I was looking at the army list and models that can have very different weapons to their 40k equivalents that don't have an official model or part as yet. So I ordered a wee collection of volkite culverins and plasma cannons to attach to land speeders (I have a few spare plastic ones) and some autocannons and outriders for attack bikes.

So this is what trying to work out what Chapter/Company I could do using decals for XIII looked like:

gallery_27755_11019_47712.jpg

On a more serious note many years ago, when I first started trying to strip plastic (as I had lots of stuff given to me), and I was using Dettol, I had a cross contamination accident with Nitromors (real paint stripper) into plastic landspeeders. This happened many, many years ago.

The damage it caused to six was pretty much catastrophic (as can be seen in the bottom of the picture below).

However I never chucked them as I needed to remind myself of my stupidity and carelessness, as well as the fact they'd be useful for crashed speeders.

I few years ago I saw an 80% off bits site sale and picked up some mint bits with the view to salvaging two or three (the top of the picture below).

The Picture Below

gallery_27755_11019_33073.jpg

Now as stated previously I noticed that Legion speeders can be armed with all sorts of exciting options compared to 40K, but FW hasn't done a kit as yet.

I am old enough to remember the metal speeders (both types), and I have a Visions knocking about somewhere.

I also did this years ago and never glued it together, so I'll be knicking the crew and guns for a start (it was inspired by Desert Eagle on these boards):

gallery_27755_5863_24204.jpg

So, as the rummaging continues I'll dig out the book, consider the various approaches people have taken to converting, and then come up with something. As well as wiping the board clean for scribbled ideas.

They are in such a bad state I can't exactly make them worse. If this isn't a retro up-cycling modelling project I don't know what it is. It is more like salvage and restoration (as well as penance).

• 4 weeks later...

Well, trying to salvage them (the land speeders) and HH them as well was just irritating, so I'll just restore what I can to 40k style and use them for Marauders, Knights of the Raven, Imperial Fists, and Ravenwing when I get round to it.

The grand rummage and sorting took weeks and I still have my terrain and WFB/AoS stuff to sort out but at least I now know what 30K/40K stuff I own, down to the last man (if not quite grenade and ammo pouch).

I read all the codices/HH stuff again as I sorted through things so I could work out what was going on, what was staying, what could go where etc. That took ages too.

Gist is I will try to do each Cor(e)Aux(illary)Com(mand) as I have the models to do it. Angels of Death has made everyone very interesting and themed, so the armies I muttered/whined about back at post #173.

Each will be 2000 with a flex to 3000.

I wasted many ours pondering (F)lexibility/fun(A)daptability(V)ariability/versatility(S)calability, or FAVS, for these and have lots of boring plans that I won't inflict on you all.

As an aside as I do each unit I will do a Deathwatch model "tithe" related to the main units Chapter in some way. That'll use up transfers, old metal/resin shoulder pads, the plastic pads/parts in Death Masque, and all the Deathwatch pads I have from the old plastic kits.

So, sort of to the point...

As it turns out I have a lot vehicles built or part built. I also enjoyed doing the Minotaurs rhino way back at posts #94 through #119. Barring the varnish thing it went quite well.

However some that I inherited (Black Templars) or I have decided to repurpose, have Forgeword resin upgrade bits in built kits and hacking them apart seemed plain wrong.

So a washing basin with half warm tap water and half a full boiled kettle and we can see that as land raiders sink (especially Black Templars ones) that they are not witches. Hands burn though, just like witches.

gallery_27755_11019_22540.jpg

And the other land raiders, after carefully teasing the resin out with modelling tools.

gallery_27755_11019_133836.jpg

The MKIIb will be for my Ultramarines HH, probably for a breacher squad. Just because they can. As it was chaos FW tracks and back again I may have to look at Machinator size 0 Liberator tracks for this (and the other, and the Rhino equivalents for Deimos Predators, Vindicators, and a Damocles).

