Looks almost like you're using it as a wash. I don't think it's overdone, per se… I liked in the YouTube vids GW put out, how they used it to build up in the cracks only and then some streaks. I actually think what you've got going there is a nice start, but I want to see more, believe it or not. How are you applying it? Straight from the pot or cutting it with some kind of thinner/water? I think some of it looks great, like on the Martyr's right hip ball joint where it came out really gritty and grainy. Other spots, less likeage, like the rear piston of the same leg where it looks a bit too washy. I think in general though it's good. Adds a nice 'lived in' layer of grime but not over the top yet. I want to see it GO over the top, personally, but that's just me. 

Doing the super zoom-in (hey, I won't judge) it looks pretty solid in some spots around the rivets. Especially around his left hip. I guess maybe there should be a concern about the inconsistency? I mean, grime and weathering won't be uniform, but in terms of application any idea why the results seem to vary? 

I think from here, if you were to add some scratches with a brighter metal color to show more recent nicks, it would look really cool. Much, MUCH better than the typical "Boltgun Metal, nuln oil, dry brush Necron Compound" that almost all of them seem to be. Don't be shy, man. Let your dirty side shine, er… NOT shine. Or something. 

It's generally straight from the pot, although I'm trying to not just wash it on and pick out rivets and joints. I think it's probably more to do with the learning curve that I'm getting with it that there seems to be inconsistency, which I totally agree is there. I have been trying to wipe some away using my finger when I feel there is too much on an area, and this may explain the wash effect that can be seen. I think in this case it's going to be thin, built up layers and practice, practice, practice! 

Ah, yeah that'd do it. Is it kinda thin right from the pot? If that's applied straight, I'm impressed with the lack of 'banding' issues that you might find with a wash type thing. It really looks like it blended smoothly in in most areas. Sounds like it will be fun to play around with. Keep me posted on any techniques you pick up, man. There's precious little out there on how to use the stuff properly.

It's generally straight from the pot, although I'm trying to not just wash it on and pick out rivets and joints. I think it's probably more to do with the learning curve that I'm getting with it that there seems to be inconsistency, which I totally agree is there. I have been trying to wipe some away using my finger when I feel there is too much on an area, and this may explain the wash effect that can be seen. I think in this case it's going to be thin, built up layers and practice, practice, practice! 

May I suggest adding Ryza rust on top of the typhus?

Ryza rust is a dry that looks great (at least to a color blind eye) once dry brushed on top of the grit , the 2 paints were literally made to compliment one another, so more the merrier, in my opinion!

So I went to Workshop today to pick up a few bits and pieces, and...well...

http://lh4.ggpht.com/-v2Y5tV2R_ww/UyRhrGuPPOI/AAAAAAAAAds/Mw4V21ojn64/s640/20140315_130801.jpg

This happened...

I have some ideas about how to build Emperor's Children, and have ordered various third party heads, bodies and shoulder pads to give them that disturbing look. In my mind, they will be more like Cenobites than Noise Marines, so lots of flayed skin, body modification and that sort of look. It may not work, but I'll give it a shot..

Did I also mention pink? Lots of pink...

May I suggest adding Ryza rust on top of the typhus?
Ryza rust is a dry that looks great (at least to a color blind eye) once dry brushed on top of the grit , the 2 paints were literally made to compliment one another, so more the merrier, in my opinion!

I like the paint itself, but I don't think it'd be the best choice for this corrosion as rust to me makes me think of bolts and nuts that can't move, whereas the corrosion here is more due to age and wear and tear, and not so much neglect. Good shout though!

And after a few ciders, an afternoon of rugby and copious amounts of Titanfall (my review - stop reading this and go and play it!) I've knocked up my EC lord with Daemon Weapon and the Burning Brand...I have no idea what he'll be called, and no real background other than he isn't just on the rampage to kill and maim in the name of Slannesh, he has actual objectives during the War. 

http://lh4.ggpht.com/-dhaMYkchedM/UyS6EKhHgJI/AAAAAAAAAd8/irB1q-RPP20/s640/20140315_203601.jpg

However, I do have his Terminator bodyguard all sorted out in my head, and they will hopefully be terrifying. 

Imagine a unit of Chaos Terminators, all with these heads...

http://puppetswar.eu/img/p/122-474-thickbox.jpg

And the name of this unit?

The Sibilance...

Edited by kobrakei

I'm jazzed to see what you do with them. With a name like that, I think of hissing and snakes. Those heads look about right for that. They seem almost too symmetrical right now, but that's just me.

Have fun with them!

I'm jazzed to see what you do with them. With a name like that, I think of hissing and snakes. Those heads look about right for that. They seem almost too symmetrical right now, but that's just me.

Have fun with them!

Thanks Jeff. They're going to be creepy as all hell hopefully...when they speak, their mouths won't match what they say, and when they are close together they will all fall into sync..because the words they speak are the words of the Legion and their lord, and thus are perfect...

