Let The Galaxy Burn! Balefire Legion: 40k again!

thamier

Indeed, it looks suitably Gothic. The gun barrels could use some more ornamentation like the dragon heads from the CSM LR kit or the leaf pattern of the Ven Dread Lascannon. Maybe also put a chaos star/eye of horus/some other embellishment on the gun housings on the sides.

Voicelog title suggestion: From the Heldrake's mouth

I think it looks great as-is. Those dragon/gargoyle heads have always looked pretty wonky to me, and may just make the whole kit a bit too busy considering the upgrade armor. Anyway, just one shmuck's opinion.

That raider looks awesome with the extra chaos armour, really beefs it up and makes it look like it has been around for 10,000 years.

thanks, SDs kit really is nice, have a 2nd landraider i gotta build too, but that will have to wait

Indeed, it looks suitably Gothic. The gun barrels could use some more ornamentation like the dragon heads from the CSM LR kit or the leaf pattern of the Ven Dread Lascannon. Maybe also put a chaos star/eye of horus/some other embellishment on the gun housings on the sides.

dont know what the leaf pattern is, but might add some trim to the las cannons too, not overly fond of the dragon heads tough.

and thought of adding some chaos marks but might just freehand some later

I think it looks great as-is. Those dragon/gargoyle heads have always looked pretty wonky to me, and may just make the whole kit a bit too busy considering the upgrade armor. Anyway, just one shmuck's opinion.

its always nice to hear suggestions and ideas, might look even better if i ever get the time to paint it, no real deadlines hobbyvise right now other than a local 3week 30k campainge in febuary, and the LFGS is putting up a betrayal at Calth as main prize. so i need to build and paint up some sons of horus :)

Good job on hacking up the Contemptors. Going to be inspiring lots of people with those :tu:

its been ages but then suddenly

"A wild Forte appears!"

been wondering when you would show up :)

Been busy with real life and non-GW stuff lately.

Good job on hacking up the Contemptors. Going to be inspiring lots of people with those :tu:

its been ages but then suddenly

"A wild Forte appears!"

been wondering when you would show up :)

Been busy with real life and non-GW stuff lately.

real life is acceptable, but the rest is hersy ;)

dont know what the leaf pattern is, but might add some trim to the las cannons too, not overly fond of the dragon heads tough.

I was talking about those leaves on the lascannon.

I agree just some artwork on the covers would be enough, right now that space looks like a blank spot.

I was talking about those leaves on the lascannon.

I agree just some artwork on the covers would be enough, right now that space looks like a blank spot.

thank you, might have to think of some more decorations for those weapons then :)

hey everyone, again i find myself in need of your awwomeness.

names, 30k/40k names especially aons of horus names, want it to fit the fluff, instad of just making something up.

so how do you guys make names? and how do i find the resepie to make 40k fitting names? have any links or something where i can find name related thingys?

thanks for the help

I generally try to find words that are from the culture they are based on. Or just pick something I think sounds cool, or latiny(high gothicy)

that was fast but, how do i find out what cukture they are from, and after that where do find info on the names from that culture, have any examples and or links?

Imperial Fists are Germanic, so I go with english/germanic names for those sorts of fellows, Behind The Name is a good resource for searching names by culture (and surnames, although getting to the surname list can be weird some days).

I would search some of the already used names to see what cultures they come from if you want some theming ideas.

sons of horus what are they? well all of the traitor legions and what culture is darkangels? i know so many questions

also how do you translate normal name to a space marine name, my real name is Peter what would that be in spacemarineish?

can still mull over names and such, but meanwhile the dreadnoughts main body bult now they need trim skulls and chains and some legion markings

http://i942.photobucket.com/albums/ad269/thamier/work%20in%20progress/611A86FE-8CEA-404E-8856-76A91F5B591D.jpg

what do you think? not bad for the static betrayal at calth dreadnought? or horrible?

INcredible work on the contemptor reposing, mate. Really impressed by it. 