The crusader will have the sponsons removed (same heating technique) and magnetised as I have three spare crusader/redeemer sprues for the multi-meltas for land raiders from years ago (as well as two other crusader/redeemer kits with FW armour kits). I'll also use the spare plastic frag assault launchers on the HH land raiders (I have another un-used MKIIb kit) just because you can.

The crusader will be the first transport for a centurion assault squad, so I'll add Imperial Fists doors as I'll be using the Centurion Siege Breaker Cohort as the Core choice for a Sternhammer Strike Force. You can use this same technique in reverse to add FW stuff back into existing models, just use cool water after shaping to set it again.

Due to the number of doors and centurions I have this formation will be very scalable, and when it hits three squads I'll just do the land raiders as a spearhead.

I don't do opening doors on models as it is more robust not to and it takes far less time to paint.

The rhinos as well, after the same treatment.

gallery_27755_11019_43159.jpg

I managed to get everything out/off without damaging anything. I am somewhat surprised. I put this down to the Machine God as the micro-fluctuations in the Astronomicon boded well for the project, as many of these will be for a Sons of Medusa (Iron Hands) Anvil Strike Force/Fist of Medusa detachment.

gallery_27755_11019_75143.jpg

Some other things that need stripping. The dreadnought pod will go to HH, probably my mates Word Bearers for the drop pod Gal Vorbak Rites of War thing they can do, and the Damocles will be de-Minotaured and probably get some Raven Guard doors (although I am not sure that I'll ever use it).

As I am going full CAC it can make using FW stuff in 40k awkward, but usually that is fine as they are normal units for HH. However I am not sure what I will do with my Prometheus (probably Sons of Medusa as they can manufacture them) and Helios (oddly I found loads of FW Red Scorpions shoulder pads).

Finally a stack of all the boxes filled with sprues or bits in bags. Oh, and a silly purchase for Ultramarines because I don't own that terminator captain nor a stormhawk and with the discount in general and another 25% off it was vet difficult to resist. Also this formation plus a Skyhammer Annihilation Force will be interesting.

gallery_27755_11019_12083.jpg

As an aside the Burning of Prospero just seems too good to be true. Two boxes of that, with the two Betrayals at Calth, plus all my resin stuff, and I'll be able to do Ultramarines and Iron Warriors the way I want too. Well, when FW finally release the Ultramarine HH breacher shields and power swords upgrade anyway.

However, green (and black banded) tanks first. I found I had printed the decals ages ago to, which was nice.

Edited by Marius Perdo

@Rojo: Thanks mate. I should get this done; I became a dad nearly a year ago so free time is at a premium now. So the days of vacillating and prevaricating and flitting must end.

Okay, so they have been stripped (yesterday, a horrible and smelly job even with Superdrug Acetone Free Nail Polish Remover). We'll get to that later.

Realising painting would be an imminent possibility I needed my dark materials for various chipping techniques, like hairspray and Marmite, and floor polish for transfers and sealing etc. These have been brought down from the attic, along with lots of other things not in shot.

gallery_27755_11019_105416.jpg

I have at least six of each of the following paints.

gallery_27755_11019_50171.jpg

The blues for Ultramarines in 30k (the darker two) and 40k (the middle two) and the far right might be too bright.

The metals should cover Iron Warriors for 30k (starting at gun) and Knights of the Raven (middle to right).

gallery_27755_11019_62830.jpg

The greens for the Sons of Medusa and the yellows for Imperial Fists and Marauders. The yellows will probably help with IW hazard banding.

gallery_27755_11019_113267.jpg

I will be shoe-horning in some resin eagle stuff onto the SoM tanks so I tested the softening technique on the Imperial Fists crusader for the going to be assault centurions. Worked like a charm, as did using the softening to tease off the hurricane bolter arrays so I can swap in the Redeemer flame cannons (spare sprues and magnets). Proved to myself it can work and I'll do this tank properly (magnetise etc) at the same time as doing the SoM land raiders.

gallery_27755_11019_191854.jpg

The various Chapters in question homemade decals sheets using templates from this very site and decal paper and good quality spray varnish. I did these ages ago and the printer in questions has since passed on to the Machine God.

