You know you're a Black Templar when....

Th!rdeye

When you're watching a documentary on the Crusades and note down every knights name you hear in case you need more Templar names for your writing projects.

Christopher tyreman's book "Gods war: a new history of the crusades" is also a good resource for things like this as it is very comprehensive with names and places. The Great Courses DVD set on the history of the crusades was also very good.

Thank you chaplain I was looking for a good book on the crusades so I'll give it a read. Do you know any good books on knights?

When the ultramarines see your thread and decide to copy it for themselves. And they call themselves superior. Hah!

When the imperial fists are your second army choice for the Horus heresy army you are to play. Night lords won however.

When you become enraged that this what 7 year old thread has less pages than the murders call thread which has been around for a far shorter time.

When you realize all of your armies are close combat marine armies and you end up saying "yeah that's right".

When in an argument with a friend you ask to settle the disagreement by an honor duel with nerf swords.

When you become enraged that this what 7 year old thread has less pages than the murders call thread which has been around for a far shorter time.

Woof.  4 years.  I felt even older than usual for a moment there.

ThatOneMarshal, on 21 Mar 2015 - 12:08 AM, said:http://bolterandchainsword.com//public/style_images/carbon_red/snapback.png

Nope, he was right. It is seven year because "warp" travel. :wink:

Edited by Honda

ThatOneMarshal, on 21 Mar 2015 - 12:08 AM, said:http://bolterandchainsword.com//public/style_images/carbon_red/snapback.png

Nope, he was right. It is seven year because "warp" travel. :wink:

Hm, there are many pages that seem touched by such foul powers as warp intervention...

I don't think I've ever tried to paddle a thread before.  But of course, I must accept any challenge. :D

When you are planning a list for an upcoming game and the question isn't, "Should I give character x a melee weapon?" The question is, "Which melee weapon should I give character X, Y, and Z."

When you plan an assault on an Inquisitorial Armory, just because you heard they have relic paddleums capable of smiting even the most transparent of heresies...

...for we must keep our revered paddle-masters properly equipped!

When you are planning a list for an upcoming game and the question isn't, "Should I give character x a melee weapon?" The question is, "Which melee weapon should I give character X, Y, and Z."

My thought process is a bit of the opposite, more like "how many more melee weapons can I cram in by taking more Characters?".

...you see this and feel a sense of pride that the Eternal Crusade continues...

Game Three: Orks vs Black Templar

The Templar player deserved the win. He was a phenomenal player and I learned a ton playing against him. His army was amazingly painted too. He fielded two 5 man tactical squads, two rhinos, some kind of flamer dreadnaught, a Drop Pod, two Lascannon Predators, a Land Raider, crusader squad with some gnarly chaplain as Warlord, and a Forgeworld Fire Raptor Gunship.

At the start I was sure I had him. He had very limited firepower and I had a lot of Boyz. I also masterminded all the objectives being in the middle of one side of the board with the intent of placing my Green Tide right on top of all of them.

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-CJYdeqZL-5g/VQ99JkpGMfI/AAAAAAAAAG0/4DZ5QHKCFLo/s1600/IMG_0709.JPGI took first turn and started out by running my Boyz and Bikes straight towards him. This was actually a bit of a mistake. I am not used to players playing aggressively back at me. He charged the bikes with his Crusader Squad and Chaplain. After about 3 turns of combat, and zero failed invulnerable saves on his Chaplain during challenges, he swept the bikes. He then took the Dreadnaught through the middle building towards my Boyz. The Crusader Squad jumped back into the Land Raider and eventually died to the Tide.

Meanwhile, the Boyz and Deffkoptas ran up the fielded, gradually getting blown away while killing Tactical Squads, Rhinos, the Land Raider, and anything else they could reach. I was forced to spend time killing the Tacticals and Rhinos because they all had objective secured. I couldn't let him keep getting points with them.
http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-dp2BqhludqA/VQ99JQK56qI/AAAAAAAAAGs/3eBxmQhNTS0/s1600/IMG_0706.JPG
By the end my turn 5 I gained 6 VP for a total of 19. I was well a head and thought I had it. With his last turn, my opponent tank shocked the Green Tide into a mass that was easily roasted by the Dreadnaught. The rest of what was left of his army opened up until all that was left standing was my Warboss Warlord. His last Predator opened up with all its lascannons. My Warboss died from a lascanon to the face. This gave him an auto 11 VP and a commanding lead. Game over and well played Templar.

From this blog: http://battlebrotherswh40k.blogspot.com/2015/03/ork-tournament-results.html

My thought process is a bit of the opposite, more like "how many more melee weapons can I cram in by taking more Characters?".

This implies you didn't already take as many characters as you could possibly fit.

I think the biggest sign of a Templar list is this.

When you have a model, that will probably never declare an assault, probably should never declare an assault, and is placed on the board in a position where it should never get into assault, and yet he has a power sword. Because everyone needs to be able to smite xenos and traitors.

When you have a model, that will probably never declare an assault, probably should never declare an assault, and is placed on the board in a position where it should never get into assault, and yet he has a power sword. Because everyone needs to be able to smite xenos and traitors.

Sorry Brother, mine has a Power Maul :p

No pride.  Tactical squads.  Not a Templar.

:tongue.:

Says the guy who hates neophytes ;)

Nothing wrong with Tactical squads. Not every Templar will have a Neo to train. He did run a Crusader squad and a Chaplain who is largely considered to be a sub par Warlord. 

Awesome tactic for decimating the tide though! Tank-shocks to force them into a barrel? Inspired. Also sounds like he played a great defensive game of small sacrifices to slow the approach. I'll have to file this one away in my brain somewhere as: 'one day, maybe I can have a game as cool as this!'

No pride.  Tactical squads.  Not a Templar.

:tongue.:

Says the guy who hates neophytes :wink:

Nothing wrong with Tactical squads. 

Except for the lack of swords and pistols?  yeah.  Totally nothing wrong with that. :dry.:

And you know you're a true Templar when you hate your Neophytes.  If you like them, you'll be too soft to throw them in front of incoming fire. :lol: