Let me check. Hmm... Yup. I still love your Shrikes. 

Now, as for that black legionnaire, I like where you're going so far. It's going to take some getting used to, seeing you work for the 'other team' but I think it'll be worth it. I can't remember if I asked you, but I've been meaning to: on the chaos stuff, will we see a departure from your signature crisp painting? Are you going to be exploring weathering, battle damage, etc. on them? I think from your initial foray the answer must be a yes. The blood looks great, by the way. 

I wasn't going to go too overboard, but there will be some blood effects on my Black Legion. It's more a chance for me to practice painting faces and gold, as they're both something I find challenging, and with all the Shrikes having helmets (a conscious choice), I thought the Black Legion would be ideal for this. Plus, to me it gives them that air of arrogance. 'I've been fighting wars for 10,000 years, do I look like I need a helmet?' :P

Right on. Just curious, as I also paint clean marines but I've been having so much fun with weathering that I've been debating making a change... I sometimes think we clean marines need to stick together, though. Like I said, it's a debate. If I were to start a new army, though, they would be dirty, filthy things. :D 

• 2 weeks later...

' A war is only fought by two honourable combatants. We consider this an extermination'

Millan Alejandro, Sergeant 4th Squad, III Company

'I have served with honour in the Deathwatch for over 25 years. I have fought the horror of the Tyranid, the war-lust of the Orkid, and slew Hrud as they warped time and reality around my brothers and I. The only thing these lesser races have shown me is that the true abomination of the galaxy is Humanity corrupted.'

Esitk Kires, Deathwatch Veteran, 4th Squad, III Company

http://lh5.ggpht.com/-RinYf6-tDMY/U8frKeTckvI/AAAAAAAAAg8/tEdY_3FuFCU/s640/1405610669337.jpg

http://lh3.ggpht.com/-lHKlMdmh-cQ/U8frL3xoZkI/AAAAAAAAAhE/BM_L39gU2jo/s640/1405610772569.jpg

http://lh5.ggpht.com/-nIKw_94mHdA/U8frOMRZk1I/AAAAAAAAAhM/KHrx6QJUzp8/s640/1405610801781.jpg

Edited by kobrakei

So, that's Tactical Squad Alejandro done, meaning I have a legally painted army! I was going to write a nice piece of background about these guys, but, well, erm...I've hit a blank. And that's a little worrying for me, as I wanted the Fourth Shrine War project to be more than just a painting log, but a living, breathing document of the realities of war in the 41st Millennium. I'm sure some ideas will flood through, but right now, not so much.

Also, they aren't quite finished, as transfers are required, and will give them the white so needed to break the colours up, but I'm leaning towards a mass day of application as I find transfers tedious at best! C&C is always, always welcome!

So, that's Tactical Squad Alejandro done, meaning I have a legally painted army! I was going to write a nice piece of background about these guys, but, well, erm...I've hit a blank. And that's a little worrying for me, as I wanted the Fourth Shrine War project to be more than just a painting log, but a living, breathing document of the realities of war in the 41st Millennium. I'm sure some ideas will flood through, but right now, not so much.

Also, they aren't quite finished, as transfers are required, and will give them the white so needed to break the colours up, but I'm leaning towards a mass day of application as I find transfers tedious at best! C&C is always, always welcome!

Well, here's my take on it. You are really building your own little scenario, similar to Sanctus Reach or the Wars for Armageddon. By creating the enemies as well as the loyalists, you give yourself something to bounce around your hobby energies. I say maybe spend some time on the chaos side of the fence and build some personality over there. 

By doing both sides, you can leverage the energy that enmity creates. Your heroes and villains will come alive in your mind as you create timelines, sketch out the details of the planet strike and the ebb and flow of the war across the system, and play games and fight battles. 

I love the stuff you've created so far, especially the ritual behind the Thorn Brethren (do they have a title yet?). Stuff like that really does breathe life into them. Also, using that as a starting point, I think you ought to create an IA for them and also for the Choas warband as well. That will lay out the basic personality and fighting doctrine to underpin your other work. 

It's an ambitious project, to be sure. I think you knew that going in. But, that's also what makes it really interesting for those of us on the sidelines to watch. I've said it before, but I absolutely love your Crimson Shrikes. They are my favorite DIY chapter out there, just based on what I've seen so far. I would be heartbroken to see you lose interest in the project. I'm sure others feel the same way. The story is so original and the color scheme and execution is nothing short of divine. 