Finally the stripped tanks.

gallery_27755_11019_106811.jpg

I'll need to build two land raiders and a couple more rhinos that'll need to be whirlwinds.

Trying to create the character and story of the Sons of Medusa via the medium of tanks is going to be interesting, and adding those captured and re-commissioned touches, along with cybernetic crew, should be fun.

The plan is to do the plastic turret Whirlwind with a Baal front plate as squadron leader. The other two will be done using FW conversion kits, with some launched missiles bored out with big boy drills etc.

The predator destructor squadron will have two using Baal heavy bolter sponsons, and the squadron leader will have the FW eagle front plate (added into one of the old Black Templar Rhinos) just to look different.

The annihilator squadron lead tank will have a Baal predator front plate just to be weird (using the other old Black Templar rhino).

All predators will have FW extra armour just to look bigger (the formation rule is equal or better if I recall), and magnetised HK missiles (to remember when I have shot them or not attach them due to points cost or have them snap off when storing).

All squadron lead tanks will have some weird bionic tank-meshed oddity in the commander’s hatch for which I'll presumably have to do an odd back-story.

All tanks will have the crusader/redeemer kit smoke launchers, and searchlights added somewhere because I'll need to create some variation and story.

The land raiders won't have FW armour but will have some eagle doors (as white double headed eagles with lightning bolts used to be symbol for SM armoured vehicles back when the metal razorback/predator turrets came out for the original plastic rhino). I might need to nick the underside or the FW LR hatch doors as it is far cooler than the ones on top.

The LRs will have multi-meltas pintles, again with some weird techmarine gunners with bionics and guitar wire mechandrites.

I have some very old metal techmarines with servo arms, as well as the new ones with servo-harnessess, and lots of servo arm servitors, which will be done last.

Tanks will be green with black bands as opposed to black with green due to the war clan symbol being primarily black.

Right, whilst tanks dry I will go through and remove all plastic bionic heads and arms for crew as well as root out the FW bionic bits I have.

Next update will be lots of built tanks as the putting paint on them will all be at once. Probably in November.

Edited by Marius Perdo

Excellent. Now that Marius Perdo is running, nothing can stop him. :tu:

I need to get my arse into gear and organise myself in a similar manner to what you have done (though with less projects, bits, funds, etc). Definitely inspirational, so thank you for posting!

• 8 months later...

@Chaplain Dosjetka: Nothing managed to stop me. Bad nothing.

Well, 8th is here, and the box is full of pretty things I have pawed at but weirdly, as my mate will be adding to his painted Iron Hands with his primaris from his boxed set,  I am going back to the 6th Edition box set, Dark Vengeance.

Having sat languishing in boxes for years, various swaps and cheap eBay pick ups, are crawling out into the (warp) light.

I have been doing an AoS Chaos Warband for Skirmish and noted that a lot of spare bits will be useful. Thus I am currently very used to going all tentacular spectacular and spiky. Some will even be usable in both systems, like the Chaos Spawn(s).

So with a pool of 60 DV chosen, 100 DV chaos cultists, 4 DV chaos lords, 5 DV Hellbrutes, a Hellbrute, 25 Raptors/warp talons, 6 bikers, a defiler (I bought that when it first came out and it is still un-built!), a maulerfiend, a helldrake, 15 chaos terminators, a chaos terminator lord, a dark apostle, 30 chaos space marines and all associated bits it should be fun.

I also have 10 chaos possessed, that I don't really like, but I think mashing them with spare DV chosen, old mutation sprue bits, and Forsaken bits, with a sort of Gal Vorbak styling should make them more fun. I'll make at least 20, but 40 would be a sight to drive away the last of my sanity points.

