Today in the hobby I....

Aegnor

Today in the hobby, and for first time in 30 years, I managed to paint an army force at 100%. I will upload pics in my DW gallery later tonight.  :banana:

I never reached such a milestone before, being stuck to 90% at max with my WFB HE army...

EDIT: And here is the link to the Gallery: 

Edited by Bouargh
Link added

9 hours ago, Bouargh said:

Today in the hobby, and for first time in 30 years, I managed to paint an army force at 100%. I will upload pics in my DW gallery later tonight.  :banana:

I never reached such a milestone before, being stuck to 90% at max with my WFB HE army...

Congratulations mate, that is an achievement. I know many hobbyists who never actually managed to get there! 

2 hours ago, Warden-Paints said:

Congratulations mate, that is an achievement. I know many hobbyists who never actually managed to get there! 

:thanks:Indeed.

Truth is that this is a small force (so it may limit the extend of my Himalayan sized merit... :facepalm:) - 6 units (3:Troops:, 2:Elite: and 1:FA:), 3 characters and 2 vehicles (1:DTran: and 1 :Flyer:). Something started initially as an allied detachment in 7th Ed., but now completed to fit for small/casual games. A kind of drop in army, eventually unusual in composition as I barely play with all the options offered by the list (i.e. no special combined arms unit, only DW vets, as well as a big focus on Cyclon launchers on the 2 Termies units).

My main initial motivations for this army was to be able to field something close to Tyrant Siege Termies but in 40k and/or to get access to a flyer able to project a biker unit in Apoc/huge table/multi players (4+)  battles.

Today (well, last night) in the hobby I had my first go at creating my own decal sheet:

large.20230203_101413.jpg.1cc0f47acf33b0

Used the free vector design program Inkscape, which worked pretty well. Was able to find the various shapes online, convert to vector files, resize to fit shoulder pads (the big ones are vehicle sized) and copy-paste.

Thanks must go to @Codex Grey for drawing up the .png file of the Chapter Badge!

Then once I had everything in the right place, printed it onto inkjet waterside clear decal paper at best possible quality (photo setting and highest dpi, etc). Allowed to dry and then did several coats of spray gloss varnish to seal the ink in.

That's where I am now. Got to allow 24 hrs to fully dry, but maybe this evening I will try actually putting one on a shoulder pad! (Which will also be a first, as I've always just freehanded stuff before!)

Edited by Lysimachus

Today I think I got scammed.

Have been trying to find a Kill Team: Chalnath box as I wasn't back in the hobby when it came out.

There seems to be a few knocking around the USA so I ordered one via Amazon.

The photo from courier shows what they delivered at my office today looks suspiciously like a thin book rather than a Kill Team box....will know for sure on Monday :sad:

On 2/3/2023 at 10:24 AM, Lysimachus said:

Today (well, last night) in the hobby I had my first go at creating my own decal sheet:

large.20230203_101413.jpg.1cc0f47acf33b0

Used the free vector design program Inkscape, which worked pretty well. Was able to find the various shapes online, convert to vector files, resize to fit shoulder pads (the big ones are vehicle sized) and copy-paste.

Thanks must go to @Codex Grey for drawing up the .png file of the Chapter Badge!

Then once I had everything in the right place, printed it onto inkjet waterside clear decal paper at best possible quality (photo setting and highest dpi, etc). Allowed to dry and then did several coats of spray gloss varnish to seal the ink in.

That's where I am now. Got to allow 24 hrs to fully dry, but maybe this evening I will try actually putting one on a shoulder pad! (Which will also be a first, as I've always just freehanded stuff before!)

What paper are you using and where’d ya get it mate? 

3 hours ago, Axineton said:

What paper are you using and where’d ya get it mate? 

Online from a shop called Mr Decal Paper (Think they sell through Ebay/Amazon too)

It's waterslide decal paper, you have to choose:

1. between paper for an inkjet or laserjet printer (mine is inkjet)

2. between clear or white backing (As my decals will be black ink on red shoulders, I went with clear paper)

Edited by Lysimachus

TITH I started painting my 2 ultimate SM infantery models: a sergent for Devastator unit and a HH Legion Praevian. Then I will restart painting the 10 or so various rhinos chassis´ vehicles from 3rd Ed era that are still in the SelfStorage and all the SM will be completed. Next challenge is to go to my own Decals too. I have the material already but not designed the transfer completly...