On the names: teetengee's link is a good starter for your SoH names. I generally go about naming my characters as follows:

First I try to find out more about the culture/feel/iconopgraphy/archetypes the Legion is roughly based on (note that I don;t agree wholly with  FunkyMonkey's reply in the linked thread) Germans for IFs, Monastic Monks mixed with Native Americans for the DAs, Imperial Romans for UMs, Mongols for WSs, etc. Then I do some research about the names of those cultures. And then I 40K-ify the names. 

Now, with 40K-ifying I mean I try to imagine what a certain modern, M3 name would evolve into, linguistically, over 28-38 millennia. Some consonants and vowels might disappear, change, or be altered. The 'ch' in the word 'choom' might change into a K or an S. Or I just mix some consonants in given names. Mike Alaster will become Mir Alatek, for example. Note the r and k have swapped places, and the s has been removed.

Cthonian seems to be a mix of Ancient Greek culture, World of Darkness gangs, and  biblical mythical creatures. Also, read about the warrior lodges and try to think of a real-world counterpart. Then go from there. Don't let yourself be limited by these, as most legions/chapters don't recruit from one world. Put an Asian sounding name in a squad of mostly germans. The sky is the limit. ;)

• 2 weeks later...

looking pretty good, the second from the left though looks a little strange with the wide angle on the legs next to the others.

hmm hopefulle its just the angle, that or ill just break his leg for looking silly.

INcredible work on the contemptor reposing, mate. Really impressed by it. 

On the names: teetengee's link is a good starter for your SoH names. I generally go about naming my characters as follows:

First I try to find out more about the culture/feel/iconopgraphy/archetypes the Legion is roughly based on (note that I don;t agree wholly with  FunkyMonkey's reply in the linked thread) Germans for IFs, Monastic Monks mixed with Native Americans for the DAs, Imperial Romans for UMs, Mongols for WSs, etc. Then I do some research about the names of those cultures. And then I 40K-ify the names. 

Now, with 40K-ifying I mean I try to imagine what a certain modern, M3 name would evolve into, linguistically, over 28-38 millennia. Some consonants and vowels might disappear, change, or be altered. The 'ch' in the word 'choom' might change into a K or an S. Or I just mix some consonants in given names. Mike Alaster will become Mir Alatek, for example. Note the r and k have swapped places, and the s has been removed.

Cthonian seems to be a mix of Ancient Greek culture, World of Darkness gangs, and  biblical mythical creatures. Also, read about the warrior lodges and try to think of a real-world counterpart. Then go from there. Don't let yourself be limited by these, as most legions/chapters don't recruit from one world. Put an Asian sounding name in a squad of mostly germans. The sky is the limit. ;)

Thanks Augustus, you are also very good at helping, really nice information mate!

Love the movement evoked in those reposes - very nice. Looking forward to those being painted!

thanks mate, but it might take a little while longer, so far i gotten one finished converted and ready for paint

http://i942.photobucket.com/albums/ad269/thamier/work%20in%20progress/D2CBE285-DAB1-413B-A17F-BD8364A26D43.jpg

http://i942.photobucket.com/albums/ad269/thamier/work%20in%20progress/7BCECF75-364B-4A39-A157-739ED30CB793.jpg

http://i942.photobucket.com/albums/ad269/thamier/work%20in%20progress/31A1C81A-C8BC-4370-81C6-1A6591A8777E.jpg

http://i942.photobucket.com/albums/ad269/thamier/work%20in%20progress/4ABD1720-07E2-41EE-9941-438CCAE6A8EC.jpg

so what do you all think? okay or do over?

Wow, that plastic carding is on point. That being said, it's a bit too chaosy for 30k; word bearers were about the only ones openly rocking arrows and octeds on their armour early to mid heresy (iirc).

However, if you plan to do late heresy where the SoH have really started using luperci and stuff then it probably wouldn't be a big problem.

Edited by SkimaskMohawk

Whoa, that is looking excellent, mate! Almost makes me want to get another plastic Contemptor for the 40k version of my World Eaters!

The trim and studs are very well done, as is the Eye of Horus. I also like the thoughtful way you've used the spikes. One thing that I would change is the head, as I just dislike the stock head on the plastic Contemptor. Why not use some GS to bring it closer to the head on Forgeworld's Sons of Horus Contemptor? Or cut it out altogether and replace it with something more interesting.

Apart from that one aspect, sterling work, as usual!