I may even do left handed bolter/special weapon chaos space marines with the spare right arms from the bikers ;)

I'll be doing Crimson Slaughter as I like the old codex, and I like that their possessed can change back sometimes. I also have quite a few spirit hosts so I can add the occasional weird ghostly haunting and apparition.

Early days yet but looking forward to cutting the DV chosen to pieces as they are literally illegally equipped now and all those stowed boltguns on backpacks aren't that useful anymore.

However still absorbing the Chaos Index and I am glad there are web app list builders already out there that do points (as well as PL).

NB it does not feel that weird a transition due to farting about with AoS (keywords etc.). The point shifts is still a bit bewildering, because I am old and slow and dislike change and remember when all this wasn't corrupted and mutated by chaos.

@Nrakmm: Yep, that was me, four years ago.

@Chaplain Dosjetka: You asked for it...:smile.:

gallery_27755_12410_182162.jpg

Basically the left spawn I started for AoS Skirmish. The right was just the other one in the kit. I find they can end up looking a bit cartoonish (Monsters Inc) and not horrifying, so I am doing them slowly and getting bits from a variety of kits. Very WIP.

The autogun cultists I didn't build (swap with a mate ages ago). I will do as much head swaps as I can, bayonet swaps etc. This would have been easier if they were not built.

The way DV works model wise it is a champion, a flamer/heavy stubber bloke, then 2 each of models 1, 2 ,3 & 4 taking you to squad size 10. When you go larger than this you quickly run into serious duplication. As I only want 20 as an autogun squad, I end up short one as I don't want two champions. I have ordered some cheap and nasty painted cultists off e-bay, that are a mix of weapons, and I'll strip them and butcher one to make a great coat champion with autogun.

The club squad I have managed to avoid duplication with weapon swaps, head swaps and a little bit of personalisation using tiny wormy tentacles from the Forsaken box coming out of gas mask Greebo-mouth noses etc. However I want to generally be mutation light, as the old mutation sprue and Forsaken sprues are scaled for Chaos warriors.

I looked at various kits for heads and weapons (hellstriders, marauders, marauder horsemen, chaos warriors) but all are physically a bit too big to match perfectly. Oddly I had a box of Flagellants knocking about and I found their heads and club weapons matched perfectly. Their bodies however are too short, and I mean short when compared to cultists. They look daft when compared to anything else.

Even then it was a stretch getting 20 done, so doing another 3 squads this size (that can be merged into two of 40), so all are unique, is going to be done over a very long time or it will get very, very tedious.

Lastly was actually first. Whilst I have 3 lots of stripped chosen (and due to large contact areas due to clip together models that glue will NOT dissolve like it usually does), one lot unpainted and built (not by me), I have 5 lots not built mint on sprue.

These are the most convertable as you can split parts prior to gluing. So I took off the head from the shoulders and neck top, removed the gun from the hand and sling chain, and then added a left handed boltgun holding hand to the body part. And made him stand on a <colour>-Tac rock.

Turning the head seems to have worked. I will cut all these off and build into poseable heads with greenstuff, and then generally Doghouse style power drill neck holes in (see Minotaur AoBR earlier post #28ish).

I tested all 3 types of plastic chaos plasma gun, and 2 types of plastic flamer and meltagun and they all fit perfectly. The sickle magazine boltgun is in shot and I love how that looks. I am very pleased with how this one is going, but mostly because it shows how big an Astartes is compared to a normal human.

He will be the spare boltgunner for a Havoc squad initially. So I need to do four heavy bolters using other Chosen (somehow, I have a few ideas), and a Champion. I will do him next, as they will have Mark of Slaanesh as they like really loud banging and the Icon of Excess will be fun with Heavy 3 guns.

I also will do a Dark Apostle conversion based on the finecast model (which I own but that looks like a snapping accident waiting to happen), and as the people I will be playing against seem to use Power Rating I will build a Vrosh Tattersoul, as him and the apostle aura buffing the cultists will be amusing.

