Khorne's Eternal Hunt - KrautScientist's chaotic WIP thread: Fine-tuning Eightbound...

Tired of seeing him he says - never!!

Really great update again mate, that axe looks purest evil! Just the right amount of blood having just cleaved the unfortunate Ultra :thumbsup: I would probably be tempted to splash a few drops over the armour maybe, but as you said maybe not a great deal due to his size.

The bright blue of the Ultra looks great against the red btw :cool.:

He looks stunning, such a great job. 

As for the knee pads I think they are a little chunky and don't fit the contours of the knees that well. I would be tempted to take then on as ship pads and see if that's any better or ditch them.

I would also be tempted to add a bit of blood effect along the edges of the spine but not to much. 

Thanks a lot, guys! I really appreciate it! :)

@ Maximvs: Haha, yeah, I wish it were that easy -- but we'll be getting to that...

@ Midnight Runner: Thanks, mate! I am really reluctant to add any blood to Angron himself, to be honest, as it's an effect that could go overboard really quickly, and I am too proud of the paintjob to risk it.

@ DuskRaider: Hmm, well, I think there are some differences, to be honest, but most of them are really due to conscious descisions -- I am pretty pleased that the model does resemble the art, however, and that one look at the model should really tell you who this is supposed to be.

@ Mechanist: You mean shin plates, not "ship plates", right? Hmm, I think he doesn't really need any shin plates, seeing how he already has that armour on his hooves filling the same function. Nah, I think the plates either stay where they are or they come off altogether.

As for the blood on the exposed spine, however, that is still very much an option! I'll have to take a closer look at it!

@ Andvarr A: Cheers, mate! ;)

I'm with Mechanist, the kneepads would perhaps look better lower on the shins if anywhere.

For the actual knees, perhaps something like the plates from the Skullcannon Herald ? Saw them on Augustus' final vow : http://www.bolterandchainsword.com/topic/286791-augustus-47th-co-hell-talon-p97/page-99?do=findComment&comment=4466995

Not sure on the scale/fit, but it might be worth a look.

As for the overall effort, superb, and I'd have commented earlier if it wasn't for my own personal suffering in a white hell.

Yes that was a bit of a typo. Maybe not as low as the shin but not directly onto the knee. Have a play see what you like they're not glued yet so you have some freedom to play. great work and I'm sure we'll be seeing him 100% soon, the base is definitely something to look forward to if the BT is anything to go by.  

Good on you for not exaggerating the blood effects on the Ultramarine. It's so easy to overdo and almost never looks great. IMHO anyway. I do feel however that the Ultramarine needs a bit of wear and tear. Dust, dirt, scratches, etc. His armor looks too pristine for daemon Angron just having had a go at him.

Having said that, the model is nothing short of spectacular. I love everything about it. Make sure you send a picture to GW. Chances are you'll see it in a White Dwarf.

He's looking awesome buddy. Nice touch with the axe. For the knee pads I think they do add a bit of heft to the bottom of the model as his elongated neck makes him slightly top heavy looking so these help to balance him out a little imho. Although if you're looking for alternatives, I've used the belly plates from the AoS Bloodsecrater they fit the knees perfectly and are a lot more slimline. I would add a pic but don't want to hijack your thread

My one small criticism is that the Smurf doesn't look dead. His rigid sword arm and head position suggest he's very much alive.

Well, sure the intent of the UM last breath is to chainsword Angron's face.

The last gasp of "if I go down I'm taking you with me"

Which really didn't work out so well hah hah

Holy crap, seems like the ETL has taken too much of my attention. So much awesome progress. I love the ultramarine and his intestines (perhaps a tad more gore on the front, around the waste?) and the freaky organic part of the axe is just fabulously done. WOW! I am really impressed by it, well done! 

About the knee pads: I'm actually a big proponent. Because it bulks him out much more, but mostly because it alters the flow of the model - and thereby differentiating it even more compared to the stock 'thirster. As an alternative, I'm interested to see if making them shin braces instead of kneepads would work. :)

Love to see that completion! (and you know you could have totally made him a viable ETL finish, now couldn't you have? :wink: )

I admit that perhaps I'm just ignorant on the fluff of how much damage an Astartes can survive (even temporarily) but I would think that by the time he's been cut in half and semi-hoisted he'd be beyond the point of 'punch it in the face'.

http://67.media.tumblr.com/86a993c4238ae424c8c00993ae57b7c4/tumblr_mz993wNgRq1qiotbqo1_250.gif

Although copious amounts of adrenaline & combat drugs help too. :)

Edited by SanguiniusReborn

He looks great, just totally :censored: off and ready to rend; the only thing I would say is that the bisected Ultramarine (god I love that phrase) need guts and viscera hanging down from the bottom of his torso, for extra BFTBG points :biggrin.:

Edited by Svartmetall

Cheers for the feedback, everyone!