Push on past the doubts, brother. You've been pierced by the spike of indifference and ennui. Let the poison flow through you and then conquer it. When you came down from it, your project and your ideas will be stronger than ever. If that means you have to give them a break to work on some related, but different projects, then so be it. But do not give up on the Shrikes. They deserve to live on. 

Wow, what an inspiring post Jeff! Always good to see someone who enjoys my work and helps to input so much. I think the reason I struggled with the background was due to my need to get these guys posted up, as they only feel complete to me once others see them. I didn't want to rush anything, so thought it best to leave it until I could come up with something worthy. Luckily, I'm just about to finish a Librarian so he and this squad will be tied in together. Problem solved :P

As for the Black Legion, I'm excited to get more done. Fosradden is nearly complete, and I've built his Terminator bodyguard, the Sorrow of Martyrs. I need to get some basic troops built too, but I'm adoring the Chaos Termi kit, and am half tempted to build an unbound list just made up of them. They look boss in black and gold, and don't take too long to get looking decent.

Don't worry though, the Shrikes will never be abandoned. If you saw what's in my case to paint, you'd be a happy, happy man!

That's good to hear, man. I've still got a Stormtalon, Land Speeder Storm and another scout squad, and a set of Dark Vengeance bikes to assemble and paint. Not to mention all the corps that hasn't even been painted yet that I've had for years... It never ends.

Keep it up, bro!

• 2 weeks later...
'Wars have ever thus been won by information. Even in the far history of Ancient Terra, battles were decided by the side with the fastest messenger. The Ethnarch may spread his poison words throughout the sector, but little by little we fight back. Where we cannot strike with the bolter, we Librarians strike with disinformation. Vox-comms being miscommunicated. Orders to attack sites of nothingness. Encrypted messages being altered just enough so doom is brought on the recipient. This is our weapon. This is how wars are won'

Hetyrn Kylesa, Crimson Shrikes Librarius.

Librarians of the Crimson Shrikes are dedicated to a special type of psykic study, that of infomation alteration. Similar to the operations of the Vanus Assassin clade, any Librarian within a Shrike force will be deployed to attack the mind and morale of enemy forces, sowing deceit and error throughout the foe. This is done in a myriad of ways, but whereas the Vanus use their infocytic gifts, Shrike Librarians will instead use their minds. This can lead to Librarians staying board strike cruisers when assaulting less developed or feral races, but in the case of the Shrine War, the Ethnarch deployed complex encryption software and codes. This led to Librarians deploying from orbit and engaging in a shadow war, physically and mentally breaking both comms equipment and rebel messenger chains to ensure all enemy information lines were constructed of lies.

Below, we can see Epistolary Hetyrn Kyelsa deployed with Squad Alejandro of III Company. Working together, these Astartes fought in the shade, striking communication lines and altering orders before blending back into the shadows. Imperial estimates suggest these types of actions would have lead to the Shrine War ending within an acceptable two Terran years. This, as we know , was unfortunately not the case due to Traitor Legion interference.

Edited by kobrakei

I like that deep blue. The black arm gets lost a little but not much you can do about that.

Also, interesting fluff. I feel like libbies are too generic usually. These guys have a clearly defined battle role. Nice.

Thanks Jeff. The arm does lose something when compared to the blue, but I thought it more important to try and tie him into the Shrike colours as well as getting the turquoise colour in there. I'd actually say the photo is better than real life which is a first for me :P As for the background, I thought it'd be something different, while also tying into the guerilla tactics of the Raven Guard as they share gene seed. It's got me out of my fluff slump at least!

Did you try doing both arms in black? Looking at it now, I almost wonder if that would have worked better but it's hard to say without seeing it. It's possible there wouldn't be enough blue if you did that. 

Side note: the red robes look great!

Other side note: I never really noticed your bases before for some reason. They look good. 

I did start with that idea, but as you said there didn't seem to be enough blue. It was a tricky balance, but hopefully it works. And I'm glad you like the red robe, as that was the best way to get the Shrike red on him without it being overwhelming.

Nice work on the Librarian. I like the darker shade of blue you used and the simple conversion.  I've wondered for a while how that model would look with a helmeted head.  Did it need any extra work? I've always though the hood might be too big to fit a helmet under.

Thanks Asamodai. The blue is Stegadon Scale Green with Temple Guard Blue and Sotek Green highlights. I was concerned that the standard blues for Libbys might stick out a bit too much, but this seems to work nicely!