Note I will update about once a week as I am way too bust these days to do otherwise, assuming I have done anything. I have a bathroom and kitchen to decorate this week whilst the missus and little one are away and ironically whilst other paint dries I might actually get something done on the things I used to paint.

Edited by Marius Perdo

@Doghouse: Thanks mate. My dedication will need to be tested by time, it nearly wavered already as.,,,

the Chaos Space Marine heavy Bolters are just odd. They way they are held, it is just weird and unnatural, and uncalled for really given how nice other heavy bolters sit on a model (FW Heresy ones, Betrayal at Calth, marine devastatots).

So after two hours getting thoroughly pissed off I learnt the lesson to work with the models, not against them. Other things work better, other ideas were had. Go with those instead.

So I have. Note that these are all testing out possibilities, almost case studies, to explore ideas, to test if my minds eye is on the money or as bent out of shape as my actual eyes. They aren't even WIPs.

What happens when you take off the Aspiring Champions right arm and left hand:

gallery_27755_12410_35444.jpg

Note plenty more can be swapped in, like the lightning claw hands etc.

I then thought what could happen without both arms on another model. They can come away without too much hassle and I tried some gun arms. Not great:

gallery_27755_12410_252431.jpg

Note that wherever you see the MkIII style chaos shoulder pads I will actually not use these, but the soild and saved Chosen shoulder pads that were cut/sawn away very cleanly and can have a wide bore hole cut into them to attach the various plastic arms into. These will keep the model nice and broad and bulky looking, as well as the cool mutations and faces growing and leering out of the shoulders pads.

Then I went to the Doghouse old-skool roots of actual head-swapping and boring large holes into starter box models using my cordless powerdill. Oddly you can't fit many heads or helmets in this one, even when wide bored. However the one I wanted to use for a Dark Apostle does fit, as does the FW Khorne terminator conversion heads. Little else though, and certainly not plastic helmets.

gallery_27755_12410_278232.jpg

gallery_27755_12410_76471.jpg

So, that was fun and I have loads more ideas. But as heavy bolters are out until GW do a new Havoc kit I have decided I need plasma guns instead.

So I started on the bladed rhino horn guy, whose powerfist and right arm with bolt pistol featured above.

gallery_27755_12410_20131.jpg

Obviously the same rules apply regards shoulder pads mentioned above.

Bolt guns are Okay, flamers/meltaguns look crap, but stockless plasma guns look brutish and nasty, which is ideal. The fact I didn't photo that less so.

Experiments with the paired lightning claw guy aren't going great as he is a bit too static, like a lot of them the underarm organic power cables get in the way etc. Early days though, I think I saw his upper torso used for a chaos biker champion on here somewhere ages ago.

So next I will give similar experimental sawing/clipping/and cutting to the guy that normally has a power axe/bolt gun/bolt pistol and his rib cage on the outside.

Edit: somewhere along the way re-sizing seems to have gone very odd. Oh well.

Edited by Marius Perdo

As stated this week has been decorating the bathroom, kitchen, hallway and front door.

However I have managed a tiny amount of bimbling.

In the following photo you'll see sawn out shoulders. By doing this carefully, they can then be swapped about, and have alternate multi-part arms attached etc.

gallery_27755_12410_326103.jpg

For example, the marine with the test flamer has had the left shoulder off the paired lightning claw chosen swapped in (just tacked atm).

His sawn out shoulder is then on the aspiring champion/Vrosh Tattersouls left arm (to prove a point, that horned shoulder looks crap on him IMO).

Note that they will glue in quite easily and need very little filling, but can be changed. For example, the guy with his ribcage on the outside and the tongue coming out through the helmet grill (original model has a power axe ), who is now holding the plasma gun. I could position the arms as they are with the tack, by filling in with greenstuff, and then using the models ribs as a very easy guide to sculpt in extended ribs for the enlarged visibility of the chest due to straightened shoulders.