Whoa, though: If I'd known in advance that a measly legless Ultramarine would end up provoking more comments than the massive Daemon Primarch next to him, that would surely have made my life a hell of a lot easier... Anyway, since the Astartes is such a big concern, let's set the record straight about him:

• I definitely envision him as still being alive, if only just barely. I don't have any particular love for the XIII legion, but it did feel appropriate to make the Marine look like he had one last (ineffectual) swing left in him, realism be damned. "Only in death..." and all that. This is also the reason for the Marine facing Angron and the eye lenses being bright and not dull and dead
  • There's actually quite a bit of weathering on the Marine's armour, although it doesn't come out well in the latest pictures due to the somewhat gakky lighting conditions these photos were taken in. But yeah, there are lots of scratches and splotches and what have you.
  • by the same token, there's also quite a bit of small blood spatters on his armour, but once again, those really don't show up too well in the pictures. I don't really want to add that much more blood, to be honest, once again because it's so very easy to make the model look ridiculous ..well, the bad kind of ridiculous, at least... :wink:
  • and finally, there actually is some gore and a rope of intestine dangling from the torso, although it's hidden from the front by that extra armour plate. I did include some pictures showing it off farther up in the thread. Some gore and innards will also be part of the Marine's lower half (to be included on the base), but I am not going to create long strands of gore or intestines, as that is just the kind of splatter that ruins great models -- unlike they are Nurglite models, of course, in which case they get a free pass on anything icky :wink:

Phew, so much for that poor smurf...

Was there anything else? Oh, right, the kneepads: I have to say that I am getting used to them and, like Biohazard and Auggs, I really appreciate how they make the legs look different from those of a standard Bloodthirster. I might as well try using them as shin guards, while they are still loose, even if I'm pretty sure that I am not going to like the effect. But what the heck, right?

In other news, the next thing left to do will be the base, and I would like to run a somewhat out-there idea by you and get some feedback on it, so here goes:

The stock Bloodthirster I painted for the ETL got quite a base, with lots of customisation and special effects, which really raised the bar for me and means I will need to come up with something pretty nifty to beat that. There's also the fact that I like the idea of this Angron model not really being locked into the 30k or 40k timeframe, but rather serving as a connecting piece between the 30k and 40k incarnations of my World Eaters: After all, Angron ascended during the mid-Heresy, so he would basically look like this as early as M31, right? And he'd still be looking like this in M41, give or take a few scars and skull trophies :wink:

But if I really go through with this, I need a base that would work with both versions of the army -- which is complicated, because my 30k and 40k models use different styles of basing (and consciously so, I might add). So here's that crazy idea I was talking about:

How about I sidestep the issue by not putting Angron on a standard base, but by basing him on this piece of terrain from the Honoured Imperium kit:

daemon-primarch-angron-pip-84.jpg

Could there be anything more fitting for the bestial might of a Daemon Primarch than standing (well, floating) triumphant on a shattered Imperial aquila of that size? The piece would also have enough space for the missing half of that poor Astartes, plus maybe one or two of his buddies. It could be painted in suitably neutral colours that would work with both versions of my army (although there's not really a 30k army yet, but you get what I mean). And while it would turn my Angron into more of a mini-diorama of sorts, I think the model really warrants the extra bit of oomph. Here's a very primitive mockup:

daemon-primarch-angron-pip-85.jpg

Of course I do realise that there are quite a few problems about this idea: The terrain piece is quite a bit bigger than the regular base, and also pretty unhandy -- but then, it's not like this guy will be getting huge amounts of game time or anything. And maybe it's just a foolish idea to begin with. So please let me hear your feedback on this matter!

Oh, one last thing, because Auggie asked:

Yeah, in hindsight it would have been amazing to enter Angron as an 11th hour ETL vow, and maybe, just maybe, I would have had my one small chance at some kind of best of show badge. But then again, there was really no telling how fast I was going to paint this guy beforehand, and having to slap on some colours to meet the deadline would have sucked royally, so leaving him off the records does feel like the right decision, all things considered.

Anyway, as always, let me know what you think! :smile.:

Edited by KrautScientist

Maybe if you can cut a circle of the size of the normal bloodthirster base to play with him but at the same time use the rest of the aquila as a display base?

Something like this:

99560102149_AbaddonLoken01a.jpg

To

99560102149_AbaddonLoken03.jpg

perhaps?

Much work but can do the trick :)

I really like the idea but how sturdy is that terrain piece? If I remember correct is it not quite thin? How about having the wing of the Aquila to the (our) left in the pic? It looks like it could be about the same size roughly as the stock Thirster base. If you could cut that section from the piece and add it to his base it would give you a little more height and would still show the shattered imperial symbol, it could also prove to be a better anchor for the Thirster. Ive had too many models knocked over so if be really paranoid and pinning the model as much as possible to the base.

I think I rambled a little there. I've made a really crude pic to show the area I'd choose. That gives you the double head and part of the wing.

http://i113.photobucket.com/albums/n235/Stovie_2006/Biohazards%20Worldeaters/3B04FD88-146B-48F4-B77C-58AB2FEABD36.jpg

If the Aquila is hollow it would give plenty of space to hide gs etc for pinning the model into.

Edited by Biohazard

This is beautiful. *wipes tear from eye*

Kneepads help differentiate him even more from the stock 'Thirster, so I say keep them.

The aquila would be a perfect base! The eagle's wings even kind of mirror Angron's demonic wings, which is a nice touch.