The freehand and gems really caught my eye.  Also, I admire the extreme close-ups.  It's rare that people photograph closely enough that you can inspect the layers, etc.

Hey, thanks all!

Really like the gold on thier helms!

Howzitdone? :biggrin.:

Super easy -

Base of retributor gold over black - 2 coats to ensure even coverage

Seraphim sepia wash all over

Option1: paint agrax earthshade into recesses

Option2: paint leviathan purple wash into recesses to define eye lenses etc-

Then perhaps a Runefang extreme edge highlight - I only did this on the sergeant.

The purple really makes the difference, and warms the gold up. You could probably skip the agrax and go straight to leviathan. This was more of an experiment.

The freehand and gems really caught my eye.  Also, I admire the extreme close-ups.  It's rare that people photograph closely enough that you can inspect the layers, etc.

Thanks! You should see my other stuff. the freehand on these is minimal compared to that (the kits are too detailed with not enough blank space - I try to leave a bare shoulder+knee pad on every model)

Also, photos were taken with my £100 cell phone, I was really impressed with how well it took my librarian after some experimenting, expect more close ups!

Xen

Edited by Xenith

My DC gold is more bronzey though, as I did it before the Sigmarine colours came out.

Yes, mine was the same when I used a Balthasar Gold base, now I skip straight to retributor - it's a wonder paint. 

In addition to the purple, green also works as a nice shade for gold, giving a different effect.

I'd play around with one pure purple wash, one green, then another sepia, and see what you like the best.

My Tycho on page 1 makes liberal use of purple shading - it really adds depth and warmth to the armour. I'll be using purple on entirely gold armoured models, but it isnt as necessary for just helmets.

Edited by Xenith

Hey, thanks all!

Really like the gold on thier helms!

Howzitdone? :biggrin.:

Super easy -

Base of retributor gold over black - 2 coats to ensure even coverage

Seraphim sepia wash all over

Option1: paint agrax earthshade into recesses

Option2: paint leviathan purple wash into recesses to define eye lenses etc-

Then perhaps a Runefang extreme edge highlight - I only did this on the sergeant.

The purple really makes the difference, and warms the gold up. You could probably skip the agrax and go straight to leviathan. This was more of an experiment.

My DC gold is more bronzey though, as I did it before the Sigmarine colours came out.

Yes, mine was the same when I used a Balthasar Gold base, now I skip straight to retributor - it's a wonder paint. 

In addition to the purple, green also works as a nice shade for gold, giving a different effect.

I'd play around with one pure purple wash, one green, then another sepia, and see what you like the best.

My Tycho on page 1 makes liberal use of purple shading - it really adds depth and warmth to the armour. I'll be using purple on entirely gold armoured models, but it isnt as necessary for just helmets.

http://i279.photobucket.com/albums/kk141/Mechxen/Blood%20Angels/Characters/DSCF0910_zps1f67a113.jpg

Use ye eyes brother and you'll discover all wonder of things :wink:

I already asked him!

Edited by Charlo

And, the Devastator squad I mentioned in the BA today thread, all glued and ready for basing/undercoating for ETL.

Veteran Sergeant (awaiting pinned combi weapon options)

gallery_58096_11927_624680.jpg

Squad Leader

gallery_58096_11927_75659.jpg

Lascannons

gallery_58096_11927_205112.jpg

gallery_58096_11927_548882.jpg

Bolter guys

gallery_58096_11927_738637.jpg

[/url]

gallery_58096_11927_99167.jpg

Brother Bullet Catcher

gallery_58096_11927_125425.jpg

gallery_58096_11927_117998.jpg

This guy will probably rarely make the field, and when he does, I assume he will have the life expectancy of the average guardsman.

Thanks for looking!

Edited by Xenith

So much bling. I just can't handle it on normal guys xD

Awesome stuff though.

Haha, yes, this is almost too much for me, they look more decked out than my sternguard, however I figured I'd be free handing on flat surfaces anyway, so they'd look quite artificed. I may leave the free hand heraldry for veterans, and the sculpted parts for schmucks.

Thanks guys, and don't worry, the barrels will be drilled!

Oh man, looking at these close ups just hammers home how poor my prep was on these guys, mould lines galore!

I'll be fixing this soon.

EDIT:

Bolters Drilled

Also, some shots of my long-neglected attack bikes.

These are a bit disorganised, but are the parts from two bikes.

gallery_58096_11934_651817.jpg

gallery_58096_11934_170294.jpg

gallery_58096_11934_717397.jpg

gallery_58096_11934_494098.jpg

[/url]

gallery_58096_11934_116177.jpg

gallery_58096_11934_274271.jpg

Edited by Xenith

I like where you went with the stylized heraldry shoulders. You don't hardly see that anymore and it makes your guys look unique.

Cheers man, these guys are a continuing project to get as much freehand onto models as possible, and make every one unique - each one is a hero, after all!

On Heraldry, you may have noticed the odd Ravenwing bit here and there. My 4th Company Captain claims the winged sword as his personal heraldry, so uses this in place of a chapter badge, and it features elsewhere in the army. Part of this is laziness and the easy to find RW bits, but also the hard work of Teef, who made this banner ages ago.

gallery_58096_11765_24794.gif

Which is exactly what I want my guys marching under.

The thread in which he made this is here, and there are a couple of alternatives, and some interesting thoughts on BA/marine heraldry.

Needless to say, The TW battleforce has given me enough cool bits for a captain and command squad with this emblem, and my captain himself will be rocking a sword and wings :wink:

Edited by Xenith

So, the updated brother bullet catcher:

gallery_58096_11927_415626.jpg

More stoic than the last, he stands in front of a lascannon guy and takes the hit.

The other heavy support that I've been working on is a Whirlwind. I've wanted one for a while, as I've been finding dislodging squishy xenos from cover a little tricky. It still needs a name and some tarting up.

gallery_58096_11967_149693.jpg

I've also been working on a Captain for the 4th, The Lord Adjudicator and Knight of Baal.

Grav pistol and Valour's Edge

gallery_58096_11797_363972.jpg

And optional power fist

gallery_58096_11797_236852.jpg

He's still very much a WIP, his jump pack needs some attention, and he generally needs more bells and whistles.

• 2 weeks later...

So with Karlaen coming up in conversation a couple of times, I actually realised I dont have any good photos of mine, and I forgot to magnetise his storm shield arm, so out of the figure case he comes.

gallery_58096_11797_814498.jpg

I've also finished putting together a fully magnetised Vanguard Veteran Squad: All arms and packs are magnetised, apart from the deathwatch guy. Please ignore the mouldlines on the arms, I just grabbed a load of options and magnetised them to see what worked with the poses, they will be cleaned.

Sergeant with Relic Blade, optional powerfist, second relic blade.

gallery_58096_11966_213816.jpg

gallery_58096_11966_545492.jpg

gallery_58096_11966_32125.jpg

gallery_58096_11966_169314.jpg

gallery_58096_11966_32933.jpg

Dude with a power spear. I actually made this model around 8 years ago, but he has languished in a bits box for a while. He was originally Honour guard, then going to be death co, but then I reasoned tht with his age, he needs to be a veteran, and gets a deathwatch pad to explain his long absence from my army. He fought with a White Scar, who gifted him a hunting lance, in return for the gift of a masterwork bolter and some horsemeat.

gallery_58096_11966_246335.jpg

Some of the Vanguard Veteran box set legs are pretty neat as they already have a kneepad with single skull icon, which I'll be using. All have the Crux somewhere on them, and most have a little blank freehand space on them.

Edited by Xenith