You get the idea.

As an aside these mutated organic looking chosen shoulder pads will be great for converted possessed.

Note this is only possible if done carefully in a controlled way. That is why I use a razor saw.

Included in shot is a crap old Citadel one that had no way to swap blades, with the teeth gone. The one with the swap-able blades teeth has gone as well. This happened due to metal miniatures back in the day. They wear down teeth fast.

Then new blades have arrived from eBay so I can commence my surgery again and being plastic models I envisage the blades will last a goodly while.

Note these are very dangerous as a slip will be just as bad for you as slipping with a cordless power drill when drilling out neck holes. Models can be replaced, thumbs can't. If you don't feel confident with these tools avoid them.

You have been warned.

Edited by Marius Perdo

Having looked at Doghouse's thread I have decided I'll nick some plastic heavy bolters from my Betrayal at Calth boxes (or Burning of Prospero). His Word Bearer has convinced me that is the way forward.

However I had also stripped some old and very crap possessed that were posed atrociously (not by me). I have one mint box and I have started fiddling, and as stated I want Gal Vorbak styling as some Crimson Slaughter possessed can change back just like the Gal Vorbak did.

gallery_27755_12410_93735.jpg

I have found that splicing the helms from the warp talons with the few I like from the possessed is a good starting point. They'll need blending with green stuff. The helmetless one with the bone crests will have his eyes covered over with green stuff to look like one of the Gal Vorbak models.

I have 5 boxes and I want 10 Raptors and 10 Warp Talons (with 5 spare for character conversions), so I'll ransack a couple of boxes for my favourite heads.

I'll do some similar splicing with the power packs, so they are not symmetrical and have the coolant arms at odder angles, mixing the two possessed ones I like with "normal" ones and the chosen ones. Again in a Gal Vorbak style.

I'll be using the organic horned chosen shoulder pads, as they looked more mutated as opposed to the baroque ones with leering faces, and being large will make them look broader and heaver and swollen with the corrupting and mutating power of possession.

Note that with models stripped horrible stained old parts will start to feature, as the recycling part of the project starts to kick in.

Edited by Marius Perdo

Still no camera.

However been working on Veteran Sergeant Geryon from post #12 who will be leading the MKIII assault marines.

I will "re-imagine" Veteran Isskar as a Veteran Sergeant, and I'll have him with a power sword (the old Space Wolf one de-wolfed to look classical and gladius like as if taken from an Inceptor). He'll lead MKVII assault marines.

And the final one will be Mk VIII with a power maul as a homage to the old metal MKVIII(ish) veteran sergeant holding a power maul with crux shoulder.

Basically inspired by the one on the right before I sawed his arm off and made him into a boltgun using Imperial Fist.

gallery_27755_5863_88536.jpg

Although my favourite I did with that was:

gallery_27755_5863_13277.jpg

However nostalgia aside I will build a MKVIII Minotaur with a power maul as homage to the original I have amputated several times.

PS if I get them built and sprayed bronze, at this stage, I'll be happy.

Rather late, but are those the "small imperial aquillas" from forge world?

@Chaplain Dosjetka: Mate, there is no final look yet :smile.: Those are literally just a possessed head and a warp talon head sawn in half carefully, and then glued to the opposite half of the other head. I haven't done any green stuff blending as yet. Just done with a vary narrow razor saw and scalpel.

If I get it slightly off centre a sort of green stuff splat can be added and squashed between the halves to thicken them out a smidgeon, so the amalgamated head doesn't seem too narrow and pointed.

I have glued the halves of a sort of warp talon MK IV to another possessed head, but again no meaningful work done beyond that.

One of my notorious proof of concepts I guess.

@Ugolino: Yep, the small brass etch eagles from FW, carefully and gently curved prior to fitting on paint brush handles as rollers.

As stated, I have just spliced a few more heads together and put on some placeholder arms, which I am not happy with on the more static poses. Also the infamous recycled parts start to appear.