As for the Psychic Hood, it did require a little trimming. I cut the hood to just above the round endings on the cabling at the back. The helmet was still a tight fit mind, but I was determined to have a helmet in place. Luckily it still looks like a hood and not just an extended collar piece! Hopefully that helps.

'I admired them, the Raven Guard. Even during Isstvan V, when we murdered our fellow Astartes to usher in the new order of Lupercal, some part of me found the Guard honourable even as they were cut down to a man. Lupercal sent the Red Angel to finish that which our Legions combined could not, and this pleased me, for Angron in his rage would be hasty, and easily outwitted by Corax, and then we could turn the Ravens to our cause in time. Had I known that the proud gene-line of Corvus would lead to these thin-blooded Shrikes. I would have slain Corax myself to save his honour.'

Wosnek Fosreddan 'Terran-Born', Traitor Commander, 35th Company Black Legion.

Dig the fluff, man. I've always liked the idea of less-corrupted chaos staying true to their own twisted version of martial pride and honor and you've captured that perfectly. It's not everyone's idea of chaos, but it's definitely valid. 

I also like the stubble on his head. It's quite well done. I dig how the bases are the same as the Shrikes, since they're really on the same battlefield. 

What did you use for the blood? Is it the GW one or Tamiya Clear Red? 

Thanks Jeff. I agree with the martial honour idea you brought up, especially as Astartes have always been massively indoctrinated warriors. All that teaching and hypnotherapy doesn't just fall away, even if you've been in the Eye of Terror (I think a lot of people forget that the Eye, and the Warp by extension, are places where time means nothing. So, for Fosreddan and many other Traitor Marines, the Heresy is a very recent event in their timeline). Fosreddan has specific objectives within the war, and unlike so much fluff I see, hasn't just shown up for a fight, but he is also willing to use those that have fallen much further into the base nature of the Chaos Gods to achieve his objectives. Hopefully that makes sense?

The shaven head was quite easy to do. I used Macharius Standard Grey and added enough water to turn it into a glaze. This was then applied over a few layers to achieve the desired effect. I personally think the last wash was a bit heavy, but the effect looks good enough to me :) The blood is the GW one, but for some reason it seems to lose some of the richness when applied to snow flock. I might go back over with a darker paint mixed in to get that deep red arterial look.

It makes sense, yeah. I like.

I thought the hair might have been stippled. I'm surprised that's just washes. Turned out well. As for the blood, that stuff looks amazing on weapons. No mistake. On the snow, what looks funny to me is the fact that it's just sitting on top. It would have melted the snow a bit, being quite warm. Ever peed in the snow when you were young (or drunk)? It leaves a furrow, right? I think the color's good but I'm not sure how to etch away the snow effect. I've never used that stuff before. If you could do that I think it'd look great.

You've managed to describe the issue with the snow perfectly. I'm not sure how i would change the effect now, but in future I'd probably take a small amount of flock, mix it with the blood and then paint that mixture onto the base. It's something to be aware of for the future, and I'll be giving it a go on my Chaos Terminators. As for the stubble, I found the hard part was defining the hairline. But once that's done, you can start to build it up. Surprisingly, even one layer is enough if you want really, really close cropped! 

Glad you dig the fluff as well. It's important to me, not only to myself, but hopefully as something fun to read. I doubt I could reach the heights of say, JackDaw's Three Hives Rebellion (a massive influence) or In Memoriam, but I'm content carving my own corner of the 40k Galaxy out.

Speak my name and I shall appear, like some shadowy architect of fluff ;)

Sterling work here Kobrakei, just sterling. It's my favourite kind of Marines, understated and simple but finished to a quality level and posed beautifully. That tactical sgt Alejandro is possibly my favourite so far. And your version of that plastic Librariarn is the first one I've seen that makes me tempted to get the model. The black arm is perfect for me against that darker sea-blue armour, matched with the gunmetal staff, it's a lovely brooding model.

I like the fluff as well, there's a definite sense of an overarching storyline there, I think you just need to pick a certain theme or idea and use that as the basis for the rest of the fluff. With my Talons, I just wanted to challenge the preconception of Astartes as heroes and noble, everything else flowed from that - the bonus you have is having a physical opponent for them to help generate ideas and hooks. All I had was a nebulous vaguely defined threat in the shape of the Prodigals, but then my plan to explore Astartes as callous killers didn't really need anything else.

Keep at it though fella, take a break from the Shrikes and work on the Legion for a bit, freshen things up. It'll more than likely give you a few new ideas and hooks for the Shrikes and the overall story. Plus if you ever want to knock some ideas around, feel free to drop me a pm :)