Let The Galaxy Burn! Balefire Legion: 40k again!

thamier

Any Chance to get a little tutorial on how you did their legs? I would love to do mine in a similar fashion but i suck at converting and gs'ing, I would be please if you found some time to take some pictures!

sure when i get some time over ill fix a tut for you

Any Chance to get a little tutorial on how you did their legs? I would love to do mine in a similar fashion but i suck at converting and gs'ing, I would be please if you found some time to take some pictures!

sure when i get some time over ill fix a tut for you

Oh thank you, that's awesome!!

Those Contemptors are looking absolutely excellent, and that goes for both the spiky one and the new one you've converted to resemble the FW Sons of Horus Contemptpr. If anything, I think you should add some more touches to the two remaining models, so each of the Dreads will seem like a character in their own right.

The topknots on the tac sergeants are a nice little touch! I do have to admit I'm a bit disappointed that you didn't do more with the two HQ characters, though.

Those Contemptors are looking absolutely excellent, and that goes for both the spiky one and the new one you've converted to resemble the FW Sons of Horus Contemptpr. If anything, I think you should add some more touches to the two remaining models, so each of the Dreads will seem like a character in their own right.

The topknots on the tac sergeants are a nice little touch! I do have to admit I'm a bit disappointed that you didn't do more with the two HQ characters, though.

wanted one plain dreadnought and one in the middle and then we got two very converted, im pretty happy with the tacs but with all the grear it was starting to feel a bit cluttred so 2nd group just got a few granades no packs and swords.

the reason why i didnt do anything with the characters is indidnt have time sides i have 3 sets if them so will use the teo other sets to convert ;)

• 4 weeks later...

quck question im pondering making spikes on 30k terminators, how to do it?

green stuff? metal wire? anyideas fr making good looking duarable spikes like those on the justarin terminators?

help is apriciated :)

Got any Chaos vehicle spikes ? The rack ones that every bit box typically has ? Cut out sections of the poles and sharpen/whittle the ends, then cut the points ? I've got spikey bits on my WE Lancers, but I'm struggling to remember if that's what I did.......

Got any Chaos vehicle spikes ? The rack ones that every bit box typically has ? Cut out sections of the poles and sharpen/whittle the ends, then cut the points ? I've got spikey bits on my WE Lancers, but I'm struggling to remember if that's what I did.......

that might be an idea, gonna try, but defently not essy

still doubtful about the paperclips

That is the single best Betrayal at Calth dreadnought conversion I have ever seen. Excellent job, It has realistic and flowing motion, and the detailing is great. Keep it up!

thanks alot mate!

Perhaps you could use the spikes from regular chaos terminators?

gonna look thrugh my bits and have a look, should they be pinned?

http://i942.photobucket.com/albums/ad269/thamier/work%20in%20progress/F8BC0A1B-D5E6-431E-A4D9-0C2754086DC4.jpg

the spikes im thinking about are these on the legs and shoulders

Edited by thamier

I'd make some press molds of those spikes with greenstuff or something similar and then make your own.

i thought about that kage, and it seems like a good idea, but worryed i wont be able to glue them in a way that be duarble, maybe do that and pin every singel one..

i only plan on making around 15 models :p

Alternatively, you could also use 1mm nails. Drill holes in the model where you want them. Then clip off the pointy ends of the nails anduse a pair of pliers or pincers to get them into the holes.

But writing this I think Kage's solution is easier! Kizzdougs has great experience using his suggested method (not for spikes, but emblems (which have more detail, so it's be excellent and even easier to use for spikes). 

Hope it works out. Your dreads look fantastic.

Alternatively, you could also use 1mm nails. Drill holes in the model where you want them. Then clip off the pointy ends of the nails anduse a pair of pliers or pincers to get them into the holes.

But writing this I think Kage's solution is easier! Kizzdougs has great experience using his suggested method (not for spikes, but emblems (which have more detail, so it's be excellent and even easier to use for spikes). 

Hope it works out. Your dreads look fantastic.

this is one of the many reasons why you guys are so great, all these ideas and expriences to help eachother out.

thanks alot for the ideas, i let you know how it turns out.

did a quick test model, but did a few mistakes, followed the forge world painting guide, did a few tiny modifications, but when i wash all the armour area with green wash i failed a bit , also planned on getting transfers so the icon is freehand so its not all straight and even thicknes, but cant get any sons of horus transfers cause they are out of stock.

havent used stickt sons of horus colours,let the eyelenses be green and cables grey and weapons have grey plates, so it better match my balefire legion i want the armys to merge, when i make more chaosy sons of horus and csm with 30k bits

anyways here he is let me know what you think.

http://i942.photobucket.com/albums/ad269/thamier/work%20in%20progress/1E50F3A9-37F2-48A3-903A-62558D57EF33.jpg

http://i942.photobucket.com/albums/ad269/thamier/work%20in%20progress/A4288C4C-2A98-49BF-99B9-D2469931A5F2.jpg

http://i942.photobucket.com/albums/ad269/thamier/work%20in%20progress/08490FBD-486A-40D6-875F-409402F19B6D.jpg

http://i942.photobucket.com/albums/ad269/thamier/work%20in%20progress/50ACFBEE-B9D6-403E-8CBF-318FEFDA32D1.jpg

Wow, that is one clean Son of Horus. The armour green is perfect. The eye lenses and plasma coils look great too, but I think they could have been done in a more contrasting colour like orange or red.

Edited by Quixus

The eye of Horus is fantastic, shame it's only partially visible. Is there a reason you went with green instead of the traditional orange? It works surprisingly well.

Also, the new style, and far superior SoH transfers are in the works from FW. Unfortunately, they had no indication of release dates.

The paintjob is looking excellent, and I suppose you went with green for the eyes and plasma coils in order to create some kind of visual connection with your Balefire Legion, right? While I think the effect really looks cool, it does make for a model lacking in contrast a bit, so I'll suggest something that I already suggested for your 40k models: Why not change the basing colours to reddish brown? It would instantly provide another contrasting colour, and it's an easy enough change, now that the army is still young.