Nice to see someone else putting a spin on the EC. Lots of skin flaying happening between us and the Night Lords these days.

The difference between us and the Night Lords is they do it because they don't know any better. We do it because it's ART!!

Man, those heads are creepy. Totally perfect for the devotees of Slaanesh.

Yeah, that was my thought when I first saw them. Total auto-include on the modelling side!

• 2 weeks later...

'It is said that any brother of the Crimson Shrikes Astartes chosen to be elevated to the elite of the First Company must undertake a series of trials to prove they are worthy, the most notorious of which is known as 'The Piercing'. The megafauna of the Shrikes' homeworld is covered in barbs as long as a man's arm, coated in the most virulent toxins. The chosen is taken to a suitable tree, and subjects himself to having these thorns pushed through his body. He is then left to hang for nine days and nine nights, a sacrifice of himself to the Emperor. The toxins wash through his blood, causing hallucinations and visions to fill the Astartes' mind. Not all Marines survive this torment, and those that do are said to have some foresight of future events granted unto them, including the manner of their death. Whatever the truth, the warriors of the First Company, also known as the 'Thorn Wreath', are brooding, introspective souls. They let the screams of the heretic and the crash of the Bolter speak for them'

'Rituals of the Raven Guard and Successors' - Tominas Rotajz

Below can be seen Demi-Squad Yestine of the First, led by Jor Yestine. These brothers were a fearsome force during the initial phases of the War, and Jor was the obvious choice to lead 'Hunter Revealed' after the mortal wounding of Captain Shraane. Indeed, after the War's conclusion, Brother Yestine's command capabilities and consistent tactical excellence even against the forces of the Black Legion Traitor Legion led to his promotion to Captain of the Ninth Company. 

http://lh4.ggpht.com/-DNC5ES6_I2I/UzRduJMvNqI/AAAAAAAAAec/0tyQDtqalXg/s640/20140327_170447.jpg

http://lh6.ggpht.com/-XovMdXb3YZk/UzRdvAGlzcI/AAAAAAAAAek/4LS3XrWicIg/s640/20140327_170518.jpg

http://lh3.ggpht.com/-LaE7CerzXBQ/UzRdvyNbexI/AAAAAAAAAes/_od6FmpQD_A/s640/20140327_170550.jpg

Edited by kobrakei

great attention to detail and good overall look to the unit.

my only 2 cents would be more combi melta. i'm gonna be packing a full 10 man squad of sternguard with them, whether or not that's exactly allowed, i don't very much care!:tongue.:  you're stuff though, build how you like.

keep up the good work!

Guys, thank you so much...I only wish I could get the richness of the red across in my photos! There will be more meltaguns as this is only half of my planned squad. I was just glad to get the background in place as this has been something I've wanted to explore for a while, but couldn't do without having a squad painted :P

• 1 month later...

So...been a while! I haven't disappeared into the ether, although there have been some changes!

First, I now have a decent camera, and a lightbox to use them with. These are both new to me, so I've been playing about with them to get things how I'd like, which hopefully explains the lack of recent photos and posts.

Secondly, and also dealing with the above, I haven't done as much painting as I'd like. Call it being busy, call it laziness, call it Titanfall, but I've been fairly slow. I've built plenty, including a Tactical squad, a second Sternguard unit and the two Web Captains, but painting wise I've been behind. This will change however as I get back into the flow of things.

So, with excuses out of the way, what have I actually been doing hobby wise...?

Well...the first thing is I am now the owner of a small Scions force of 1500 pts or so. The models were too nice to resist, and although gaming wise I think they'll get battered, there's something about small elite armies of Special Forces types that totally appeals to me! These will also be tied into the Fourth Shrine War, and show that normal humans (even if they are trained killers from birth) can surprise even Astartes.

Also, and I know this will be a disappointment to some, I've changed my mind on which Chaos legion to paint as my army. I was umming and ahing over a few, but I happened to read Vengeful Spirit last week, and that sealed the deal...

http://emblemsbf.com/img/7425.jpg

The tale of Wosnek Terra-Born and his sorceror 'The Vermille Hexatude' will hopefully be as fun for you all to read as it will be for me to write. The Crimson Shrikes will look into a dark mirror, and emerge changed for all time.

Well...the first thing is I am now the owner of a small Scions force of 1500 pts or so. The models were too nice to resist, and although gaming wise I think they'll get battered, there's something about small elite armies of Special Forces types that totally appeals to me! These will also be tied into the Fourth Shrine War, and show that normal humans (even if they are trained killers from birth) can surprise even Astartes.

Couldn't agree more, it's the same reason that lured me into starting a Scions force. I'm sure your's will look fantastic, especially after going through your thread and seeing your previous projects. :)

Will you be putting an ETL vow for Chaos?

Personally I think he should use the ETL as a good excuse to paint those newly aquired Scions.

