar to the wraiths. These guys would be kind of like werewolves or beast like visages. That changed into barbarian/marauder marines shortly after, and when i finished the chaplain ( champion w/fist ) the squad changed from an aspect squad to the chaplains angry flock. Right now i'm somewhere between barbarian/marauder/penitent marines.

These aren't being modeled as a squad of zerks. I'm just simply using the rules for some hand to hand models. When a better rule set comes out i still want to be able to use the models and will use them as something different.

With that said I'm not going to extreme hack and slash here. I'm going for a mess of marines with CCW's of all different kinds. They were all once part of squads until they felt the dark taint of chaos gods. If they want to continue on the path of damnation they have to silence this here chaplain. If they don't kill him they have to join him. He grooms their hatred and bodies until the only thing left is a raw, angry Night lord who he uses as shock troops.

Edited by Dan The Deamon

ohhh i see now!

oh that makes alot of sence, they fit perfectly into that role :)

i do the same sort of thing for count as plague marines, tougher armoured marines who get the first call for new armour and provide zerker close ranged support.

i get ya now.

These are rather intimidating looking marines.. Terror Tactics are still in effect.

My crit to you lovely models is.. The ball and chain at the end of his axe, seems well like a fatal to the face and nuts fo the marine wielding it.. But maybe in his depravity he likes it like that..

The other crit is the is the chain spear wielding guy, I wish he was holding the spear at horizontal, I dunno I think it just looks awkard like it currently is..

These are just minor nitpicks form the warp.. I ll go have a look at what eles you done since I was last here.

EDIT

Praise be to the dark gods this thread is full of win. My favourite things are these guys.. The first guy is the coolest chaos nutcase marine ever. Skull face with two knifes slices up your lives and refuses to die! I am in awe of the vibe of this model.

gallery_31335_1757_30759.jpg

gallery_31335_1757_11773.jpg

gallery_31335_1757_10531.jpg

The running guys are also truly awesome, They are really cool.

Anyways thats enough praise eh?

You gonna paint anything .. maybe once you have a thousand little murderers constructed? haha dont wanna guilt ya, keep up the good work.

Yogi

Edited by Yogi

Yogi

Yeah the chain/ball on the end of the axe does look cool, but once you start to think about how it works it's kind of a bad idea. I spend a lot of time making sure my guys and their equipment look functional. I totally missed that one. I'm going to keep my eye on it and see if there's anything practical to replace it with.

The spear guy originally had the spear raised overhead horizontally. I ended up moving it because the models balance looked off. one pistol outstretched firing, walking, and holding a spear above his head. I went for practical on this one and he's just got it in a neutral heft stance. At the time i was trying to keep the squad neutral in their stances to look more intimidating. I'm trying to stay away from the Robot look or most hack and slash troops Gw supplies us with.

Bio, i didn't even think about the death company until you said something. It does hold a lot of similarities. The difference is that these guys aren't suicidal, and they are expected to survive. I got the idea from an old Army camp where i was stationed. It was called Charlie's chicken Farm.

Troubled soldiers went and came back rock stars, nuff said.

The problems I'm having are trying to fit all the ideas and fluff into the model. I'm trying to juggle too many themes and progress is slow.

Here's the next Zerk WIP, nothing spectacular yet.

gallery_31335_1757_19101.jpg

I took a break and made a marine from the opposite spectrum. A tactical Alpha Legion troop grounded in reality and dirty recon/street warfare. I took extra time making his SAW.

gallery_31335_1757_14392.jpg

Hope you guys enjoy.

zerker has made some good progress.

i love the alpha legion marine, the bolter he is using is very koooool, looks like somthing that would work very well in a sternguard.

as always, awesome work

agreed about the bolter, Dan, you have to create a tutorial of that fabulous SAW-Bolter for the Librarium :)

Arenis

just want to say how jaw dropping awesome this thread is :)

your models always inspire me to push above and beyond.

And an idea i had for your shield guy (and i know he changed) considering the "we care not for anything," theme you have. Is a live person manacled to the shield. it would be replaceable, absorb some damage, and help with the terror effect. no one wants to see fellow soldiers being used as meat shields. just an idea not like you don't have enough amazing ones already.

Shadow

Thanks for the replies guys. I get super motivated reading them.

I've got some questions about how i should start painting. I made these two in Microsoft paint to show the difference between the ways i'm thinking about painting. It's been about 9 months since i made them and i still haven't decided what i like more.

Opinions?

gallery_31335_1757_10577.jpg

gallery_31335_1757_6908.jpg

Edited by Dan The Deamon

Ah thanks for the detailed reply..

Anyways I like the first one better, but the second one looks easier to paint. So if your awesome painter first one, if your slighty less awesome Id go the second one as you simply follow the edge of the plates for the lighter blue..

And as always the marines you make are looking fantastic I think Im getting desentized..