On the left one the models right foot snapped off in the strip so I have started replacing with a hoof which I am cleaving...cloving....clovenining? Used from a very crappy Forsaken leg mutation.

gallery_27755_12410_160755.jpg

Next steps will be the splicing and kit-bashing of power packs, and then a starting point for arms, then it will be actual green stuff work (which I am not very good at).

I do have five on the go now, which is a minimum sized squad if nothing else.

Edited by Marius Perdo

After reading about the new Codices, specifically Codex Heretic Astartes: Chaos Space Marines I have a bit of a quandary...

Professionally I usually roll with "An uninformed (or misinformed) decision is always a bad decision".

As it looks like we are getting Codex Adeptus Astartes: Space Marines later in July 2017, and Codex Heretic Astartes: Chaos Space Marines seems to be sequentially after that (August 2017?) at this stage I just don't know which Datasheets will change, what Wargeer Options might change (in the way Index: Chaos stopped Chosen, Chaos Space Marines, and Havocs from having three weapons), and whether there will be any new models or kits with the release.

This sort of thing really effects how to build models.

For example, an updated Chaos Space Marine kit with lots of close combat, special and heavy weapon options (as in all of them) would make sense to make Havocs, Chaos Space Marines, and Chosen.

Also Possessed are looking very, very dated.

Basically we are all uninformed and can't do fully effective planning.

Therefore I will have to risk it and concentrate on units or models that are unlikely (IMO) to change. Newer boxes spring to mind, such as the Raptors/Warp Talons box.

Basically I'll be changing the sequence I was building things in, which was fairly loose and chaotic anyway.

So the Possessed can definitely wait (in the hope they can be kit-bashed with a new kit) but I'll crack on with chosen converted to use special weapons as a chaos space marine with a plasma gun, flamer or meltagun is always going to be useful whether fielded in a "normal" squad, a Chosen squad, or a Havoc squad.

However to feel a sense of progression I think I'll do a squad of Raptors and Warp Talons first. I am sure I'll find something to convert :wink:

PS the newer boxes aren't exactly recycling but if we do get a new generic box of chaos space marines with loads of bits and options I'll be able to kit-bash and convert with older recycled stuff until I get dizzy with ideas.

Edited by Marius Perdo

@Ugolino: The terminators are looking very dated and "low-res" as well. I used 2 part epoxy resin, the tiniest of globules so it didn't spread beyond the edges and it handles impacts better and isn't brittle like superglue. My eyes weren't borked back then.

I did the Warp Talons as I have never done the kit and was curious about the amount of bits that would be left over. Also how much opportunity there is for personalisation.

The most obvious thing to me is detaching or bending them on the scenic bit to re-position, or to insert a different bit of ruin/rubble that isn't just pointing up straight at the sky and is at right angles to the base. The bits in the assault marines box, sliced to present more interesting angles to lurk on and launch from/land on spring to mind.

Also very pleasingly lots of special weapons, plasma pistols, chainswords etc left over, and an unexpected powerfist (had no idea that one was in there).

gallery_27755_12410_98974.jpg

Next I will do a Raptor squad, so then I'll have all the spare Warp Talon bits, and then using the spares from both kits I can jazz up some plastic bikers.

I will try and work out what I am going to use to make the Raptors Mark of Nurgle with a Banner of Despair as that will interact pleasingly with Fearsome Visage, and fit in with the narrative that the Voices have caused them to utterly despair and become sullen and morose when not slaughtering, and they are increasingly just flying off outside the Lost Hope, flitting about, and doing their own thing when they can be arsed. They also fit as a sort of fast hitting terror unit which is what the Crimson Slaughter are supposed to be about.

Not entirely sure why I am doing all the Fast Attack first, probably because they are mint kits and I want the spare bits freed up, and they take a little bit less thought so it gives the illusion of progression.