Plus us Imperial Guard need all the vows we can get. :P

Just checking in. I think it's cool and all that you're working on other projects, but don't forget about your Shrikes. They're so awesome. In fact, the more I look at them, the more I like them. I'd be lying if I said I never considered adding a squad of them (hey, we're both RG successors, maybe we exchange training cadres) to my own force. I think they'd look fantastic next to my greens. How would you feel about me painting some with your red recipe? You'd have to tell me how you do it, of course. :D 

I'm half serious... Not usually a fan of mixed armies, but they're the only other color scheme I've ever liked so much that I'd consider doing something like that. 

Don't worry Jeff, the Shrikes are very much numero uno in my eyes! I would be glad to see someone else give them a go! The scheme is really simple - Meph Red basecoat, washed with Carroberg Crimson, then overbrushed with Meph Red again. Edge highlighted all over with Evil Sunz Scarlet, and then the prominent bits are highlighted again with Wild Rider Red. The black is Abbadon Black, all over edge highlight of Dark Reaper, and then selected highlights of Thunderhawk Blue. I use Caliban Green and Warpstone Glow for any green parts, and done! Simple, but it's all about brush control with these guys :) Make sure the Queen Bee is done first though, we're all very excited to see her finished!

Don't worry Jeff, the Shrikes are very much numero uno in my eyes! I would be glad to see someone else give them a go! The scheme is really simple - Meph Red basecoat, washed with Carroberg Crimson, then overbrushed with Meph Red again. Edge highlighted all over with Evil Sunz Scarlet, and then the prominent bits are highlighted again with Wild Rider Red. The black is Abbadon Black, all over edge highlight of Dark Reaper, and then selected highlights of Thunderhawk Blue. I use Caliban Green and Warpstone Glow for any green parts, and done! Simple, but it's all about brush control with these guys :smile.: Make sure the Queen Bee is done first though, we're all very excited to see her finished!

I know, I know... If you promise to work on the Shrikes I'll keep working on the Bee. :P We'll keep each other honest. 

Right, I'm far, far too impatient to wait to set stuff up, so here's the WIP first half of Tactical Squad Alejandro, including a Shrike that's been on Deathwatch duty. This was an excuse to test out painting and highlighting black on a Marine. Oh course, if I'd known I'd be this happy, this would be a Raven Guard army, so I guess it's a good thing for you Shrike fans :P Excuse the sloppy silver, as I get so bored of being neat with it, especially with the GW base silver. Mine always goes very runny, even after two pots' worth. All these guys need now is the silver washing and highlighting, the black highlighting. any eyes and purity seals completed and then basing and transfers (so not much then :P)

http://lh3.ggpht.com/-OlVh7miRlH0/U2utMQ96OcI/AAAAAAAAAe8/yH8nUzNsthc/s640/1399565399627.jpg

http://lh5.ggpht.com/-Thp3nuRlY1c/U2utNsVTr6I/AAAAAAAAAfE/GtRYJUr4jlg/s640/1399565527946.jpg

http://lh6.ggpht.com/-J_G_mtWGE2g/U2utOsF0d_I/AAAAAAAAAfM/XRuKwzuKY-A/s640/1399565557270.jpg

• 1 month later...

A short, but important update this time. Below is the second half of Tactical Squad Alejandro, led by Millian Alejandro. These aren't very far from being complete, so soon I will have a legally painted army. All 500 points of it :P

http://lh4.ggpht.com/-m9MXuzuR9xc/U7V3yaIRZwI/AAAAAAAAAgY/MTuxbp55TFI/s640/20140703_162840.jpg

http://lh3.ggpht.com/-QQcDM8Gft1A/U7V3zNdtKsI/AAAAAAAAAgg/kQPP6FqJs0k/s640/20140703_162820.jpg

http://lh3.ggpht.com/-c887T-In2qA/U7V30WPoYiI/AAAAAAAAAgo/8Viu0dSQb5g/s640/20140703_162813.jpg

And last night I got itchy fingers and started my Black Legion Lord, Wosnek Fosreddan. He's been a charm to paint, and meant I got to use 'Blood for the Blood God' I wasn't too sold putting it on, but after it's dried it looks really good. I also tried for a flayed skin look on his shoulder which hopefully comes across. I'm most pleased with his chain halberd conversion though, and have called his weapon 'Ravensbane' for reason that will become clear!

http://lh4.ggpht.com/-_VRq_xSdcgA/U7V3wPKCvLI/AAAAAAAAAgI/Nx63SMlldqU/s640/20140703_162948.jpghttp://lh6.ggpht.com/-SJTT5uJH5qM/U7V3vM1ch1I/AAAAAAAAAgA/QxnAIqhT_P0/s640/20140703_163007.jpg

http://lh6.ggpht.com/-oA-w0Gjnp_g/U7V3xbFn_DI/AAAAAAAAAgQ/4ove7RCX0_M/s640/20140703_162906.jpg