Let The Galaxy Burn! Balefire Legion: 40k again!

thamier

-snip-but if its too chaosy then ill have to tone it down a bit, -snip-

you wouldn't dare! ;) but seriously, please don't it looks super good regardless of how well it fits or not (I don't have much of an opinion on that to be honest). Pleaaase keep it, even if it means the contemptor gets used more in 40k than 30k.

Late heresy definitely gets trickier. Emperor's Children almost certainly have started to worship slaanesh in some way, Death Guard got all caught in the warp and forced to pledge loyalty, Eaters are really falling hard to their Nails and TSons got prospero'd and rubric'd. But those are all the "cult" legions so they're a bit special. 

As of Vengeful Spirit we know the lodge has influence in the Legion and can do some pretty heavy duty summoning, Horus got buffed up by chaos powers and spent a long time in the warp, and that a Possessed is part of their command entourage. Would this result in a more chaosy look? Probably. But I think it would evolve out of the SoH look that was already established; spiked studs, cabling, trophies, eyes of horus and trim. I don't think there would be that many of the arrows coming off the trim, tho the octed on the right shoulder should be fine; a bit of chaos bling with more SoH themed stuff is what I'd imagine late Heresy SoH would look like, they'd get really into it once they get trapped in the eye during the Legion Wars

I wouldn't tone it down either, to be honest: Let's not forget that the Word Bearers used something like this as early as Isstvan V. By the time the Siege of Terra came rolling around, more than one Primarch had ascended to daemonhood, the Death Guard had mutated into shambling mounds of decay, the Gal Vorbak were all over the place -- there cannot have been any doubt as to the powers behind Horus' rebellion, so chaotic trim seems pretty plausible to me. Plus it looks awesome ;)

I wouldn't tone it down either, to be honest: Let's not forget that the Word Bearers used something like this as early as Isstvan V. By the time the Siege of Terra came rolling around, more than one Primarch had ascended to daemonhood, the Death Guard had mutated into shambling mounds of decay, the Gal Vorbak were all over the place -- there cannot have been any doubt as to the powers behind Horus' rebellion, so chaotic trim seems pretty plausible to me. Plus it looks awesome :wink:

They didn't, actually, they made it from a wrecked dread they pulled from isstvan V.

Well converted chaos stuff is awesome, but personally I don't really see the point of going to 30k to just swap a scheme if its still going to be as blatantly chaotic as its 40k counter parts

Edited by SkimaskMohawk

I wouldn't tone it down either, to be honest: Let's not forget that the Word Bearers used something like this as early as Isstvan V. By the time the Siege of Terra came rolling around, more than one Primarch had ascended to daemonhood, the Death Guard had mutated into shambling mounds of decay, the Gal Vorbak were all over the place -- there cannot have been any doubt as to the powers behind Horus' rebellion, so chaotic trim seems pretty plausible to me. Plus it looks awesome :wink:

They didn't, actually, they made it from a wrecked dread they pulled from isstvan V.

Well converted chaos stuff is awesome, but personally I don't really see the point of going to 30k to just swap a scheme if its still going to be as blatantly chaotic as its 40k counter parts

shhhh ;)

You have a point, I just think the model looks too cool to remove them.

I never took those trim strips (with the arrows) as manifestations of the warp but just a style that was en vogue before and during the Heresy. Now if a couple of the rivets were replaced by eyes or tentacles....

The arrows never appear on the heresy armours, I'm pretty sure the arrows are a representation of the arrows off the chaos star; it would only start popping up consistently once a lot of marines start to worship the pantheon as a whole (i.e. once they're in the eye)

The arrows never appear on the heresy armours, I'm pretty sure the arrows are a representation of the arrows off the chaos star; it would only start popping up consistently once a lot of marines start to worship the pantheon as a whole (i.e. once they're in the eye)

wrong. The arrow also repeatedly appears on pre heresy/unification war armor, look at the classic model for the MK1 representation in the "Armor through the ages" set from GW, alot of arrows on there. But no chaos.

Maybe we can save the silly fluff arguments for places other than someone else's project log?

This. Personally, I think the Contemptor seems like a very suitable representation of a late Heresy Sons of Horus warmachine. Plus the armour trim has just been beautifully executed, as I said earlier. One thing that only occured to me now: You will still need to do something about those gaps on the side of the legs where the parts go together. The effect makes for a rather jarring contrast with the excellently clean trim right now.

so much that i cent even start to comment on it all, i dont mind the disgussion, its interesting to hear the reasoning of why or why not, i keept thinking of the discription of when logen finds the "temple" on the vengfulspirit hidden behind a old banner and the stars of chaos shown there right?

also Ks thinking of modding the helm and all the gaps are filled but wont show until it has paint case its transparaent glue that filled all those ;)

Thamier, that's really some very well executed contemptor trim you've got going there. I'll echo others about the kinda dull head, but other than that I can't wait for you to paint this and show us your 30K scheme. One tiny point though: that weapon combination sucks. Better get two of either shooties, or combine one with a fist.

@SkimaskMohawk: As Teetengee said, the discussion of pointy armour trim being 30K is interesting indeed and worthy of discussion, but you've exhaustively made your point versus thamier's contemptor, SkimaskMohawk. If you want to continue, I suggest you open a thread about it in the HH section.

i think ill do some modification to the head, and gonna tone the conversions down a little on the others wanted two heavely chaosyfied contemptors one half chaos and one unmodified, but think ill change that to the next two only partly chaosyfied. also unsure of paint scheme.

if i should modify it to fit my 40k army like keep the green and ither make the red parts like cloth and topnots grey to match my black legion.

and the first companys will be black armoured ofc.

and as mentioned esrlyer i will make one or two transition units that be 50/50 SoH and balefire legion coloured and converted

I think the idea of using grey for details is a good one, afterall as Teetengee said there's lots of room for differentiation for individual companies during the heresy. The grey would be a strong visual clue as to who'll they'll become eventually. Also nice work on the chaosy bling for the contemptor btw.