Today in the hobby I played my first games after several years of simply building and painting minis. Two 25 power point level games at the FLGS, lost badly against Orks in the first and won handily against Votaan in the second (dice gods were with opponent, plus some set up mistakes on my part imo in first game; dice gods definitely favored me in the second game). Had a bunch of fun and definitely going to do it again.

Today I am actually going to board a plane to travel to the UK.

Finally, a visit to actual Warhammer World.

And a couple of other things.

Very excited- and planning to buy some more Night Lords stuff from Forgeworld. Hope I can control myself!

I have actually been called out for being "crazy for just doing a silly nerd pilgrimage" to the UK.

Well, yes, here I am, a modern pilgrim, ready to see the holy sights and relics and hopefully returning with many overpriced trinkets!

7 minutes ago, Craig said:

You'll have a great time. It's an amazing day out. Would recommend it to anyone reading this.

I agree entirely. One of my friends took me there for my birthday and I was absolutely delighted. I'm sure you (Valkia) will have a great time. :)

On 2/4/2023 at 3:39 PM, Rusted Boltgun said:

Today I think I got scammed.

Have been trying to find a Kill Team: Chalnath box as I wasn't back in the hobby when it came out.

There seems to be a few knocking around the USA so I ordered one via Amazon.

The photo from courier shows what they delivered at my office today looks suspiciously like a thin book rather than a Kill Team box....will know for sure on Monday :sad:

Panic over! It was a dodgy courier photo. I need to check the contents are all there but it is a Chalnath box

The collector in me is very happy. Just need the next two boxes for a full Kill Team 2.0.

On 2/6/2023 at 12:36 PM, Valkia the Bloody said:

Today I am actually going to board a plane to travel to the UK.

Finally, a visit to actual Warhammer World.

And a couple of other things.

Very excited- and planning to buy some more Night Lords stuff from Forgeworld. Hope I can control myself!

I have actually been called out for being "crazy for just doing a silly nerd pilgrimage" to the UK.

Well, yes, here I am, a modern pilgrim, ready to see the holy sights and relics and hopefully returning with many overpriced trinkets!

That is so great! Hope you have a nice time when you are there, make sure you get the ticket for entry to the miniature galleries it's well worth a few hours!

Thanks guys!

Today I came back from the UK.

And I agree- Warhammer World is as great as everyone says.

I spend more than 5 hours in there. These dioramas and all these painted models are awe-inspiring and inspiring fullstop.

I can recommend it to everyone.

Also, staff are very helpful and I had some great chats.

Only caveat-

I spend much too much money.

But how can anyone resist- seeing the models displayed at the Forgeworld store and you can just fall in love and pick your dream models.

Forgeworld1.jpg.71aef9e5421247810929d291beb882a6.jpg

I'm glad you had a good time. For me seeing the iconic studio painted miniatures from the early nineties was something magical, and those dioramas really do show the amazing scale of some of the larger miniatures. I also got a bit over-excited at the gift shop too. :laugh:

• 2 weeks later...

A few weeks ago a friend gave me the upper hull and turret of a Hellhammer. I wasn't certain what I could do with just those parts and no tracks or lower hull, but then I saw some of my old firstborn Space Marines I wasn't using, and so today in the hobby I finished painting and mounting my new Hellhammer supported (literally) by Space Marines.

"Sarge, are we taking these orders to support too literally?"

"Shut up and lift, marine!"

It has its full loadout of weapons, what isn't on the tank is being carried by the marines. :biggrin:

Hellhammer.jpg

HH.jpg

Edited by Montford

19 minutes ago, Montford said:

A few weeks ago a friend gave me the upper hull and turret of a Hellhammer. I wasn't certain what I could do with just those parts and no tracks or lower hull, but then I saw some of my old firstborn Space Marines I wasn't using, and so today in the hobby I finished painting and mounting my new Hellhammer supported (literally) by Space Marines.

"Sarge, are we taking these orders to support too literally?"

"Shut up and lift, marine!"

It has its full loadout of weapons, what isn't on the tank is being carried by the marines. :biggrin:

Hellhammer.jpg

HH.jpg

That's absolutely ridiculous. I love it. Thanks for giving me a beaming smile.

I can't help but think of this though: 

TITHI picked up the final pieces I needed for my Szarekh conversion. 

Behold, The King, in his Angelic Aspect, inspired by the short story where Dante met the ruler of the Necrontyr.

43439F98-CFD8-4BC1-BFCC-5DE77C2DBE58.jpeg

A0ACE875-D3D3-4793-9AC4-F3D64ED8B182.jpeg