Edited by Marius Perdo

On Saturday an unexpected opportunity to play on Sunday (yesterday) came up, at 1000 points/PL50, 4'x4' Open War.

So feverish and quick knocking together of some models ensued Saturday night and Sunday morning.

gallery_27755_12410_162019.jpg

Really enjoyed myself but drank too much.

I learnt that when I do model the scenic bases for the spawn I'll need to magnetise for transport as they are so large, which was useful to find out.

Also I now love Warp talons, Chaos Sorcerers, DF2E, but mostly Command Points.

This is useful as I'll want a Brigade (so many Command Points) in bigger games which means I'll need to think about 3 cheap Elites choices (probably Khorne Berserkers because I have loads and FW conversion bits), and a couple more Heavy Support (which will probably be more Havocs).

I foresee a lot of cultist converting in my future though as I'll need 6 Troops....

Whilst calculating a Brigade I came up with 88 PL as a minimum. However as Chaos Spawn are 2 I thought I'll knock a last one together using bits, and then work on three as and when the demented zoologist in me fancies.

Once I pondered having an additional hip socket at the front of the pelvis, and literally having a third leg at the front, this sort of sprinting thing has started devolving.

gallery_27755_12410_513913.jpg

I am trying to maintain a sort of natural sprinting position (as in charging straight at something with hideous intent), which with two right legs down, 5 (at last count) right arms (and a tentacle) swinging forwards, one left leg lifted up, and a back swung left arm/tentacle/trunk thing, as well as a swinging tail for balance, seemed improbable but it seems to be working.

Obviously very WIP, and the photos are really just for my reference for when I start thinking about boring ball sockets into it for the chaos spawn parts. Probably a little bit too busy at the moment but he/it does sort of fit in alongside the others.

The fact they are meant to be on 50 mm "Centurion" bases now does give you a lot of room to play with without them looking like they are teetering on their base.

Anyway, curiosity sated, now back to do the Havoc squad properly.

Edit: So I did what I should have done, and used a Vrosh Tattersoul/Aspiring Champion as a base.

gallery_27755_12410_33957.jpg

When stuff has dried I'll position better and see which guns look best, all of them just to see although this bloke will have a plasma gun when finished. I always make sure bolters fit first and work from there. I did similar positioning on my Minotaurs and Imperial Fists ages ago using wrist/hand rotated bolt pistol arms.

A bit different this time, same result.

I managed to save the head and I'll probably use that on my Chaos Sorcerer.

Edited by Marius Perdo

Did the whole squad, up to 6 man so they can be Havocs, Chosen, or even two special weapons for 2 10 man chaos marine squads.

I still have some mold line removal to do (especially on mint bits), a bit of greenstuff filling, gun barrels to be drilled etc.

I will use the cheek horns from the hellstriders steeds of Slaanesh (the head cheeks not the other end) to add horns to ankles, legs, elbows, and where I had to cut away flesh-metal power pipes on chests etc.

gallery_27755_12410_306829.jpg

They are vaguely aligned to in-game narratives around rules, such as one Advancing/Warptimed (thus running and not shooting), one shooting and moving at maximum range thus aiming (Rapid Fire 1 at 24" after Move), another letting rip from the hip on full-auto and overcharged (Rapid Fire 2 at 12" or less with overcharge, D2FE) etc.

I won't attach the heads (when detachable) and weapons and just dry pin them, hoping for new kits and bits options next month (?).

The head on the originally poweraxe rib-cage on the outside Chosen inspired by KrautScientist's Death Guard conversion (I used a Chaos Warrior bare head on mine).

I want them rampaging over a ruined Imperial city, so I'll just use lots of already started (years ago) 32mm scenic bases that have appeared earlier in the thread. How handy.

I will undercut grey as it homogenises the different parts, shows up shading in photographs, and will hopefully work well with the idea I have for painting that will get around being partly sighted and visually impaired (at least to a table ready standard).

Edited by Marius Perdo